Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

FPzero posted:

: Hey, what are you doing...? It's decided by a majority vote, so just don't hink about it and press "Graduate."

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I don't know if it's a carryover from the original game or a slip up on NISA's part, but yeah, they called the wrong Fuyuhiko sprite for that one line of dialogue. That's a pretty big "Oops"!

Thanks, fixed.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

> Press "Graduate"

: I got it!

: Don't press it! This is...Junko's trap!

...Huh!?

: Wh-What the heck!? That guy from earlier is back again!

: It's not "again"... This time it's the real one.

: ...Real?

: I'm Makoto Naegi...Makoto Naegi of the Future Foundation!

Th-This guy...is the real Makoto Naegi?

Then...this is the guy I spoke to?

: I'm sorry I'm late...I actually wanted to come rescue you sooner but, thanks to the virus infecting the Neo World Program, I wasn't able to enter.
: Just when the chumps are in a pinch, he's suddenly able to enter for reasons unknown...
: And thus, the main character gallantly appears!
: Kyahahaha, soooo cool! I'm drooooooling so, sooooo much!
: Did you also...time my arrival?
: No...it doesn't matter!

: I'm going to save everyone! And then I'm going to settle this between us once and for all!
: Ahhhhhhhhh...I'm drooooooooooling! I can't stop my leeeeeaaaaakiiiiiiiing!

: H-How...were you able to get here, Makoto?
: Since I used my tricks to hack into the program, he must've hacked in with his tricks too, right? That's also how you kept your memories, right? Even though you haven't aged a day, just like these guys.
: If I hadn't...then I wouldn't have been able to save everyone.
: ...Don't you understand? It doesn't matter how you got here. As long as you're here, you'll be treated like one of my students.

: Which means...you must respect my authority...
: I already know...the risks of being here...
: Ugh! You always had such reckless hope! I love you sooooo much that you disgust me!

: Hey, just what do you mean by "trap"? What is Junko's trap?
: I-It doesn't matter!

: We...we can finally end this, you know... If we get out of here...it'll all resolve itself peacefully...
: After all this, I can't let you get in the way!

: The fact that you guys are even thinking like that is Junko's trap...
: ...Huh?

: She's lying to you about your dead friends coming back to life!
: Who, little ol' me!?
: Who do we trust!?
: If you knew Junko's true goal, you'd know she's lying...
: ...You know her goal?

: Yeah... Junko's goal is to convert the Hope Restoration Program to the Despair Restoration Program.
: The...Despair Restoration Program?
: As part of the Graduation Program, your avatar's memory and consciousness is uploaded into your real body... However, none of us expected that any of the avatars would get deleted.

: Junko has taken advantage of that opportunity... She intends to use her version of Alter Ego, the AI she stole my friend's skill to create...
: ...and upload herself into the bodies of everyone whose avatar was deleted!
: What...!?

: Th-Then...everyone who died isn't gonna come back to life...
: They're gonna be taken over by Junko!?
: Wh-What the gently caress...?
: Like the real world, once an avatar is deleted from this virtual world, it can't be recovered... It's actually impossible to revive them...

: That doesn't mean I was lying, you know? I just didn't make sooooome things clear. And...even if they're overwritten by my Alter Ego, it doesn't mean they'll be a completely different person.
: The data of everyone who died is stored within me, so I'm sure I can convincingly act out their personalities.
: D-Don't mess with me...!
: In fact, I have a looooooot of data on Fuyuhiko, so I know some things that'll make you happy...
: I could play a version of Peko that's more to your liking than she ever was!
: I said...DON'T loving MESS WITH MEEEEE!!!

: Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Operation: Junko-fy All Mankind begins here!

..Junko-fy All Mankind?

: After uploading my Alter Ego into everyone who died, I'm gonna take over the Future Foundation's headquarters...

: And then...eventually, there's gonna be a whole lotta me's all over the world! With this...my despair utopia, where you can despair as you please, Junkoland, will be complete!
: That's Operation: Junko-fy All Mankind in a nutshell! Aw yeah! Our dreams are expanding-anding-anding!

: Th-That messed up plan...is your goal?
: Then...why didn't you just kill all of us? If you did, you could've taken over all of our bodies... Wouldn't that have been more convenient for you?
: Is that what you want me to do? Is it still too late to do that?

: No, there's a reason Junko couldn't do that. That's why she made you guys kill each other.

