Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Choco1980 posted:

Lolilove. I haven't seen it, but I know of it as it's a Troma distributed movie. I strongly suspect Gunn took it to them first because of his strong history with them. (fun fact: Like, 90% of their movies, they just distribute, not make themselves, but people assume they make all of them)

That's an interesting name right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

That's an interesting name right there

It's actually Lolli not Loli thankfully.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
A used copy of LolliLove was at the video store I worked for for a long time but no one ever bought it as far as I know. I have no doubt that Jenna Fischer is levels above Krasinski though.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
John Krasinski being married to Emily Blunt always blows my mind.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gaunab posted:

Her sister is married to Stanley Tucci so that makes him and Krasinski in-laws. So there’s that one too.

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Finally, somebody else who saw this movie! For those who have not seen it, go get a copy right now!

Saw it? I still have the soundtrack on CD in my garage!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yeah...Rory is at worst trashy for sleeping with a married guy. How dare she have sex with more than one person?!

The wookie cosplayer was her only one night stand iirc

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Trap sprung!

Anyway, I only would say that to annoy her. It was more of an inside joke.

(Plus, everyone knows Miss Patty was the town bicycle)

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

MrUnderbridge posted:

Trap sprung!

Anyway, I only would say that to annoy her. It was more of an inside joke.

(Plus, everyone knows Miss Patty was the town bicycle)

Don't know what inside jokes you have with your wife. :shrug:

Has anyone talked about There's Something About Mirriam yet? A Bachelorette esque reality tv show with a trans woman who dates a bunch of dudes who don't know she is trans. In the end the winner has to choose to get a bunch of money and go with her on a private yacht for the night or forfeit it all. The dude took the money while looking super uncomfortable while the rest of the men laughed hysterically. The men all sued and got a huge settlement while Mirriam got jack poo poo.
I remember watching it with my mom who was kind of a homophobe back in the day but she was really angry about the treatment of Mirriam. She thought she was so sweet and beautiful and thought that she was way out of their league so they should have been honored to date her. Now when I think about it my mom has always been really respectful about pronouns and got really angry at the treatment of transwomen on tv. :unsmith:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
There was a period of time...maybe 2000 through 2005 or so, when reality shows were just mean. Now it's all scripted, but initially the appeal of reality shows was that you didn't need expensive writers so instead it was all torturing people for fun.

The Miriam show would fall into that as would Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire, Season 1 and 2 of Survivor, that Japanese kidnapping show, and Joe Millionaire. I remember Ted Nugent had a reality show on VH1 where contestants had to get stupid poo poo tattooed on their body. There was a mean streak in these early reality shows as they tried to pushing the envelope that's since evolved into talent contests and housewives bitching about other housewives. There are still terrible shows that prey directly on contestants like the Bachelor, but those are all legacies.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Yeah, despite all her faults, I gotta give credit to my mom for similar reasons. When I was a kid she sat me down and we talked about being gay or transgender (and this was in the 90s!) and told me, "I love you and want you to be yourself and be happy, so if you ever realize anything like this about you, you can tell me and I'll support you"

Also I talked about this in other threads but my grandmother was pretty anti gay marriage until Will and Grace and Queer Eye. Just exposing people to things outside their norm can help a lot. That big change helped both me and my cousin come out as bi when we were teens. Another reason that representation is important.

It's weird, I hear people get more conservative as they get older but my grandmother has gotten way more leftist over the years.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Even as a young teen I thought the guys on Miriam were dumb. Mate, if I was paid to spend time on a yacht I'd jump at the chance, even if she turned out to be Jason loving Voorhees.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I Want to Marry Harry is probably the greatest reality TV show. They 'convinced' a bunch of American women that they were vying for a date with Prince Harry, but it was the world's worst lookalike, and there's no way any of them really believed it.

I also remember a reality show on British TV where they tricked a bunch of people into believing they'd gone into space. I think it started to fall apart when they could hear the crew whispering outside the simulator.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

^^ They really made a reality show off of J.G. Ballard's Thirteen to Centaurus? Now that is hilarious.

Koalas March posted:

It's weird, I hear people get more conservative as they get older but my grandmother has gotten way more leftist over the years.

I always thought that was just a cheap joke on behalf of the right-wing to further the 'responsibility is a right-wing virtue unlike those filthy hippies' narrative, honestly.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Megan Wants a Millionaire is another horrible one but in a legit scary way. One contestant later killed and cut up his wife.
And one of the dudes on Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire had beaten his ex girlfriend.
For how horrible The Bachelor is their vetting of candidates seems to be a tad better. They are also the only reality show I know of that test their candidates for Herpes.

