Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
This episode was titled Collision Course, and it was worse than the 1989 movie of the same name starring Jay Leno and Pat Morita.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guys i'm having a crisis... i could watch Arrow tonight, or i could stab myself ion the thigh with a fork.

Pros and cons?

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Would you rather have pain in your thigh or your head?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bentacos posted:

Would you rather have pain in your thigh or your head?

Leg, for sure. I can't sleep with a headache.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I enjoyed the 2 teams fighting each other even if every reason for anything happening at any given time was silly.

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
I dunno about you guys, but I was practically on the edge of my seat the entire episode.

I was waiting for Rene to say if this changed anything or not.

But he never did, so I'll never know.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
tbh i've kinda lost the thread on what this season is doing. The midseason break didn't help (gently caress midseason breaks) but I was kinda starting to lose track of the drama and what was happening before that. the whole two teams thing isn't really working for me i guess :shrug:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

ApeHawk posted:

I dunno about you guys, but I was practically on the edge of my seat the entire episode.

Did he even say hoss one time?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ApeHawk posted:

This doesn't Change Anything, Hoss... is the new "You have failed this city."

Also, if I had subtitles on when I watched this, I would have "This doesn't change anything, Hoss." burnt into my plasma screen.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I think the show runners for flash and arrow traded all their writers for a finite number of monkeys on typewriters

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I am torn between hating all the hamfisted motivations for everything this season and enjoying a lot of the stuff they're doing. Like, Dinah gets everything her way and... decides not to kill Laurel because of a quick speech from Curtis about how killing is bad. Too bad none of the other twelve speeches about how killing is bad got through to her, or maybe she wouldn't have caused this whole huge thing where she beats up on Lance and breaks apart the team even further. She also steps on the bug when they figure out that Ollie ditched it, and like, it was their bug, you can reuse those things and I'm pretty sure they aren't cheap to make. So maybe it's just consistent characterization that Dinah's kind of a moron?

But I definitely don't like Lance going off the deep end with Evil Laurel. She's not his loving daughter, and she just yesterday screamed into a guy's ear until his brain melted. She is a Bad Person. Even if he's recovering from another fall off the wagon and depression and whatever, he's a goddamn cop, he's not going to do all this to shelter a sadistic murderer with an enormous body count.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Personally I think what Curtis did to Dig was much worse than Oliver hurting Rene. Rene got hurt in an honest fight that he chose to engage in, while Dig was hurt by Curtis betraying their trust by repurposing a medical implant.

Also the Outsiders seem to be conveniently forgetting that Rene injured both Thea and Felicity, while Dinah beat up Quentin. All three of which were non-combatants in this confrontation.

Frankly this episode has kind of soured me on the Outsiders as characters and I'm not sure if the show will be able to redeem them any time soon.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
Thea's line about un-Laurel being Quentin's daughter "in her father's eyes" was so gross and unearned that I'm just done with all three characters for the rest of their run on this show.

I'm wishing the FBI agent was back because she has turned out to be the most well-written caricature this year.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Personally I think what Curtis did to Dig was much worse than Oliver hurting Rene. Rene got hurt in an honest fight that he chose to engage in, while Dig was hurt by Curtis betraying their trust by repurposing a medical implant.

Also the Outsiders seem to be conveniently forgetting that Rene injured both Thea and Felicity, while Dinah beat up Quentin. All three of which were non-combatants in this confrontation.

Frankly this episode has kind of soured me on the Outsiders as characters and I'm not sure if the show will be able to redeem them any time soon.

Yeah, basically everyone has acted like a dick to eachother in really stupid ways and I really don't know how you can realistically reunite them at this point. I guess you just give the sixteenth speech about how friends are important and they all forgive eachother?

Agreed on Curtis sabotaging Dig's implant, that was a really nasty thing to do to someone. And then you realize his motivation for doing it was because Dinah was really amped up about going to murder this girl which Curtis doesn't really want her to do, and then Curtis ends up talking her out of it at the last second, and just urgh. They're all idiots.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, basically everyone has acted like a dick to eachother in really stupid ways and I really don't know how you can realistically reunite them at this point. I guess you just give the sixteenth speech about how friends are important and they all forgive eachother?

It will turn out Diaz will be such a super duper threat, with his plan to takeover the city by ???, that they have to team up to stop him! :eng99:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Quentin stuff has definitely been super skeevy and it's kind of weird that they're pretending Laurel's mom doesn't exist? They probably don't want to bring her up because the actress isn't available but all Quentin's stuff would feel less gross if he focused less on the "you need a daddy" stuff and more on "you need a family."

