Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Guilliman posted:

:>

Predicting an official feature for patch 2.3 or later :P

Need some ideas how ship crews could alter ships? Right now I just have Standard crew, Psionic Crew, Synthetic Crew, Clone Crew, Purifier Crew, Alien Crew (think star trek), Slave Crew

Standard - Standard, reduced upkeep perhaps

Psionic - Psychic Invasion - Increase the enemy's chance to flee battle, as their minds are filled with fear.
OR
Mind-link - Entire fleet has increased evasion and weapon accuracy (this is a thing, right?)

Synthetic - Repair Droids - Bonus hull/armor repair while in combat as repair droids swarm over the ship.

Purifier - Suicide Run - Ship flies to the (biggest? strongest?) ship in the enemy fleet and explodes, dealing double its hull in damage.

Slave - Increased chance of fleeing, much increased fire rate, chance of defecting to the enemy fleet if this ship fled.

I don't know how much, if any, of this is viable through modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

GotLag posted:

How would you describe the Hiigarans in terms of Stellaris ethics/government?

I haven't done the Hiigarans yet, but my Kushan are:
Fanatic Egalitarian, Spiritualist with Functional Architecture and Idealistic Foundation. Intelligent, Natural Engineers.

Hiigarans would probably lose the spiritualism and gain militarism. Maybe get a Gaia-World Hiigara.

The Evil Taiidan Empire:
Fanatic Authoritarian, Militarist. Police State, Cutthroat Politics. Wasteful deviants, with Venerable (because without mods there's no other way to represent the ludicrous Emperor Riesstiu IV The Second). Obviously their Homeworld is Occupied Hiigara.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Psionic crew - bonus evasion & tracking
Synth / Machine crew - bonus hp & reduced maintenance
Slave crew - reduced fire rate & sublight speed, greatly reduced cost & maintenance
Mixed (alien) crew - small bonus to everything, increased cost & maintenance
Fanatic crew - bonus to speed & fire rate, reduced evasion
Cloned crew - reduced cost
Genemodded crew - bonus tracking & fire rate, increased cost

All locked behind techs/ideologies.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Spanish Matlock posted:

Nah, this isn't about upgrading or not, just every now and then the game decides that my fleet needs an entire new copy of itself.

I've only seen that once, but it was when i switched from an auto-upgrade ship to a manually designed ship of the same name. YMMV.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Deformed Church posted:

Maybe? I'm more worried about it on the enemies side - if it would tick up to 50% in seven or eight years it would be a pretty severe cut on how badly I can gently caress them up and how much I can leech from occupied systems.

It doesn't matter if the enemy gets to 100% WE. That just means you'll be able to sign a status quo peace whenever you feel like, basically.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Ship crews sound just like army attachments except in space. Big thumbs down.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

Thyrork posted:

Huh. Found Sol in a pre-atomic era and... pre-sapients?

I don't remember this paradox game.

Alternate reality. Clearly those are what the dinosaurs evolved into when the meteor that was supposed to wipe them out was destroyed by a tiyanki pod.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Is there some secret hidden map mode that shows other empires' claims on your systems?

Edit: a "Revoke Claims" war goal would be kinda nifty

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ah, the barbarian hordes that come to space-pillage you can use wormholes :thumbsup:. Now I am starting a new game because they completely ravaged my interior but left the four super border forts untouched and I am in a death spiral. What a great way for a game to end! And you cant turn it off or avoid it, either!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sure you can. You can buy them off when they say they're coming to gently caress you up.

(Assuming you're on the beta patch; if you're not, they're just aggro and might have hosed you up on the way to someone else.)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Thyrork posted:

Huh. Found Sol in a pre-atomic era and... pre-sapients?

I don't remember this paradox game.

Avian, eh? Looks like this is alternative reality Brin-Earth, and mankind has just begun work on ravens instead of dolphins and apes.