All of the women on I Want to Marry Harry have later said that none of them actually thought that he was the actual Prince Harry.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

As someone who worked on a reality show, many of the subjects aren't as dumb as you think they are, but often they're also being manipulated by producers (my job, yikes) and creative editing.

If you're interested in the production of reality TV, watch UnREAL! It's a great show and wildly accurate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was a guy who was on one of the Real Worlds and he said one of the big things they did was make sure that everybody kept the same look throughout a season (so no new tattoos or haircuts) because then they could take video from anywhere in the season to create their stories. The example the person gave was that they broke up and the show was edited to make it seem like he went out that night to jump back into the scene when actually it took place weeks later.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

There was a guy who was on one of the Real Worlds and he said one of the big things they did was make sure that everybody kept the same look throughout a season (so no new tattoos or haircuts) because then they could take video from anywhere in the season to create their stories. The example the person gave was that they broke up and the show was edited to make it seem like he went out that night to jump back into the scene when actually it took place weeks later.

Yeah. Our main "character" set up a date with a guy on Tindr and she gave him a release (which he signed!) but he flipped out when he got back to her house and we had our equipment set up. (Even though we filmed their date from a distance!)

Unbeknownst to him, me and my boss were rolling the entire time (with audio!) and when we edited it, we added more bass to his voice to make him seem more threatening and inject some extra drama (He even asked "What did I sign?") if I can find the sizzle reel I might post it because it was great.

I know it's unethical as gently caress but getting everyone drunk and pushing them to open up about poo poo on camera was fun as hell and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Probably the worst of the "mean reality " shows was Fear Factor. Started off as people facing legitimate fears: heights, confinement, etc. and degenerated into season after season of a grown-up version of "Timmy will eat this bug if you give him a nickel" Just how gross a thing will you do for money?

The reality shows I like best are the skill based ones, like FaceOff. None of the contestants have been total assholes out to win by any means possible, they often take time to help others in trouble. Are the winners based entirely on skill? Doubt it, but skill is apparently given more weight than other shows. Don't think I've seen any eps where it's a case of "what? That slapped together crap won?" I might disagree which of the finalists won that ep, but it's usually a taste thing.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Koalas March posted:

As someone who worked on a reality show, many of the subjects aren't as dumb as you think they are, but often they're also being manipulated by producers (my job, yikes) and creative editing.

If you're interested in the production of reality TV, watch UnREAL! It's a great show and wildly accurate.

I hope you have considered posting an A/T thread, because I am morbidly curious.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Probably the worst of the "mean reality " shows was Fear Factor. Started off as people facing legitimate fears: heights, confinement, etc. and degenerated into season after season of a grown-up version of "Timmy will eat this bug if you give him a nickel" Just how gross a thing will you do for money?

The reality shows I like best are the skill based ones, like FaceOff. None of the contestants have been total assholes out to win by any means possible, they often take time to help others in trouble. Are the winners based entirely on skill? Doubt it, but skill is apparently given more weight than other shows. Don't think I've seen any eps where it's a case of "what? That slapped together crap won?" I might disagree which of the finalists won that ep, but it's usually a taste thing.

Yeah, it also got more and more "reality showy" in that they had more and more of this stupid connective tissue of the players whining about each other between challenges.

I also loved how once in a while the "icky food" bit was just eating the most mundane foods. "Oh, no, you must eat.... pork liver!!!!!!!!" :gonk:

I think once they had a vegetarian contestant. Who obviously got disqualified on the "eat live bugs" segment. :psyduck:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SEX BURRITO posted:

I also remember a reality show on British TV where they tricked a bunch of people into believing they'd gone into space. I think it started to fall apart when they could hear the crew whispering outside the simulator.
Space Cadets. Hosted and written by Johnny Vaughn, so it never had a chance of being good.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
One of the reasons I love Great British Baking Show, is that everyone is just so nice to each other. Even Paul Hollywood, who is ostensibly the "bad cop" of the judges would be the good cop anywhere else.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I read somewhere that sometimes a contestant will screw up their baking and seriously start crying. So the hosts will run up next to them and start swearing so that they can't use the video footage. I'm sure the producers hate that.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

MrUnderbridge posted:

On my favorite parts of Survivor was their eating competitions, but they stopped doing them after the first 5 or so years. I don't know if lawyers got after the producers realized they couldn't keep topping each season without someone dying.

