Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Taear posted:

I had the Great Khan spawn and start taking systems. They vassalised one large empire and were slowly pushing towards a Despoiler I was at war with.

Suddenly he's dead and his territory gets broken up. Loads of the ships of the Robot fallen empire were in his territory. Then they all hosed off. The empire isn't awakened or anything - what's that about? The machine empire is close-ish but definitely wasn't touched at all.

The machine empire will go fight hostile ship types (pirates and marauders and such) outside of their borders if they're close enough. Diodachies are treated as normal empires, so as soon as the Khanate splits up, they're no longer a valid target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

Should I be using this beta patch? Are there any killer bugs in it?

i played it yesterday, and i'd stick with 2.0.1 until they fix the bug in the beta that makes traditions too cheap - which is worse than the status quo in 2.0.1 where they're too expensive, imo.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Modding is hell. Is there some sort of secret resource that I'm not aware of or is everyone else just bumbling along like I am?

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008

GotLag posted:

Source your quotes

Which of my points isn't common sense? I'm obviously speculating anyways. Just think about this misuse of the common green and what happens if fewer people buy certain kinds of expansions at full price. There are consequences to group behavior.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Business Man, CEO: It seems this game isn't selling at all any more and not making us money. What should we do? I know, spend money and time to release free unpaid content. That'll get us dollars.

Business Man, CEO, days later: poo poo why is my company bankrupt now.

edit: I mean poo poo this patch came with a ton of free content but i guess don't buy apocalypse that will make them release more unpaid content??

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lake Effect posted:

Which of my points isn't common sense? I'm obviously speculating anyways. Just think about this misuse of the common green and what happens if fewer people buy certain kinds of expansions at full price. There are consequences to group behavior.

paradox has already dealt with this on their end, by not half-pricing DLC for roughly a year after release. they're presumably happy enough with the gain in revenue compared to their old policy of half-pricing after a DLC is no longer the newest DLC since they've stuck with the same price pattern for a while now, so why chide people on a forum about it

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

And people are ok with it given that apocalypse was near the top of the steam charts for a while.

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008

Jazerus posted:

they've stuck with the same price pattern for a while now, so why chide people on a forum about it

I'm sorry. I sincerely wasn't aware of this.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Lake Effect posted:

Consider that people still buy hardbacks despite knowing cheaper paperbacks are coming later.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

ulmont posted:

If you hit 100 WE the other side can force you into a status quo peace.

Isn't that part also removed in the latest beta patch? You just take some pretty nasty penalties until you decide to make peace (whichever way you are able to).

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

TalonDemonKing posted:

Modding is hell. Is there some sort of secret resource that I'm not aware of or is everyone else just bumbling along like I am?

What are you trying to do, my dude? The wiki has a bunch of reference material but it's far from a silver bullet.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Dallan Invictus posted:

Isn't that part also removed in the latest beta patch? You just take some pretty nasty penalties until you decide to make peace (whichever way you are able to).

That's right. Things are moving fast.

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)
okay, I'm getting annoying behavior from an opposing AI navy. My fleet is locked on them from another system, but the enemy fleet keeps engaging then disengaging jump drive, cancelling my fleet's orders.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

TalonDemonKing posted:

There's the wiki, but most people are bumbling through. Some of them are people with years of experience with Paradox data structures though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Xmas Pterodactyl posted:

The enemy retaking these seems to count for about 10% war exhaustion against me each time, piling the war exhaustion high early on

Gotta be careful with your losses. When war exhaustion is piled high, your people will plumb give out.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
I don't think the per-species military unit limits are working properly. I found a Very Strong primitive race to make into a warrior caste, and if I try to queue up a bunch at once, it eventually stops me from queuing more because "the species can only support 14 assault armies." But once they've actually been built, I can add more again.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

I don't think the per-species military unit limits are working properly. I found a Very Strong primitive race to make into a warrior caste, and if I try to queue up a bunch at once, it eventually stops me from queuing more because "the species can only support 14 assault armies." But once they've actually been built, I can add more again.

wait, this is even a thing?

it's definitely not working right if so, you can build as many armies as you want from a single pop though admittedly i've never tried to build 14 armies simultaneously

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Decided to hive mind with new patch + verenerable + all leader level boosters.

All three of my scientists are mad scientists... the gently caress

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Jazerus posted:

i played it yesterday, and i'd stick with 2.0.1 until they fix the bug in the beta that makes traditions too cheap - which is worse than the status quo in 2.0.1 where they're too expensive, imo.

Ah no wonder. I went from like ~200 months per tradition to like 45-50.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Alright so I am playing a Fanatic Purifier and I am Armageddon bombing a planet and its "Planetary Damage" keeps ticking up to 100%, then resetting to zero. Can anyone explain to me what is going on? Because I am pretty confused and the game is giving me zero feedback.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Alright so I am playing a Fanatic Purifier and I am Armageddon bombing a planet and its "Planetary Damage" keeps ticking up to 100%, then resetting to zero. Can anyone explain to me what is going on? Because I am pretty confused and the game is giving me zero feedback.

