Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Jerry Cotton posted:

You know I still haven't actually heard that song even though it was like the biggest hit of 2017 (or was it 2016?)

I think you're thinking of Despacito

E: ah ha wooosh. I'm dumb.

Lowness 72 fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Feb 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

I think you're thinking of Despacito

:wth:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I can hear audiophiles weeping:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-XdK8aq00g

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

qirex posted:

Most of the newer club setups I've seen are hanging line arrays/horns and a shitload of subs on the floor.

The place I worked at back in the day had 8 18s on the floor and a shitload of hanging horns.

The only line arrays I ever really had any contact with were the LS-6s made by av123, the production of which coincided with the owner/CEO getting carted off to jail for a variety of fraud charges and a lot of people never getting the speakers they paid many thousands of dollars for.

http://www.stereomojo.com/LS6%20review/AV123LS6review.htm

http://www.audioholics.com/news/av123-mark-schifter-indicted-grand-jury

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Techmoan reviews the Spinbox cardboard turntable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEkj4BVaD0s

He doesn't even try to hide his disdain.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3850689

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

:stare:

That is a lot of money to spend on computer speaker amps. It's a bit silly but at least he's not yammering about cable risers or some poo poo. Just buying a bunch of somewhat expensive gear.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And yammering about the supposed sound signatures of solid state amps...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

And yammering about the supposed sound signatures of solid state amps...
Read the OP, these all have DAC, preamp, amp. This isn't audiophile woo, you have to be deaf not to hear the differences.

shortspecialbus posted:

:stare:

That is a lot of money to spend on computer speaker amps. It's a bit silly but at least he's not yammering about cable risers or some poo poo. Just buying a bunch of somewhat expensive gear.
$2000 is my max upper limit and even that would be stretching it, having heard $40k+ setups am well acquainted with the law of diminishing returns. Guy in front of me in line when I bought the Hegel was purchasing a $1200 AC cable, lol.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 2, 2018

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
A DAC or amp that does anything to change how the signal sounds is either designed wrong or broken. A preamp could have an EQ or treble and bass controls but if they can't be defeated then it's junk. Any DAC/amp/preamp combo that can't output the original signal, but louder, is garbage for idiots.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Imagine my frustration that so many of these units have been garbage for idiots.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Imagine my frustration that so many of these units have been garbage for idiots.

TBF, this does describe a lot of hi-fi gear :v:

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I think the big problem here is you keep trying to spend over a grand to power some speakers for your computer. That's just asking for added unwanted audiophile bullshit.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I like that this is the attitude in the same forum where people return monitors multiple times for IPS backlight bleed.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Are you returning the amps?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's coming from inside the thread!

Read the OP, these all have DAC, preamp, amp. This isn't audiophile woo, you have to be deaf not to hear the differences.

No, you either have to be a crazy audiophile to hear stuff that isn't there, or you're looking at absolute garbage equipment. None of the stuff you posted fits that description.

quote:

$2000 is my max upper limit and even that would be stretching it, having heard $40k+ setups am well acquainted with the law of diminishing returns. Guy in front of me in line when I bought the Hegel was purchasing a $1200 AC cable, lol.

$2K is entering into crazy price territory, even for a full-blown AV receiver. Just because some guy is worse than you, doesn't make your overpriced purchases justified.

Well, you bought them ;)

I like that this is the attitude in the same forum where people return monitors multiple times for IPS backlight bleed.

Because that is a real, genuine and easily verifiable issue.

The supposed "sound signature" of a DAC is not.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 2, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

^ That sure is a lot of butthurt over someone else spending $400 on a decent amp rather than your $28 Shenzen special.

shortspecialbus posted:

Are you returning the amps?
Oh yeah lol, I only have one of these at a time. Except for the A-9010, because it's $200 and rules. But it's too big to fit on my desk really, which was the main point of the enterprise: find something with all those features and doesn't take up my whole desk.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 2, 2018

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Look man, I'm sorry I ragged on you so hard you closed your thread and deleted the OP. I wasn't serious when I told you to get a $20 amp. But you have to understand that people would be willing to point you at a reasonable solution that fits your needs, but it's clear from your language that anything suggested wouldn't be good enough for reasons that are totally in your head. My main stereo system costs less than $2000 with everything included and it sounds great. How you can spend that kind of money on desktop amps over and over and not be happy is beyond me.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Mister Kingdom posted:

Techmoan reviews the Spinbox cardboard turntable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEkj4BVaD0s

He doesn't even try to hide his disdain.

This would actually be cool and educational if it was 1/5 the cost.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

TomR posted:

Look man, I'm sorry I ragged on you so hard you closed your thread and deleted the OP. I wasn't serious when I told you to get a $20 amp. But you have to understand that people would be willing to point you at a reasonable solution that fits your needs, but it's clear from your language that anything suggested wouldn't be good enough for reasons that are totally in your head. My main stereo system costs less than $2000 with everything included and it sounds great. How you can spend that kind of money on desktop amps over and over and not be happy is beyond me.
Holy poo poo after all that it comes out that you actually spent more on your setup than I did. Lmfao.

You really didn't read the OP at all, this is what I have right now. Everything all together, speakers, sub and amp, was $1400.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 2, 2018

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

TomR posted:

Keep in mind he's literally too loving stupid to just buy a bigger desk (which he could obviously afford):

But it's too big to fit on my desk really, which was the main point of the enterprise: find something with all those features and doesn't take up my whole desk.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yes, the ridicule audiophiles thread recommends purchasing a giant fuckoff desk just to put a huge receiver on it to power bookshelf speakers.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yes, the ridicule audiophiles thread recommends purchasing a giant fuckoff desk just to put a huge receiver on it to power bookshelf speakers.

