Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I wish there was enough interest and money to facilitate adopting some out of work real-sport commentator, put him through a FG crash course for a year or two and then let James loosen up, do color and act as a backstop for that guy. FGC play by play is hot garbage not so much because of gently caress ups or lack of knowledge (happens in every sport) but because they don't seem to know jack poo poo about how real pbp commentary is supposed to work. They're also all way too involved in the pro scene which makes their commentary too comprehensive for your average viewer.

Edit: Someone out there just needs to take a much more professional approach to the whole thing.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you want to learn to do commentary watch Tony Romo. He is best in the business at being affable, predictive, and knowing when to shut up and let things unfold.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Barudak posted:

If you want to learn to do commentary watch Tony Romo. He is best in the business at being affable, predictive, and knowing when to shut up and let things unfold.

The closest I've found to this is the few times Justin Wong ends up doing commentary. It's so loving good.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I would legit watch more tournaments if they got a Spanish soccer announcer to commentate

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Another thing I think that's hurting commentary is that none of them seem to realize they need to be dedicated watchers and studiers waaaaaaay more than they need to be dedicated/good players.

CaptCommy posted:

The closest I've found to this is the few times Justin Wong ends up doing commentary. It's so loving good.

Yep, the very cerebral players tend to be that way. I would guess it's because "reading" is so natural and instant for them that they're free to make actual commentary on what's happening and what players are doing rather than just saying what move just happened a second ago.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 2, 2018

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

I would legit watch more tournaments if they got a Spanish soccer announcer to commentate

ABAJOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Tbh my favorite commentator is Ryan Hunter because he sounds like he'd fit in commentating on baseball playoffs.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Maybe Valve will make steal someone else's fighting game and then just throw hat money at it until it's a real thing, like they did with DOTA.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Another thing I think that's hurting commentary is that none of them seem to realize they need to be dedicated watchers and studiers waaaaaaay more than they need to be dedicated/good players.

Yep, the very cerebral players tend to be that way. I would guess it's because "reading" is so natural and instant for them that they're free to make actual commentary on what's happening and what players are doing rather than just saying what move just happened a second ago.

Its extremely important in commentary to reliably do three things.

1) Explain the gameplan (theyre doing lots of shots from the perimeter early/hes just fishing with his light hoping to confirm into combo rather than a more complicated approach)
2) State what you thinks should be happening in light of whats occuring (they are having best success on shots over the left, they should isolate that defender/hes had a lot of success with the overhead, even if its not leading to a combo)
3) Be able to say “Absolutely Brilliant” when something phenomenal happens that you werent expecting/had no idea was possible

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't really like any sports commentary and I'm totally fine with fgc commentary that's just people saying Oh poo poo!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I like yipes screaming basket ball players names thanks

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

James Chen goes too far in the other direction, explaining super basic concepts in excruciating detail

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's hard to PBP a fighting game, especially something like DBFZ/Marvel, because you don't get enough time or sometimes enough information to be informative. The downtime is usually during combos and you don't have much to say about those unless there's a gimmick to them (like reset points).

Plus, big tournaments already go for the approach you're proposing. The YELL poo poo approach tends to be limited to locals like NLBC, which are basically the FGC equivalent of big players doing soloq/scrims.

Unless what you're really trying to say is that you want even more mid-30s white dudes with dad senses of humor doing the same voice and the same calls everyone else does.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Draxamus posted:

As much as some people dislike Biscuits, I think he actually has some strong DBFZ commentary when they've had him on streams. Same with GG. Much prefer him over Yipes style commentary.

The combination of Yipes and Chris Matrix is a godsend and the FGC would be worse off without them. That being said, if you want to learn more about the game they are not going to do you any favors. Me personally, I do not really watch streams to learn so much as to be entertained. If I wanna learn there's plenty of more useful and valuable resources than listening to the commentary on a stream.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

I'll be at CEO winterfest tomorrow playing sfv, DBZ, and unist. If you're gonna be there, let me know!

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Every fighting game commentary should be just like Majin Obama during Evo Japan.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Real hurthling! posted:

I like yipes screaming basket ball players names thanks
Sajam was streaming analysis of DBFZ Winter Brawl top 8 the other night and at one point said something like, "I realized rewatching this that I could never commentate this game, because I don't know enough basketball players."

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

Every fighting game commentary should be just like Majin Obama during Evo Japan.

I can't believe they used the loving "#MeToo" clip in their sizzle reel but they just bleep Majin out. Like what the gently caress.

