Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Klyith posted:

IIRC the first time I got it off I had to put my knee on the top of the case to kinda brace it, but after that it goes easier.

Thanks for the tip. I'm switching out a cooler in a week or two and going to give it a thorough clean, so that will definitely help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

Klyith posted:

OK, I don't have one and have only seen a regular Define in person. But it looks in all the pics like the clips that hold it on are plastic, so even if they're not as stiff and difficult as the 400Q's, that is still liable to break after repeated stress.

While they are plastic they are also well designed. I've removed the front of my case maybe a dozen times and they are all still as tight as the day I bought it.

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Is it likely that pinnacle will oc to 4.5 or that's just a wet dream and 4.3 is more realistic?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Expect 4.3, be pleasantly surprised with 4.5.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

R7 2700X spotted at 4.2GHz boost:

https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-8-core-16-thread-cpu-leak/

200/400MHz gains on a slight node update (14nm+ to 12nm) I'll take all day.

Looking forward to the 4700/4800X I'll throw in my setup for a while.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Give me a Threadripper+, plz!

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Any guesses for when AMD will move to AM5? Just wondering what the lifespan of a motherboard would be if I'd upgrade in another two or three years from Zen+.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

No mention of it yet, AM4 support to 2020, though.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

ufarn posted:

Any guesses for when AMD will move to AM5?

I think they officially said until 2020. However, talk is cheap.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Until DDR5 basically. DDR5 will need more pins

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

DDR5 and PCIe 4.0 at the consumer level is expected in 2020. That’s also the timeframe that 7nm EUV should be showing up if there aren’t delays (there will be delays). If I had to guess, that seems the logical time for a whole platform overhaul.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Cygni posted:

DDR5 and PCIe 4.0 at the consumer level is expected in 2020. That’s also the timeframe that 7nm EUV should be showing up if there aren’t delays (there will be delays). If I had to guess, that seems the logical time for a whole platfrom overhaul.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Cygni posted:

DDR5 and PCIe 4.0 at the consumer level is expected in 2020. That’s also the timeframe that 7nm EUV should be showing up if there aren’t delays (there will be delays). If I had to guess, that seems the logical time for a whole platform overhaul.

EUV is still having problems, it seems even when the setup is 'perfect' defects still occur. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/random-errors-throw-up-more-hurdles-in-the-move-to-extreme-uv-chip-fabricating/

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

EoRaptor posted:

EUV is still having problems, it seems even when the setup is 'perfect' defects still occur. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/02/random-errors-throw-up-more-hurdles-in-the-move-to-extreme-uv-chip-fabricating/

I think even with current yeilds as terrible as they are, GloFo wiht super tiny chips can still make a profit thanks to amd's infinity fabric.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
AM4 is good for probably till the 4000 series CPUs, or 2nd Gen 7nm, as they're more likely to due a respin than to move to a new design on 7nm EUV. Whether that is in 2020 or 2021 remains to be seen, but AM4 is going to be golden for awhile yet.

Honestly, what could they add in a 500/600 series chipset that would matter for the average user compared to the 300/400 series?

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Integrated high quality WiFi would probably be the biggest thing they could do which really isn't a big deal but it is nice.

Thunderbolt 3 would be kinda cool in theory but it still doesn't seem to be taking off so I don't see why they'd bother. I'd rather have 10Gbe NIC's be made common place by putting it in the chipset TBH.

Really there isn't much reason for anything all that exciting to be going on with the modern x86 chipsets these days now that the iGPU, most of the PCIe lanes, and/or memory controller are typically on die with the CPU.

edit: given how frequently Realtek is used instead of Intel for the integrated NIC I think that is a pretty decent reason alone right there for me to want AMD to do something like that.\/\/\/\/\/\/

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Mar 3, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Really, you're going to make AMD come up with their own GbE solution to embed into the controller? I'd much rather they just keep doing what they're doing and stick a PCIe lane or two out and let people decide if they want Intel or Realtek.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I don't trust AMD enough to use their networking controllers if they ever implement one.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Aren't AMD chipsets mostly just a mashup of licensed ASMedia IP cores now? If they integrated 10GBe I imagine they would continue that trend and just license some existing controller.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
The Ryzen Embedded SoCs have 10Gb Ethernet built-in so AMD can definitely do it

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

It's interesting 10GbE keeps showing up everywhere on boards and chipsets. Doesn't look like router manufacturers are playing ball yet, so you need external switches, which are also so-so in price. I guess for a direct line to a NAS then.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

10gbe in the home? Eh.

10GbE on all your business laptops? Holy poo poo I'd love to image nvme, 10GbE, eight-core systems in five minutes.

Ticket comes in -> start a reimage task sequence -> it's done by the time T1 support shows up

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Super high bandwidth to the NAS is nice, especially when it's backed with decent read and write-back caching and sufficient disks. Quick copying of large files, and running Steam and poo poo like that on an iSCSI partition on your NAS.

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
Do these new 10GbE devices also support that new 2.5/5 Gbps standard?

