Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's March. We can talk about comics in this month. You can read March, a biographic comic about civil rights leader and representative John Lewis.

How about we do a new thing?

Question of the month: What was your first comic book?

For me, ignoring a bunch of random Archie digests I got, the first I got was an issue of Classic X-Men (not X-Men Classic) that reprinted a Neal Adams X-Men story where they were in the Savage Land and ran into Magneto, but they didn't know it was him because he wasn't wearing his helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Read March. If you've already read March, read it again. It's worth your time either way.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Endless Mike posted:

That comic about Spider-Man, Storm and Luke Cage fighting a villain named Smokescreen. It was a free comic that they would pass out in health class every year or so.

First real comic was Venom: The Madness #3. The cover had that rad bad guy from the Spider-Man videogames brawling with that giant dude with the helmet from my favorite episode of the X-Men cartoon and I had to read it.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Endless Mike posted:

When I was 10 I got a digest sized reprint of the original Spider-Man/X-Men Arcade story from a Scholastic Book Fair.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Archie. I had hundreds of them and I loving loved Riverdale and its wacky cast of characters.

Euro comics like Tintin and Lucky Luke.

Ignoring Archie and the Euros, Elfquest. Fairly adult subject matter for a 7 year old to read, but by god it is a good book. For some reason it was stored with the kid comics (the Euro comics) in my local library.

I have no idea what my first cape book was. I didn’t really care for the hero comics until later.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I think my first comic book was The Mask #0. After the Jim Carrey movie I wanted more mask so I got my parents to bring me to the LCS and get it for me. For those who haven't read the mask comics it's uh... not for children lol

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I think my first comic was a Batman Beyond tie-in comic that haf Etrigan in it.

But the first comic I ever actually got by myself was an issue of Star Wars: Empire.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

site posted:

I think my first comic book was The Mask #0. After the Jim Carrey movie I wanted more mask so I got my parents to bring me to the LCS and get it for me. For those who haven't read the mask comics it's uh... not for children lol

I also had this situation.

TMNT (Eastman and Laird) #19 (Return to New York, pt.2), bought the day after seeing the movie. I was 6 and there were some scary and violent images in that ish.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 2, 2018

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I can't remember all the random ones my brother and I had to recall the very first, though I think I still have most of them in a long box. But a few distinctive early memories:

1. As a kid, they were reprinting the EC comics in pretty affordable annuals which compiled 5 issues or so. I loved them so much, all the horror and sci fi and crime. Later on I got into the war ones as well and of course early Mad. I still own reprints of all major EC books and even some of the pre trend crime ones.

2. A birthday in 2nd grade and my parents got me a basket with candy and the 6 issues of Spider-Man and the Return of the Sinister Six.

3. Late high school picking up the first Sandman trade kind of randomly in a comic shop on vacation and reading it in the car on the way home.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

One of my first comics was either archie or the elfquest issue with a very bloddy childbirth. Got it from a local goodwill for .25

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

my first comic was an Archie Sonic one. there was a train that they were trying to stop, i think. Otherwise it was Simpsons comics up until college and i had money to spend

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

My first comic was TMNT Adventures. I was a big Ninja Turtle fan as a kid and I found some of them in the spinner rack at the pharmacy.

My first superhero comic was New Mutants 39 out of a 50 cent back issue box. I liked the cover with dead kids crawling out of their graves.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The Mask and The Mask Returns collections. Thanks, mum.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

The Mask and The Mask Returns collections. Thanks, mum.

:hfive: heck ya

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Then it was the four Legion's Quest parts, not understanding anything and not actually following it up into AoA.
That might've been first, actually.

e: And then after the Death of Superman trade and a Venom collection that might've been Lethal Protector, abandoning comics for almost 15 years 'till hearing about the Sinestro Corpse War.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Mar 2, 2018

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Outside of eurocomics like Lucky Luke, Tintin and Asterix & Obelix, my first comic book was an issue of the 2003 Sentinel comic. I bought it because the local bowling alley had a Marvel vs. Capcom 2 arcade cabinet at the time and Sentinel was my favourite character in that game.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My first comic was probably a random issue of the Beano.

The first distinct comic I remember getting:

The first superhero comic I got was probably a DCAU tie-in but the first proper one was:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

First comics?

I was damned right from the start.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First actual comic was, as with the previous poster, an issue of The Beano or maybe The Dandy

First proper issue of a comic was Identity Crisis #1 :(

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I think the first comic I remember owning was one of the Archie Ninja Turtles ones. Funny enough I didn’t really get big into comics until I was in my 20s

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

First comic I ever read was a reprint of Uncanny X-Men 141-142 - Days of Future Past. First comic I ever bought was either Uncanny X-Men 263 or 264 - it's Forge and Jean Grey with tentacles in the Morlock Tunnels.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
The first comic I can recall reading was a Bloom County or Doonesbury collection from the library as a kid. The first I bought would have been somewhere in the middle of the Clone Saga/Scarlet Spider era, and I will always remember that it was loving baffling to me as a nerd-adjacent kid reading through and discovering Doc Ock was a lady now, and the daughter of Ben's mentor, whose brain was trapped in VR, and...