Also nothing about the timeline presented in the episode made any sense because when exactly did Laurel go to Corto Malese? She didn't betray Cayden James so it wasn't while he was still around but she was injured in the big battle and was kidnapped by Quentin right after. Once they discovered she was injured and living in a cabin in the woods it really should have come up as a question.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Quentin stuff has definitely been super skeevy and it's kind of weird that they're pretending Laurel's mom doesn't exist? They probably don't want to bring her up because the actress isn't available but all Quentin's stuff would feel less gross if he focused less on the "you need a daddy" stuff and more on "you need a family."

Also nothing about the timeline presented in the episode made any sense because when exactly did Laurel go to Corto Malese? She didn't betray Cayden James so it wasn't while he was still around but she was injured in the big battle and was kidnapped by Quentin right after. Once they discovered she was injured and living in a cabin in the woods it really should have come up as a question.

Quentin stole the money disguised as evil Laurel. :v:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Evil LAW-rull

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also the prime example of how nobody involved with the production of this episode was thinking about anything they were doing is definitely in the scene where the Outsiders walk up to the bug that was planted on Oliver and then thrown out the window when it was discovered and Dinah proceeds to step on it, smashing it. It was a scene designed to look dramatic but makes no sense if you spend a second thinking about it. That was Curtis' bug and he probably would have liked to have it back.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Also the prime example of how nobody involved with the production of this episode was thinking about anything they were doing is definitely in the scene where the Outsiders walk up to the bug that was planted on Oliver and then thrown out the window when it was discovered and Dinah proceeds to step on it, smashing it. It was a scene designed to look dramatic but makes no sense if you spend a second thinking about it. That was Curtis' bug and he probably would have liked to have it back.

I just said that. :( He probably makes them himself, too.

It's like they wanted that cool scene where the character steps on the bug all angrily, but they forgot that it was supposed to be the guy who discovers it that smashes it, not the people who've been tracking it.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

I enjoyed this tracker being a clever thing by the impulsive and underrated team member, until the black panel van full of heroes noticed the other black panel van full of heroes about 80 feet behind them, and then Felicity instantly brought up a 3d model of Ollie with the bug on his shoulder.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also the Outsiders' big problem with Team Arrow was how they were spying on them and they proceed to spy back the first chance they get. Rene especially came off as bad seeing as he purposefully escalated the situation to plant the bug.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Psychepath posted:

I enjoyed this tracker being a clever thing by the impulsive and underrated team member, until the black panel van full of heroes noticed the other black panel van full of heroes about 80 feet behind them, and then Felicity instantly brought up a 3d model of Ollie with the bug on his shoulder.

Or on a dead-rear end street a big black van is being tailed by the only car for miles with its high beams on and once Team Arrow finally notices, Dinah screams “We’ve been Marked!”

Bruh...

Im feeling like The Outsiders can get the boot but beyond that I’m really hating Dinah the gravelly, completely hinge-less rage-Monster. Aren’t you a loving cop? Any chance you can not act like a homicidal baby? I mean, like, even before your boyfriend was murdered.

Also the Outsiders' big problem with Team Arrow was how they were spying on them and they proceed to spy back the first chance they get. Rene especially came off as bad seeing as he purposefully escalated the situation to plant the bug.

It really feels like a schoolyard slap fight.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Phenotype posted:

Agreed on Curtis sabotaging Dig's implant, that was a really nasty thing to do to someone. And then you realize his motivation for doing it was because Dinah was really amped up about going to murder this girl which Curtis doesn't really want her to do, and then Curtis ends up talking her out of it at the last second, and just urgh. They're all idiots.

The Outsiders continual insistence on dancing around what Renee did is super annoying.

"Oh look Oliver is spying on us again"
"I did it because I thought someone broke my trust. And I was right"
"OMG STOP BEATING RENEE UP FOR IT"

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Everyone is a loving idiot because they learned from Ollie, the Grand High Poobah of Idiots.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I think Quentin's actions are supposed to feel creepy. It's a desperate action by a father who has lost his daughters and is willing to do anything to get back a part of what he lost. Same thing about Dinah. She was vengeful and furious the last few episodes and doing irrational things, with her teammates torn between helping their friend and stopping her, risking the team. I just wish they had some kind of reaction shot of Curtis when she smashes his toy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Azhais posted:

I think the show runners for flash and arrow traded all their writers for a finite number of monkeys on typewriters

That makes the best sense. Everyone knows apes are the writers.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Team Oliver logic :
OMG we have to find laurel before Dinah, as she will kill her.
We have found (tenuous) evidence that Dinah has Laurel.
Laurel's heat signature is not at the Outsiders cave
Therefore, Laurel is alive somewhere, Dinah could not possibly have killed her and put the body somewhere else.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
You know even with all the shenanigans the entire rest of the season, I've still been enjoying the show. I liked the concept of the Outsiders, I liked Oliver juggling an impending FBI investigation and mayoral duties, I even liked Cayden James' 12-steps-ahead rear end. It was all ridiculous but it was a comic book show so I could accept it.

