Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Heh the message you get from spiritual civs when you go full synth made me laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

How the heck does this work. Pathetic + inferior + equivalent = equivalent?

My friend let me show you some true Stellaris logic

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Axetrain posted:

Heh the message you get from spiritual civs when you go full synth made me laugh.

Less fun: The fuckers will chain humiliate you after synth ascension if you're fanatic materialist, that's just enough to hit -100.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Axetrain posted:

Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of The Shroud. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that blorg has created to describe the absence of The Shroud. The Shroud did not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or love that exist just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when blorg does not have The Shroud’s love present in his heart. It’s like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light.

The emperor sat down.

The young blorg’s name — Mercedez Romero.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

Crazyeyes24 posted:

1. Tech. Ascendancy

I wish Tech. Ascendancy felt more like it had an impact. I mean, I know it does, +10% ontop of everything is really good. But it doesn't 'feel' like it does anything special. Does anyone else feel like that too with this particular tech?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Guilliman posted:

I wish Tech. Ascendancy felt more like it had an impact. I mean, I know it does, +10% ontop of everything is really good. But it doesn't 'feel' like it does anything special. Does anyone else feel like that too with this particular tech?

Yeah it's kinda meh considering you can do Research Grants for +10% and Scientific Revolution for +20%/+1 Research. It'd be cool if it had an extra something in there, like how Enigmatic Engineering also gives sensor range. Maybe like +10% to Research Speed and increased chance of pulling rare techs.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Yeah, Tech Ascendancy needs something. I can't imagine ever taking it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
It used to be a viable first pick, but I'd never take it over Executive Vigor now.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Two questions:

Is there a console command to force a tech to be available (but not research it), like how researching debris or picking Master Builders make associated techs always an option?

How would you describe the Hiigarans in terms of Stellaris ethics/government?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Higaarans would probably be fanatic egalitarian (their kiith structure screams this) + spiritualist (they retain a strong, unified spiritual tradition across their entire species)

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

GotLag posted:

Two questions:

Is there a console command to force a tech to be available (but not research it), like how researching debris or picking Master Builders make associated techs always an option?

Pretty sure they're a democratic oligarchy (heads of clans make decisions). Materialist, militarist... not sure what the third point would be. I'd learn towards authoritarian. I don't think they're spiritualist, really, just steeped in tradition.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GotLag posted:

Which version? During the games, Karan S'jet basically acts as their god-emperor. Within the fluff, their society is set up a group of clans bound together by ancestry or shared ideology, administered by a representative—if at times oligarchal—council.

Edit: Agree with them not being super spiritual, at least in the way Stellaris uses the ethic. They turned their best scientist into a supercomputer.

Maybe Oligarchic, with Militarist, Materialist, and Egalitarian. Traditional and Nomadic for the traits.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Mar 3, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Guilliman posted:

Yeah, I frequently want it but don't want to spend a slot on a number go up. In my ideal world I'd have Tech Ascendancy give you the sensor boost from EE and have EE's kicker be a higher chance to roll exotic tech + a 25% research boost on exotic tech only.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Skippy McPants posted:

Which version? During the games, Karan S'jet basically acts as their god-emperor. Within the fluff, their society is set up a group of clans bound together by ancestry or shared ideology, administered by a representative—if at times oligarchal—council.

Edit: Agree with them not being super spiritual, at least in the way Stellaris uses the ethic. They turned their best scientist into a supercomputer.

Maybe Oligarchic, with Militarist, Materialist, and Egalitarian. Traditional and Nomadic for the traits.

This is fun! I guess the Culture and the Polity are both rogue servitors. Culture is xenophile and maybe pacifist or materialist, polity is..xenophobe and militarist?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Splicer posted:

Yeah, I frequently want it but don't want to spend a slot on a number go up. In my ideal world I'd have Tech Ascendancy give you the sensor boost from EE and have EE's kicker be a higher chance to roll exotic tech + a 25% research boost on exotic tech only.

I want an ascendancy that grants a higher chance for maniacal scientists and dangerous tech to show up.

Also, more dangerous tech in the game.

E:

I stole hyperdrives from a fungus race of inward perfectionists, who didn't use it... What I shame I don't have such scruples!

THE BAR fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Mar 3, 2018

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Beefeater1980 posted:

This is fun! I guess the Culture and the Polity are both rogue servitors. Culture is xenophile and maybe pacifist or materialist, polity is..xenophobe and militarist?

