Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Because Google has been splitting effort for no good reason. There is, again, absolutely no reason that Google couldn't have spent the past 7 years setting up all the features Chrome OS now has in Android instead, especially since the vast majority just happen through Chrome itself, which they refuse to have in full on Android for no good reason.

Hey man, literally they both are linux, customized branches of the same thing, they already are what you want. They aren't going to share a UI because one is a phone and one is a desktop and they have totally different philosophies but your genius idea they need to be combined is one google had years ago and you already can run android apps on chrome devices but they just bury that function because mostly you really don't actually want to play a touchscreen game with keyboard and mouse on a non cellphone shaped screen.

Nothing actually stops you from running android apps on chrome books, you've been able to do that by command line for years and in weird buried menus for months, it's just a bad experiance because no one wants to play telephone angry birds on a laptop. They let you if you really want to though.

quote:

The School District went all-in on iPads, and Apple was all too happy to sell them but not actually keen on using the experience to beta any kind of education account setup or software. So kids literally disabled the weaksauce limits on the machines within the day they were issued by, like, deleting a setting or something dumb.

Apple now has apple for education and some of my districts and it's kinda just nothing, we still have to use JAMF for everything and it's expensive as hell. They have some stupid apple classroom that we got some schools in the beta test and it's really gee wiz cool but like, it's lightyears behind google.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Hey man, literally they both are linux, customized branches of the same thing, they already are what you want. They aren't going to share a UI because one is a phone and one is a desktop and they have totally different philosophies but your genius idea they need to be combined is one google had years ago and you already can run android apps on chrome devices but they just bury that function because mostly you really don't actually want to play a touchscreen game with keyboard and mouse on a non cellphone shaped screen.

Nothing actually stops you from running android apps on chrome books, you've been able to do that by command line for years and in weird buried menus for months, it's just a bad experiance because no one wants to play telephone angry birds on a laptop. They let you if you really want to though.

You said they are Gentoo. They are not Gentoo, although the initial versions of Chrome OS over 5 years ago were based on Gentoo.

And no, what I want is for them to give up this silly pretense of having seperate systems where they keep the Chrome app on Android gimped. They keep refusing to do this for some reason.

By the way, the very fact that they're having Chrome OS have a system to run Android apps now illustrates why there's no point to Chrome OS. Once again, all the wasted effort on designing UIs and all for Chrome OS could have simply be put into Android.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

You said they are Gentoo. They are not Gentoo, although the initial versions of Chrome OS over 5 years ago were based on Gentoo.

And no, what I want is for them to give up this silly pretense of having seperate systems where they keep the Chrome app on Android gimped. They keep refusing to do this for some reason.

By the way, the very fact that they're having Chrome OS have a system to run Android apps now illustrates why there's no point to Chrome OS. Once again, all the wasted effort on designing UIs and all for Chrome OS could have simply be put into Android.

They designed a different UI because a laptop needs a different UI than a touch screen phone. If you seriously want to use an android app on a chromebook literally no one is stopping you, you just need to be on the right OS version and click some checkboxes, but it's a poo poo experience because your screen is the wrong shape and all the controls are made for touch.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

They designed a different UI because a laptop needs a different UI than a touch screen phone. If you seriously want to use an android app on a chromebook literally no one is stopping you, you just need to be on the right OS version and click some checkboxes, but it's a poo poo experience because your screen is the wrong shape and all the controls are made for touch.

Did you know? You can design multiple UIs. In fact the Android OS already has multiple UIs for a wide range of devices. And they're already running Android apps on the Chromebooks.

It's not some magical thing to do, and if Google hadn't wasted the past 6-7 years continuing the Chrome OS project it would already be done by now.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Android tablet UI has always been a redheaded stepchild UI.