But godDAMN this was a stupid episode on every conceivable level. Everybody is either an idiot or an rear end in a top hat, unless they're both. And somehow at the end of the episode neither team has any moral high ground. Except I guess Thea, who was smart enough to quit the game and avoid all this poo poo.

I mean Jesus, say what you will about the Flash and its gang of idiots but at least they can focus on the loving villain without havingbeating each other up. Speaking of focusing on the villain, I refuse to buy Laurel evading capture. Even if everyone focused on Rene, she has an open bullet wound and possibly a concussion after being beaten with a metal pole. Ollie could've easily gone back after getting Rene to the hospital and followed the blood trail to her (or more likely her corpse).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah Laurel runs offscreen and 2 “heroes” have a confrontational stand-around chat and don’t even bother to look for her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think the Outsiders were really meant to be presented in a more sympathetic light. Curtis clearly knew he was crossing a line with Diggle and the whole narrative was about both teams just crossing line after line with each other.

But it was definitely clumsy the way they did that last scene. Like it makes sense that since Rene is the one most hurt Team Arrow would so up and care while the Outsiders would be angry. And the "we're done" speech was kind of a natural result of the episode. But the way it was presented it definitely made the Outsiders look like they were taking a holier than thou stance despite knowing what they did.

There's lots of other clumsy timeline and dramatic stuff but I don't care about that because I know what show I've been watching for the last five and a half years.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

kjetting posted:

I think Quentin's actions are supposed to feel creepy. It's a desperate action by a father who has lost his daughters and is willing to do anything to get back a part of what he lost. Same thing about Dinah. She was vengeful and furious the last few episodes and doing irrational things, with her teammates torn between helping their friend and stopping her, risking the team. I just wish they had some kind of reaction shot of Curtis when she smashes his toy.

Does Quentin know her daughter is a successful Time Idiot? Stein and his daughter would Time Skype all the time. Do the Lances?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

*Dinah steps on bug for dramatic effect*
Curtis: Hey, that still worked.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

*Dinah steps on bug for dramatic effect*
Curtis: Hey, that still worked.
Dinah: Stop telling me what I can't kill, Curtis.

They need to fully embrace where they're headed and have Evil Laurel seduce and make out with Quentin until Thea saves the day, thus making Quentin realize his love for Thea and they have a kid together who will get killed tragically for Quentin's annual "not my baby!!!" scene while Thea bites her lip and goes back to work for Governor Queen.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

GigaPeon posted:

Does Quentin know her daughter is a successful Time Idiot? Stein and his daughter would Time Skype all the time. Do the Lances?

I doubt it. Sara even came back to Star City this week for a hot date but couldn't spend 5 mins to let her dad know she's still alive and ok.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sara being a horrible sister and daughter is consistent characterization at least.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

GigaPeon posted:

They're on different shows which means they will only get to interact during the crossover episodes at most

Sir Potato
May 26, 2012

PO-TAY-TOES
Boil 'em, mash 'em, cook 'em in a stew
It was not a great episode for sure, but I appreciated at the very least that Oliver clowned Rene and Curtis like he definitely should have been able to. But I agree that they've just turned everyone into complete idiots who can't formulate a coherent argument to push the plot forward. I definitely don't really see the Outsiders as even being remotely in the right, especially after what they did to John and his chip. It seems like they want to make them two functioning teams and we're supposed to care about both and then when they team up at the end, it's triumphant, but I don't think a single person who's watched all 5 previous seasons of this show will be rooting for New Team Arrow either with or against OTA. It's just conflict for conflict's sake, not to move the plot along. Was really hoping Thea would step in and take on Dinah when she was beating up an unarmed Quentin, tho, since I think she's supposed to come back in the suit for a bit this season. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I suppose I'm also in the minority in actually really appreciating how far off the deep end Quentin has gone with Laurel. It's super creepy and uncomfortable what he's doing, but as usual Blackthorne is pulling it off.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

I feel both Flash and Arrow writers have great ideas for the first half and then forget those ideas until after Christmas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I feel like the writer's room on Arrow is trying to do the Legends thing, only in Arrow's case it means they've ramped the melodrama up to ridiculous heights.