Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Those nominations were enough to qualify Nese/Gulak and the MMC match, so thanks! (the other two were already on the list).

February's matches for good or bad were:

Matches of the Year
02/10 | Will Ospreay (c) vs Hiromu Takahashi for the IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship - New Beginning in Osaka
02/10 | Kazuchika Okada (C) vs SANADA for the IWGP Heavyweight Championship - New Beginning in Osaka
02/23 | Rush and El Terrible vs Volador Jr and Ultimo Guerrero - CMLL

Worst Matches of the Year
02/25 | Men's Elimination Chamber - Miz vs Elias vs Cena vs Finn vs Seth vs BRAUN vs Roman - WWE Elimination Chamber.

Honorable Mentions
02/06 | EVIL & SANADA (c) vs. Kazuchika Okada & Hirooki Goto for the IWGP Tag Team Championship - Road to New Beginning
02/10 | Kagetsu, Sumire Natsu, and Hana Kimura (Oedo Tai) vs. Mayu Iwatani, Tam Nakano, and Mari Apache - Stardom Shinkiba Show
02/13 | Tony Nese vs Drew Gulak - 205 Live
02/18 | Io Shirai vs Momo Watanabe - STARDOM at Korakuen Hall
02/19 | Roman Reigns vs. Seth Rollins vs. John Cena vs. Elias vs. Finn Balor vs. Miz vs. Braun Strowman, Gauntlet Match - WWE Raw
02/23 | Niebla Roja vs Soberano Jr. - CMLL
02/24 | Cody and Marty Scurll vs The Golden Lovers (Kenny Omega/Kota Ibushi) - NJPW Honor Rising
02/27 | Asuka & Miz vs Finn & Sasha - WWE Mixed Match Challenge

Lots of HMs, only a couple of MOTYCs, and thankfully only one WMOTYC though to be fair it was pretty goddamn terrible.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Mar 3, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Kendrick vs Shinsuke also has 3 nods, from myself, JunpeiHyde, and now TTBF

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I think Hiromu/Ospreay should be MOTYC

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Senerio posted:

Kendrick vs Shinsuke also has 3 nods, from myself, JunpeiHyde, and now TTBF

Oh you guys were being serious about the video game match

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
It doesn't matter. I noticed I nominated it for MOTYC so nevermind.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Baron Corbyn posted:

I think Hiromu/Ospreay should be MOTYC
Second.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm getting February's match of the month thread ready. If you've got any matches to recommend or insist on that isn't on Jerusalem's list, post them here before the 7th please.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I mean I think it got enough votes

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

abraham linksys posted:

everyone should watch this week's 205!! cedric/TJP was probably one of TJP's best performances on 205 so far, though whoever pointed out this felt like a midcard EVOLVE match was right tbh. but more importantly, the main of roddy/kalisto was an absolute loving blast, even if it was botchy enough to probably stay out of HM range (I love my sloppy son kalisto and will hear no disparagement of him though)

Roddy/Kalisto was really really good. HM from me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Baron Corbyn posted:

I mean I think it got enough votes

I missed Jenkem Delivery's catch-up post from the 21st that put it over the top even before Boco_T's nomination, sorry. Changing it to MOTYC now.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

HM: The Bullet Club vs. The Kingdom+Shane Taylor, ROH Manhattan Mayhem 3/3

great war games match. marty and taven did enough early to build your interest and then when they started adding more guys the spots just came cascading down. also a super hot crowd for the bucks and page and everybody. also a moonsault off the hammerstein balcony. great match!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Super No Vacancy posted:

great war games match. marty and taven did enough early to build your interest and then when they started adding more guys the spots just came cascading down. also a super hot crowd for the bucks and page and everybody. also a moonsault off the hammerstein balcony. great match!

Seconding this

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Super No Vacancy posted:

Nth. So good. I hope Kenny gets Marty in the divorce.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HM: Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay - NJPW Anniversary Show - 3/6

Ospreay's initial respect towards Okada turning into fire as his confidence grew was tremendous, and the final few minutes of the match were incredibly good with both taking control in different sections and some beautiful false finishes and tremendous counters. Postmatch was real good too, make sure you see this match!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Ospreay's initial respect towards Okada turning into fire as his confidence grew was tremendous, and the final few minutes of the match were incredibly good with both taking control in different sections and some beautiful false finishes and tremendous counters. Postmatch was real good too, make sure you see this match!