Desktop and tablet and phone are all different. Phone and tablet are close and can share many patterns and interactions, but trying to make all of your interactions consistent and good across touch driven phone and kb+mouse driven laptop is a goddamn fools errand and pretending it isn't means you have no real experience in ux design outside of maybe lovely marketing websites.

I can not believe I'm chiming in on OOCCs side in an argument, but it's 2018 and all bets on normalcy are off.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

fishmech posted:

Don't ignore the lower cost admin with Chromebooks. And personally, I prefer Google Docs to Office 365.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Did you know? You can design multiple UIs. In fact the Android OS already has multiple UIs for a wide range of devices. And they're already running Android apps on the Chromebooks.

It's not some magical thing to do, and if Google hadn't wasted the past 6-7 years continuing the Chrome OS project it would already be done by now.

This is a baffling complaint.

ChromeOS already right this second is the same OS as android (they are linux), chromeOS will open android apps and android will open chromeOS apps. Literally no one is stopping you from doing what you want.

But you seem really stuck on some idea that just because a feature isn't important to you that it can't be important to anyone. Chrome apps are different than android apps because one is primarily cloud based (chromeOS apps are just websites with locally stored special UIs) and one is installed programs (android runs java byte code). Maybe that is identical how you use a computer or a phone but they aren't identical if you are managing many computers or are a user that changes computers rapidly.

Like is it that you are angry they are allowed to have two branding tracks for two OSes that are both linux? Or do you want the police to come and stop everyone from using web apps because you don't like them or what?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is a baffling complaint.

ChromeOS already right this second is the same OS as android (they are linux), will open android apps and android will open chromeOS apps.

Most things are baffling to you apparently.

Which is why "chrome os" shouldn't be a thing. But no, you can't run full fledged Chrome on Android. Can't use the full extension selection etc. Also using the Linux kernel doesn't mean it's the same OS.

They keep doing things to blur the lines between the two things which just illustrates why they shouldn't be separate anymore. But again you still have the dumb restrictions on Chrome functionality in Android so you can't just use Android.

GEMorris posted:

Android tablet UI has always been a redheaded stepchild UI.

Because they put the people who would be doing tablet and laptop UI are instead doing that stuff on Chrome OS. For no good reason.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 3, 2018

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

ChromeOS is actually really good and should continue to exist and thank god fishmech is not in charge of anything important. I'm sorry that you're so angry about Android not being able to run full featured Chrome. Maybe they should get rid of Android and keep ChromeOS because, as I said, ChromeOS is really good.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tuxedo Gin posted:

ChromeOS is actually really good and should continue to exist and thank god fishmech is not in charge of anything important. I'm sorry that you're so angry about Android not being able to run full featured Chrome. Maybe they should get rid of Android and keep ChromeOS because, as I said, ChromeOS is really good.

Nah Chrome OS is bad and should have been removed years ago. Android made it redundant before Chrome OS even launched.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

In order for Android to fill the niche that ChromeOS occupies, they would have to start with Android and essentially develop an entirely new OS from it. People who like and use ChromeOS do NOT want the features of Android. ChromeOS is extremely good at what it does and it would be a massive loss if it were eliminated. ChromeOS devices are selling well - it isn't wasted resources like you insist. You are really super angry about Chrome being gimped on Android, but that isn't the fault of ChromeOS. People who use ChromeOS do not want to use Android. Eliminating ChromeOS would not end in all those people switching to Android - they'd be far better off switching to another extremely light weight Linux distro.

But you disregard all of this that everyone has been telling you because you are fishmech and you know everything.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tuxedo Gin posted:

In order for Android to fill the niche that ChromeOS occupies, they would have to start with Android and essentially develop an entirely new OS from it.

No they would not. You're just talking nonsense about Running Chrome On Linux being a herculean effort.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

fishmech posted:

No they would not. You're just talking nonsense about Running Chrome On Linux being a herculean effort.

