Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Paul DeMeo, co-creator of the 90s Flash series, passed away.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/02/27/paul-de-meo-90s-flash-tv-series-died/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

pile of brown posted:

Metal is objectively superior :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZFl0gQLz2k

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
It's more a lazy cliche for super smart people who only enjoy fancy stuff like Opera and Classical Music. Writers who aren't very smart have this weird idea about what smart people are like. I mean the flipside is the genius watches cartoons and listens to heavy metal, but is probably obnoxiously immature.

I mean it also makes sense from a save money point of view because you can get pretty much any classical music for very cheap. For years it was used because you could get Russian recordings of stuff for free becuase before the USSR fell there was zero copyright law covering anything from there.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Look, you can't pick on the costumes, that's a caveat of basically every superhero ever, ever. Put on a small mask or maybe just take off your glasses and comb your hair back and no one on the planet can recognize you. That's just how it works.

teamcharlie posted:

Savitar: "This is where we came up with the cerebral inhibitor to use against DeVoe..."

About eight or so weeks from now:

Harry, holding a steak knife in the air in front of Team Flash in that same room, "Hey guys! I just realized that if we're in close enough range to slap that dumb techno-thing on DeVoe's head that totally didn't work, we could just stab him/her in the brain instead. I'm calling this steak knife 'The Cerebral Inhibitor.'"

This would be the best ending possible.

TwoPair posted:

I mean here's your season finale: Devoe has his machine to save the world ready to go, he's got a tentacle coming got Ralph while both he and Barry look on helplessly (because he's got them trapped somehow) and he brags about how he'll save the world by killing millions (cue shocked reaction shots from everyone), until a shot rings out and Devoe's wife is dramatically revealed to have shot him in the back. Then they ask why she did it and she says "he wasn't my husband anymore".

But this is almost certainly what's going to happen. At this point I'll consider it a bit of a twist if it DOESN'T happen.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

TwoPair posted:

I mean here's your season finale: Devoe has his machine to save the world ready to go, he's got a tentacle coming got Ralph while both he and Barry look on helplessly (because he's got them trapped somehow) and he brags about how he'll save the world by killing millions (cue shocked reaction shots from everyone), until a shot rings out and Devoe's wife is dramatically revealed to have shot him in the back. Then they ask why she did it and she says "he wasn't my husband anymore".
My guess is that she'll join up with Team Flash an episode or two before the finale, after DeVoe misses giving her a dose of the love-drug tears he's using to keep her from turning on him. She'll reveal some exploitable Death-Star-exhaust-port style weak-point in the tech she built for DeVoe, and they'll use that against him. Cisco will make that exact Star Wars reference, possibly with "woosh" noises as he mimes an X-Wing. The plan won't work, because [reasons] and then the rest will play out your way.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Robot Hobo posted:

My guess is that she'll join up with Team Flash an episode or two before the finale, after DeVoe misses giving her a dose of the love-drug tears he's using to keep her from turning on him. She'll reveal some exploitable Death-Star-exhaust-port style weak-point in the tech she built for DeVoe, and they'll use that against him. Cisco will make that exact Star Wars reference, possibly with "woosh" noises as he mimes an X-Wing. The plan won't work, because [reasons] and then the rest will play out your way.

Ooh ooh, and when she takes Team Flash on a tour of the secret lab, Cisco exclaims "this house is bitchin".

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bruceski posted:

A guy I grew up with is a Country singer now so I'm obligated to fight you on this one, but I only like one song of his so I'm not gonna fight very hard.

Someone has to stick up for music's retarded cousin.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Argue posted:

Ooh ooh, and when she takes Team Flash on a tour of the secret lab, Cisco exclaims "this house is bitchin".

Nah, set up for the next season will be Dawn and Don, and they say it in unison when they're at the West household for the first time.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

TwoPair posted:

I think they've used that for multiple superheroes. Like Batman saying his suit's armor is thicker near the bat-symbol or Superman saying the S draws people's eyes so they don't focus on his face and then put two and two together and figure out he's Clark Kent. But especially to explain how a domino mask is ever supposed to work.

I think it was the Spirit who covered his love interests face when she asked him if he thought the mask was a good disguise and told her to describe him, and she called him something like "a generic looking dude with a big fat distraction on your face."

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Avalerion posted:

Agreed, expect for Devoe the show’s been on good. To the point that I wouldn’t mind next season not really having a big bad. Just have random crisis of the week stuff and lots of fun character interactions.
Wouldn't mind? The main antagonist has been dragging this show down since season two. Just like it eventually does every show like this. Arrow. Supernatural. Buffy. They do the big bad thing well once, twice, maybe three times if they're really lucky and then they just keep doing it forever even though it isn't working any more.

muscles like this! posted:

I enjoyed this episode up until the end. Like I laughed really hard at Ralph making fun of the hallway pep talks but then just straight up murdering the new character was crappy. Everything with Izzy felt really compressed, it should have been at least a couple of episode arc instead of everything happening on the day after meeting her.
Or maybe they could just not kill everyone all the time. This show is worse than Supernatural when it comes to the wasted potential of minor characters been killed for no good reason.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

What ever happened to those silly screen cap synopses from last season, those were the best.
The person doing them just vanished without explanation and hasn't come back.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Tiggum posted:

The person doing them just vanished without explanation and hasn't come back.