Yeah

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Yes

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Absolutely

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

yeah, I think this might be the first Okada match where I enjoyed the opening stretch as much as the ending stretch.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Also

HM: Travis Banks vs. Mike Bailey (02/02 Riptide Deep Six)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYH7oXjS5bg

Really good match and I was surprised by the cinematic production coming out of a small British indie. The picture quality is excellent for an indie promotion uploading their matches on YouTube but the constant panning and frequent cuts became a little distracting to me.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

TTBF posted:

I'm getting February's match of the month thread ready. If you've got any matches to recommend or insist on that isn't on Jerusalem's list, post them here before the 7th please.

I'm gonna go back to watch a few matches I missed to see if I'll throw them a HM or MOTYC, but the list for now stands at

Evil & Sanada vs Okada & Goto for IWGP Tag Titles - 2/06
The Brian Kendrick vs Shinsuke Nakamura (Simmed) - 2/08
Oedo Tai vs Mayu Iwatani, Tam Nakano & Mari Apache - 2/10
Ospreay vs Takahashi for IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship - 2/10
Okada vs Sanada for IWGP Heavyweight Championship - 2/10
Tony Nese vs Drew Gulak - 2/13
Io Shirai vs Momo Watanabe - 2/18
Reigns/Rollins/Cena/Elis/Balos/Miz/Strowman Gauntlet Match - 2/19
*Niebla Roja vs Soberano Jr - 2/23
*Rush & El Terrible vs Volador Jr & Ultimo Guerrero - 2/23
Cody & Marty Scurll vs The Golden Lovers - 2/24
Asuka & Miz vs Finn & Sasha - 2/27

Matches with an asterisk have a summary already written by someone. If you'd like to write a summary or argument for a match PM me (preferred) or post it here. If you really like a match that you don't see on that list and want it included, send me a PM (preferred) or post it here.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WMOTYC: Volador Jr vs Cavernario 3/5 CMLL Arena Puebla

Just a horrible finish.

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

^^^2nd. More of an angle than a match, really. Factor in that the previous two matches also had gently caress finishes though, and you have a poo poo sandwich with a rotted cherry on top.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Irrelevant Nth but yeah. Just watched this and really enjoyed it from start to finish.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
205 live report: the main of Ali vs Murphy banged, woke up a dead crowd, showed the strengths of both dudes, and had a cool finish, recommend!!

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

205 live report: the main of Ali vs Murphy banged, woke up a dead crowd, showed the strengths of both dudes, and had a cool finish, recommend!!

I'd go HM on this one. Best of the tournament so far imo.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

abraham linksys posted:

Nth a HM nom. Go Ali!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Agreed. This was a great match with a hot crowd that was totally behind Will.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Dragon Gate

3/3, Championship Gate Night 1
HM - Open the Triangle Gate Championship Match: MaxiMuM (Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, Jason Lee) vs. Tribe Vanguard (YAMATO, Flamita, Yosuke♡Santa Maria)

A loving wild spotfest. Lots of classic Dragon Gate trios action, with a particular focus on Maria and Jason Lee that was really excellent and exciting. If this was a fully shot, edited, and commentated show at like Kobe World or something, i'd probably put this at MOTYC, but the single hardcam no commentary knocks it down just enough to HM status.

3/4, Championship Gate Night 2
MOTYC - Open the Dream Gate Championship Match: Masaaki Mochizuki vs. Ben-K

Mochizuki is on a loving mission in this title reign to make some new loving stars and get those young bois over. After having the best match of Kzy's career, Mochizuki has now had the best match of Ben-K's (admittedly short so far) career. Ben-K came out looking like a million bucks with a stellar performance and a great ending.

Korakuen Hall - 3/6
MOTYC - Open the Owarai Gate Championship Match: Ryo Saito vs. Shingo Takagi

In which Shingo Takakgi suffers a humiliating victory.

HM - Kotoka Retirement Match: Masaaki Mochizuki, YAMATO, Yosuke♡Santa Maria, Don Fujii, Kagetora vs. Kotoka, Naruki Doi, Masato Yoshino, CIMA, Dragon Kid

In terms of ring work and match psychology and all that poo poo this match isn't the greatest or anything, but great character work and subtle interactions and the crowd was super into it, plus it's a retirement match, so it got emotional. Great match for those deep into Dragon Gate.

Twin Gate match from Night 2 was also real good but not quite nomination worthy.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 9, 2018

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Do you have links to the individual matches? I really enjoyed the Mochizuki/Kzy match but I can't sit through a whole Dragon Gate show.

