Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Kramnik has been a super-GM for a quarter of a century and has played five (i think?) WC matches, including beating the greatest player of all time for the title. Not to mention being the most influential opening theoretician of his generation. Exactly how Aronian is more "battle-hardened"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

King Pawn posted:

Kramnik has been a super-GM for a quarter of a century and has played five (i think?) WC matches, including beating the greatest player of all time for the title. Not to mention being the most influential opening theoretician of his generation. Exactly how Aronian is more "battle-hardened"?

I think they're referring to the fact he comes in off a victory in the world cup and Gibraltar

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

King Pawn posted:

Obviously that's true! But common consensus is that Kramnik's self admitted problem with concentration in longer events at the Super-GM level would rule him out so I was referring to pretty much everyone but him. But it would be super dope if Vladimir did win!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I've been using 10 minute chess as my mindless chess where I don't care about rating, but I keep accidentally winning

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I'm finding the lichess casual anonymous mode liberating. Fast play, no login, no regrets. I just blundered a piece and barely even winced. If I was playing a ranked game I'd be smashing my keyboard against the table. I guess I'm the Competitive Loser type. Not determined enough to improve but competitive enough to agonize over every lost game.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 26, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Whats a good resource for out checkmate tactics in particular? Recognizing mate threats is by far my most crippling weakness right now. Im working on tactics, but the mix of material and endgame stuff makes me lose focus on always checking for mate threats, so when I inevitable fail those problems, I go "huh! Ill have to remember that structure!" and then proceed to never remember that structure, so having something to sear those patterns into my brain would help.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Relatively high rating tactics problem from chess.com, white to move. CAn you spot the subtle move to win??

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Ask me anything about the strategically unsound sacrifice.

bigfoot again
Apr 24, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Whats a good resource for out checkmate tactics in particular? Recognizing mate threats is by far my most crippling weakness right now. Im working on tactics, but the mix of material and endgame stuff makes me lose focus on always checking for mate threats, so when I inevitable fail those problems, I go "huh! Ill have to remember that structure!" and then proceed to never remember that structure, so having something to sear those patterns into my brain would help.

Chess Tactics Pro has loads of these

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Only the hottest crap tier level blitz for this thread

[Event "Live Chess"]
[Site "Chess.com"]
[Date "2018.03.02"]
[Round "?"]
[White "my opponent"]
[Black "LordPants"]
[Result "0-1"]
[ECO "C84"]
[WhiteElo "968"]
[BlackElo "958"]

{C84: Closed Ruy Lopez: Unusual White 6th moves} 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 a6
4. Ba4 Nf6 5. O-O b5 {I kinda half know a little bit of closed defence theory
but I think the correct move is 0-0 first, and then b5} 6. Bb3 Be7 7. Nc3 O-O
8. h3 Bb7 $146 {At this point my "theory via osmosis" ran out.} 9. Re1 Nd4 10.
Nxd4 exd4 11. Nd5 Nxd5 12. exd5 {White has new doubled pawns: d2+d5} Bd6 13. d3
c6 {undoubling his pawns trying to lock down the queenside} 14. dxc6 dxc6 15.
Bd2 a5 16. a3 c5 17. c4 b4 18. axb4 axb4 19. Rxa8 Qxa8 {Strategically, I'm
loving this poo poo right here, two great bishops and pawns in my opponents half
on the queenside where as I have tonnes of space} 20. Qg4 {I didn't understand
his immediate threat by this move because I'm bad so I weaken the dark squares}
g6 21. Qd7 Rd8 22. Qg4 Qc8 23. Qg5 Qc6 $4 {And here I go, I hang my Rook} 24.
Bd1 (24. Qxd8+ Bf8) 24... f6 {I try a trick to push the queen off the g file
because of mate in one 25...Qxg2#} 25. Qg4 (25. Qxf6 Qxg2#) 25... Kg7 26. Bf3 {
I think this is a smart move because my light squared bishop is pretty strong
so trading it off is a plus for white} Qc7 27. Bxb7 Qxb7 28. Re6 Qa6 29. Qf3
Qa1+ $2 {completely missing grabbing the rook with 29... Bh2+ 30. Kxh2 Qxe6-+}
(29... Bh2+ $142 $1 30. Kxh2 Qxe6 $19) 30. Re1 Qxb2 $4 {This is a bad move
because it completely misses the tactic of Qb7+ which at worst wins the rook}
31. Bc1 {Luckily white missed the tactic} (31. Qb7+ Kg8 32. Bh6 Bf8 {mate
threat} 33. Qb6 Bxh6 34. Qxd8+ Bf8) 31... Qc3 32. Qe4 b3 {Now I begin pushing
the pawn to victory} 33. Rf1 b2 34. Bf4 ({White can survive with the check on
b7 eg:} 34. Qb7+ Kg8 35. Qxb2 Qxb2 36. Bxb2) 34... Be5 {Be5 was a miss click,
luckily it was not fatal} ({If I take, then white wins the rook} 34... Bxf4 35.
Qe7+ Kh6 36. Qxd8) 35. Bxe5 fxe5 36. Qxe5+ Kh6 $4 {a blunder again} (36... Kf7
$142 $11) 37. Qxc5 ({White had the following mating lines, whether or not they
would find it at this level in a blitz game} 37. Qf4+ Kg7 (37... Kh5 38. g4+
Kh4 39. Qh6#) 38. Qc7+ Kh6 39. Qxd8 Qc1 40. Qf8+ Kh5 41. Qxc5+ Kh6 42. Qf8+ Kh5
43. g4+ Kh4 44. Kh2 Qxf1 45. Qh6#) 37... Qc1 38. Qa3 {He needed to play Qb4
instead to avoid...} (38. Qb4 Re8 39. g3) 38... Qxf1+ $3 {Ka-pow! The engine
loves this move and gave me the old double exclam for it XD XD XD That's why
you practice tactics!} 39. Kxf1 b1=Q+ 40. Ke2 Re8+ 41. Kf3 Qd1+ 42. Kg3 Qh5 (
42... Qd2 $142 {secures victory} 43. h4 Qc3 44. Qc5 Qxd3+ 45. Kh2 $19) 43. Qc1+
Qg5+ 44. Qxg5+ Kxg5 {and white resigned although, lol, I probably would have
mucked it up} 0-1