The reason...she wasn't able to do that? Was it because there was something she *didn't* do...? If so, then the reason is...

> The school trip's rules

: I got it... It's because of the school trip's rules.
: E-Even a monster like her has to follow the rules of the school trip!?
: Junko usurped Usami's authority as an Observer and her role as your teacher...
: However, according to the rules of the school trip, even Usami had to follow them. That's why when Junko took over her position, she had no choice but to follow the rules as well.

: So...the rules were protecting us?
: Man, I was soooo annoyed... I had the authority to add rules, but no authority to delete rules.
: Oh well, even if I could've deleted rules, I was still busy with my whole "taking over your bodies" plan.

: So you made us kill each other...'cause you couldn't kill us yourself...
: Then...is that how you were able to increase the number of bodies you can take over?
: Like I said, I personally didn't care about the outcome of the killings.
: H-How dare you look down on us...!
: Don't gently caress with me! What about our lives!?

: Heh... Chump change.
: Ugh...!
: I...I won't forgive you...! I will...never, EVER loving forgive you...!
: So that's your trap...

: You tried to make us choose "Graduate" so you can take over everyone's body with the Graduation Program...!
: H-How? How can you be so cruel?
: Because Junko Enoshima is...the True Ultimate Despair.
: She doesn't yearn for any kind of future at all... She fills every person she meets with despair!
: That's my Makoto... You understand me soooooo well.

: For me, despair is not a goal, or a set of principles, or a lifestyle, or even an instinct... It's what defines me as Junko Enoshima! It's just my characterization!
: That's why I'm able to pursue despair with such purity!
: S-So you're saying you only exist...to fill people with despair?
: For example...wanna hear about a beautiful memory that even I, who gets bored easily, still remember fondly...?

: Picture thousands of fools who are madly in love with me dying one by one like insects doused with bug spray...
: And the best part is...they did it to themselves, you know!?
: Thousands of humans falling like dominoes... Ahhhh...that memory is soooo beautiful, it made my brain melt...
: Yeah, about that... Does that story have a happy ending?

Could it be...? Is she talking about..."them" right now?

> The Reserve Course students

: Are you talking about...the Reserve Course's mass suicide?
: Oh yeah, I totally forgot you're a survivor of the Reserve Course. By the way...I'm so sorry for your loss.
: M-Mass suicide? What's she talkin' about!?

: An incident where 2,357 people from the Reserve Course all killed themselves. Junko probably made them do it...
: 2,357 people!? That's an outrageous number!
: You don't hafta be *that* surprised. You all look like your parents, friends, and lovers all died at once.
: Ah, that was so rude of me... There's no way you guys even have meaningful relationships like that anymore... I mean, you're all Ultimate Despair... You guys have already eaten your fill of despair...

: I-I do not really know what you are trying to say...
: Junko robs the futures of everyone she interacts with... You Ultimate Despairs are among her many victims...
: If shomeone like me ish born, that meansh the world ish yearning for deshpair!
: That's wrong! The world isn't yearning for despair! That's the reason we can't let you escape!
: But if you do that...you guys won't be able to return to the real world, right?
: ...Huh?

: If we choose "Graduate" to get out of here, the Graduation Program will activate, right...?
: If that happens...Junko's Alter Ego will be uploaded into the bodies of the dead...
: Does that mean we gotta stay here to keep her from gettin' out!?
: Wh-What the heck...? Why...does it have to be like that...?
: It's such a cruel fate for you guys, but it's awfully convenient for the Future Foundation. They'll be able to keep all the Ultimate Despairs, including me, trapped in this game forever.

: W-Wrong! That's not it!
: But Ultimate Despair is hated worldwide, and their lives are no doubt targeted by the Future Foundation...
: Oh well, if you don't want to acknowledge that, I guess it just can't be helped, can't be helped! *giggle* LOL
: This is nothing to LOL about!
: But it's so ironic...you came all the way here just to find out that graduating is the wrong choice...

: Even though you came all this way to win the game. Even though you kept sacrificing your friends to win.
: ...Gh!
: The goal you guys squirmed to reach was wrong all along. Isn't that just sooooo fuckin' tragic!
: S-STOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP IIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTT!

...It was all a mistake? Was this really just a mistake?

Was it a mistake to think we'd go home alive all along?

What about the killings and the class trials?

Was this just a meaningless killing game where the Ultimate Despairs killed each other off?