The Culture are Xenophile Egalitarian Individualists. I think it's better to play them as charismatic, intelligent, solitary Pan-Humanoid species first rather than Rogue Servitors, then hard research into Drones/Androids/AI Minds along with full AI rights policies.

For role playing habitats and voidborne are an obvious must, and there development is much more scattered around space than a typical empire sphere of influence. Military philosophy should be don't gently caress with The Culture, with a generally pacifist role without actually being pacifist. Any war declared should only be on humiliation grounds rather than galactic expansion. That black site station module should probably be used on areas you want to convert an alien species to your ethics, ala a Contact/Special Circumstances section.

Species uplifting is okay and observations should be passive unless the civilisation in question has opposite traits and ideals to The Culture, in which case it should be set to changing the opinions of the world.

Ringworlds are a must late game.

Large sections of sphere of influence should probably be broken down into vassals to represent the different splinter sections of the Culture (ie the Zetetic Elench).

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

If I'm running slavery and started with syncretic evolution, is there a way to control the breeding of the subservient race beyond the binary population control on/off? Since they have the servile trait I want to ensure they aren't working anything other than mineral and food tiles. The game seems to prefer placing their new pops on those two resources, which I appreciate, but eventually I hit a point where there aren't any more of those and suddenly I have a servile pop working a power plant or science lab.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

ulmont posted:

Yeah, the auto-upgrade is where it all goes to hell.

Auto-design, you mean. Auto-upgrade is perfectly fine, as long as you switch it on only for your own designs.

GotLag posted:

Machines and Hiveminds Coexist

Gives machine empires access to meatbag-related policies so you can make them into slaves or citizens, not just energy. There's also a civic that starts you out with a small organic population to do with as you please (AI Integration) - note that this population currently starts out enslaved, so you need to change their rights ASAP.

Hell, that's the poo poo. I have to go to Steam and subscribe that mod asap

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.

:>

Predicting an official feature for patch 2.3 or later :P

Need some ideas how ship crews could alter ships? Right now I just have Standard crew, Psionic Crew, Synthetic Crew, Clone Crew, Purifier Crew, Alien Crew (think star trek), Slave Crew

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A heartwarming tale

Found out about these guys from someone else's communications in the mid 2200s. That's a spiritualist FE to the south, and that's about 3k of void clouds. They're xenophile egalitarians, and had spent decades locked in by the aliens they so loved. I would free them!

Unfortunately all the routes to them were blocked by rear end in a top hat empires who wouldn't let me through their borders. They had a wormhole in their system, but seem to lack the tech to investigate it. They've since joined my federation, but have otherwise sat trapped in their systems watching everyone else in the universe rush past them for over a hundred years.

A little while back I unlocked a gateway. The other end... popped out 18 jumps to the northwest of that screenshot.

Get hosed

Lookit them go! :3:

I dumped a tonne of energy and minerals on them, and there's two close match planets unclaimed to the north. Good luck guys!

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

I wish when playing as a Feudal Society we could name our Vassals when we release them.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Guilliman posted:

:>

Predicting an official feature for patch 2.3 or later :P

Need some ideas how ship crews could alter ships? Right now I just have Standard crew, Psionic Crew, Synthetic Crew, Clone Crew, Purifier Crew, Alien Crew (think star trek), Slave Crew

How about :

Standard Crew: No change
Psionic Crew: Bonus to evasion and speed (prediction of psionic crew), no shields (shields bounce psionic ability).
Synthetic Crew: Bonus to Armor and HP, penalty to evasion (fight to the death)
Clone Crew: Higher static rank because they're all of the same supersoldier person, penalty to evasion (expendable, again fight to the death)
Purifier Crew: Bonus to Damage, penalty to HP (too busy putting all their thought into killing everything)
Alien Crew: Bonus to Shields and Armor (because science!), penalty to Damage
Slave Crew: Static poor Rank, very cheap, very expendable meat shields.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
So this is my first time playing, and while things were going pretty well (I set up in the middle of some choke points and was able to just build and tech up), I'm in need of some advice on how to build up a good fleet. So far I've gotten by with some corvette missile boat designs and the autobuilds, but now two of the fallen empires have awakened and the contingency just popped up, and I don't think it's going to cut it.

From what I can tell, the Contingency and their doom stacks rely heavily on lasers, so it seems like I should load up on builds with shields, right? But it seems like the smaller ships just aren't going to have the health to stand up, even if I give them every shield I can.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

How does Attrition work? Is it just a fixed rate regardless of what's going on? I've only done a couple of small wars, but it feels like it'd kick me out of a war really prematurely in the event of a big endgame war.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Attrition just ticks up slowly over time. It's what forces wars to actually end when it's a total stalemate and neither side is making progress.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Milky Moor posted:

I wish when playing as a Feudal Society we could name our Vassals when we release them.

