Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, my thought was maybe the receiver is in some sort of Pure or Direct 2-ch mode for that HDMI, so it would only grab the left and right front channels and discard the rest.

Yeah I cycled through the surround options to try force stereo but it didn't seem to make a difference. I should've tried Mono too in case that fixed it, but I can try that one tonight. At first I thought it was just one file that was screwed, but then it happened on a second. I gave up and watched something I knew was in stereo after that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Is a good OLED television an across-the-board upgrade on a good plasma television? I bought this Samsung PN51F5300 a few years ago and I've been mostly happy with it. The picture quality is terrific and there haven't been any technical problems, but I've bought a house since then and I'd like something that has less glare from light and that's larger. So, I'd like to move it into the bedroom where there are fewer light sources and get a new living room TV to replace it.

The OP seems to be saying that OLEDs are better at everything than plasma except display lag, but the post is also more than five years old, so I dunno what's changed since then. Maybe at this point even a good LED is better than a plasma? I dunno if this Sony XBR65X900E would be an upgrade, but I'm guessing that this LG OLED55C7P would be? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

surf rock posted:

Is a good OLED television an across-the-board upgrade on a good plasma television? I bought this Samsung PN51F5300 a few years ago and I've been mostly happy with it. The picture quality is terrific and there haven't been any technical problems, but I've bought a house since then and I'd like something that has less glare from light and that's larger. So, I'd like to move it into the bedroom where there are fewer light sources and get a new living room TV to replace it.

The OP seems to be saying that OLEDs are better at everything than plasma except display lag, but the post is also more than five years old, so I dunno what's changed since then. Maybe at this point even a good LED is better than a plasma? I dunno if this Sony XBR65X900E would be an upgrade, but I'm guessing that this LG OLED55C7P would be? Any advice would be appreciated, thank you.

In terms of PQ

x900 = better
OLED = best

OLED is the natural upgrade from plasma sets. If you have a ton of natural light and glare sources then the LED might suit that room better since it is brighter but the LG OLEDs do handle glare well with the coating on the screen.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

comper posted:

In terms of PQ

x900 = better
OLED = best

OLED is the natural upgrade from plasma sets. If you have a ton of natural light and glare sources then the LED might suit that room better since it is brighter but the LG OLEDs do handle glare well with the coating on the screen.

Oled is plenty bright to overcome natural light unless the sun is literally shining on it which is bad for oled anyway.

surf rock posted:

I upgraded from an F8500 which was the brightest plasma ever made and it still burned my eyeballs the c7 was so bright.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Any OLED supporting HDR is going to have to be able to get several orders of magnitude brighter than a plasma by design.

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Thanks, that's helpful info.

Are there any significant TV innovations coming around the bend or introduced but not popularized yet that are worth waiting for? If so, I could hold off for a year or two. I might do so anyway just in the hopes of getting a TV like the C7 a little cheaper, but I dunno if there's something specific out there that everyone's salivating over.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's micro led, but it has a real density issue right now and likely won't make it until a consumer display door another 5 years if ever.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

surf rock posted:

Thanks, that's helpful info.

Are there any significant TV innovations coming around the bend or introduced but not popularized yet that are worth waiting for? If so, I could hold off for a year or two. I might do so anyway just in the hopes of getting a TV like the C7 a little cheaper, but I dunno if there's something specific out there that everyone's salivating over.

They are supposed to be doing an overhaul of HDMI-CEC stuff but I'm not holding my breath that it'll make HDMI-CEC immensely better. They're supposed to be implementing VRR (probably messed up the initials, AMD freesync like stuff) into the HDMI specification eventually but probably 3+ years until that ends up in TVs.

edit: The LG oled C8 (but not the B8) is supposed to have better image processing technology that should be on par with the sony TVs though I remember reading in this thread several pages ago you'll be sacrificing brightness some to use it.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Do you think OLEDs are ever going to be as cheap as LEDs are now? I mean, I know there was a time when plasmas were just as expensive, but it seems like production costs have always been the problem for OLED, and LG is really the only game in town for manufacturing right now.