DatonKallandor posted:

I haven't done the Hiigarans yet, but my Kushan are:
Fanatic Egalitarian, Spiritualist with Functional Architecture and Idealistic Foundation. Intelligent, Natural Engineers.

Hiigarans would probably lose the spiritualism and gain militarism. Maybe get a Gaia-World Hiigara.

The Evil Taiidan Empire:
Fanatic Authoritarian, Militarist. Police State, Cutthroat Politics. Wasteful deviants, with Venerable (because without mods there's no other way to represent the ludicrous Emperor Riesstiu IV The Second). Obviously their Homeworld is Occupied Hiigara.

Now do the Beast next!

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ah, the barbarian hordes that come to space-pillage you can use wormholes :thumbsup:. Now I am starting a new game because they completely ravaged my interior but left the four super border forts untouched and I am in a death spiral. What a great way for a game to end! And you cant turn it off or avoid it, either!

Well, you can turn off wormholes in game creation, i did that cause having holes that lead into my secret parts don't appeal to me, but you can't turn off the hordes no. If you turn off gateways too tho you never get the tech to build gateways either, you need to discover a broken gateway to trigger the tech.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The machine empire will go fight hostile ship types (pirates and marauders and such) outside of their borders if they're close enough. Diodachies are treated as normal empires, so as soon as the Khanate splits up, they're no longer a valid target.

They're like a year's travel away, they're not THAT close, just close comparitavely.
And I mean the machine fallen empire killed the Khan, there's like a whole empire between them and the Khan. It just seems strange.

Taear fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 3, 2018

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

ConfusedUs posted:

Sure you can. You can buy them off when they say they're coming to gently caress you up.

(Assuming you're on the beta patch; if you're not, they're just aggro and might have hosed you up on the way to someone else.)
I cant because I'm Fanatic Purifiers :v:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Just build bastions on the wormholes too? And what are you guys talking about, you absolutely can turn marauder empires off.

I haven't had trouble with marauders yet, every time a rival has paid them to attack me has been far enough in the game (maybe 2260ish? 2250 at the earliest) that their raiding fleet hasn't been a big threat. Though the first time they raided me this game I didn't realize what direction they were coming from so they raided a planet and left before I could gather my navy.

e: Oh, well if you can't buy them off as purifiers then that sucks.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

How do I find out what systems my ally is going to war for? The war won't end because there's unoccupied claims but I have no idea where they even want.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I'm just dicking around and letting the contingency take over the galaxy, the xenophobe AE is also deciding "not my problem" now that everything near them is dead.

...the contingency took out the machine AE though so I may have swooped in to take their ringworld. That energy section is basically equivalent to a Dyson sphere!

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Things that are awesome: having the single pop who migrated out of your empire centuries ago migrate back in, having been extensively gene modded by an AI who took the gene modding ascension perk and then realising this means you can now apply that template to your entire 216 pops! It's gotta be rare as hell to happen, but god dammit when it happens it's incredible. It's basically like having an extra 0.5 of an ascension perk.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

King Doom posted:

Things that are awesome: having the single pop who migrated out of your empire centuries ago migrate back in, having been extensively gene modded by an AI who took the gene modding ascension perk and then realising this means you can now apply that template to your entire 216 pops! It's gotta be rare as hell to happen, but god dammit when it happens it's incredible. It's basically like having an extra 0.5 of an ascension perk.

Nice, hopefully the idiot Llamas that are running to to the other two pacifist empires come back some day with something cool.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

The Chosen one is still undemocratic in the latest beta. Upon de-election he turns back into a normal psychic. I assume out of spite. Also, drat is the Dreadnought slow. Didn't pay attention and prolonged a war by several years because it didn't make it in time to reinforce the neighboring system.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Milky Moor posted:

Huh. When I tried it a few months ago, I wasn't able to. I'll try again!