Th-That...

Th-This is just too...

: ...Don't give up yet!

: There *is* a way you guys can get out of here, without letting Junko out!

...Huh!?

: No, no, there's no way such a convenient...

: Huh? There is? Really? That's the first I've heard of it!

F-First she's heard of it...? Then...it's a way that even Junko doesn't know, right?

The way to get out that Junko doesn't know about... It might be "that!"

> Present "Shutdown Sequence"

: ...Are you talking about the shutdown sequence?
: Shutdown sequence...? What is that?
: It's a hidden command I set up in the Neo World Program...
: H-Hidden command...?

: Basically, I never believed the Neo World Program was a perfect solution.
: There was always a possibility that Usami's hope might have made things even worse for you guys... So I prepared a way to shutdown the program in case of emergencies.
: As I recall, you said it was a command that not even the teacher can stop!
: Then that means even Junko can't stop it!

: ...Dear me, I have an unfortunate announcement to make, class. You cannot activate the shutdown.

...Huh?

: You...you know about it?
: More importantly, do you know why? Do you know why you can't activate the shutdown?

The reason...the shutdown sequence can't be activated is...?

> Not enough people

: Because...there's not enough people?
: Ahem! Pay attention, class! According to my information, in order to initiate the shutdown...

: Out of fifteen people, more than half of them must press "Graduate" and "Repeat" at the same time...
: ...Am I correct?

: However, out of fifteen people, including Makoto, there are only six people here.
: Even if you wanna cheat, I won't let ya!
: The shutdown sequence won't activate unless it knows that different people initiated it...

: So it's tooootally impossible!
: ...
: Y-You totally saw through that supposedly "hidden" command!?

: No need to worry...even I knew we couldn't activate the shutdown...
: You still came here when you knew we had no chance of winning?
: It's not that we have no chance of winning... The only reason I'm here is because there *is* a chance.

: Then try explaining it to us! What is this "chance of winning" of which you speak!?

: I believe...

: Eh, whaaaaat? I can't hear you. You gotta speak up since you're soooooo puny.

: I believe in them! I believe they will definitely come!

Th-Them...?

: That's not something you need to take your time saying.

: "Believe"...? Try putting yourself in our shoes before you drag us into situations like this...

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
nvm

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

JUNKOS

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

i think I remember oren saying he got to this point of the game around the time the DR1 LP thread was in full on "im not saying its junkos............but its junkos" and had to put the game down :allears:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Truly, Byakuya is here to save the day.

Just as planned in the beginning :shepface:

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

EXCUSE ME sir that is a bannable offense, you should be the one put on trial here. :cop:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FPzero posted:

EXCUSE ME sir that is a bannable offense, you should be the one put on trial here. :cop:

I trust you already have an appropriate and despair inducing way of punishing Fedule.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
Junko did the pose :3:

I really hate Naegi's voice, but I can forgive it because the end of this video :dance:

I do wonder why you cut it there, are the rest dead or just not on Naegi's side? Or not coming along for some other reason?

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 2, 2018

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hunt11 posted:

I trust you already have an appropriate and despair inducing way of punishing Fedule.

edit:

eating only apples posted:

I do wonder why you cut it there, are the rest dead or just not on Naegi's side? Or not coming along for some other reason?

It's just those two (for now?) and it's really hard to find good update cut off points when there's literally 40 minutes of dialogue between minigames sometimes.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

FPzero posted:

It's just those two (for now?) and it's really hard to find good update cut off points when there's literally 40 minutes of dialogue between minigames sometimes.

It was speculation, not criticism!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

JUNCOS

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

FPzero posted:

: That's Operation: Junko-fy All Mankind in a nutshell! Aw yeah! Our dreams are expanding-anding-anding!
The delivery on that line is incredible

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

FPzero posted:

: So it's tooootally impossible!
I was soooooo disappointed they didn't go with "useless useless useless useless useless" or whatever variant with the camera angle changes here. DIO does say mudamudamuda more than murimurimuri but still :smith: my jojo references...!

