Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

TealShark posted:

I don't know what I'm more irrationally angry at: The YouTube app re-design being so bad I just deleted it and will AirPlay YouTube videos from now on, or myself for not shutting off auto-updates on my Apple TV after Hulu updated their UI.

What is even going on with the Hulu app? We loaded it up for the first time the other day and then went back to Netflix or like HGTV or something sensical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Proteus Jones posted:

The NBC Sports app is terrible as well. I specifically downloaded it since it will let me watch any event live or in replay in its entirety. That way I don’t have suffer through the official NBC broadcasts.

However, the interface is absolute trash. Swiping is overly sensitive. Button presses take a good solid 1 or 2 seconds to register. Scrubbing is mostly “um... no I won’t do it”. The worst is during event replay (which is what I mostly use because of the time difference) an overlay will pop up telling me I can jump to specific competitors for the event I’m watching. While that is cool and all, it keeps loving popping up every 5 mins or so.

I was using it a couple days ago and it was just randomly stopping. I couldn't figure out why.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

EL BROMANCE posted:

That show was aired very much out of order, could be related to your issues?

Ya - I knew that about the first season. We are in the second season and it’s continuing. Main issue is it just doesn’t track progress in a given episode at all.

We watch an episode and no progress tracked whether we finish it or not.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Is the YouTube app any better on the 4K Apple TV? I hate it so much. It makes me not want to watch YouTube.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

smackfu posted:

Is the YouTube app any better on the 4K Apple TV? I hate it so much. It makes me not want to watch YouTube.

No. Worse actually since you have the added slap in the face that videos are marked as 4K but don’t actually play in 4K.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Wait so is 4K YouTube playback something that can be patched in or?

I know the PS4 app for example had 4K support parched in but I don’t know how any of this works

Cause YouTube doesn’t do 4K on the Apple TV right

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Apple doesn't support the 4K codec that YouTube uses. So 4K YouTube is probably never happening on the AppleTV.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Apple doesn't have support for the video codec YouTube uses for 4k (VP9). This is why the Apple TV can't play 4k Youtube, and neither can Safari.

Apple is the lone holdout in this case. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from adding VP9 support into their products, other than stubbornness.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

stevewm posted:

Apple doesn't have support for the video codec YouTube uses for 4k (VP9). This is why the Apple TV can't play 4k Youtube, and neither can Safari.

Apple is the lone holdout in this case. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from adding VP9 support into their products, other than stubbornness.

Not really. There is no hardware decoding support in any of their products so they may not be fast enough to do the decoding in software.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Granite Octopus posted:

Not really. There is no hardware decoding support in any of their products so they may not be fast enough to do the decoding in software.

Fair enough for the Apple TV, but they don't have any excuse on desktop though.. Every other browser supports it just fine on Mac.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why are they holding out? Is VP9 technically/technologically inferior to whatever Apple supports? Is there a higher royalty(?) fee that they don’t wanna pay? Or is it just Apple being Apple saying “you’re encoding your videos wrong?”

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why are they holding out? Is VP9 technically/technologically inferior to whatever Apple supports? Is there a higher royalty(?) fee that they don’t wanna pay? Or is it just Apple being Apple saying “you’re encoding your videos wrong?”
I don't know enough to tell you all the specific details on the two, but here's what I know:

Apple uses HEVC/H.265, a competing video standard, for all their stuff.

H.265 is by a group of companies and backed by a group of companies' patents. To use it, you have to pay a decent amount of money.

VP9 is developed by a company that Google bought out and is controlled entirely by Google. It's free to use.

Apple's mobile chips (which are used in the ATV) have special hardware to encode and decode H.265 video very efficiently. VP9 would have to be done in software, which would use a lot more battery power.

Qualcomm's newest chip in the Pixel 2 and S8 can do both, but hardware support for VP9 is a lot new newer than support for H.265.

(Intel's PC chips can do both standards, unsurprisingly.)

As of 2016, Netflix said H.265 is better for streaming according to their metrics: http://www.streamingmedia.com/Articles/Editorial/Featured-Articles/Netflix-Finds-x265-20-More-Efficient-than-VP9-113346.aspx

If I had to guess, I'd say Apple doesn't like the "controlled entirely by Google" part of VP9. Google had them in a corner when re-negotiating rights to their maps, which lead to Apple calling their bluff and releasing Apple Maps, which was not at all ready. I'm guessing Apple doesn't want a repeat of that: never supporting 4K video on youtube is a much better look than supporting it and then pulling support should Google decide to alter the deal.

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 18, 2018

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well Google owns VP9, and makes it open source for everyone. So it’s really just down to a dick measuring contest between Apple and Google. Apple tends to not use a ton of open source type stuff anyways, as they love using their own poo poo for everything.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Never trust Google when they say ‘you can use this, it’s free!’

Outside of them does anyone major use VP9? Hopefully not.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
VP9 is contained in WebM, and Apple isn’t convinced that WebM is truly royalty free, as there’s an argument that it still violates MPEGLA patents.

This stuff goes back to the fight over the <video> tag; with Google’s solution usually being embraced by Mozilla and the FOSS community and Apple choosing patented licensed options that are incompatible with a no-cost, royalty-free browser or OS, and creating demand for it by leveraging the Safari/iOS user base.

