Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

don't use 1blocker when firefox focus is free and they all do the same thing

this is stupid advice. Firefox focus is very gimped, has no tabbed browsing, worse performance and uses more battery life, so it’s a much shittier experience than safari. ya they ‘all do the same thing’ in that they use the same lists but you get some control over what to include and not, and you can make your own custom packages, so if some site in particular is hosed you can fix that. accepting a garbage experience because it’s free is some android nonsense, it’s a good thing to buy apps and support devs if something is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

firefox focus provides adblocking capabilities to safari and thats all i need it for. do people actually use the browsers adblockers are packaged with? i didn't even know focus had prepackaged webview lol.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

site breaks with firefox focus? long press reload, no prob

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

ah lol I’m a huge idiot then, sorry. only advantages of 1blocker would be custom packages and finer control. the focus browser is super bad fwiw

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

firefox focus lets youtube ads through though

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

The_Franz posted:

storm

the old version with a black icon, not the new rewrite with a blue-ish icon that nobody asked for and still isn't at feature parity

best weather app by far

truth. storm started popping up ads for the new app so i tried it and wtf it's fukken garbage, terrible for actually getting the forecast. hopefully they won't abandon storm but eh they probably will whatever there's a billion weather apps i guess :geno:

OldAlias posted:

has no tabbed browsing,

:stare:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

OldAlias posted:

ah lol I’m a huge idiot then, sorry. only advantages of 1blocker would be custom packages and finer control. the focus browser is super bad fwiw

yeah i wasn't suggesting anyone use the browser bits of it. just use focus as an ad blocker for safari and it's good

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

another fun fact for you - iwatch box is 2.5 times the size of a iphonx box

a 747 full of iPhones flying in from China is much less cost effective with big packaging.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Fantastical is a good calendar app.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I mostly just use the first party apps

coke
Jul 12, 2009
eh, no map is perfect

google map has lead me through unpaved dirt road with freshly washed away ditches few feet deep in the middle of the road for 10~20 miles before too, along with the usual 'no cellular signal'

also

turns out the '15 min faster' road was more like 20 minutes slower since it was a seasonal narrow one way dead end alone a canal that i had to slowly back out of

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
just used the "long press the keyboard to move the cursor around a text field" function on my gf's iphone. it was really cool + good. my gf, however, had no idea that was a thing

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
that's actually a force touch gesture

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Silver Alicorn posted:

drat i got owned

e: by timb

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

just used the "long press the keyboard to move the cursor around a text field" function on my gf's iphone. it was really cool + good. my gf, however, had no idea that was a thing

now try letting up the pressure a little bit, then pushing down again

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

my hope is that timmer cookie adds 3d push to the iPhone se 2[x] because i would miss it

but at least the form factor of any se2 would be better than big fone

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I thought the current rumour was that force touch is going away entirely because the discoverability is garbage and nobody uses it for anything

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

infernal machines posted:

as far as i'm concerned it's their fault for following gps directions using apple maps in the first place.

apple maps is laughable garbage and using it by choice should be in the dsm as evidence of a severe mental disorder

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

apple craps tends to get one to the right place nowadays but as a bonus, when still wrong, doesn't give google about ones daily movements (besides ooking forwards to the Owned By Alphabet smart pipe future)

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

The Management posted:

a 747 full of iPhones flying in from China is much less cost effective with big packaging.

eh im not complaining, was just surprised at the “here comes the watch” moment

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

how do i use it? was going mad yesterday trying to insert a missed letter into a word

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

okay here go my questions, but thanks all for lots of apps to install, spend like 2-3 hours last night and this morning

OldAlias posted:

1blocker, paprika, Wunderground, windy. GoSatWatch does what it says as a satellite tracker, but there are numerous free alternatives. VLC for odd unsupported video formats (lol)

paprika as in paprika recipe manager 3?

Rex-Goliath posted:

HQ trivia: a show is hosted twice a day with a $2.5k jackpot. answer 12 questions right and you win! (the questions are REAL fuckin hard) use my referral code: Necc0

apparently they send some arcane sms codes and cant call latvia or something but im unable to active it. going to ask around my provider i guess since the idea sounds cool

Endless Mike posted:

kypass
overcast
deliveries
fantastical
transit
road trip
workflow
ifttt
1blocker
scanbot
really bad chess

kypass 4? fantastical 2 (and why over default calendar)?

