Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
That owns . God-willing we'll all be busy with Splatoon 3 by then but when Splatfests end it would be cool if they put all the different Shifty Station maps into rotation somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Dr Cheeto posted:

I wonder what happens when you try to superjump into or out of the dome
They will probably just disable the superjump to the relevant parties at that time, but the proper way to do it would be to slam into the dome and slowly, painfully slide down it if attempted.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

goferchan posted:

That owns . God-willing we'll all be busy with Splatoon 3 by then but when Splatfests end it would be cool if they put all the different Shifty Station maps into rotation somehow

The Shifty Stations are all generic beta testing for gimmicks. Give it a couple months, something'll probably turn up using some of them.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Shifty Stations are all generic beta testing for gimmicks. Give it a couple months, something'll probably turn up using some of them.

That's what we thought about Labs in Rocket League, and only one of those stages was ever implemented into the main game. AND THEN, the community decided that "non-standard gimmick stages" were trash and collectively voted to remove that one stage.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Takoluka posted:

That's what we thought about Labs in Rocket League, and only one of those stages was ever implemented into the main game. AND THEN, the community decided that "non-standard gimmick stages" were trash and collectively voted to remove that one stage.

Three stages, sort of - :rip: Neo Tokyo and Wasteland :smith: (I don't miss the old starbase though)

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Manky posted:

Three stages, sort of - :rip: Neo Tokyo and Wasteland :smith: (I don't miss the old starbase though)

Originally, Neo Tokyo was Labs Underpass, and even after the removal, "Tokyo Underpass" is still a stage. Wasteland and Starbase ARC didn't start as Labs levels, but they too were changed. :(

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Right you are. I really do miss non-standard maps - to my mind, it was like tennis and playing on different surfaces, sort of.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Manky posted:

Right you are. I really do miss non-standard maps - to my mind, it was like tennis and playing on different surfaces, sort of.

Wasteland was a little frustrating in that corner shots would almost certainly just roll into the goal, but you had to approach things very differently. Neo Tokyo encouraged major air game from the sides. Starbase ARC was just big and dumb, but it would be PERFECT for Dropshot.

In regards to Shifty Stations showing up as normal stages later, Nintendo puts A LOT of effort and detail into stages. I genuinely doubt they'll bring them back in any real capacity as we know them, outside of The Shoal. We might see some of the concepts in a fully reworked Saltspray Rig, but we'll see the remaining levels from Splatoon 1 well before we see any Shifty Station (Final).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Takoluka posted:

In regards to Shifty Stations showing up as normal stages later, Nintendo puts A LOT of effort and detail into stages. I genuinely doubt they'll bring them back in any real capacity as we know them, outside of The Shoal. We might see some of the concepts in a fully reworked Saltspray Rig, but we'll see the remaining levels from Splatoon 1 well before we see any Shifty Station (Final).

Oh no, Shifty Stations aren't normal maps in disguise. They're beta test maps for gimmicks like the scrubbers, cannons, and the invisible surfaces. All they exist for is to let players run ham on them to make sure they don't break.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A separate shifty Station Turf War hopper would be kind of fun. You could even make it like salmon run where it only shows up periodically and has some capsule bonus. Call it Marina's Marina

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

A separate shifty Station Turf War hopper would be kind of fun. You could even make it like salmon run where it only shows up periodically and has some capsule bonus. Call it Marina's Marina

I like the idea but that name could probably use a bit of workshopping

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Pearl Harbor

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Takoluka posted:

Pearl Harbor

Lol

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Literally the name of the thread.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I love Shifty Station even if it doesn't always work. Adding a little spice makes life fun :chef:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Look closer at this screenshot. We actually have multiple Thunderdomes. :unsmigghh:

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Dr. Fetus posted:

Look closer at this screenshot. We actually have multiple Thunderdomes. :unsmigghh:

I have a feeling they're going to go up and down a few times over the course of the round.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Is that actually the next splatfest. Omfg.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

What the

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's real. This is the hardest decision of all time.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
its egg

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

In Training posted:

It's real. This is the hardest decision of all time.

The scientifically correct answer is egg, so...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

gently caress off

Edit: maybe though...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
We know that the zygote forms first, and the egg forms around the fetus soon after. So the question you're really answering is does life begin at conception?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Guy Goodbody posted:

We know that the zygote forms first, and the egg forms around the fetus soon after. So the question you're really answering is does life begin at conception?

youre just making the answer egg even more

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Guy Goodbody posted:

Actually the question you should be asking is, do you feel lucky, punk?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
The answer is that free will is a lie and your answer to this question has been entirely determined by events outside your control

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dr Cheeto posted:

The answer is that free will is a lie and your answer to this question has been entirely determined by events outside your control

Since lying by definition requires volition, free will cannot be a lie

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Can I bring you the good word of Compatibilism to this thread?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

The Bloop posted:

Since lying by definition requires volition, free will cannot be a lie

Lying requires intention, but does intention imply volition?

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
Team Chicken because that hair color would look hella fresh on my squid.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
The answer is obviously egg

Also how do these splatfests work? I just bought this game like a week ago.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

1500quidporsche posted:

The answer is obviously egg

Also how do these splatfests work? I just bought this game like a week ago.

You pick a side and then during the even you get matched against the opposite side in Turf War. They track a global win/loss record in solo and team queue, and then compare popularity. Whichever side wins 2/3 wins splatfest and legally they're correct forever

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

goferchan posted:

I know this thread generally shits on the Shift Station maps (more like lovely Station, am I right? eh?) but I've enjoyed a lot of them and are sad that we can never play them again.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
A recent interview said that they may be playable in the future after Splatfests end.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There was a shifty station with a little ink rail around a tall wall and a raise platform on the right hand side and a sizable gap on the left...that was absolutely my favorite and I would play that unchanged. I also really liked the cannon one in the last splatfest

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really hope that just once they do a Shifty Station with everything. moving platforms, sections that go up and down, ink rails, cannons, the bounce pads from singleplayer, and the dropping cages. All the gimmicks in one amazing stage that everyone will hate

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I've played a few more matches on Goby Arena and I think I flat out don't like it...ah well. They can't all be winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blank Construct
Jan 20, 2010

Shepard.

Nap Ghost
I voted chicken because they're delicious.