Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

at the same time, people who fixate extremely hard on their existence instead of just going "eh, kids are dumbasses, whatever" tend to have pretty poo poo worldviews themselves

This.

Leave the "woker-than-thou" idiots alone, they'll tear each other apart anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lelandjs posted:

This.

Leave the "woker-than-thou" idiots alone, they'll tear each other apart anyway.

I agree, also, this is a good end point for this discussion before it potentially spirals out of control

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

swickles posted:

The best late night host is Conan when he has Norm as his guest. If its anyone else he is still ok, but drat if Norm doesn't put out his best stuff with Conan.

new contender

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m taking an ethics class and clearly now is the time to start watching The Good Place because it is the only show that will provide a corollary to my class discussion about Utilitarianism and also hilarious jokes about the state of Florida.

I’m gonna tell my ethics professor and make my entire class watch it because it’s perfect.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m taking an ethics class and clearly now is the time to start watching The Good Place because it is the only show that will provide a corollary to my class discussion about Utilitarianism and also hilarious jokes about the state of Florida.

I’m gonna tell my ethics professor and make my entire class watch it because it’s perfect.

They teach ethics in Florida?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rocksicles posted:

They teach ethics in Florida?

no and that fact being a major part of the plot of this show is great.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Just yell "Bortles" at your professor.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Hey, that Good Girls pilot was p good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

at the same time, people who fixate extremely hard on their existence instead of just going "eh, kids are dumbasses, whatever" tend to have pretty poo poo worldviews themselves

yeah, it's really only a problem when those "kids" are thirty plus

everyone is an idiot at 19. literally everyone.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

well, the villains' costuming kind of codes them as "tumblr kids" which has certain connotations even if the show doesn't follow through with them and goes in a different direction

I don't really agree that the Heathers are the villains of the piece. The Heathers are bullies, sure, but they're not psychopaths, serial killers or attempted mass murderers. That's JD.

The Heathers pilot was directed by a queer woman, and the show's writer's room is apparently staffed by mostly queer people. I feel like they're unlikely to be targeting minorities given that that's who they are themselves.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It is 0 surprising to me that a Heathers tv show is mostly staffed by fellow 'mos.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Blindspot's ideas about Darknet parties is probably little ambitious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
man, I thought Baskets got off to a slow start this year but the last 3 episodes have been superb

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Looming Tower seems pretty okay so far, anyone else watching it?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like it. Too much of the extra marital stuff though. And sometimes the agency drama feels like it's from Homeland.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't really agree that the Heathers are the villains of the piece. The Heathers are bullies, sure, but they're not psychopaths, serial killers or attempted mass murderers. That's JD.

I think the problem is that it's still acting like the gays and trans kids are the "cool" group now when really, they're still most often the ones bullied. It's buying into the logic that things went topsy turvy and the oppressed are now the oppressors, when in fact the old status quo still persists. That's the right wing fantasy, and I don't think emphasizing that JD is really a bad guy (as he was in the original) changes that.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Maxwell Lord posted:

I think the problem is that it's still acting like the gays and trans kids are the "cool" group now when really, they're still most often the ones bullied. It's buying into the logic that things went topsy turvy and the oppressed are now the oppressors, when in fact the old status quo still persists. That's the right wing fantasy, and I don't think emphasizing that JD is really a bad guy (as he was in the original) changes that.

Mansplaining to a queer womyn tv director about how actually she's the one oppressing gays if you really think about.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'm sorry is the director here

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's Guy Mann, he sucks

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Just to be clear, I think it’s worth considering that the the show (supposedly) has a majority LGBT staff and was directed by a bisexual woman. (And not for nothing, but Leslye Hedland is talented as poo poo. Her movie Sleeping With Other People, with Jason Sudekis and Alison Brie, is on Netflix now, though I freely admit that it might rub some people the wrong way.) Now, that doesn’t preclude them from being trash—Sarah Palin calls herself a feminist, after all—but it should probably be taken into account if you’re going to have a take.