Here's the main event, so to speak, with black to move

Blind squirrel, finds a nut with 38...Qxf1+

edit: To prove i'm not being false humble get this poo poo into your eyeballs:

I love the Fritz family for that reason alone. Also one of those exclams is from Petrossian/Spassky that really famous queen sac or whatever that is in my database because, I guess I was looking over it or something.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Mar 2, 2018

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Daniel King's candidates preview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR-Ed9qZvjU&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLxniI-DAC0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8dngiiNv_0

Jan's (3 dollars behind pay wall, 3 and a half hours in length)

https://chess24.com/en/learn/advanced/video/candidates-2018-a-preview/intro-candidates-2018

I watched some of Jan's and it's really good and more in depth. But whether or not 3 dollars is worth it for you is up to you.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I did it.

Candidates thread -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3851378

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I've been enjoying the chessbrah stream, but now I can't get this out of my head whenever I'm playing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rjXim1ufd8

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Went to the local club to play over the board again. Turns out they were having a match so me and the one other guy who turned up without realizing had a few games.

Need to work on my reply to E4. Currently playing the Caro kann mostly but my theory runs out way before my opponents. Attempted to play a Berlin to honor the candidates but my opponent rudely played the Italian instead.

I had 2 end games that were totally and utterly won which I promptly lost by virtue of getting tunnel vision and ignoring what my opponent was doing. Going to buy 100 end games you must know on chessable to remedy.

The strongest player at the club (ELO ~2000) drew early so took me through his game and a little bit of D4 generally which was great. Going to pay subs and join properly, especially as it's in a working man's club and beers are £3 (in London)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Ugh I've had multiple games lately that have been Won Games but my opponent, good for her, converted to draws

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Foo posted:

Ugh I've had multiple games lately that have been Won Games but my opponent, good for her, converted to draws

Same. I just had a theoretical endgame position from Dvoretsky that I had just studied that I messed up under time pressure and had to take a draw.

The worst was it was a winning Knight stronger than Rook ending so it was kinda rare/unique.

Note the position was a elementary style building a bridge position but where you can just push the rook away because the king is close enough to the edge.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Need to work on my reply to E4. Currently playing the Caro kann mostly but my theory runs out way before my opponents.

How many moves in is this? You want to be careful about trying to solve these problems by learning more theory, because (1) there is always more theory and (2) the problem is always the same when you reach the end of the theory you know, no matter how many moves in. The key is to recognize when you're at the end of the theory you know and, at that point, stop looking for concrete moves and instead take a second to try and orient yourself in the position. What are each player's plans? What are the weaknesses? Where does each piece want to be? Once you've sorted that, then you go back to looking for moves.

This also isn't a skill-relative problem. You can see it even in top level games, where players reach the end of their theoretical knowledge and flounder for a few moves until they get a grip on what's actually happening in the position and make a new plan.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Is there a book or video or something that has a good explanation of intermediate strategic concepts. Preferably free.
I am trying to understand what "controlling the dark squares" actually means in practical terms.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
https://lichess.org/BbCGmYLx/black#80

mmmm technique

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Zug to the zwang

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Why didn't he play Qg2?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Doctor Malaver posted:

Why didn't he play Qg2?