No I recommend you poo poo the gently caress off.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Here man, check this out: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389259&pagenumber=197#post481732723
See there how someone recommends a solution that makes sense? That's what goes on around here. Sorry about your anger problems.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yo Kotex what speakers do you have? Genuinely curious.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paradigm Studio 10 v.5, got a deal on demos. They are really neutral and transparent while still being lots of fun. It's hard to imagine wanting more speaker than this, although have to keep the grills on because the driver area is pretty ugly. I hear the newer Paradigms are not as good though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Mar 2, 2018

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

You're obviously not opposed to tweaking stuff, I bet if you used a minidsp with a basic amp you'd get much better results than constantly buying and returning kilobuck gear.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

TomR posted:

I think the big problem here is you keep trying to spend over a grand to power some speakers for your computer. That's just asking for added unwanted audiophile bullshit.

My desktop setup is this:

Through these:

and it definitely sounds almost as good as this:

Please help. I don't know how to audiophile very good.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

My desktop setup is this:

Through these:

and it definitely sounds almost as good as this:

Please help. I don't know how to audiophile very good.

I don't see a problem here. You like how it sounds? I don't think KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD had a bad setup either. The "issue" that we were making fun of was buying a handful of $$$ amps and claiming they all sounded bad.

An amp should be neutral sounding, unless you want some vintage sound or a guitar amp or something. But this day and age you should be able to find a small amp that is clean and if you want to color or tweak the sound use a DSP of some sort like qirex suggests.

At my computer I have nothing but garbage, literally $20 garage sale speakers and a cheap t-amp. It sounds fine, but I wouldn't do critical listening with it. I also have a magni and HD 580 headphones I sometimes use if I want to listen to music at my computer. In my livingroom where I do my music listening I have a pair of Behringer B212XL, an Onkyo 5.1 receiver and a Polk sub. I also have a pair of Paradigm rears for movie watching I got used. It's not fancy but with Audyssey and the minimal room treatment I have it sounds great. I don't know what it cost all together but it's well under $2000, probably closer to $1000.
Go ahead and rip me apart for my gear choices KOTEX, I can take it.

TomR fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 2, 2018

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I really don't care? I'm glad you like your setup, I don't understand why you're still throwing a temper tantrum.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

What you can do with a cheap [or less cheap] DSP and a $75 mic is pretty amazing. My next receiver will either have Dirac or at least a pre out/main in loop built in. It's a great solution if you don't want to go full grognard on room treatment and toe in angles.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Maybe this can be a Double Mod Challenge thread.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I'm just discussing audio stuff in an audio thread on a forum. This one is for making fun of audiophiles and sometimes it's the goon who is the audiophile.

A chat about DSPs, DACs and amps etc. and how to get the best sound out of them would probably be pretty interesting. I didn't put much effort past running the full Audyssey setup and playing a few sweeps to make sure there were no major issues when I got my new speakers. Found out I can only hear up to 16khz. I have a big window behind the listening position so I put up some heavy curtains that I can close to stop reflections and a rug on the hardwood floor.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah I'd be down to read DSP discussion, that'd be fun!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Throw it all together under a Room Correction heading, to cover the various options.

You can use the built in functions in receivers (Audyssey, YPAO, MCACC, Dirac) or something like a standalone Dirac MiniDSP box.

Or for a simpler setup, you can use normal parametric EQ based on REW measurements, on one of the cheaper MiniDSP boxes or a pro audio speaker controller/processor.

I'm doing the latter, using a dbx Driverack PX that I got very cheap second hand. I could possibly see myself replacing it with a MiniDSP, but the Dirac-capable models are rather expensive.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

TomR posted:

I don't see a problem here.

Well I'm sad you didn't take the bait, then.
But I did build a boom box out of a 50w t-amp, some Minimus 11's, and a bunch of UPS batteries for camping. It sounded pretty loving good and I was happy about it.

Serious post: How the gently caress do we not have an actual Home Theater or serious thread about audio stuff beyond the "babby's first stereo" thread. We have a bunch of other threads that sort of dance around the topic.
Getting your first home audio system? Read this.
Post your AV set-up
PC speakers - need a recommendation which is kind of a far cry from serious audio stuff (unless you're Kotex apparently)
Turntable/Vinyl/2-channel Stereo/Vintage thread which is incredibly my poo poo, but isn't much one for the technological advances of things like DSP, and doesn't cover multi channel setups.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Sounds like an awesome boombox. I used to work in a place that made car audio stuff. I'd design subwoofer boxes and program the CNC machine to cut out the parts and help build jigs for cutting out all the parts and putting them together on a production line. We made a few awesome boomboxes, but they were always super heavy being made out of MDF. Good times.

A home theater, room treatment, serious audio discussion thread would be nice. It's so hard to sift through a place like AVS or get a straight answer from people who think you need four 18" subs to enjoy a movie. If KozmoNaut did an OP about it I'd contribute.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

I really don't care? I'm glad you like your setup, I don't understand why you're still throwing a temper tantrum.

Nobody is throwing a temper tantrum. We're making fun of you for being an idiot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

TomR posted:

A home theater, room treatment, serious audio discussion thread would be nice. It's so hard to sift through a place like AVS or get a straight answer from people who think you need four 18" subs to enjoy a movie. If KozmoNaut did an OP about it I'd contribute.

I'm not an expert by any means, and I'm very limited on time at the moment.

But thank you for the vote of confidence :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

grack posted:

Nobody is throwing a temper tantrum. We're making fun of you for being an idiot.
The guy who spent more money than me on audio equipment is making fun of me for spending money on audio equipment.

It's me. I'm the idiot.