Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I want Netflix to do an episode of Steven Weber and Yvette Nicole Brown's spin-off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I want Netflix to do an episode of Steven Weber and Yvette Nicole Brown's spin-off.
I just want more of her in anything.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I just want more of her in anything.

That would be good, too.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

PostNouveau posted:

Alright, Joel McHale has a Netflix show now that's basically just The Soup.

So they've got McHale, Brie and Rash on the payroll now.

Do the movie, Netflix. It'll cost 1/20th of what Bright cost.

Don't forget Gillian Jacobs. Only ones they're really missing are Danny Pudi and Donald Glover.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Emerson Cod posted:

Don't forget Gillian Jacobs. Only ones they're really missing are Danny Pudi and Donald Glover.

Her show's getting cancelled.

http://tvline.com/2017/12/15/love-cancelled-gillian-jacobs-netflix-comedy-no-season-4/

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

So you're saying she's got room on her schedule.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Emerson Cod posted:

So you're saying she's got room on her schedule.

Hell yes I am

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'd love for online services like Netflix to lead to a situation like the UK where beloved shows come back every so often for a one-off special or two.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

An episode where Pierce comes back.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zip! Zop! Zooey!

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Season 1/2 Pierce when he was a good and well written character.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

Season 1/2 Pierce when he was a good and well written character.
Season 3 Pierce is mostly fine, the writers just leaned on him as a villain too much.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
That was season 2 Pierce; season 3 Pierce was only a villain in the last ep as far as I can recall.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
The writers didn't know what to do with Pierce in Season 3 (outside of the the episodes with his dad) because they hastily backed away from the ending of Season 2 where Pierce quit the group in order to let him come back. They would have been better served letting him stay separated, only interacting with the group in a guest star capacity like Duncan, before ultimately reconciling at the end of the season following the video game episode (and possibly by having him play a role in bringing down Chang because he would be allowed to stay at Greendale because he is no longer part of the group). I realize this would have never flown since Chevy was probably still considered the main draw of the show in Season 3, but in hindsight a reduced role might have mitigated the tension between him and Dan and also allowed his character to maintain something resembling a consistent arc.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

The writers didn't know what to do with Pierce in Season 3 (outside of the the episodes with his dad) because they hastily backed away from the ending of Season 2 where Pierce quit the group in order to let him come back. They would have been better served letting him stay separated, only interacting with the group in a guest star capacity like Duncan, before ultimately reconciling at the end of the season following the video game episode (and possibly by having him play a role in bringing down Chang because he would be allowed to stay at Greendale because he is no longer part of the group). I realize this would have never flown since Chevy was probably still considered the main draw of the show in Season 3, but in hindsight a reduced role might have mitigated the tension between him and Dan and also allowed his character to maintain something resembling a consistent arc.

Also Dan could have not been a dick to him. I know Chevy is not the awesomest human alive, but as we learn more about Dan and his behavior I really feel it was probably mostly his fault.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Donglover recently said Chevy was racist as heck on the set. He's the last person to deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"I'm sorry Donald perceived me that way"

I feel like you can tell so much about a situation's veracity by the accuser's response and apology. This was like "yeah I was racist but what a sensitive little ******, take a joke lol"

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Vegetable posted:

Donglover recently said Chevy was racist as heck on the set. He's the last person to deserve the benefit of the doubt.

That whole interview was hosed up and depressing. It's a long article but worth the read. I can't find the link now, but I think it was from The Atlantic.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It was this New Yorker article: https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2018/03/05/donald-glover-cant-save-you

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Twenty times too long with weird, uninteresting, name-droppy tangents. It's like Tristram Shandy but unfunny.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Thats pretentious as gently caress and everyone involved should be slaughtered imo

The Action Man
Oct 26, 2004

This is a good movie.

Ratjaculation posted:

Thats pretentious as gently caress and everyone involved should be slaughtered imo

It sounds like you haven't read the New Yorker's entertainment writing before. Their movie reviews are beyond insufferable, and often don't even talk about the film in question for as much as half the article.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Thank you!

Kuiperdolin posted:

Twenty times too long with weird, uninteresting, name-droppy tangents. It's like Tristram Shandy but unfunny.

Yeah man how dare he name the people who treated him like poo poo because he is black.

Seriously some of ya'll ain't poo poo. I remember when he left to do music and a whole bunch of people itt said that he would fail and his music as for hipster whites.. now I hear Redbone get play on WJLB all day.

This whole era of his is very Kanye-esque. Some of you praise Dan Harmon and want crazy rear end Chevy/Pierce back but for some reason Donald doesn't get a pass like those guys....

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

But you calling them racist makes you the real racist! Aha! Flawless deflection!

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Koalas March posted:

Yeah man how dare he name the people who treated him like poo poo because he is black.

:rolleyes: man.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Are you sure you know what name-dropping is? That's probably not what was being referred to.

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Mar 2, 2018

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I wait fourteen turns.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Koalas March posted:

The author of the article was the one constantly name-dropping and it was very annoying. Should've been written in a more formal interview style.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

MokBa posted:

The author of the article was the one constantly name-dropping and it was very annoying. Should've been written in a more formal interview style.

