Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
One thing I wish I had differently in Berseria is be far more selective about what skills I'd try to master. A lot of them are kind of pointless and/or take way too long to actually master. In other words it seems to largely not matter, outside of a few obvious ones like those that boost parameters or equipment learning speed or BG recovery, etc. I ended the game with a huge queue of remaining equipment with unmastered skills and ultimately didn't have a harder time because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Elswyyr posted:

I bought Berseria, it's my first Tales game, and I'm enjoying it so far (finally got Magilou as a party member). I'm not sure I understand the combat, though. I'm playing on the highest difficulty, because I like JRPG combat, but poo poo seems to sometimes completely destroy me, and sometimes get stunlocked to death by Velvet, and I don't know what I'm doing differently in those situations. I'm only lv 14, because the XP rate is pretty low on this difficulty, but I've beaten a couple level 20 bosses.
Damage is super high in Berseria, both for you and the enemy, and stuns gently caress you up. The main thing is to just be attacking so much that the enemy doesn't have time to hit you back.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Take "turns" with your party members on whaling on enemies, so they're constantly stunlocked and can't fight back. This also gives a bit of time to recharge your soul gems while still keeping a combo going.

And yeah, pick and choose the skills you think will actually be useful and try to get them first. You'll eventually pick up a title that makes getting skills quicker but even then, by endgame you'll be flooded with equipment.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I've gotten a lot further, but now I'm having a problem with being underlevelled. My party is around level 27, and normal enemies in the latest area I unlocked (plains east of Loegres) are level 46 on Intense. But they don't seem to give much more XP than earlier enemies, and I already need a LOT to level, so I'm not sure I get it. I've tried going back and spawning a Dire Foe, and I'd like the potentites they drop, but at this point, if I fight more than one enemy at once they scale to level 36 and destroy my party before I can even react. Am I missing something, is there another way to gain XP?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Don't focus on what level the enemies are. If you can fight them effectively your fine. Level doesn't mean a whole lot.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Difficulty will auto bloat levels so don't look at that as a judge.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

BrightWing posted:

Don't focus on what level the enemies are. If you can fight them effectively your fine. Level doesn't mean a whole lot.

I can't though, I get completely owned by every enemy now. Is this game just not made for playing on a high difficulty until you're at the endgame? Maybe I'm lacking some good Ignicites from those dire foes or something?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

if you struggling on intense don't play on intense

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
There are absolutely no long-term consequences to turning the difficulty down, and you get more xp so you might catch up in levels to the point where you can turn it back up (or just get more artes, etc.). Just do it. No one will judge you.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
They allow you to adjust the difficulty outside of battle for a reason.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Elswyyr posted:

I can't though, I get completely owned by every enemy now. Is this game just not made for playing on a high difficulty until you're at the endgame? Maybe I'm lacking some good Ignicites from those dire foes or something?

You're generally meant to adjust the difficulty as you see fit, so if the game is too hard atm, you can lower the difficulty and continue on, and raise it again later. In particular, dying on boss fights gives you an opportunity to adjust difficulty before trying again, so take advantage of it when needed.

Additionally, grinding for item drops to dismantle is best done on lower difficulties since one of the upgrade items you need for certain items, Odorless Fluid, is extremely rare basically on any difficulty above Simple, since you can only get it from dismantling items with no bonuses, and you're less likely to get those items the higher the difficulty.

As far as general leveling goes, you want to get into Dangerous encounters, which is when two or more field enemies get close together and that black shadow of doom shows up underneath them. Dangerous encounters scale with your level and give experience and drop bonuses, so you get more experience and more item drops in Dangerous fights than you would normally, and you can beat up the Dire Foe when he shows up for more exp/money/grade/etc.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Difficulty in Berseria should be treated like Diablo 3: play it til it gets too easy then turn it up a notch and repeat.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I beat the game. I feel sad and empty now. Thanks I guess?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Next play Tales of Zestiria, an epic adventure about an innocent boy and his friends who just want to help everyone.