It's weird how quickly lawyers end these things. To Catch a Predator ended after one of the guys committed suicide. I don't know if The Real Housewives changed after a husband killed himself, but it seems like it's more manufactured drama than before. And no, I don't 'watch' Real Housewives of [insert city], but my wife does so the crap sinks into my brain via osmosis. I'll readily admit the terrible crap I watch such as Predator.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The only good 2000s reality show was Tool Academy, which was one of the most obviously scripted and acted ever.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

On my favorite parts of Survivor was their eating competitions, but they stopped doing them after the first 5 or so years. I don't know if lawyers got after the producers realized they couldn't keep topping each season without someone dying.

It's weird how quickly lawyers end these things. To Catch a Predator ended after one of the guys committed suicide. I don't know if The Real Housewives changed after a husband killed himself, but it seems like it's more manufactured drama than before. And no, I don't 'watch' Real Housewives of [insert city], but my wife does so the crap sinks into my brain via osmosis. I'll readily admit the terrible crap I watch such as Predator.

Reality TV ultimately isn't and it has problems for exactly the reason of "topping this every year will eventually kill somebody." The drama is pretty much always manufactured and everything is heavily edited. The audio doesn't always match what's actually going on; there's a particular kind of cut where you'll see the back of a person's head and they'll be saying something other than what they actually said at that moment. Those kinds of things and clever splicing of audio will create moments that never happened or pump up the drama to absurd levels that never happen anywhere. Plus they'll condense multiple days or a week of something into half an hour or an hour. So they just pick the highest drama moments, put those on TV, and cut out all the mundane stuff. That or they'll deliberately create drama. I remember back in the days when The Real World was a big thing it was blatantly obvious they picked a bunch of people they knew weren't going to get along well.

In the case of Predator that show got into some really questionable legal territory in a lot of ways.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
As far as reality/game show hybrids go, The Mole was fantastic. I loved how paranoid people got about the fact one of their teammates was trying to screw the team over, and season 1 was hosted by Anderson Cooper. Show ruled.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

As far as reality/game show hybrids go, The Mole was fantastic. I loved how paranoid people got about the fact one of their teammates was trying to screw the team over, and season 1 was hosted by Anderson Cooper. Show ruled.

The Mole did indeed rule.

I've watched survivor since the beginning. It's pretty meta now but still entertaining in a guilty pleasure sort if way.

They still do food challenges on The Amazing Race, and it seems mostly genuine, actual challenges-wise.

As far as shoes getting into shady ethical situations, I wonder if they'll ever make another season of Kid Nation.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

ToxicSlurpee posted:

In the case of Predator that show got into some really questionable legal territory in a lot of ways.

MSNBC had a aftershow for To Catch a Predator that talked about what happened later. The number of actual convictions were ridiculously low - like single digits.

Some of the guys you could tell were out of their element, even though any grown man trying to seduce a child doesn't deserve anyone's pity - you could tell this wasn't something they did on a regular basis. But they had one guy who was in full-on predator mode. Like he wouldn't even come inside the house. Just kept trying to convince the girl to come out to his car. Incredibly creepy with no doubt to his intent and yet the charges were dismissed.

Despite the lack of convictions, I doubt things were alright with these guys and their families afterwards.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Krispy Wafer posted:

MSNBC had a aftershow for To Catch a Predator that talked about what happened later. The number of actual convictions were ridiculously low - like single digits.

Some of the guys you could tell were out of their element, even though any grown man trying to seduce a child doesn't deserve anyone's pity - you could tell this wasn't something they did on a regular basis. But they had one guy who was in full-on predator mode. Like he wouldn't even come inside the house. Just kept trying to convince the girl to come out to his car. Incredibly creepy with no doubt to his intent and yet the charges were dismissed.

Despite the lack of convictions, I doubt things were alright with these guys and their families afterwards.

Yeah I remember that being one of the biggest criticisms there. Publicly humiliating somebody like that on public television before a trial was even scheduled is just not OK. Due process exists even for the worst monsters. I think I watched one episode ever but still...it was just not a comfortable thing to see.

There were also arguments that they were sometimes entrapping people or getting very, very close but as they weren't actual law enforcement people that rule didn't quite apply. In any event I for one am not comfortable shattering somebody's life that way without proper due process. That show was a mess on so many levels. I think the "this is borderline entrapment" argument was one of the reason that the charges often got dropped.