For most home users, that's probably the big selling point. Those standards are pretty much just "10GbE downclocked so the signal will transmit fine on cat 5e cable"

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

crazypenguin posted:

Do these new 10GbE devices also support that new 2.5/5 Gbps standard?

For most home users, that's probably the big selling point. Those standards are pretty much just "10GbE downclocked so the signal will transmit fine on cat 5e cable"

That really is a bigger selling point to me. 5Gbit really does work over Cat5e up to reasonable lengths.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Combat Pretzel posted:

Super high bandwidth to the NAS is nice, especially when it's backed with decent read and write-back caching and sufficient disks. Quick copying of large files, and running Steam and poo poo like that on an iSCSI partition on your NAS.

There's a market for home 10g, sure, but it will be business laptops and turnkey appliances that'll bring that poo poo on die for everyone

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I thought 10GbE over RJ45 is supposed to work over Cat5e, so long the cable run is under a certain distance? What was it, 20m or 16m?

--edit: Cat6 seems to be 55m unbundled and 35m when bundled.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

5e is a 350MHz medium, so I'm not sure any distance at 500MHz is wise.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Cat6 is like the same price as 5e now, but if you already wired up your whole home/work and are looking at having to rip it all out, that prolly isnt much comfort.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
I am planing on rewiring my house soon-ish and doing cat6a along with all the new electrical wiring. Because STP cat6a seems awesome with 10GBE around the corner.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Just make sure your installers do a good job on keystone termination. And on the drain install. My installers messed up both (apparently they'd never dealt with CAT6a or any shielded stuff before?!) so I had to go and redo all of mine. Was very time consuming at first but after the first 5-6 it got fairly easy. Works great now.

These things came in drat handy for the longer wires that weren't trimmed right and were touching the metal casing of the keystones.

repiv posted:

Aren't AMD chipsets mostly just a mashup of licensed ASMedia IP cores now?
There were rumors of that but supposedly some AMD exec said they were false late last year.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
So for anyone that might be interested, I've got KVM running on my ThreadRipper successfully passing through a GTX660 to a Windows host. Yay.

As an added bonus, I got Looking Glass also running, which is really sweet.

See: https://looking-glass.hostfission.com/

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Just make sure your installers do a good job on keystone termination. And on the drain install. My installers messed up both (apparently they'd never dealt with CAT6a or any shielded stuff before?!) so I had to go and redo all of mine. Was very time consuming at first but after the first 5-6 it got fairly easy. Works great now.

CAT6a comes in unshielded as well as outer shielded and individual pairs shielded.

MOST people's home use should be fine with Cat6a unshielded, but I guess you can never go wrong with future proofing a little.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Lowen SoDium posted:

individual pairs shielded

Oof that must suck to deal with

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Ah didn't know that. I thought CAT6a had to be shielded by default.

Reading this it seems like the unshielded CAT6a might not be bad so long as you leave some room between the cables and have no sources of EMI nearby. I don't think this would've worked for me still since I did 24 drops for my house and some spots had 4 or more drops ran to them (ie. living room and office). Good to know though.

Munkeymon posted:

Oof that must suck to deal with
No it wasn't hard. At least with the keystones I used. Some might close and lock up in a different way and contact the shielding differently which can effect difficulty though.

The cable I used had wire mesh shielding surrounding all the twisted pairs with each pair individually wrapped in foil too so maybe that effected things as well. The keystones were a clamshell type and came with a copper sheet to wrap around the cut back shielding, holding together, while still allowing it to contact the metal shell of the keystone and go to drain. They locked together with a built in friction clip. For the time they were fairly expensive, I remember paying around $14 a keystone. Googling real quick shows similar ones going for around $6 a pop now. YMMV

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Mar 5, 2018

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

HP accidentally ("accidentally") listed a whole mess of Ryzen+Vega laptops on their warranty page:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-vega-laptops-hp-elitebook,36613.html

68 configurations total of different Elitebook models. Hopefully they're good.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Like the previous AMD elitebooks, the 16GB configurations are pretty much ensured to be dual channel, there's some 8GB SKUs that that are 1x8 instead of 2x4.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
R7 2700X: 8C/16T, 3.7GHz base, 4.2GHz turbo.

https://videocardz.com/75159/amd-ryzen-7-2700x-spotted-with-clocks-up-to-4200-mhz

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I think it's old news that AMD is seriously binning the 8C/16T stuff... still weird to me that the 8/16 is at a higher clock than the 6/12. I guess Intel is doing the same thing right now. I feel like historically there would be a lower core count, higher clock-speed sort of trade-off. Maybe I'm imagining it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Jago posted:

I think it's old news that AMD is seriously binning the 8C/16T stuff... still weird to me that the 8/16 is at a higher clock than the 6/12. I guess Intel is doing the same thing right now. I feel like historically there would be a lower core count, higher clock-speed sort of trade-off. Maybe I'm imagining it.

AMD did it with Threadripper too - higher core count, higher clocks, the best dies...