Eizen and Zaveid are in it!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

don't be mean caphi

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

friends don’t let friends play zestiria

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Zestiria will also make you feel sad and empty, but in a different way.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Zestiria is cool and fun and has actual depth to its gameplay unlike Berseria.

It also has better music but I think no one really disputes that unlike the above opinion which I share with approximately six people worldwide.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zestiria has depth to its gameplay if 'trying not to die instantly to caster enemies' counts as depth

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
zestiria's combat is literally just graces but lovely

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Zestiria has depth to its combat if stack fire damage and then mash wall of flame at your opponent is depth.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Trasson posted:

Zestiria is cool and fun and has actual depth to its gameplay unlike Berseria.

this is some galaxy brain poo poo

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In my experience "depth" in Zestiria actually means "spend 50 hours grinding grade and drops until you have a Phoenix x15 fashion disaster."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Nah the endgame is real fun just sitting across from every enemy and doing arena long water lasers at everyone, or giant fire walls if you get bored (you will still be bored).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

legitimately: zestiria has a more complex combat system and secondary mechanics but the problem is all that stuff is fundamentally broken. berseria's combat is braindead dynasty warriors but at least it's good at being that.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Zesty has what could be a decent battle system that is hampered by both a terrible upgrade system and half your required party members feeling like they do nothing but lower your grade. I could see fun there, but the game does all it can to obscure it.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I truly believe that if Tales is going to be a brawler it should just lean into being a Warriors brawler and flesh that out instead of half-assing a brawler and then throwing in a half-assed weakness system to pretend it's still a combo-fighter.

I also believe that all the other parts of Tales should return to 2D and start again on iterating as a combo fighter.

Basically split Tales again.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Complexity and Depth aren't the same thing.

I could make a game with a billion rules all of which have really weird interactions with each other, but nobody would ever be able to engage with it and the likelihood is that there'd be one prevailing easy strat for dealing with the game. That's not depth.

Chess by contrast has a relatively limited number of rules which make it an easy enough game to understand, but the permutations of the strategy involved give it depth since there are so many ways of dealing with each move.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Unironically my favorite part about zesty: https://youtube.com/watch?v=BOuMxTU_CE0

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Tales has been compromising between field-based setpieces and combo-based execution ever since Symphonia and it's always sucked at least a little. Berseria is this close to a really good implementation of the former, and the latter was basically perfected in Destiny DC Keroro RPG.

Just pick a lane and design around it instead of "it's 3D but..." poo poo. It's 3D but you're still sidescrolling. It's 3D but your comboes still only count on one enemy. It's 3D but now spellcasters are immune to meaningful CC attacks.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

4d tales combat

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Make Tekken, but in a tales game imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Make Tekken, but in a tales game imo

i'm sorry, but i've got bad news

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

The Colonel posted:

zestiria's combat is literally just graces but lovely

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The Armatization mechanic was pretty different from Graces, and I do at least like the idea of fusing and unfusing, and swapping party members as needed to win a fight. I still think the game should have just been Sorey and a single Seraph fighting enemies.

Stuff like the CC system and the Blast whatever mechanics are literally just Graces but lovely though. Really does feel like they went "What if we too Graces and made it less fun?"

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In seriousness, Zestiria's combat is, like... adequate? It has a thousand annoyances and broken pieces in it but you can beat the game with it fine.

If it had come out in a game with writing that was good, I could maybe talk about it like I do Berseria. Hell, if the writing was merely not complete insanity, I'd just call it subpar.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Momomo posted:

The Armatization mechanic was pretty different from Graces, and I do at least like the idea of fusing and unfusing, and swapping party members as needed to win a fight. I still think the game should have just been Sorey and a single Seraph fighting enemies.

Stuff like the CC system and the Blast whatever mechanics are literally just Graces but lovely though. Really does feel like they went "What if we too Graces and made it less fun?"

I don't mind swapping but I hated the idea of fusing. I don't want two character parties, give me my four-man parties to wreck things!

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Give me a game with fighting game style assists instead of AI party members.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Gah

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/07/tales-vr-cafe-lets-interact-husbandos-first-hand/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Good