I didn't go back until someone showed me these hot new "Milestone" comics that were becoming real cheap in back issue bins and I've been insufferable ever since.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
My parents would get me trades, especially before a long flight, just whatever was at the airport bookstore. I remember getting The Return of Superman (the books after his funeral up through him coming back with a mullet) and a collection of Spider-Man's early fights with Hobgoblin before his identity was revealed and then retconned a bunch.

First floppy was probably Captain America fights the Asthma Monster that I got for free at Asthma camp (just like regular camp, except in addition to a counselor every cabin had an RN and our name tags had a list of allergies on the back).

First floppy I chose for myself was two issues of Spider-Man off an airport rack, it was a two parter with cool covers. He fights Scorpion in a sewer, first cover is Scorpion standing triumphant over Spidey, second is the opposite. Also features a "mystery figure" in the b story that turns out to be none other than Ben Reilly.

I read most of the clone saga from the very beginning, and because it was the comic boom and I was a kid who couldn't be trusted to not damage the comics my dad bought 2 of most every issue, 1 for me to read and one to sell at a later date to finance college. If he'd put that money in an IRA he could probably have retired by now.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bown/status/969892963181584385?s=21

I am too proud of myself

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Gavok posted:

That comic about Spider-Man, Storm and Luke Cage fighting a villain named Smokescreen. It was a free comic that they would pass out in health class every year or so.

Hah! My elementary school counselor had that one in her office.

My first comics, though, were an issue of ALF and one of Gladstone's Disney reprint series. My mom got them for me while I was in the hospital. Thanks, Mom!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Everyone in Brazil was raised with Monica's Gang comics, and I pretty much learned to read from them - and later read them for my little sister.

But for this thread's purposes, the very first comics I remember reading aside from that where given to me as kid by a cousin, a couple of issues of Spider-Man that years later I dug around the web and discovered to be Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #162 and #163. Also, a really, really good Conan story that I can't quite remember the details but he goes back to a place he had been before and didn't know that was destroyed along with a friend and I can't quite remember what happens but the climax is him and a buddy chained together and poisoned, fighting through some sort of labyrinth of monsters. They wake up after it's over, wondering if it ever happened. Wish I could find some decent Conan collections here but that's pretty hard.

Now, when I actually began collecting comics, and this is quite shameful, was after the Watchmen movie as announced. I don't remember if I bought both together, but it was a Watchmen collection in 4 tpbs and The Ultimates 1 tpb.

I still only read comics sporadically tho, at least compared to hardcore fans like you people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

When people said Doc Manhattan's blue CG dick was all over the movie I honestly thought it was a joke, up until I actually watched it. Of all the things to not change from the book...

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
In the early '80s, when I was first learning to read, my dad used to bring me home boxes full of comics from used bookstores he would frequent, constantly trading in Mack Bolan and Phoenix Force novels and gun magazines for them. Most of them were Richie Rich at first, along with pocket-sized collections of Peanuts comic strips checked out from the public library.

My first "real" comic was Transformers #5 with the classic "The Transformers ARE ALL DEAD" cover with Shockwave on it. Purchased from a spinner rack at a Miami newsstand called The Front Page, which has been closed for over 30 years.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 4, 2018

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
It's interesting so many of you remember your first specific issue. Comics were just around so much growing up, it's hard to pinpoint the very first.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A Strange Aeon posted:

It's interesting so many of you remember your first specific issue. Comics were just around so much growing up, it's hard to pinpoint the very first.

I almost certainly read some comics before that Spider-man one, because it was from 1993 and I was born in 84, but it's the first one I remember getting instead of just borrowing from the library or reading because it was already inside my house.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I guess if we're counting strips Calvin and Hobbes was my first, I started getting collections of those from scholastic book fairs in like first grade

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
My first comic was probably an Archie, but I grew up on a weird mix of Archie and Harvey comics and the 70s DC horror books (House of Mystery/Secrets, GHOSTS, The Witching Hour etc) and Jonah Hex/Scalphunter, my dad and aunt's old comics.

I also was reading MAD Magazine at probably too young an age via my dad's old Mad books. (I was probably the only kid in my school who had an idea who Spiro Agnew was, which was not the key to popularity you might expect.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I think most of us are talking about first comics that we remember pointing to in a store and either buying with our allowance, or our parents buying for us, stuff where we know we said "I want that," instead of reading whatever happened to be around the house and appealing to a pre-pubescent child. First comics I ever read I have no idea because I was reading comic strips in the newspaper since before I could actually read them, I would make my parents tell me what the word bubbles said.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, I also remember reading Maus when I was like... 8 or 9. Because it was a comic.