I haven't played Feudal Society in the new patch, but as a normal empire I'm able to name vassals when I release them. That's disabled for Feudalism?

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Curse you Saiyans Zayins! :argh:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Reveilled posted:

I haven't played Feudal Society in the new patch, but as a normal empire I'm able to name vassals when I release them. That's disabled for Feudalism?

Huh. When I tried it a few months ago, I wasn't able to. I'll try again!

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Thyrork posted:

Curse you Saiyans Zayins! :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkpavsEoLpk

Fleet power in this game is basically like DBZ power levels :colbert:.

Axetrain fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Mar 3, 2018

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Jabor posted:

Attrition just ticks up slowly over time. It's what forces wars to actually end when it's a total stalemate and neither side is making progress.

I get what it does, I'm just wondering about the rate.

I've just fought a relatively quick (~3 year) war and it made up over 20% of the war exhaustion. It's not a big deal in the early-midgame when three years is enough to smother a decent part of their empire, but in three hundred more years when there's only a few of us left that pace of gain isn't going to give me so much time to properly gently caress them up, especially in a steamrolling situation where my progress is more based on the speed limit of my fleets. I guess my question is if and how that pace will change depending on the nature of the conflict.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'm pretty sure the techs that affect WE gain will slow it down a little.

But honestly a 15 year war seems like plenty of time if you're really in a steamroller situation?

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

the thing where the AI is rated as Equivalent when you're way better is beyond aggravating when you're trying to vassalize or subjugate enemies, even ones you've beaten in wars. On higher difficulties its difficult to stay ahead of the tech curve so the AI usually always has Equivalent or Superior tech which is seemingly enough to counterbalance any amount of military superiority - especially given that a greater portion of your naval capacity isderived from tech until quite far into the game.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
So I just noticed but the fleet manager is real hosed up, isn't it? It keeps thinking that the ships in the fleet don't count as the ships that are supposed to be in there and giving the prompt to reinforce the entire fleet with itself. I hadn't even noticed but a couple of times I'd mysteriously get over fleet cap and I'm beginning to suspect that experienced ships are counted differently from new ships, and so it constantly wants to reinforce the fleet with fresh ships?

I mean it basically makes the reinforce button less than useless.

Lake Effect
May 8, 2008

Guilliman posted:

What about extinct/fallen crew - like how in some SF books, the generation ships will have the crew die off leaving the frozen colonists to wake up and figure out what is going on. You'd have negative bonuses to everything not involved in getting the ship to the nearest colonizable world.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Spanish Matlock posted:

So I just noticed but the fleet manager is real hosed up, isn't it? It keeps thinking that the ships in the fleet don't count as the ships that are supposed to be in there and giving the prompt to reinforce the entire fleet with itself. I hadn't even noticed but a couple of times I'd mysteriously get over fleet cap and I'm beginning to suspect that experienced ships are counted differently from new ships, and so it constantly wants to reinforce the fleet with fresh ships?

I mean it basically makes the reinforce button less than useless.

mostly its that ships that arn't current dont seem to count properly, so always upgrade before reinforcing

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
I'm hoping the new patch will have a way to diplomatically remove claims in the trade screen. The cost would scale with the strength of the claim, so claims that came from having been the first one to colonize a system and then losing it in a war would be much more expensive then a 50 year old unrealized border ambition.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Nevets posted:

I'm hoping the new patch will have a way to diplomatically remove claims in the trade screen. The cost would scale with the strength of the claim, so claims that came from having been the first one to colonize a system and then losing it in a war would be much more expensive then a 50 year old unrealized border ambition.

probably the easiet thing here would to make claim strength scale slightly with age

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

mostly its that ships that arn't current dont seem to count properly, so always upgrade before reinforcing

Nah, this isn't about upgrading or not, just every now and then the game decides that my fleet needs an entire new copy of itself.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Jabor posted:

I'm pretty sure the techs that affect WE gain will slow it down a little.

But honestly a 15 year war seems like plenty of time if you're really in a steamroller situation?

Maybe? I'm more worried about it on the enemies side - if it would tick up to 50% in seven or eight years it would be a pretty severe cut on how badly I can gently caress them up and how much I can leech from occupied systems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Huh. Found Sol in a pre-atomic era and... pre-sapients?

I don't remember this paradox game.