FanaticalMilk fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Mar 2, 2018

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010

punk rebel ecks posted:

I think Majin Obama and TastySteve GG commentary was some of the best. Good example of being both hype AND insightful. You can have both!

And if you saw the DBFZ commentary for Winter Brawl Top 8, you can also be not particularly insightful AND antihype.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I loved the EVO Japan commentary where they were betting cup o noodles on the fights

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

thorsilver posted:

This sounds awesome, especially since I just ordered Chronicles yesterday :) Hope the netcode's decent on it. Is the RPG mode worth checking out?

like other fighting game single player modes its inoffensive at best and doesn't really integrate that well with actual game mechanics

at least the tutorial mode is actually playable unlike PPT and the training mode lets you rewind your chains

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only commentator I like is aris

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That recent t7 event with 5 people on mics and a tasty steve soundboard was the greatest tourney I've watched in ages

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Barudak posted:

I like Romo but now that I've heard Pardon my Take make fun of all the noises he makes when there's a close call that's all I can focus on.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

FWord and Logan are great tbh.

Not that I'm biased, most of the other UKFGC commentary is dire.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Spuckuk posted:

FWord and Logan are great tbh.

Not that I'm biased, most of the other UKFGC commentary is dire.

I do notice that most of the top players are either from Japan, Korea, or USA. Europe seems underrepresented. I wonder why that is?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

But second hand Ps4 pads are only like $30

Nobody's gonna buy a pad if they're not already serious about the genre.

Most people expect to be able to play with a regular gamepad, and if that's not possible that's a failure on the game's part :shobon:

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Elman posted:

Most people expect to be able to play with a regular gamepad, and if that's not possible that's a failure on the game's part :shobon:

...it's a PS4 pad. A regular PS4 pad. If you have a current-gen console you have a fighting game-capable pad. Hell, the 360 pad sucks but if you had a PS3 you have a fighting game-capable pad.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Elman posted:

*woosh*

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

dragon enthusiast posted:

if healthy online community is what you want all the JP players are on Chronicles 3DS now cause the frame data in that game is the most like Puyo Puyo 2. also they added some good quality of life options like being able to set lobbies to arbitrary wincounts so they can run round robin leagues with FT50 matches

what frame data differences are there between Chronicles and PPT?

I mainly ask out of curiosity the hell if I'm buying a 3DS for that

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Elman posted:

:shobon:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
If you're really fancy you can splurge and get a fighting commander for $40 new on amazon or likely even cheaper on the second hand market.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
There probably hasn't been a new fighting game since like Street Fighter 4 that playing on stick gives you an advantage in, and plenty of pad players did great in that game with some of the highest execution characters.

If you are getting into fighting games within the last few years there's no reason to buy or learn stick unless you're learning an old game or are living in Japan and playing in arcades.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Guess I got told :v: Fair enough then, looks like I'm out of date.

I do need to buy a ps4 controller, though. Xbox d-pads are still really bad.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

In Training posted:

That recent t7 event with 5 people on mics and a tasty steve soundboard was the greatest tourney I've watched in ages

This was godlike

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

what frame data differences are there between Chronicles and PPT?

I mainly ask out of curiosity the hell if I'm buying a 3DS for that

it doesn't affect the 3ds version of PPT, only ps4/xbone/switch/pc as part of an effort to buff puyo cause tetris was extremely busted on the last gen versions. basically the amount of time it takes for a puyo to settle after input lockout was shortened (I forgot the exact frame data but it's on the internet somewhere) which meant
a) risky play was encouraged cause you can place puyos down faster to fix bad chains, and
b) attacking was discouraged over turtling cause you could build counter chains on reaction

idk why you would get ppt 3ds ever though, chronicles has all the nice online features while pp20th has way more single player content (even more than chronicles)

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

ROFL Octopus posted:

James Chen goes too far in the other direction, explaining super basic concepts in excruciating detail

But the puns, man. THE PUNS.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

There probably hasn't been a new fighting game since like Street Fighter 4 that playing on stick gives you an advantage in, and plenty of pad players did great in that game with some of the highest execution characters.

If you are getting into fighting games within the last few years there's no reason to buy or learn stick unless you're learning an old game or are living in Japan and playing in arcades.

What if I think arcade stick is the best designed controller ever made

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Unist is good. I like to just mash into launcher and then mash into kd and its good

Thank you soft circle french bread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

What if I think arcade stick is the best designed controller ever made

I like the stick because it reminds me of when I was a baby in a Coney Island arcade, mashing buttons in MVC2.