Which move? If you mean instead of Bg2, it's because of Qh4#

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Just finished a blitz game on chess.com where we reached a K+R vs. K+R endgame, no pawns, but my opponent made me play through the next 50 moves while rejecting all several offers. We had an increment so it wasn't even as though he could flag me. WTF is wrong with people. In the spirit of their poor sportsmanship I waited out all but a few seconds of my 3+ minutes on the clock before I played my penultimate move, pinning his rook to his king and forcing the insufficient material draw.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Carbolic posted:

Just finished a blitz game on chess.com where we reached a K+R vs. K+R endgame, no pawns, but my opponent made me play through the next 50 moves while rejecting all several offers. We had an increment so it wasn't even as though he could flag me. WTF is wrong with people. In the spirit of their poor sportsmanship I waited out all but a few seconds of my 3+ minutes on the clock before I played my penultimate move, pinning his rook to his king and forcing the insufficient material draw.

There was a position (it might have been from a US Open) in Chess Life magazine years ago that was all the white pieces on their home squares, no pawns, and the lone black king on e8. The dude playing black refused to resign, so white under-promoted all his pawns and forced the position just because black was being a dick.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

totalnewbie posted:

Which move? If you mean instead of Bg2, it's because of Qh4#

No, white's position falls apart after 33.g6 and the comments point out that it was a zug zwang (move forced because basically no other piece can be moved). I just don't see why white couldn't play Qg2-Qg4-Qg2 and wait for black to break the structure.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
I was watching Ben Finegold's stream earlier and while he's playing someone much lower rated than him this 1 minute game was really something to behold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aVM44b3s5Y&t=2965s

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Doctor Malaver posted:

No, white's position falls apart after 33.g6 and the comments point out that it was a zug zwang (move forced because basically no other piece can be moved). I just don't see why white couldn't play Qg2-Qg4-Qg2 and wait for black to break the structure.

Yeah, I know what a zugzwang is. And yes, white could have played Qg2 there and really should have, probably.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

kumba posted:

I was watching Ben Finegold's stream earlier and while he's playing someone much lower rated than him this 1 minute game was really something to behold

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aVM44b3s5Y&t=2965s

I'm dying, that was a really good 2 minutes to watch

yayyyyy

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The chat also eggs him on to do really stupid mates, so he'll clear the entire board of pieces and then promote like 5 knights or whatever.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Mar 20, 2018

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Watching him promote 8 bishops while trying to not check or stalemate his opponent was some funny poo poo

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

kumba posted:

Watching him promote 8 bishops while trying to not check or stalemate his opponent was some funny poo poo

Is this in the same video?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

White to move. I know this is a really basic tactic, but being able to see and instantly act on this stuff in games is a coolass feeling. Granted I was going to do it anyways :v:

cxp
Mar 27, 2010
Fun Shoe

Control Volume posted:

White to move. I know this is a really basic tactic, but being able to see and instantly act on this stuff in games is a coolass feeling. Granted I was going to do it anyways :v:

Is it 1. Rf8+ Bxf8 2. Nf6+ winning the queen?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

cxp posted:

Is it 1. Rf8+ Bxf8 2. Nf6+ winning the queen?

Yeah. I was planning on doing that exact move sequence regardless since I was up in material and it still gives a small advantage, but he decided to make it even better for me

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Been casually chessing it up again recently, had a bit of an eerie but still oddly satisfying moment last night as I was laying in bed with my iPad. Had just run through the "Punishing Bad Openings" lesson on Chess.com, which (as an example) teaches you how to slap down someone who is playing the Damiano Defense with a quick aggressive push. Decided to fire up a match and lo and behold, not only does black play nearly the exact same opening, but he does so poorly.

Granted, his account is brand new and I'm sub-1100, but it was still oddly satisfying to learn something and then be able to immediately put it into practice. Posting not really for masterful play or anything, but more because I'm now never going to forget how to do this :v:

https://lichess.org/rxrk5uTb

Drone fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Mar 21, 2018

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Drone posted:

Been casually chessing it up again recently, had a bit of an eerie but still oddly satisfying moment last night as I was laying in bed with my iPad. Had just run through the "Punishing Bad Openings" lesson on Chess.com, which (as an example) teaches you how to slap down someone who is playing the Damiano Defense with a quick aggressive push. Decided to fire up a match and lo and behold, not only does black play nearly the exact same opening, but he does so poorly.

Granted, his account is brand new and I'm sub-1100, but it was still oddly satisfying to learn something and then be able to immediately put it into practice. Posting not really for masterful play or anything, but more because I'm now never going to forget how to do this :v:

https://lichess.org/rxrk5uTb

e4, e5
Nf3, f6

That could be the worse possible move that Black can make, other than Ke7. I'd literally rather close my eyes and make a random move with a random piece than play f6.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
never play f6

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Is this in the same video?

i think so but dont quote me on that. ill try and find it later

he also routinely goes for the 3x knight checkmate which is interesting to watch

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
I just has a pretty funny game. Black has a pretty funny way to force a draw, that my opponent missed.

Rh2 then Rg2, the King can't take the rook.

Is there some sort of collection of forced draw sequence exercises? Similar to those collections of standard mating sequences.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

Rh2 then Rg2, the King can't take the rook.

Actually you'll want to do this in the opposite order. If you start with Rh2, white can just check you and then take the rook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Pawn
Apr 24, 2010
Or just mate you in one :)