Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

it's pretty cure's 15th anniversary, so they had a poll on best series

as an internet poll promoted mostly on twitter its pretty obviously weighted towards older fans (see: futari wa ranking so highly even though most young fans werent even alive when it aired) but i thought it was interesting

Happiness charge being at the bottom is a travesty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
Like it or hate it, HaCha is objectively the lowest point in the franchise. It did very poorly.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

It's actually the pinnacle of the series

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

obvious pretool
I'm saying it didn't do very well. It had a significantly negative reception and the sales it generated are literally the lowest the franchise has ever had. That's not going to contribute to many people voting for it.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Feb 13, 2018

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

They should have asked me to vote

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

it's time for another precure stream in TWO HOURS! at 6 PM central time!!! 1 episode of hugtto, 2 episodes of kirakira, and 3 more episodes of futari wa!! be there!!!!!!!! https://cytu.be/r/synchrogazer

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

https://twitter.com/aers00/status/967552233649745920

Watanabe followed by Tanaka Toei is spoiling Precure this year

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

IT'S TIME FOR MORE MAGICAL GIRLS TONIGHT. 6:00 7:00 PM CENTRAL TIME. HUGTTO. KIRAKIRA. FUTARI WA. BE THERE! https://cytu.be/r/synchrogazer

Aurora fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 25, 2018

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

https://twitter.com/aers00/status/967552233649745920

Watanabe followed by Tanaka Toei is spoiling Precure this year

Yo that episode was really good

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

My daughters have been watching Sailor Moon and they like it a lot but get very embarrassed and cover their eyes when there's a kissing part.

I'm just really impressed with how every episode is 50% new footage, tops.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

My daughters have been watching Sailor Moon and they like it a lot but get very embarrassed and cover their eyes when there's a kissing part.

I'm just really impressed with how every episode is 50% new footage, tops.
look forward to the episode where they fight a literal, actual volcano

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

look forward to the episode where they fight a literal, actual volcano

I'm just wondering when the other Sailor Guardians show up, they're twenty episodes in and there's still only three.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

P-Mack posted:

I'm just wondering when the other Sailor Guardians show up, they're twenty episodes in and there's still only three.

That's gonna be a while. Like there's this big filler arc (Because it's a Toei anime in the 90's) where the remaining two of the main set show up and there's a whole season between then and the next two

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

IT'S TIME FOR MORE MAGICAL GIRLS TONIGHT. AGAIN. FOR THE FOURTH TIME. 7:00 PM CENTRAL TIME. HUGTTO. KIRAKIRA. FUTARI WA. BE THERE! https://cytu.be/r/synchrogazer

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Hello I am watching Sailor Moon for the first time and I am 20 episodes in but I am not one of P-Mack's daughters.

Why did they took so long to introduce Rei the show gets like a 100 times better as soon as she joins the cast. I mean it wasn't like bad before, but man the show is a lot more fun.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Space Flower posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVOWcZiCAH4

here's the Magia Record transformations up to this month because Holy poo poo I Implore You, watch the transformations for the og meguca. they're all kind of similar in imagery to the rebellion henshin scenes but with less ballet and more Goddamn just look at Kyouko what a flaming badass, and mommy in casual clothes, er, Mami. same thing yeah

sayaka never

I like how Kyouko's aesthetic is "scary gamer girl" and Mami's is "My power is having the maturity of a 30 year old"

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Hello I am watching Sailor Moon for the first time and I am 20 episodes in but I am not one of P-Mack's daughters.

Why did they took so long to introduce Rei the show gets like a 100 times better as soon as she joins the cast. I mean it wasn't like bad before, but man the show is a lot more fun.
the characters get introduced pretty rapid fire in the manga, they just added a decent amount of filler to the early going since they were adapting an ongoing manga. i do think the show benefits some from each of the characters taking a while to get introduced (some precure seasons introduce all five girls within like 3 episodes and it usually leads to at least one of them just feeling like they're there) but they definitely overdid it.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I'm extremely hype to see if we get a new intro when Jupiter finally arrives!

(my wife is complaining now that the song is stuck in her head)

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I made cream puffs because Kira Kira is an inspirational show and i want to be cool like my friend Ichika

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Erg posted:

I made cream puffs because Kira Kira is an inspirational show and i want to be cool like my friend Ichika

I, too, am inspired by KiraKira... to steal your delicious-looking cream puffs!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

I'm extremely hype to see if we get a new intro when Jupiter finally arrives!

(my wife is complaining now that the song is stuck in her head)
you should watch sailor moon crystal's OPs, they're the best part of the show.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Endorph posted:

you should watch sailor moon crystal's OPs, they're the best part of the show.

How is it overall? I hear it cuts out all the filler, but first graders generally don't care as much about fidelity to the manga.

