Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

The Fool posted:

We all know that the passwords are plaintext in an sql database, just run an update query.
I had a similar issue with our LMS a couple years back. Our vendor has a separate hash value that prevents this kind of update from the admin side. They had the ability to do the query when I filed a ticket, but I couldn't do it on my end.

Edit: I can't run any queries at all, but sometimes I can fake the same effort using an import file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

Please do not touch the structural cabling.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cloud computing refers to weight, right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's why VGA is the superior video standard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Where's the picture from a while back with the UPS and network gear suspended with string so a room could be painted?

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Hang in there, baby

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Taking bets on which gives way first, the cable or the port. I'll give you 7:1 odds on cable giving way first.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Merijn posted:

Just expire the lot and force the students change them on the next login. :black101:

Sigh. If only it were that simple. Passwords are assigned by us to the kids since there are multiple, unconnected services they need credentials for, and some of the kids in question are as young as 9 so we like to keep all of their credentials for these various services the same so they have less to remember. If we let them pick their own passwords it would be chaos, and my job would be reduced to resetting passwords all day because they forgot what they changed it to 20 minutes ago.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

MF_James posted:

Taking bets on which gives way first, the cable or the port. I'll give you 7:1 odds on cable giving way first.

This tempts me.... but I happen to believe the cable will go before the port. I've seen the little screws rip right off.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

MF_James posted:

Odds on the wall giving way first? I'll take that bet.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Question for those of you who know more about the loving mess that is Microsoft's licensing.

How does VM licensing work for desktop OS installs on a virtual host - ie - an older physical server running VMWare, and I want to run say 6 separate Windows 7/10 installs on it. These are not going to be remoted into/used, its just a test environment for being able to replicate specific software settings and comparing operability. So we'd only ever log on to those VM's from the host, we wouldn't be remoting into them from anything else.

Would we just need regular OEM windows keys? Retail keys? Some kind of magical VM key that costs $$$$$?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Setup a KMS server and use KMS keys. Buy some Windows 10 seats from Newegg and you'll be fine if you get audited.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Load bearing vga. I see grover decided to go into IT.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Siochain posted:

Question for those of you who know more about the loving mess that is Microsoft's licensing.

How does VM licensing work for desktop OS installs on a virtual host - ie - an older physical server running VMWare, and I want to run say 6 separate Windows 7/10 installs on it. These are not going to be remoted into/used, its just a test environment for being able to replicate specific software settings and comparing operability. So we'd only ever log on to those VM's from the host, we wouldn't be remoting into them from anything else.

Would we just need regular OEM windows keys? Retail keys? Some kind of magical VM key that costs $$$$$?

MS haven't really given anybody a nice way to do VDI licensing, probably on purpose. I think you can just buy some retail boxed copies if you want the simplest way to go about it, Volume Licenses for the Windows client are upgrades only, so you need to have OEM licenses which you can't buy just to install in a virtual environment.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
Doesn't Microsoft provide testing VMs that don't need to be licensed at all? They even suggest snapshots so that you can roll back when they expire after 90 days. Do those not fit your use case or is there some licensing gotcha I'm unaware of?

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Specifically for testing configurations etc., a TechNet subscription should also give you unlimited installs of various OS versions, Office versions, and more. You just aren't allowed to use them for actual production.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

[spam] FW: RE: A ticket came in - it's not that I'm lazy... (High Importance)

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

nielsm posted:

Specifically for testing configurations etc., a TechNet subscription should also give you unlimited installs of various OS versions, Office versions, and more. You just aren't allowed to use them for actual production.

Thanks for the replies all. I was thinking Technet, but these are systems that albeit not production, are kind of going to be production. Effectively, we're trying to track some long-term data, and the software we're using does weird things if you change settings over time. So we want to configure 4 or 5 systems with varying configurations, feed data into them and then track the output over a few months. Then management can determine the "best" config. So I guess its kinda-sortof production. Might just get a few Win 7 or 10 keys from our reseller and go from there.

Thanks all!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Quit your moanin' They used the mounting screws in the cable. That's what they're there for.

Edit: Just realised you were refering to the drape job on the network and power cables. Agreed. Those look unsafe.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

terrenblade posted:

[spam] FW: RE: A ticket came in - it's not that I'm lazy... (High Importance)

FW: FUNNY! [spam] FW: RE: Re: RE: RE:A ticket came in - it's not that I'm lazy... (High Importance).msi

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
This is why we get to have nice things (when that VGA cord inevitably rips out of the box).

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Re: [SPAM] FW: RE: A Ticket Came In - I Just Don’t Care

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Siochain posted:

That sound like an edge scenario that might call for VDA licenses since there is no correspondant client with sa to escape the vda constraints/requirements

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

MF_James posted:

I’ll give you 16:9 odds.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Agrikk posted:

I’ll give you 16:9 odds.

16 by 9 is 144 which is even.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Tried to find the original source for this image, in hopes of getting more info. It the process, found it as a part of a list of "tech gore":

https://mashable.com/2016/07/09/tech-support-gore/?geo=AS&utm_cid=mash-prod-nav-geo#v8APGKcImOqc

:stonk:

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Sirotan posted:

Tried to find the original source for this image, in hopes of getting more info. It the process, found it as a part of a list of "tech gore":

https://mashable.com/2016/07/09/tech-support-gore/?geo=AS&utm_cid=mash-prod-nav-geo#v8APGKcImOqc

lol the mouse plugged into the USB charger is amazing, that's going to be one powerful loving mouse.

Also the projectors bungie corded together.

I mean all of the pictures are great, but I got a good chuckle from those.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 3, 2018

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sirotan posted:

The soldered together headset plugs is actually pretty awesome.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The lightswitch controlling the wireless reminds me of this "light switch" I saw a while back:

Those first three switches control the power for the PLCs that run the large, important industrial equipment in a multi-milllion dollar malting plant that produces a significant fraction of the malted grain used by some of north america's top breweries.
The fourth one controls the power for that light bulb that's whiting out the frame in the first picture.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Eh, it's not like anyone is going to miss American beer

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's a good example of how not to label something

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

spankmeister posted:

Eh, it's not like anyone is going to miss American beer

They said North American which I assume means Canadian

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

That's a good example of how not to label something

Those type of breaker boxes are everywhere around here and I’ve never ever seen one labeled well. Usually it’s scrawled in faded pencil in the inscrutable handwriting of some 1980s electrician.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

I’ve never understood why Sharpie isn’t mandatory for those things.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Haven't people heard of dymo labelmakers?! :cripes:

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Wibla posted:

"But ah got this pencil right here, what now, smart guy?" - a million sparkies in the 1980s

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Wibla posted:

They would attach the label to the layer of dust over the breaker.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Varkk posted:

They would attach the label to the layer of dust over the breaker.
Well of course. That dust is vital to maintain the electro-static equilibrium of the unit exterior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Starting to think that ctrl+win+c is the sweet spot of vividly reminding people in I.T. to lock their computers without being an rear end in a top hat about it.