Once it ticks to zero, it should do one of three things:

Destroy a building

Destroy a pop

Destroy a tile

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

every time planetary damage hits 100% a pop and the building in its tile gets blown up. non-armageddon bombing can kill pops, but is more likely to just blow up buildings

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pylons posted:

Once it ticks to zero, it should do one of three things:

Destroy a building

Destroy a pop

Destroy a tile

Jazerus posted:

every time planetary damage hits 100% a pop and the building in its tile gets blown up. non-armageddon bombing can kill pops, but is more likely to just blow up buildings

Ahhh okay, and I guess the garrison takes damage slowly over time separate from that, since I can see their health bar slowly drain. Interesting. I saw plenty of craters show up on the planets but didnt notice other things happening. Maybe the game can count a partial/growing pop as a casualty because it took forever. You would think that a planet that is being bombarded and is generating negative food wouldnt have any pop growth...
Anyway, thanks guys!

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Danny Glands posted:

okay, I'm getting annoying behavior from an opposing AI navy. My fleet is locked on them from another system, but the enemy fleet keeps engaging then disengaging jump drive, cancelling my fleet's orders.

Turning human_ai on it, seems the AI no longer has any idea how to use jump drives and will instead constantly waffle between jumping and normal hyper drives.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Ahhh okay, and I guess the garrison takes damage slowly over time separate from that, since I can see their health bar slowly drain. Interesting. I saw plenty of craters show up on the planets but didnt notice other things happening. Maybe the game can count a partial/growing pop as a casualty because it took forever. You would think that a planet that is being bombarded and is generating negative food wouldnt have any pop growth...
Anyway, thanks guys!

The other thing is that I think planets turn to Tomb Worlds only once you're bombed the population to zero.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
How the heck does this work. Pathetic + inferior + equivalent = equivalent?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

My guess is rounding. There is likely some dictionary that maps the numerical ranges to english words like "inferior". Depending on how it's coded, there could indeed be a comparison for one part of the ui where .000000001 is > 0 but less than the .001 threshold for pathetic status or whatever, but else where they convert the float to its actual zero value so the ui prints equivalent. Who knows?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Strudel Man posted:

current fleet is probably valued less than capacity and tech for the summed evaluation. this makes more sense from the AI's perspective as the player is likely to beef up to capacity when declared on if possible, and a low cap low tech player is thus a much more vulnerable target even with the same current fleet value.

this has the side effect that it's way too easy to spook the AI with your naval capacity on normal AI aggressiveness

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
How do you actually get armageddon bombardment as an option? I played a game as a fanatic materialist authoritarian and only got the option for indiscriminate.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

metasynthetic posted:

How do you actually get armageddon bombardment as an option? I played a game as a fanatic materialist authoritarian and only got the option for indiscriminate.

you need to be one of the -1000 diplomacy empire types - fanatic purifiers, determined exterminators, or devouring swarm

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
Meant militarist but yeah thank you

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

PepperKeibu posted:

If my script is correct, there are 80. As far as I can tell this is every combination but I am too lazy to check.

:dance: You're my time saving hero.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Aethernet posted:

I love getting refugees as Rogue Servitors. "Fleeing oppression? Have a seat and we'll get you a nice cup of tea*."

*non-optional

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4IFNKYmLa8

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

President Ark posted:

you need to be one of the -1000 diplomacy empire types - fanatic purifiers, determined exterminators, or devouring swarm

I still think one of my favorite things to come out of the patch is that you can know make a warmongering swarm of post-apocalyptic cockroaches who terraform their new colonies from orbit.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Spiritualists experience the shroud like King of the Dragon Pass Hero Quests, Materialists like they're God-Learners

(Paradox do this please)

This is a cool idea! How many space cows is the weregild for a battleship?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Jazerus posted:

Wait, where does it say it's bugged? I thought they just fixed the multiplicative/additive issue, and made each system worth 1% rather than 2% penalty. Isn't that working as intended?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

canepazzo posted:

Wait, where does it say it's bugged? I thought they just fixed the multiplicative/additive issue, and made each system worth 1% rather than 2% penalty. Isn't that working as intended?

they accidentally have it set up to add the system penalty twice while not adding the colony penalty at all. there's a bug report in the paradox forum and it's fixed already, they just haven't released the first wave of fixes to the beta

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is it better to terraform planets or just build habitats?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

StashAugustine posted:

Is it better to terraform planets or just build habitats?

Depends on size of the planet.

Habs are pretty small and cost a ton of minerals and a good chunk of influence. Terraforming takes forever and and costs a ton of energy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Ok, current game I am playing I am trying to see all the mega-structures, colossus, and such. Trying to plan out my Perk choices and can't really decide what might be best.

So far I've unlocked 2 and picked up Technological Ascendancy. I am thinking in the end I'll have:

1. Tech. Ascendancy
2. Executive Vigor OR Mastery of Nature
3. Voidborne
4. Master Builders
5. Galactic Wonders.
6. Colossus Project
7. Circle of Life

Not sure between EV or MoN and if that would be a good order of progression for things. Some input would be appreciated. Militarist/Fanatical Materialist if you're wondering.