E: those cream puffs look great! Whenever my wife makes them she says she is never making them again cause getting the cream into the puffs takes so long.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Endorph posted:

the characters get introduced pretty rapid fire in the manga, they just added a decent amount of filler to the early going since they were adapting an ongoing manga. i do think the show benefits some from each of the characters taking a while to get introduced (some precure seasons introduce all five girls within like 3 episodes and it usually leads to at least one of them just feeling like they're there) but they definitely overdid it.

That makes sense, the show just kinda felt flat when it was just Usagi mostly interacting with Luna, she seems to work the best as a character when she has a lot of different personalities to bounce off of.

Woo Zoisite appears to be the villain for the next batch of episodes, I like that smug bastard.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P-Mack posted:

How is it overall? I hear it cuts out all the filler, but first graders generally don't care as much about fidelity to the manga.

E: those cream puffs look great! Whenever my wife makes them she says she is never making them again cause getting the cream into the puffs takes so long.
Crystal's a lot dryer and less visually interesting than the 90s anime. It has some decent stuff in it but I think the 90s anime is a lot better on its own and even better in terms of appealing to kids - the 90s anime is episodic, there's a lot of it, all the characters get some focus so kids can pick a favorite, there's tons of weird imagery that the manga/crystal doesn't execute on as well, etc. Crystal's just kind of a dry story of Usagi bouncing from fake-out love interest to fake-out love interest.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Thanks, everyone seems perfectly happy with monster-of-the-week filler plots and going 悪霊退散! with their main girl Rei.

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」

Endorph posted:

Crystal's a lot dryer and less visually interesting than the 90s anime. It has some decent stuff in it but I think the 90s anime is a lot better on its own and even better in terms of appealing to kids - the 90s anime is episodic, there's a lot of it, all the characters get some focus so kids can pick a favorite, there's tons of weird imagery that the manga/crystal doesn't execute on as well, etc. Crystal's just kind of a dry story of Usagi bouncing from fake-out love interest to fake-out love interest.

This 100%. The 90s anime while long gets you invested in each character so when dramatic moments happen you care. The Crystal series is like the after meal glass of Port. Its condensed and good to have as a supplement after you've eaten the whole course of the older anime. The only part of Crystal I care for isn't even near being made yet and that's Stars. If only because the 90s anime and manga varied quite a bit.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Crystal 1 and 2 is pretty much just the manga animated so it was never going to be as good as the 90's show even if Toei wasn't doing way to many projects and having it affect the quality of all them (Hi Happiness Charge Precure). Crystal 3 actually was allowed to have some fun shots so it's actually pretty okay though not as good as S.

I want them to try and animate Stars Manga cause it'd be a hell of a trip

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
SuperS is getting made as a movie series ala Digimon Tri and, frankly, that just makes me concerned about Stars’ chances because oh boy was Tri not great.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I've been watching Crystal lately and so far I've liked it more than I expected to from its reputation, but the things people tend to complain about (breathlessly fast pacing, dodgy animation quality) are pretty much accurate. It definitely makes an interesting companion piece to the old anime, though; some of the characters are very different between the two versions.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
At least part two is better.

Season 3 is the closest to being a solid series largely because the director of Higurashi put her cleaver on the table and Toei did the smart thing and acquiesced for once.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Mar 7, 2018

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

As much as I do want them to do Manga SuperS and Stars for Crystal I don't want them stealing staff from Precure so I can wait.

Or they could just put the Live Action on a streaming service!

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Knowing how things have gone, it probably goes in the opposite direction.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Even if the production wasn't a mess or if they had a good director in the end Crystal Series 1 probably would of still been a mess to watch. Takeuchi wanted a 1 for 1 version of the manga as an anime and welp, the Manga really does have some rough spots and issues to it that the original anime glossed over. So while Chiaki Kon being a good director helped the third season and Toei not being overworked I think the fact everyone knew they had to actually adapt things also helped a bunch.

I still want them to use actual Precure style fights for StarS and Super. Just cause it'd be cool and it'd also annoy some Sailor Moon fans.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
They didn't even do a good job with being a 1:1 conversion of the manga even so that part of the exercise was rendered moot.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Daughter was very excited because based on the previous episode she thought Nephrite was going to turn into a good guy and live happily ever after with Naru but instead he died. There were some tears. I probably should have told her the episode title was literally "Nephrite dies!"

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Being mahou is suffering :v:

On a "Let's not get probated for empty posting" point, are you guys watching the dub or the sub?

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 7, 2018

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Subs. Is the dub good, either in a regular way or in a goofy 90s way?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
It has Numbah 1 as Umino and the VA (One Benjamin Diskin) snuck in an over 9000 gag in refrence to Ami's IQ.

Depending on how Woosly you like your translations, I could see worse ways to watch Sailor Moon.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

you'll also get the epic cousins meme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they might be talking about the new dub