The rhythm of "so it's tooootally impossible" don't even match the angle switches. That's probably my actual criticism of the voice direction here--I know how unwieldy 'useless' is to repeat. They could've used "it's-not-gon-na happen!" or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, yeah, the three protagonists of DR1 are here. Yay. :dance:

Look what you goons have done with your memes. :argh:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 2, 2018

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Look what you goons have done with your memes. :argh:

ngl, knowing what an influence oren's original DR1 LP thread was in getting the series localized, I wasn't sure that this wasn't a nod to JUNKOS until I checked the original release dates

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Wait, if a teacher can't directly interfere with the students, then how did she get away with locking them up in a funhouse?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I'm actually disappointed with Junko here, and I think she's missing the trees for the forest. Like, her goal is to fill the whole world with despair but she's messing up all of this despair that's right in front of her.

Think about the remnants of despair and their decision - they may return to life in a world where everyone justifiably hates them, where the Future Foundation (and others I'm sure) is out to murder them, where all of their friends and family are dead and it's their own fault. To mutilated selves and the mindless bodies of their classmates. To Junko's body parts attached who knows where. Imagine them learning all of the things they've done.

But because of her they're not really thinking about that. They have an enemy to unite against, a higher priority to think about.

C'mon, Junko. Despair quality over despair quantity!

(Also Junkoland is a poo poo idea that she'd get bored of in like 20 seconds and where does she go from there? Yeah, failing at a plan is despair and she loves that poo poo, but c'mon.)

Qrr fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 2, 2018

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
junko .exe makes even less sense than junko did

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Mraagvpeine posted:

Wait, if a teacher can't directly interfere with the students, then how did she get away with locking them up in a funhouse?

It’s not her fault if they climb into an obvious trap of their own free will.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hemingway To Go! posted:

junko .exe makes even less sense than junko did

I'm kinda curious how/when she made Junko.EXE in the first place.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm kinda curious how/when she made Junko.EXE in the first place.

She had about a year or so after the Tragedy where Class 78 was cooped up in Hope's Peak. Plenty of time to sneak peeks at whatever Chihiro had built and make her own copy/adjustments.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also original Alter Ego was very capable of copying other people given enough time, that's how it gets Taka over his depression after all. Enough time with a blank state Alter Ego reading from Junko would produce a pretty close to real Junko AI, much like Original Alter Ego is largely Chihiro but not quite.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Aoi, Yasuhiro and Toko were probably evaluated as too high-risk to confront Junko within her game. Plus someone has to alert rest of FF if things go wrong.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.

GuyUpNorth posted:

Aoi, Yasuhiro and Toko were probably evaluated as too high-risk to confront Junko within her game. Plus someone has to alert rest of FF if things go wrong.

I was going to ask why Yasuhiro would be considered too high-risk, but then I remembered the whole "have to convince him that Kyoko wasn't the murder victim and the one standing in front of him isn't a ghost so we can proceed with the trial to determine whether she's the murderer" thing from Trial 5.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The villain of Danganronpa 2 and the villain of the Kingdom Hearts series have the same plan.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Terper posted:

The villain of Danganronpa 2 and the villain of the Kingdom Hearts series have the same plan.

But how many people are inside Naegi at this point? If we're discussing this parallel.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
"Me? I'm already half Junko"

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Terper posted:

I mean, so did The Master.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

D'you think Junko would upload herself into the hamsters?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Are the hamsters real or are they just parts of the Neo World Program?

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Do you think the hamsters have 4 little hamster-sized hamster pods to upload them into the game?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Remember that 2 years have passed in the real world, and consider hamster lifespans. Also recall that the remnants murdered everyone they loved.

There are no adorable hamster pods, only simulated hamsters and sadness.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

Monokuma was able to fatally injure Fuyuhiko and Nekamaru, he was just forced to "repair" the damage afterward. Either Monokuma would eventually have been forced to provide food/let them go before anyone actually starved or they couldn't actually die from starvation (which would conveniently explain how they survived without water).

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mraagvpeine posted:

That's not interfering with students, that's interfering with locks.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Qrr posted:

Remember that 2 years have passed in the real world, and consider hamster lifespans. Also recall that the remnants murdered everyone they loved.

There are no adorable hamster pods, only simulated hamsters and sadness.

Man now I'm glad Gundam died. I wouldn't want him to be without his buddies.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Stroth posted:

It’s not her fault if they climb into an obvious trap of their own free will.

Yeah, the only thing she did was tell them to go there and they did.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, the only thing she did was tell them to go there and they did.

The despair virus from case 3 is way more interference with students anyway, but I doubt the writers gave it much thought beyond needing an excuse for why Junko doesn't just delete everyone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Pushing to new page.

• Locked thread