People who use ChromeOS do not want an OS that does anything but runs Chrome. Android is a massive pain in the rear end compared to ChromeOS. ChromeOS just plain works. You seem incapable of grasping that people, even intelligent people, might not want fully featured systems for every device. I have a Chromebook that I use because it is far more convenient than using any other OS for what I want to use it for - Web browsing and Google Apps. Yes, an Android device could do that, but it wouldn't do it as simply and easily. I don't want to click extra buttons or have extra things running. I want to open it, have it boot instantly, and have it boot right up to what I want to use it for.

Nobody is saying running Chome on Linux is a herculean effort - but it is about convenience and a lot of people don't want to deal with unnecessary features or bloat. Android is massively bloated compared to ChromeOS. If you want your full featured Chrome on Android, take that up with Google. You are totally blind to the fact that people actually like using ChromeOS and don't give a poo poo about Android. You seem to give a huge poo poo about Android - that's fine. But you're a moron for being unable to see at all the benefits of ChromeOS over Android in specific niches. Insisting that mobile and productivity OSes be merged is how the world ended up with Windows 8. Sometimes having specialized things is good. Not every system has to be able to do everything.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

But no, you can't run full fledged Chrome on Android.

You seem super stuck on this, what even are you referring to, what is "full fledged chrome" and why do you feel that chromeOS is preventing you from running it?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
can we talk about self driving cars yet

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

divabot posted:

depends on what OS they're running

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tuxedo Gin posted:

People who use ChromeOS do not want an OS that does anything but runs Chrome.

So don't start anything but Chrome. Bing bang boom, simple. This doesn't take 50 years of research to do.

Your precious Chrome OS already lets you run some Android apps now anyway so your whole whine about complexity and bloat has fallen down the drain.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You seem super stuck on this, what even are you referring to, what is "full fledged chrome" and why do you feel that chromeOS is preventing you from running it?

Chrome on Android doesn't support the full extensions functionality, etc. You can't do things like use adblockers, while other browsers like Firefox allow you to do it. Also Chrome OS's only actual feature is that it does do that.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Mar 3, 2018

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

fishmech posted:

Chrome on Android doesn't support the full extensions functionality, etc. You can't do things like use adblockers, while other browsers like Firefox allow you to do it. Also Chrome OS's only actual feature is that it does do that.

Sounds like you'd be a lot happier using ChromeOS instead of Android :smug:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Sounds like you'd be a lot happier using ChromeOS instead of Android :smug:

I wouldn't be, because it's bad.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

fishmech posted:

I wouldn't be, because it's bad.

I don't know. Lots of people here seem to be quite happy with ChromeOS, while you seem to be angry about Android's failings. Seems like Android is the bad OS, while ChromeOS makes users happy and is therefore very good.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I don't know. Lots of people here seem to be quite happy with ChromeOS, while you seem to be angry about Android's failings. Seems like Android is the bad OS, while ChromeOS makes users happy and is therefore very good.

Nah, Android is massively more popular and useful. You do seem to be terrified of the complexity of opening a browser, so it's understandable why you think Chrome OS is needed, in the same way it's understandable that Donald Trump thinks exercising is poison.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

fishmech posted:

Nah, Android is massively more popular and useful. You do seem to be terrified of the complexity of opening a browser, so it's understandable why you think Chrome OS is needed, in the same way it's understandable that Donald Trump thinks exercising is poison.

This is top-tier fishmeching, right here.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Chrome on Android doesn't support the full extensions functionality, etc.

So how exactly did you identify the root cause of you not liking their extension support in android to somehow being chromeOS's fault? That seems like a total non sequitur.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

So how exactly did you identify the root cause of you not liking their extension support in android to somehow being chromeOS's fault? That seems like a total non sequitur.

Sure is weird how things you make up don't make sense, isn't it?