They were absorbed into the Speed Force, duh.

TOMMY PROVOLONE
Jul 30, 2014

I am the sun. The moon.

DeVoe ultimately fails as a villain because he lacks a defined character, much like Zoom except worse. While the "possessing other people" gimmick sounds nice on paper, it doesn't work because instead of having a good actor playing a villain with good characterization, we instead have a bunch of rather mediocre actors trying to play a character whose only traits are "he's smart", and "he's arrogant".

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tiggum posted:

Wouldn't mind? The main antagonist has been dragging this show down since season two. Just like it eventually does every show like this. Arrow. Supernatural. Buffy. They do the big bad thing well once, twice, maybe three times if they're really lucky and then they just keep doing it forever even though it isn't working any more.

I feel like this has become the model for this kind of tv show. There's always minor bad guys at the start, but that leads into a bigger one, who beats the team at every turn until they figure out the one weird trick that will defeat them. Though I don't remember them always being so cryptic. You have some idea fairly early on at their big plan, DeVoe is keeping secrets for the sake of it. Normally that is limited to the heroes.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

And there's absolutely no way there's going to be a decent payoff for it at the end. What's DeVoe's endgame? World domination? There have got to be easier ways to do that besides arranging a busful of people to have an accident that grants them all superpowers that you then go and collect by murdering them. And then once he's got all the superpowers...? Apparently his master plan is being held up right now because he can't stretch his arms to silly lengths?

At this point he needs to have basically a Sherlock sort of epiphany moment where everything all comes together elegantly and you can see how his plan makes perfect sense, and I don't see how these writers are even capable of it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Phenotype posted:

And there's absolutely no way there's going to be a decent payoff for it at the end. What's DeVoe's endgame? World domination? There have got to be easier ways to do that besides arranging a busful of people to have an accident that grants them all superpowers that you then go and collect by murdering them. And then once he's got all the superpowers...? Apparently his master plan is being held up right now because he can't stretch his arms to silly lengths?

At this point he needs to have basically a Sherlock sort of epiphany moment where everything all comes together elegantly and you can see how his plan makes perfect sense, and I don't see how these writers are even capable of it.

His backstory episode made it seem momentarily like him and wifey’s master plan was to actually try to make the world a better place by using his super brain power to help humanity develop new scientific advancements and cure diseases and social ills through the power of raw :thunk:ing. And that quickly shifted gears to him trying to save his own rear end as all his power thinking literally gave him Hyper MS or something. But they kind of abandoned that and turned him into a body-swapping burning villain.

Like, that would actually be a good angle to play if they stuck through with it. Like, have DeVoe be a guy who’s actually genuinely concerned with he greater good of the world and humanity and he just treats Barry and co. like they a group of annoying idiots who break poo poo and need to be kept occupied because they only understand the world in a limited superhero/supervillain scope so they see him as a villain because they don’t see the good he’s doing on a larger scale, so why not just play to their preconceptions and string them along to hopefully a less destructive endpoint, because otherwise they’d ruin everything with their monumental stupidity.

But of course to do that, you’d have to do stuff like occasionally show DeVoe making a positive difference in the world despite his apparent evil, or have Team Flash have a moment or two of “wait, are we the baddies here?” And have that be the ongoing mystery of the season more than anything else.

But you know, lol flash

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Mar 5, 2018

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

You're essentially describing a version of Watchmen, in that sense. So, yeah, lol flash not going to happen.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Phenotype posted:

And that has somehow lost the bus people and has to locate them again first, mostly at the exact same time as team flash, using an identical face board with the same photos

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

You can even couch it in really obvious terms of him having ideas on how to fix the world but he is preoccupied by the short-term goal of not constantly burning through his bodies, and they could have shown his condition in his original body getting worse i.e. headaches and degenerative movement, etc. Maybe have him do a few token things like grant the city with some invention that does something cool, like a food generating thing or whatever. Then as he keeps killing and getting more unhinged he stops caring so much about fixing the world as much as gaining power and becoming immortal or whatever.

The problem is they want to do a mystery where he is a hyper genius who has some ridiculous long term plan that nobody could even hope to fathom, instead of laying it all on the table and giving him real and believable and understandable short term and long term goals.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
I mean, his long term goal is going to wind up being "Stop the season 5 archvillain from destroying the world," right? So they'll have all summer to figure out how that can make sense or hope we all forget the whole thing.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

You know what I kept wondering as I watched the latest episode? Why don't they just send Ralph for a holiday on another Earth. He could go help Supergirl for a while. One of the few things Team Flash know is that DeVoe needs the bus metas and Ralph is one of them, so why not get him to a safe location until DeVoe's been dealt with?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Tiggum posted:

You know what I kept wondering as I watched the latest episode? Why don't they just send Ralph for a holiday on another Earth. He could go help Supergirl for a while. One of the few things Team Flash know is that DeVoe needs the bus metas and Ralph is one of them, so why not get him to a safe location until DeVoe's been dealt with?