It was also very good, but man.

nrichprime
May 29, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

My first "real" comic was Transformers #5 with the classic "The Transformers ARE ALL DEAD" cover with Shockwave on it.

Holy poo poo are you me?

I also remember getting Amazing Spider-man #280 and Power Pack #26.

The issue I consider that I bought that I consider my start of collecting comics was Transformers #50. After buying that issue I actively looked for new issues to be released and started picking up back issues.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I remember reading my brother's comics, mostly stuff like ssoc and Warlord, but I remember the first one I bought with my own money was Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew #1.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
My cousin had a battered copy of Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man #95, part III I think of a little arc with Black Cat, Silvermane, Cloak & Dagger, and D-List bad guy The Answer. That came out in 1984, well before I was born, so he must have been holding onto it for awhile. The cover was missing, the pages were ratty, but for some reason he'd brought this mediocre Al Milgrom issue, divorced from the rest of its plot-line, along on vacation with him and left it behind for me to pore over at excruciating length. For the longest time I assumed that The Answer was a Spider-Man villain on par with Venom and Carnage, and kept being convinced he would eventually show up on the Fox cartoon.

Edit: I just dug it out and reread it and got the most intense deja vu. I couldn't read yet when it landed at our house, so I'd have my mom read it to me, probably dozens of times. There's one page that's a montage of Spidey supporting characters moping and spouting anxious and woeful thought balloons about their problems, and then JJJ crowing about his good luck, with a little caption that says basically "Well, we can't all be miserable." My mom had a lot of hurdles in her life and was and is an extraordinarily serious person, so itwas pretty rare to see her break out into out and out laughter, but that page always cracked her up. I hit that tiny panel of JJJ's beaming mug and felt just like I was a kid again.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Mar 4, 2018

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

nrichprime posted:

Holy poo poo are you me?

I also remember getting Amazing Spider-man #280 and Power Pack #26.

The issue I consider that I bought that I consider my start of collecting comics was Transformers #50. After buying that issue I actively looked for new issues to be released and started picking up back issues.

I remember starting to pay attention to continuing storylines and continuity in general for the first time with Amazing Spider-Man's "Gang War." I got #286-288 because Daredevil and Falcon showed up, and I knew who they were from the Mattel Secret Wars action figures, and then #289, that amazing Hobgoblin reveal. These were almost all from the newsstand, which you and I were probably visiting around the same time. That's also where I also found the surprisingly violent Spider-Man vs. Wolverine one-shot (another familiar face from the Secret Wars figures!), and I was absolutely shocked that Amazing #289 followed plot threads set up in Spidey vs. Wolverine.

But starting in 1986, I also obsessively read and collected DC Who's Who and Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Deluxe Edition, so as a second-grader, I was becoming a real expert on characters and storylines that I had never read or even encountered in comics before. Those really cemented my lifelong fandom, along with Marvel Saga, which reprinted key panels and had text synopses of Silver Age Lee/Kirby/Ditko Marvel stories, attempting to tie them into a larger framework (kinda like what Ed Piskor is doing now with X-Men: Grand Design). And at the same time, Wolfman and Perez released the two-volume History of the DC Universe, which blew my little mind. It would be several more years before I'd get to read Crisis on Infinite Earths, but Who's Who and History of the DCU helped fill in a lot of the blanks for me.

Man, I think I started reading comics at the absolute perfect time. Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League launched in 1987, and it shaped my young sense of humor and changed my entire life.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Mar 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I remember starting to pay attention to continuing storylines and continuity in general for the first time with Amazing Spider-Man's "Gang War." I got #286-288 because Daredevil and Falcon showed up, and I knew who they were from the Mattel Secret Wars action figures, and then #289, that amazing Hobgoblin reveal. These were almost all from the newsstand, which you and I were probably visiting around the same time. That's also where I also found the surprisingly violent Spider-Man vs. Wolverine one-shot (another familiar face from the Secret Wars figures!), and I was absolutely shocked that Amazing #289 followed plot threads set up in Spidey vs. Wolverine.

But starting in 1986, I also obsessively read and collected DC Who's Who and Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe: Deluxe Edition, so as a second-grader, I was becoming a real expert on characters and storylines that I had never read or even encountered in comics before. Those really cemented my lifelong fandom, along with Marvel Saga, which reprinted key panels and had text synopses of Silver Age Lee/Kirby/Ditko Marvel stories, attempting to tie them into a larger framework (kinda like what Ed Piskor is doing now with X-Men: Grand Design). And at the same time, Wolfman and Perez released the two-volume History of the DC Universe, which blew my little mind. It would be several more years before I'd get to read Crisis on Infinite Earths, but Who's Who and History of the DCU helped fill in a lot of the blanks for me.

Man, I think I started reading comics at the absolute perfect time. Giffen and DeMatteis' Justice League launched in 1987, and it shaped my young sense of humor and changed my entire life.

Plus whenever you find something funny, you now go "BWAHAHA"

• Locked thread