The_Franz posted:

storm

the old version with a black icon, not the new rewrite with a blue-ish icon that nobody asked for and still isn't at feature parity

best weather app by far

any major differences between that and main weather underground app?

ufarn posted:

i basically only use week cal, deliveries, and tweetbot

why week cal over default one?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

im noticing that on ios there are a lot of apps that are like

too
too 2
foo 3
foo 4

is that something typical of the local business model?

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
fwiw i flew with lufthansa from munich to marseille last summer and apple wallet worked fine with my ticket

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fatal Error posted:

fwiw i flew with lufthansa from munich to marseille last summer and apple wallet worked fine with my ticket

should be good everywhere in eu then, this poo poo is highly standartised

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

cinci zoo sniper posted:

why week cal over default one?

Because it has a month view where you see your entries at a glance without having to select a certain day.

Regarding wallet: it just saves your passes conveniently in an app that shows up on your lockscreen when you need the pass. There is no functional difference between the QR code of your pass on wallet or the ticket in PDF form or printed out on paper.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

pitch me your favourite iphone apps, i bought one today

pokemon go

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

cinci zoo sniper posted:

also, all stuff at the official apple phone distributor in latvia did call it iphone ecks, not ten

that's because the name of the phone is "iphone x", not "iphone 10"

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Last Chance posted:

i use apple maps exclusively. works 4 me

more like crapple craps

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

how do i use it? was going mad yesterday trying to insert a missed letter into a word

figured out, next question - how do i copy and paste text? :v:

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

carry on then posted:

now try letting up the pressure a little bit, then pushing down again

had no idea about this

god drat is force touch's discoverability awful, lmao

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

bottle flip
robofence
wings war of pacific
lively
motion stills

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

SO DEMANDING posted:

had no idea about this

god drat is force touch's discoverability awful, lmao

i'm pretty sure i said as much when it was announced.

i'm the king of yospos now.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

any major differences between that and main weather underground app?

it's much more concise: map focused, current/daily/hourly/alerts are nicely laid out below the map, everything fits on one screen and the map has all kinds of neat layers like real-time wind currents, the edges of cold/warm fronts, etc... it's also fast, even when it comes to the animated map forecast.

it's free, so you don't lose anything if you don't like it

cinci zoo sniper posted:

figured out, next question - how do i copy and paste text? :v:

long press text and drag handles to select, hit copy

long press in the text input field to bring up the paste menu

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

apple maps is laughable garbage and using it by choice should be in the dsm as evidence of a severe mental disorder

actually it works great, fishmech

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

The_Franz posted:

it's much more concise: map focused, current/daily/hourly/alerts are nicely laid out below the map, everything fits on one screen and the map has all kinds of neat layers like real-time wind currents, the edges of cold/warm fronts, etc... it's also fast, even when it comes to the animated map forecast.

it's free, so you don't lose anything if you don't like it

long press text and drag handles to select, hit copy

long press in the text input field to bring up the paste menu

i just go to windy.com v:shobon:v

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

paprika as in paprika recipe manager 3?

kypass 4? fantastical 2 (and why over default calendar)?
yeah, that paprika. it's v good if you want a recipe app

yeah, kypass 4. it's only useful if you use keepass for your password manager, obvs.

yes, fantastical 2. i prefer the way it's laid out over the default app since it gives you both a month view and a list of upcoming events. or a week view and upcoming events. and you can turn sideways and get a day view more like the default app. it also offers a nice widget. i just find it to be an overall better app for my needs, but maybe not for other people idk

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im noticing that on ios there are a lot of apps that are like

too
too 2
foo 3
foo 4

is that something typical of the local business model?
in short, it's so they can charge you again for an upgrade.

oh also i use beweather for weather. it offers a nice, customizable interface and widget

oh and i'm on the twitteriffic train for twitter since the tweetbot guys are assholes (though their app is very good, too)

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Mar 3, 2018

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

this is just so loving embarrassing and infuriating. embarriating.

you don't have to copy literally everything apple does, you can ignore bad things like the notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

It's all parts of Timbs master plan, now that everyone else makes uglyphones apple will quietly drop the X and this years iPhone redesign is going to dominate the market