Alright that's fair. It sounded to me like they were talking about him spilling the tea on Tina Fey and Chevy. Which was insane to me because everyone knows Chevy treated Donald like poo poo. Joel McHale even wrote about it in his book iirc.

I've already gotten into arguments with folks who are mad he had the nerve to say that poo poo about them and joke about being Jesus and whatever, so I'm a little sensitive about it plus I remember a lot of people talking poo poo about Don itt when he left the show.

Like I said, he really reminds of Kanye right now, he also has a history of depression and suicide attempts (I actually have heard a hosed up story about when he was in Australia right before he tried to commit suicide) so I'm worried he's heading for a breakdown.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

I read/skimmed all of that but I missed anything that would qualify as “spilling the tea” on Tina Fey. What did I miss?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Steve Vader posted:

I read/skimmed all of that but I missed anything that would qualify as “spilling the tea” on Tina Fey. What did I miss?

He noted that his own skin color had surely influenced his career, beginning with his first job, as a writer on “30 Rock.” “I wondered, Am I being hired just because I’m black?” Tina Fey, the show’s creator and star, told me that the answer was in large part yes; she admired Glover’s talent but hired him because funds from NBC’s Diversity Initiative “made him free.”

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

prefect posted:

He noted that his own skin color had surely influenced his career, beginning with his first job, as a writer on “30 Rock.” “I wondered, Am I being hired just because I’m black?” Tina Fey, the show’s creator and star, told me that the answer was in large part yes; she admired Glover’s talent but hired him because funds from NBC’s Diversity Initiative “made him free.”

Pretty sure that quote came straight out of Fey's Bossypants. She praises Glover a *lot* in that passage so I can't imagine the two have any kind of problem.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

MokBa posted:

Pretty sure that quote came straight out of Fey's Bossypants. She praises Glover a *lot* in that passage so I can't imagine the two have any kind of problem.

Tina Fey has said a lot of lovely things about race and especially about women of color though. She is basically in the same vein as John "My dick is a white supremacist" Mayer.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

MokBa posted:

The only name she really dropped was David Simons, the rest were people Glover worked with and their impression of him or people talking about him. Both are perfectly valid things to put in a profile about someone.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Koalas March posted:

Tina Fey has said a lot of lovely things about race and especially about women of color though. She is basically in the same vein as John "My dick is a white supremacist" Mayer.

Examples?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

quote:

“Thomas Jefferson—another gorgeous white boy who would not have been interested in me. This was my problem in a nutshell. To get some play in Charlottesville, you had to be either a Martha Jefferson or a Sally Hemings.”

— Tina Fey (Bossypants)

Sally Hemings was a fourteen-year-old black girl who was Thomas Jefferson's slave. He raped her.

Also quoting from an intersectional feminist because I'm phone posting and you can't be bothered to Google:

quote:

She also is implying that the fact Black women have been sexually exploited and fetishized by white men benefits Black women and hurts white women and means white men prefer them to us, thus rendering them our “competitors” for white male attention. She did a similar thing when she said that beauty standards for “women” (aka WHITE women) are made worse because some female celebrities of color have promoted empowerment in their beauty, and again characterizes white men’s fetishization of women of color as detrimental to white women:

“But I think the first real change in women’s body image came when JLo turned it butt-style. That was the first time that having a large-scale situation in the back was part of mainstream American beauty. Girls wanted butts now. Men were free to admit that they had always enjoyed them. And then, what felt like moments later, boom—Beyoncé brought the leg meat. A back porch and thick muscular legs were now widely admired. And from that day forward, women embraced their diversity and realized that all shapes and sizes are beautiful. Ah ha ha. No. I’m totally messing with you. All Beyonce and JLo have done is add to the laundry list of attributes women must have to qualify as beautiful. Now every girl is expected to have Caucasian blue eyes, full Spanish lips, a classic button nose, hairless Asian skin with a California tan, a Jamaican dance hall rear end, long Swedish legs, small Japanese feet, the abs of a lesbian gym owner, the hips of a nine-year-old boy, the arms of Michelle Obama, and doll tits. The person closest to actually achieving this look is Kim Kardashian, who, as we know, was made by Russian scientists to sabotage our athletes.”

So basically Tina Fey is blaming celebrity women of color for daring to be seen as beautiful and making it “harder” for white women in a society white men control. She is taking the attributes women of color are fetishized for and blaming these women for having these attributes as opposed to blaming white men for fetishizing these attributes, and acting as if this fetishization is something woc have benefited from at white women’s expense. She is also blaming woc for the impossible beauty standards in our culture (THAT WHITE MEN MADE). She not only does that, but she characterizes these women of color is fetishistic ways, reducing them to an rear end, “leg meat,” arms, lips… This is the first time I’ve seen this quote in full and it convinces me that Tina Fey is a raging racist and racialized misogynist.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_24p1ht9v8

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

(ahem)

Ha.

That is all that needs to be said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Any time any of her shows try to deal with any kind of social issue, especially UKS

• Locked thread