Having said that...that wasn’t mansplaining, Max. Maybe a little short-sighted, but you were voicing a perspective without belittling the talent involved. I doubt you’re losing any sleep over it tonight, but don’t.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Maxwell Lord posted:

fwiw, being the queen bee is 100% a high school power fantasy for plenty of women, gay men and queer folk. Not all of us obvs, but calling it a right wing fantasy is silly to me.

The Heathers show still looks bad. I'll check the pilot out once they figure out when the rest of it is airing.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I got caught up in a random episode of The Good Fight and holy poo poo, this is a good show. So The Good Wife was this good too?

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How many The Good [noun] do we need?

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Croatoan posted:

So I got caught up in a random episode of The Good Fight and holy poo poo, this is a good show. So The Good Wife was this good too?

It got a bit rocky towards the end with the increased focus on Alicia but it was otherwise very consistently strong. Well worth watching if you like legal shows with some soapy drama attached.

Edit: it also had Michael J. Fox in a recurring role as an amazing sleazeball lawyer. Probably worth watching for his guest spots alone.

Tortolia fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Mar 3, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Vegetable posted:

A good amount.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vegetable posted:

As many as will keep The Good Place on the air, because that show makes all the others worth it

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Oh poo poo, Headland did Heathers? I just worked on her new show with Natasha Lyonne last night

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Croatoan posted:

Yes the show was good. The recurring lawyers, and some judges, were great too.

Also it looks like s2 of The Good Fight premieres tomorrow.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yo, Doug Jones fans should watch this 3 minute thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VggEmXPnGw

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
Marathoning BBC history shows. That Lucy Worsley is a cutie. :flashfap:

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Jikes posted:

Marathoning BBC history shows. That Lucy Worsley is a cutie. :flashfap:
I call her “my cwush”. I’m going to hell.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
loving The Wire man...
I watched it when it when it aired (well, I torrented it the day after because there is no HBO in Germany) and ever since I have always put it as my #1 show. I started my first re-watch last week and I was really nervous, I was worried how well it holds up. Well gently caress me, this show is actually even better than I remember it being. Goddamn, this is just perfect television.

Also, watching technology progress through the show is kinda insane. They start out on typewriters, Nikon film cameras and baggy shirts and they ND up with computers, Canon dslrs and Under Armor shirts.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I’m up to episode five of season one of the good fight. I take what I said back. It’s good but it’s just as trashy as suits. So yeah I just wouldn’t brag about watching it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What is trashy about Good Fight?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I just mean that the details of the show aren’t very realistic when you break it down. It was very tight in the first two episodes of the season but when you have lawyers bantering back-and-forth in front of a judge it’s just not that realistic.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Croatoan posted:

I just mean that the details of the show aren’t very realistic when you break it down. It was very tight in the first two episodes of the season but when you have lawyers bantering back-and-forth in front of a judge it’s just not that realistic.

It was never realistic, even in the first 2 seasons of The Good Wife :ssh:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Croatoan posted:

Judge Abernathy poo poo talks the republicans all through his trials. It's fun.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I have access to cable for the first time in years and a new stressful life situation means I have a lot of time to kill with the TV on in the background.

Can anybody recommend me channels that do regular mini-marathons? For example, Syfy has had 6+ episodes of Futurama for the past two nights, Hallmark shows a few hours of Frasier every night. Basically I'm looking for shows I don't have to pay attention to and lots of them. Star Trek, MASH, Seinfeld, The Simpsons, Always Sunny, etc. I'm open to anything, the more lighthearted the better.

If there's a general TVIV recommendation thread, my bad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I feel like Love & Hip-Hop was created with the express purpose of giving Joel McHale something to make fun of if he ever had another show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Speaking of The Joel McHale Show, their pisstake of Black Mirror was spot on :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDde-yts33I