ToxicSlurpee has a new favorite as of 18:55 on Mar 3, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This is something I like about Hells Kitchen now that I'm watching it finally - Gordon Ramsay notices when drama is happening and often attempts to call them out on it without embarrassing the victim further, like when one person in season 1 who had been acing challenges left and right making the others really jealous of her was deliberately conspired against as the rest of the team refused to acknowledge her when she got on the garnish station, meaning she had no idea what she was supposed to be doing due to lack of communication. As she was about to be voted out, Gordon asked her a second question before the usual one (which is always "Why should you stay?") - the question was "Do you feel you had adequate support from the rest of your team?" He gave her two chances to rat out her fellow contestants, but when she decided to lie for them, he went straight to the usual question and she was dismissed.

There was also one in season 3/4 which a line cook at a waffle house who was almost voted out simply due to the other chefs being snobs. She brought up that she was being nominated specifically due to her background and not her skill, and Gordon agreed with her and spared her, overruling the choice and ordering the actual weakest team member forward.

TLDR: Ramsay's a nice guy who tries to avoid buillshit in his shows. :)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Gaunab posted:

Why?

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

BioEnchanted posted:

TLDR: Ramsay's a nice guy who tries to avoid buillshit in his shows. :)

We watched about 8 or 9 seasons of HK before burning out and this is the opposite of how we felt.

Show is unwatchable censored or sober IMO.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

ToyotaThong posted:

Saw it? I still have the soundtrack on CD in my garage!

Can’t get enough of that booty juice.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I hope you have considered posting an A/T thread, because I am morbidly curious.

I'd be totally down for this if enough people were interested. Also you can pm me anytime if you want to know anything specific. :)

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Koalas March posted:

I'd be totally down for this if enough people were interested. Also you can pm me anytime if you want to know anything specific. :)

I wouldn't know what to ask without a lot of context, so I'll just wait for the thread. :v:

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

Sunswipe posted:

Space Cadets. Hosted and written by Johnny Vaughn, so it never had a chance of being good.

That’s the one! I remember it being quite entertaining because it was so stupid. A lot of their ‘training’ was done by terrible Russian stereotypes, and they explained the lack of weightlessness by saying they were still close to earth. It was a really elaborate hoax.

Henchman of Santa posted:

The only good 2000s reality show was Tool Academy, which was one of the most obviously scripted and acted ever.

Wow I had forgotten this show. It was so dumb it was totally addictive. I loved how the guys would act like they’d been reformed, but were such assholes that it’d always slip through. There were only a couple who genuinely seemed to change their ways.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Mu Zeta posted:

I read somewhere that sometimes a contestant will screw up their baking and seriously start crying. So the hosts will run up next to them and start swearing so that they can't use the video footage. I'm sure the producers hate that.

Swearing and using brand names. That was Mel and Sue when The Great British Bake-Off was still on the BBC, and the BBC has really strict rules about using brand names (As I think do many channels, but the Beeb being publicly funded is very strict about it in general). I presume after a while, with the show being a runaway hit, the producers (hopefully) realised that part of why people liked the show was that it was generally, well... nice. Its on Channel 4 now with different presenters, I dont know if Noel and Sandi do the same thing.

big cummers ONLY posted:

We watched about 8 or 9 seasons of HK before burning out and this is the opposite of how we felt.

Show is unwatchable censored or sober IMO.

Honestly I cant watch the US versions of any of his shows. They are so obviously scripted/manipulated that (particularly Kitchen Nightmares) that they quickly become formulaic. 90% of episodes of kitchen nightmares are functionally identical.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

SEX BURRITO posted:

That’s the one! I remember it being quite entertaining because it was so stupid. A lot of their ‘training’ was done by terrible Russian stereotypes, and they explained the lack of weightlessness by saying they were still close to earth. It was a really elaborate hoax.

Wow I had forgotten this show. It was so dumb it was totally addictive. I loved how the guys would act like they’d been reformed, but were such assholes that it’d always slip through. There were only a couple who genuinely seemed to change their ways.

The best part was when someone got eliminated, the host would say “Sorry, Chad. You’re just a tool.”

The second best was when the head of the charm school would “observe” their competitions and take notes but really they just digitally superimposed footage on her television.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Because I best know Krasinski from being in a network comedy and would never have expected him to be married Emily Blunt. Good for them though.