It’s hard to cry foul on Apple in this case simply because it’s difficult to tell how Apple benefits in doing this. Except maybe in preventing distros like Ubuntu from converting casual Mac users if it can’t legally play formats people want to use without breaking the DMCA. Otherwise, it’s not likely Apple sees Firefox as a huge threat to Safari and their OSes, and Chromebooks would just roll the license into their cost if Apple wins.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 18, 2018

its HIM
Oct 22, 2013

hey girl you up posted:

What is even going on with the Hulu app? We loaded it up for the first time the other day and then went back to Netflix or like HGTV or something sensical

“Millenials don’t want to choose between a bunch of things, they just want one recommendation at a time. Also, they like ‘exploring’ apps by swiping in random directions rather than using standard UI.”

Grossly paraphrased from memory, but a Hulu exec said basically that when the new abomination came out.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
So back to the screensavers: there are definitely some new ones today.

The one I saw this evening is a top-down pan of a river inlet in some bougie gently caress city and it’s full of opulence.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is there no way to adjust my location preferences in YouTube.app? It automatically geolocates me and sets the trending videos, music, etc, to those in the country I’m living in but I want it to show me trending videos from the US. Trending videos for this country seem to be a lot of silly stuff I don’t care about, but on the computer I’ve set it to show me trending stuff from the US and it shows me a lot of things like talk show segments and news clips and just things in general I’d rather watch.

e: There’s nothing in settings and this same google account shows me trending in the US videos on the computer.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

HEY NONG MAN posted:

The one I saw this evening is a top-down pan of a river inlet in some bougie gently caress city and it’s full of opulence.

Probably Dubai.

There's a nice one of LA at night now. HDR...

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Trending videos for this country seem to be a lot of silly stuff I don’t care about

wow dude xenophobic much

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

wow dude xenophobic much

Ok?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Unless there’s more than one “opulent, ultra-clean river in a city that looks like it could be Dubai”, then the one you are referring to has been in for months.(for me anyway...)

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Apple TV screensavers exist in another dimension where cars all move at the same speed in perpetual formation, nobody ever changes lanes, every body of water looks clean and every brand logo on a skyscraper has been scrubbed aside from one Dubai building wrap for Tim Hortons that even the wizards of this universe couldn't quite delete.

Trying to make sense of what you see in them is a recipe to go mad. Just accept that they're what Superman sees on his casual days.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I don’t know when it updated again, but I see the Subscription page in YouTube is back to showing a grid again. And ten sec ff/rew was working for me again the other night. That seemed to be the main 2 complaints yeah? I don’t love the design but at least they’ve listened to people’s issues.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
It’s better but it wasn’t exactly hard to improve on a garbage fire.

Scrolling in the app and through a video still isn’t as smooth as it was.

It’s gone from 1 Star to 2.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Yeah the problem for any AppleTV app is that the built in video player is so drat good and perfect for the device and its remote that to try to do your own thing is almost pointless.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Does it make navigation sounds again yet?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

honestly when comparing to any other streaming device or capabilities nothing beats the side swiping on the touchpad for seeking

The PS4 controller actually does something similar but far less intuitive with its touchpad when watching Blu-ray and I’m guessing streaming things online? So it was a familiar welcome

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is there some trick to getting that 10-second skip click to work consistently? Didn't expect to have such a problem with it but it's making me feel like a fat fingered ol' goon here.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just click on the edges of the remote isn’t it? That’s what I was doing the other night and don’t recall any issues, but I don’t tend to move back and forth in YouTube videos too often.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

EL BROMANCE posted:

Just click on the edges of the remote isn’t it? That’s what I was doing the other night and don’t recall any issues, but I don’t tend to move back and forth in YouTube videos too often.

Huh, it must be a PlayStation Vue issue then. Just Airplayed a video for the first time in a while and I was side-clicking like a pro. Hope they sort that out!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

I think it varies by app. I know NBC Sports app it just doesn't loving work for me.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah sorry in my head I thought it was a YT query specifically. Yeah I guess it’s not part of default behaviors and has to be specifically included in the app.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
I'm getting a weird issue with Netflix: The signal from the ATV drops and immediately comes back, and whatever I'm watching keeps playing. It only happens in the Netflix app, and only in the first couple of minutes of the first movie or TV show I'm watching after opening the app. Has anyone else seen this?

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
I’ve been seeing this too, and I’m glad it’s not just me!

edit: sounds like the same thing at least - I get what looks like a single (or maybe 1-3) black frame on the screen. Everything keeps going like nothing happened.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 3, 2018

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?
I've worked out that it's switching from RGB High to YCbCr, and it looks like this:

https://imgur.com/LAV1R0W

You can clearly see that when it switches, it's cutting off the edge of the image, which is what I get in YCbCr mode. It seems weird that the Netflix app would be able to do that.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
My wife has been complaining about Food Network app doing this, good to see that's it's not just us

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I just saw a new screensaver on my 4K set and it’s great :neckbeard: It’s s beach and pier with amusement park rides and really colorful in general. Anyone know where it is?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Boris Galerkin posted:

I just saw a new screensaver on my 4K set and it’s great :neckbeard: It’s s beach and pier with amusement park rides and really colorful in general. Anyone know where it is?

I’m pretty sure it’s the Santa Monica pier in LA. The night one downtown came out pretty well, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Boris Galerkin posted:

There's like 3 or 4 new ones and they all seem to be based around LA.