OTOH it seems like they’ve really become a lot more mainstream in the last few years in a way they really weren’t the first time around so maybe I just don’t have the right perspective.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

Gin_Rummy posted:

Right, but I’m asking if it will ever go on sale again from the MSRP $1200. I’m not trying to find one for cheaper than they’ve ever been on sale for, just wondering if there is another period where they’ll go on sale again or if I missed the window.

Some places might put their remaining x900e stock on sale when the x900f models hit the shelves, which should happen soon, but I have the impression that the x900e sells fast enough that there may not be a lot of unsold stock sitting around. (besides open box stuff)

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Summer 2015 -> 65" OLED was $7900
August 2016 -> 65" OLED was $3000
Current -> 65" OLED is $2700

I would argue that OLED has already as cheap or cheaper than LCDs of similar image quality

65" Sony Z9D -> $3500
65" Samsung QN65 - > $3000

Here's the thing though, in the past year or so there have been AMAZING strides at the low end which has the effect of making it seem like high end pricing is stagnant. It really hasn't been though.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
The real lesson is that I clearly wasn’t paying attention in 2015.

Thesis refuted, Jesus Christ.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
This is my monthly "gently caress you" to OLED owners. Went by Best Buy yesterday for an emergency cable need and even in Best Buy's lovely environment they still are just mind blowing gorgeous.

Unfortunately with a three year old in the house, if I spent that much on a TV right now my wife would kill me. One day OLED. One day.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I'm really enjoying my OLED at the moment.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Number_6 posted:

Some places might put their remaining x900e stock on sale when the x900f models hit the shelves, which should happen soon, but I have the impression that the x900e sells fast enough that there may not be a lot of unsold stock sitting around. (besides open box stuff)

So essentially, I should start keeping my eyes peeled within the next two or three weeks? I guess I could even buy one this weekend and use a Citi card to price match if anything changes within 30 days.

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Mar 2, 2018

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Here is a good read on the near-ish future of display technology based around quantum dots. One of the interesting ideas is moving the color filter infront of the LCD panel to give better viewing angles. https://www.spectrum.ieee.org/consumer-electronics/audiovideo/your-guide-to-televisions-quantumdot-future

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, if I were to pick the biggest issue I have with LCDs, it's the viewing angle.

I mean, I'm a sucker for absolute black levels, but a reality good LCD does really well with local dimming for most environments to the point where most people aren't going to notice that much of a difference in an average lit room.

I have a long narrow living room and my seating is opposite the tv across the short width. So viewing angle is really important to me.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much
Since MY OLED purchase recently, I've been debating on buying a UHD player. Leaning towards the xbox one s for bonus couch gaming. lovely that it can't do dolby vision but seems like that's rare anyway.

Bad time to purchase a player in general?

homeless fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 3, 2018

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

homeless posted:

Since MY OLED purchase recently, I've been debating on whether to buy a UHD player. Leaning towards the xbox one s for bonus couch gaming. lovely that it can't do dolby vision but seems like that's rare anyway.

Bad time to purchase a player in general?

So retro

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Due to the gradually declining prices on OLED, I'm almost ready to bite that bullet, but I'm still concerned with some of the uniformity problems owners are reporting, such as vertical banding in near-black scenes, and some yellow or purple tinting on whites. I'm practically OCD about any kind of picture or color uniformity issue.

OTOH I also keep thinking about higher-end LCDs but the viewing angle issue is my problem there. I'm kinda hoping LG's new 2018 LCD models which combine FALD and IPS come up with some workable combination of viewing angle and decent contrast. And I have a feeling LG is going to price those pretty close to low-end OLED anyway. (LG probably doesn't want it's LCD line to compete with it's own prestige product line ...)