If not, I'll try to click through until I find them on Puroresu Dream.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dimebags Brain posted:

Korakuen Hall - 3/6
MOTYC - Open the Owarai Gate Championship Match: Ryo Saito vs. Shingo Takagi

In which Shingo Takakgi suffers a humiliating victory.

Okay my interest is piqued, I gotta see this match.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Despite a really nasty looking Tokyo Pimps I'd like to give a nod to Juice vs Yujiro from the 3/9 New Japan Cup show for HM. Some really fun work from Juice, and Yujiro didn't gently caress up too badly.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

I Before E posted:

Despite a really nasty looking Tokyo Pimps I'd like to give a nod to Juice vs Yujiro from the 3/9 New Japan Cup show for HM. Some really fun work from Juice, and Yujiro didn't gently caress up too badly.

I thought it was really good but not quite HM level.

This one might be an unpopular choice for reasons unrelated to the wrestling but

MOTYC: Michael Elgin vs. Tomohiro Ishii (3/9 New Japan Cup)

kinda left a bad taste in my mouth but I can't deny it was a really good match.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I could see someone finding the wrestling distasteful

cams posted:

https://twitter.com/MrLARIATO/status/972077821400158209

for real what in the gently caress

i did not react well to that

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Okay my interest is piqued, I gotta see this match.

Definitely not a match you can go in blind to and get a MOTYC out of, sadly.

The Owari Gate is DG’s comedy belt. It’s almost never defended on actual taped shows anymore, and people forgetting that it exists is a running joke. However, it was defended here. So Owari matches are comedy matches, and no matter who wins the actual match, they ask the crowd to cheer for who they thought was the funniest afterwards. The person with the loudest cheers becomes the champ.

Shingo is a super-serious main event level heel that the crowd hates. He has a Cornette-level disdain for comedy wrestling and absolutely despises “comedy wrestlers”. Ryo Saito is a popular midcarder who functions as a quiet unit workhorse or comedy wrestler. He has been feuding with Shingo for several months, and it finally culminated in this match, when he convinced Head Ref Yagi (who functions as DGs GM) to book the match, on account of Yagi being sick of Shingo’s heel antics. The lead to this match has been a month of Saito mocking Shingo for being stuck in this match and Shingo restating how much he hates this and really emphasiszing that winning the belt might be the lowest point of his career (hint hint audience).

It was great.

Dimebags Brain fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 9, 2018

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Baron Corbyn posted:

I thought it was really good but not quite HM level.

This one might be an unpopular choice for reasons unrelated to the wrestling but

MOTYC: Michael Elgin vs. Tomohiro Ishii (3/9 New Japan Cup)

kinda left a bad taste in my mouth but I can't deny it was a really good match.

I hated the Yujiro vs Juice match.

Elgin vs Ishii on the other hand - well, it was a very good match apart from Elgin being Elgin IRL and that horrific spot above. I'll give it an

HM: Michael Elgin vs. Tomohiro Ishii (3/9 New Japan Cup)

Takuan
May 6, 2007

extradite THIS! posted:

Elgin vs Ishii on the other hand - well, it was a very good match apart from Elgin being Elgin IRL and that horrific spot above. I'll give it an

HM: Michael Elgin vs. Tomohiro Ishii (3/9 New Japan Cup)
same.
HM: Michael Elgin vs Tomohiro Ishii (3/9 New Japan Cup)

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

WMOTYC - Punishment Martinez vs. Soberano Jr, ROH Manhattan Mayhem 3-3-18

I have only seen bits and pieces of Punishment Martinez, I don't remember him being as awful as he was in this match. He was atrocious and I hope it doesn't reflect badly upon Soberano.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

ill second that sure

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Jenkem Delivery posted:

WMOTYC - Punishment Martinez vs. Soberano Jr, ROH Manhattan Mayhem 3-3-18

I have only seen bits and pieces of Punishment Martinez, I don't remember him being as awful as he was in this match. He was atrocious and I hope it doesn't reflect badly upon Soberano.

3rd. I actually saw people blaming Soberano for that match because "lucha is awful anyway"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
isn't the whole issue with that match that Soberano showed up at the arena crazy late because of awful customs snafus and they had to do the whole thing on the fly

I know literally nothing about the process of working a match, but it seems to me like there aren't very many wrestlers who could do a whole match, start to finish, on the fly? but maybe I'm totally off-base on that