You can, but I also wish you could just change your vassals' names, period. Flags and colours, too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The dreadnought is great cos you can totally gank it with like 10k worth of torpedo corvettes.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

OwlFancier posted:

The dreadnought is great cos you can totally gank it with like 10k worth of torpedo corvettes.

When I got the Dreadnought in 2.0, it had a "bio-engine" or somesuch, with no bonus to sublight speed. Has that always been a thing? It's a bit sad that you can't upgrade it, making it useless in any midgame+ fleet that needs to move. It has a hyperdrive, but yeah.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I believe until 2.0 you couldn't actually look at the designs of most of the special content, so there's probably a bunch of components only they can use. The infinity machine for example has an "infinite gun" XL mount and "points of infinite defence" PD systems.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

There must be some way to see what claims your allies are fighting over, this war is going on forever!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Nightgull posted:

Ship crews sound just like army attachments except in space. Big thumbs down.

They'd be fine if they're an option in the ship designer rather than something assigned like attachments.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
So what is the general opinion of each of the different ascension perks?

I mean in terms like awful, decent or extremely useful.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Most of them are useful, it depends what you want to do, and what kind of empire you're playing.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I cant because I'm Fanatic Purifiers :v:

I’m pretty sure that defensive purifiers are the way to go in 2.0. Keep your initial territory small, heavily fortify your settled systems and any wormholes, tech up like mad until someone declares on you. Then nuke their planets.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I've heard mastery of nature is pretty bad now, since it doesn't give you tech, only reduces tile clearing costs, and generally just gives you 1 extra tile per planet.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

I've heard mastery of nature is pretty bad now, since it doesn't give you tech, only reduces tile clearing costs, and generally just gives you 1 extra tile per planet.

mastery of nature is pretty good if you play with max AI empires and thus run out of empty territory as an influence sink fairly quickly, as you should. extra tiles are nothing to scoff at and a lot more meaningful than a lot of the other no-prereq perks, the only issue is affording the influence and that's not so hard eventually.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Mar 3, 2018

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

OwlFancier posted:

You could, but why bother? they probably cost more than you get for scrapping it, and the thing is slower than a brick rolling up a hill.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
The one that gives a discount on integrating vassals seems pretty pointless. If subjects are a big part of your strategy then you probably want to keep them around and if you don't care about subjects then you're not going to spend a whole perk on them.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

genericnick posted:

The Chosen one is still undemocratic in the latest beta. Upon de-election he turns back into a normal psychic. I assume out of spite. Also, drat is the Dreadnought slow. Didn't pay attention and prolonged a war by several years because it didn't make it in time to reinforce the neighboring system.

makes sense, they're clearly not "the chosen one" if they lose the election

They really need to increase sublight speed, at least for bigger ships. Is combat speed just some fraction of sublight speed, or would it be possible to only increase non-combat speed?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

King Doom posted:

You could, but why bother? they probably cost more than you get for scrapping it, and the thing is slower than a brick rolling up a hill.

I think when I did it I could actually have made a profit on scrapping it and torp corvettes are great anyway.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

The dreadnought is permanently stationed as a defensive unit for me. It’s far too slow to use offensively.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Improbable Lobster posted:

They'd be fine if they're an option in the ship designer rather than something assigned like attachments.

Now that would be a nice place for army attachments: An army designer! (We really need that one, I can't just play machine empires forever, as funny as dropping mech and titan divisions everywhere is, when you don't have titans, attachments are a real dumb chore.)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I wish you could disassemble things like the Dreadnought or those shipyard ships to gain new technology.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
Well poo poo then, maybe I should have gotten executive Vigor first instead of Tech Ascendancy... eh. Too late now.

So since holding my second perk for Voidborne doesn't sound like a great idea at 2250, should I pick up Executive Vigor or Mastery of Nature? I'm thinking the former, though the latter is tempting since I am sorta stuck with the 4 planets I have for the time being. Would otherwise need some hefty Terraforming investment or a significant expansion out to the next planets. Or a war. Could war over some planets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Executive Vigor is stupid good.