Can't some billionare buy whatever is left of Panasonic or Pioneer's plasma tech and make plasmas again...I really don't give a poo poo about power consumption, screen thickness, or weight...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Uniformity issues with lcds are far worse than near black with OLED.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

quote:

such as vertical banding in near-black scenes

I've only ever observed this on mostly grey screens, like a transition load for a video game. I can't say it's ever really bothered me in a movie or etc. I'm sure there are some edge cases where you can see the banding but for the most part I doubt it'll be a problem.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Plasma people are hosed up in the brain. This is the only reasonable explanation.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Cobalt Viper posted:

Plasma people are hosed up in the brain. This is the only reasonable explanation.

You may pry my 2010 Panasonic plasma out of my cold dead hands, sir.

I will probs go OLED if it ever dies, but most of my friends have been through 2-3 televisions since I got this Panny and it’s still going strong.
My worry with OLED is the TV is on here 12+ hours a day, and burn in would be a problem. Strangely our plasma has no burn in we can see.

I would buy another new plasma if I could.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

IF you are used to taking care of a plasma you can take care of an oled.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

IF you are used to taking care of a plasma you can take care of an oled.

“Taking care of”?

We use it. All the time. That’s all.

homeless
Jan 2, 2005
not so much

I've got new releases in mind. Better off renting from Vudu than using physical media?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Ultimate Mango posted:

“Taking care of”?

We use it. All the time. That’s all.

Yeah I have a fabulous 2008 Samsung Plasma. Never had to take care of it really... Just use it. It's still amazing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
MassDrop is discounting the Sony A1E OLEDs - don't get too excited, the 55" is $2100, the 65" is $2900, and the 77" a blistering ten loving grand: https://www.techbargains.com/deal/448729/sony-xbr-55a1e

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I have a Panasonic plasma that looks great and I think you'd have to be nuts to think an OLED doesn't look better. They have very similar strengths and everything good about plasma is better on OLED. I hope more emissive display technologies become mainstream and something without a downside comes at a reasonable price.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is OLED aging based on time or use?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone with a KS8000 have their Amazon stutter? I don't know if that's the best way to describe it. It kind stops and goes, or skips a frame here and there. Only Amazon video.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is OLED aging based on time or use?

Time.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

fruit on the bottom posted:

Do you think OLEDs are ever going to be as cheap as LEDs are now? I mean, I know there was a time when plasmas were just as expensive, but it seems like production costs have always been the problem for OLED, and LG is really the only game in town for manufacturing right now.

OTOH it seems like they’ve really become a lot more mainstream in the last few years in a way they really weren’t the first time around so maybe I just don’t have the right perspective.

From what I heard LG is aggressively expanding their OLED production, but OTOH the China-based LCD panel makers are crazily ramping up production for 65"+ panels this year.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

FogHelmut posted:

Anyone with a KS8000 have their Amazon stutter? I don't know if that's the best way to describe it. It kind stops and goes, or skips a frame here and there. Only Amazon video.

Yes. This is part of what led me to get a Roku. Amazon is the worst about fixing their apps.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Are there any X900E or Vizio-P quality TVs around 43"? Planning to connect PC to it for media but won't be gaming on it much. Movies/Netflix/YT usage. native 120hz a big plus

I should probably just buy one of the 50" ones but wanting to save a few hundred

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Lube banjo posted:

Are there any X900E or Vizio-P quality TVs around 43"? Planning to connect PC to it for media but won't be gaming on it much. Movies/Netflix/YT usage. native 120hz a big plus

I should probably just buy one of the 50" ones but wanting to save a few hundred

Smallest X900E SKU is 49".

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Looks like the 65” X900E just got marked down to $1499 at my local Best Buy. Time to pull that trigger and spend $1k more than originally planned. :reluctantsadsmugface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Gin_Rummy posted:

Looks like the 65” X900E just got marked down to $1499 at my local Best Buy. Time to pull that trigger and spend $1k more than originally planned. :reluctantsadsmugface:

55" is also down to $999 so I guess both are back to black friday/super bowl prices.

I am suddenly tempted again on that 55". I don't really need a new tv though and don't have any 4k or hdr content to watch and I'd have to wall mount the drat thing or get something to make it sit a few inches higher so I can leave stuff on the buffet table.