Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

home brew is the poo poo

i type brew upgrade every night and im almost never disappointed

newest versions of python, mkvtools, and fortune specific to my OS level magically appear regularly

youtube-dl sooo good its updated from glamazon

and now a word from our sponsor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Binary Badger posted:

home brew is the poo poo

i type brew upgrade every night and im almost never disappointed

newest versions of python, mkvtools, and fortune specific to my OS level magically appear regularly

if you like that, allow me to introduce you to a little thing called gentoo linux

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

pitch me your favourite iphone apps, i bought one today

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Camera

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

storm

the old version with a black icon, not the new rewrite with a blue-ish icon that nobody asked for and still isn't at feature parity

best weather app by far

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

1blocker, paprika, Wunderground, windy. GoSatWatch does what it says as a satellite tracker, but there are numerous free alternatives. VLC for odd unsupported video formats (lol)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

awful.app

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cinci zoo sniper posted:

music.app, it's a high quality first party developed app that integrates both music and podcasts*

* only available on ios 5

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
apple wallet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thanks all! ive installed wunderground, awful.app, and now am spamming every imessage person i know with furiously laughing poo poo animojis :v:

apple wallet thing feels odd tho, but i dont quite have something to try it out on yet

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i must say holy poo poo apple knows how to make things smooth, difference with google nexus 5 is rather stark

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

thanks all! ive installed wunderground, awful.app, and now am spamming every imessage person i know with furiously laughing poo poo animojis :v:

apple wallet thing feels odd tho, but i dont quite have something to try it out on yet

I use Apple wallet almost solely for plane tickets, but it’s good

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

cinci zoo sniper posted:

wormax.io

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

OldAlias posted:

that much i figured but im not sure how well european airports handle this. oh well, ill get to try it out sooner or later (if i remember)

:eyepop: the speaker quality on this thing is comparable to my old laptop, bar obviously weaker bass

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

awful: this one should be obvious
sleep cycle: awesome sleep tracker that manages to wake you up at the perfect time each morning
snapchat/discord: good social media apps that aren't part of the hell-dimension yet
bandsintown: dunno if this works outside of the US
roller coaster tycoon: because this game fuckin owns
HQ trivia: a show is hosted twice a day with a $2.5k jackpot. answer 12 questions right and you win! (the questions are REAL fuckin hard) use my referral code: Necc0

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

OldAlias posted:

apple pay is great, but cincy is in ee where card issuing banks don’t support it yet.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Ham Horn
Taco Text
Purify

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The_Franz posted:

apple pay is great, but cincy is in ee where card issuing banks don’t support it yet.

wallet is some bar code app

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

it's surprisingly good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

kypass
overcast
deliveries
fantastical
transit
road trip
workflow
ifttt
1blocker
scanbot
really bad chess

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i must say holy poo poo apple knows how to make things smooth, difference with google nexus 5 is rather stark

yeah, android is a trash fire when it comes to judder

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

not like itd help but thats like a five year old phone, even if you went from a 5s to an 8 or X youd still feel the difference

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sleepwalkers posted:

not like itd help but thats like a five year old phone, even if you went from a 5s to an 8 or X youd still feel the difference

I've been hearing androiders tell me "oh, it's good now. you just had an old phone" for years. And every time I use an android device it's still a slow stuttery mess.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

cinci zoo sniper posted:

1Password, Apollo, Runkeeper, Openvpn, Air Video HD, Plex

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
maps.app, highly detailed maps created using google's data with an excellent interface designed by apple's team to create a high quality experience with accurate, detailed directions to any location*

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

tweetbot is an incredibly good twit app

akadajet posted:

I've been hearing androiders tell me "oh, it's good now. you just had an old phone" for years. And every time I use an android device it's still a slow stuttery mess.
if they havent used an ios device lately they have no idea what theyre talking about, though i will say the pixel 2 is the closest google has gotten to 'oh this works.'

ufarn
May 30, 2009
i basically only use week cal, deliveries, and tweetbot

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

awful.app is real crashy on my iPhone 7+

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

don't use 1blocker when firefox focus is free and they all do the same thing

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Stymie posted:

maps.app, highly detailed maps created using google's data with an excellent interface designed by apple's team to create a high quality experience with accurate, detailed directions to any location*

At an event yesterday, multiple times
They: what team are you on?
Me: maps
They: maps is getting better *spin 540 degrees and walk to snack table *

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i use apple maps exclusively. works 4 me

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i use maps for things. it basically works. there's probably a lot of cases where it doesn't, but they don't seem to affect me.

i think the only time i've been annoyed by it is if it randomly decides an address i'm searching for is 7000 miles away in some other state rather than the city i'm currently in

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i mean sure, apple maps has literally killed people and is notoriously unreliable/incomplete but at least the icon doesn't show directions telling the user to drive off an overpass any more

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Binary Badger posted:

youtube-dl sooo good its updated from glamazon
wtf how did I never hear about this

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Stymie posted:

i mean sure, apple maps has literally killed people and is notoriously unreliable/incomplete but at least the icon doesn't show directions telling the user to drive off an overpass any more

evidently it directed one of my union clients to a nonexistant detour in the middle of the candian wilderness on their way to ottawa. they wound up on an unpaved road with no signs, lights, or cell service in the middle of winter.

as far as i'm concerned it's their fault for following gps directions in the first place.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thank yall for app suggestions! ill be posting some questions later

meanwhile, i must say that app switching gesture is rather awkward

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
lol i forgot they had to do stupid gestures for the iphonx since it doesn't have a home button

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

St Evan Echoes posted:

awful.app is real crashy on my iPhone 7+

works for me, must be you’re posting

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Stymie posted:

lol i forgot they had to do stupid gestures for the iphonx since it doesn't have a home button

another fun fact for you - iwatch box is 2.5 times the size of a iphonx box

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

also, all stuff at the official apple phone distributor in latvia did call it iphone ecks, not ten