What I have said is that Chrome OS should have been abandoned long ago, and Google shouldn't keep holding out on full functionality on Android. And also that it would have been a much better use of Google developer time to be working on Android or other projects instead of Chrome OS.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

What I have said is that Chrome OS should have been abandoned long ago, and Google shouldn't keep holding out on full functionality on Android. And also that it would have been a much better use of Google developer time to be working on Android or other projects instead of Chrome OS.

This is such a weirdly specific hissy fit. You specifically don't need the features a software provides so they need to shut the whole thing down and devote all the resources to one very specific feature you specifically want? Like chromeOS makes up the majority of educational laptop sales now, but they have to close the whole thing because one specific guy is angry about a specific chrome extension not working on a telephone OS?

apple and microsoft also have different telephone and desktop OSes as well, why is outrage that google does it a hill you need to die on?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is such a weirdly specific hissy fit. You specifically don't need the features a software provides so they need to shut the whole thing down and devote all the resources to one very specific feature you specifically want? Like chromeOS makes up the majority of educational laptop sales now, but they have to close the whole thing because one specific guy is angry about a specific chrome extension not working on a telephone OS?

apple and microsoft also have different telephone and desktop OSes as well, why is outrage that google does it a hill you need to die on?

The Chrome OS project is redundant and useless. Android would do the job just as well if Google deigned to allow full Chrome functionality on it.

This is really quite simple stuff. So it's no surprise you think it's impossible.

Also Microsoft doesn't have a phone OS and Apple stuff is crap for idiots who worship a man who died of self inflicted cancer. You'd know this if you ever paid attention.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hi idiots this has nothing to do with unicorns

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Vegetable posted:

Hi idiots this has nothing to do with unicorns

yeah, but fishmech is mad about chromeos

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

fishmech posted:

You'd know this if you ever paid attention.

Now that TB is gone, it’s good to know another idiot has taken the mantle of “worst forums poster”

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

The Chrome OS project is redundant and useless. Android would do the job just as well if Google deigned to allow full Chrome functionality on it.

Useless for who?

Why do you feel like anyone on earth but you shares this super weird and super specific hyper focus on android browsers? Why on earth do you feel that chromeOS is the thing denying you this one feature?

Google is a giant company, they can hire as many programmers as they need, a claim like "it would have been a much better use of Google developer time" is absurd, google has 70,000 employees and 80 billion dollars, the reason android does or doesn't have some feature is not because they couldn't manage to scrape up the resources to work on it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

You seem super stuck on this

That's our fishmech! *laugh track, credits roll*

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Oh my god it finally happened:

https://twitter.com/sabasile/status/969615188952457216?s=21

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

fishmech posted:

This is really quite simple stuff. So it's no surprise you think it's impossible.

Also Microsoft doesn't have a phone OS and Apple stuff is crap for idiots who worship a man who died of self inflicted cancer. You'd know this if you ever paid attention.

I'm sure I'll regret asking but, is Windows 10 Mobile not a phone OS?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tuxedo Gin posted:

yeah, but fishmech is mad about chromeos

New thread title please.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Useless for who?

Everyone. It could easily be replaced by Android.

Raldikuk posted:

I'm sure I'll regret asking but, is Windows 10 Mobile not a phone OS?

It's been abandoned as of October.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

Everyone. It could easily be replaced by Android.

How? One is a desktop os with a focus on web based thin client apps and one is a touch screen phone os.

If you mean deep down they should share the same os but have different layers on top then they do that, it’s called Linux and both platforms run it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

By simply having full Chrome on Android, and putting the ui team from Chrome OS on the job for tweaking things up.

Why does this confuse you so much? Are you not aware that the UI already changes between phone and tablet? For that matter there's supposedly a tablet Chrome OS project in the works.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Mar 3, 2018

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Wait, so you mean to tell me that there’s actually a group of software engineers who understand that they aren’t individually God’s gift to programming and that things could improve with collective action?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/pupscan/status/965206600863698945

:raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

divabot posted:

you can't fix american cities with self driving cars, as cars themselves are the problem