People ask the same thing for every threat to any one they know. The answer - Team Flash are idiots

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Well, they've pretty much reached the point where a jump between worlds is like taking a trip to the next town over, so there's no guarantee Devoe wouldn't just pop over there and grab Ralph while the Flash team is still in Universe 1.

I mean yes, idiots, but this one seems reasonable.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah when the guy's got his own pocket dimension you've got to assume that he's figured out how to cross universes. I mean he knew all about the Council of Wells enough to mock them, so he clearly knows the multiverse is out there (although even if he didn't he probably would've caught the news when a Nazi Oliver Queen started invading the city)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

That's why you put Ralph with Supergirl. The DEO are slightly more competent than Team Flash and have a much more secure base of operations.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Still, the multiverse is infinite. Infinity is a big number to sort through.

There are so many ways they could gently caress with DeVoe's day and they're doing none of them. Plant drugs in Marlize's car and get her arrested. Find DeVoe's hideout and breach King Shark in there for no reason. Impersonate Izzy Bowin and write an op-ed about the misogyny in Star Wars and then dox DeVoe's home address.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Tiggum posted:

That's why you put Ralph with Supergirl. The DEO are slightly more competent than Team Flash and have a much more secure base of operations.

They let Jimmy Olsen come and go as they pleased BEFORE they knew he was a superhero.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nodosaur posted:

They let Jimmy Olsen come and go as they pleased BEFORE they knew he was a superhero.

Yea but Alex would 100% shoot a guy in a flying wheelchair. Probably wouldn't even be the first time either.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Xealot posted:

There are so many ways they could gently caress with DeVoe's day and they're doing none of them. Plant drugs in Marlize's car and get her arrested. Find DeVoe's hideout and breach King Shark in there for no reason. Impersonate Izzy Bowin and write an op-ed about the misogyny in Star Wars and then dox DeVoe's home address.

My buddy had a really good idea for a Superman story along these lines -- some mob boss moves into town and just covers his tracks so well that no one can tie him to anything even though everyone knows he's running all the organized crime in the city. He even taunts Superman, like "what are you gonna do, boy scout? You're not Batman, you're no detective, you can't prove any of this!" So Superman just fucks with his life nonstop -- zips around at superspeed and drops ten gallons of water on his head whenever he steps outside, uses heat vision to overcook all his food, keeps his house unliveably cold with his freeze breath -- until eventually he just gets too frustrated and packs up and leaves town.

I'd think that'd make a really neat Flash episode, actually, there's a lot of fun ways to ruin someone's life when you're Barry Allen.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

Xealot posted:

Actually if you remember the crossover, there are only 52 53 earths.
:goonsay:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Phenotype posted:

My buddy had a really good idea for a Superman story along these lines -- some mob boss moves into town and just covers his tracks so well that no one can tie him to anything even though everyone knows he's running all the organized crime in the city. He even taunts Superman, like "what are you gonna do, boy scout? You're not Batman, you're no detective, you can't prove any of this!" So Superman just fucks with his life nonstop -- zips around at superspeed and drops ten gallons of water on his head whenever he steps outside, uses heat vision to overcook all his food, keeps his house unliveably cold with his freeze breath -- until eventually he just gets too frustrated and packs up and leaves town.

I'd think that'd make a really neat Flash episode, actually, there's a lot of fun ways to ruin someone's life when you're Barry Allen.

There's an episode of Kojak that does that. A kid who needs some cash gets lucky pulling a job. Kojak knows he did it but can't prove it, the kid's getting cocky (there's an encounter between them where Telly Savalas has a wonderful "you're a dead man walking and I wish you realized it" look) and it's only a matter of time before he gets himself hurt or killed so Kojak pulls out all the stops and makes the kid's life Hell trying to get him to turn himself in because he's run out of other places to go. I can't recall if it works or not, and the episode summaries on Wikipedia aren't ringing any bells so I can't rewatch it easily.

E: to be fair, half the episodes of Kojak have a "I can't believe you think you're being smart" look. He does that look well.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Digging this episode so far.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Yea this is a cool concept and it's being done well so far

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I hope they stick the landing, but this is a cool episode.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bleh the "we can't even go back 6 seconds to change time!" Reasoning is stupid

Also why no Wally? Or hell some dopplegangers

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

They can't get Wally because the moment they leave this time zone kaboom?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Guy A. Person posted:

Bleh the "we can't even go back 6 seconds to change time!" Reasoning is stupid

Also why no Wally? Or hell some dopplegangers

howe_sam posted:

They can't get Wally because the moment they leave this time zone kaboom?

Also Wally's on Legends now. Later bitches!

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ohhh yea he's on legends, I need to catch up on that

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Ok that was a pretty cool solution and Iris got to come up with it, hooray!

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Hey Flash can be good, crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

A good episode.

My plan would've been to force feed Ralph the whole cargo container then kick him into the speedforce.