Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

lol if u haven't been updating the same word document for 15 years

Lol if your resume isn't in latex

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Rex-Goliath posted:

it's from a while ago- sometime mid-last year.

basically the guy had absolutely no idea what he was doing and compensated for it by being a colossal dick to everyone. any time he'd say something stupid and someone politely disagreed with him he'd turn it around to trying to make it seem like the person disagreeing was supremely incompetent for even making the suggestion.

on top of that he was the type of dude who saw trump's 'power' handshake and thought that it seemed like a great idea. one day i walked into my office to find him sitting at my desk with all my stuff all over the ground. i asked him wtf and he said he was told it was cool for him to use my desk. i told him I had to use my desk so he got up and walked away leaving my office a mess.

later that day he came back in and tried to take my keyboard as i was using it claiming that it was his

yeah they fired him

was that finally the thing that got him fired? or something else?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

it’s cast in latex. I just drop it like a mic on the table when I come in for an interview.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Latex is great and all but holy loving dogshit tabular and its variants are huge pieces of poo poo. You can spend as much time formatting tables as it takes to write the rest of the loving resume.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

qhat posted:

Never use recruiters.

Good luck finding a job without recruiters in noted personal-connections-are-not-necessary-to-get-your-foot-in-the-door country Japan, a place historically and contemporarily famous for the openness to having foreigners living and working there.

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

I wrote my resume in Google Docs, converted it to PDF and put the link to the PDF as a QR code on my business card. Not sure if this life hack gained me any offers, though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Progressive JPEG posted:

was that finally the thing that got him fired? or something else?

i’m not 100% sure since i’m a consultant and he was with the client but it sounded like they were already working on getting him out and that incident accelerated things

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

its me, i'm the black person in the alley

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Mar 3, 2018

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Penisface posted:

I wrote my resume in Google Docs, converted it to PDF and put the link to the PDF as a QR code on my business card. Not sure if this life hack gained me any offers, though.

A neat idea but you could just put your Linkedin URL since thats all Linkedin is

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

qhat posted:

Latex is great and all but holy loving dogshit tabular and its variants are huge pieces of poo poo. You can spend as much time formatting tables as it takes to write the rest of the loving resume.

I found a moderncv variant that works great. Still use word because it seems to be more compatible with OCR poo poo. edit: for like job jobs where people are unlikely to read a loving thing that is. Academic poo poo gets the nice one.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

buttchugging adderall posted:

last time I did my resume I just googled “Google Docs resume template”, picked one I thought looked ok, changed some margins and colors around, and put in my info. people responded positively to my resume so I guess it worked.

lol if you don't compile your resumé

nothing says "i touch computers real good" like a latex resume

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

ADINSX posted:

A neat idea but you could just put your Linkedin URL since thats all Linkedin is

That would require a Linkedin account which I consider a sort of scrub thing to be honest.

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006
Oh yeah, I had my first in-person interview yesterday. Two weeks ago we had a phone interview, seemed like a technical screening process. In-person interview was about two hours long. He gave me a tour of both buildings, explained the company structure, etc. I asked a bunch of the questions posted in the OP to, what seemed like, great effect. He described the benefits package and asked me if that salary range was ok (75k-90k was explicitly stated in the job advertisement). I said yes. For context, this is a low cost-of-living city in the midwest and I could completely wipe out our debt (wife's student loans) within a year at the high range, slightly longer at the low range.

Some background: I applied to this job because I'm wrapping up my PhD and my postdoc fell through. Now I just kinda wanna be rich. Been broke forever. After talking with the guy this actually seems like a really good job coming out of academia. Job title is 'data analyst' and involves building a lot of predictive and statistical models, which is what I did with my PhD. They are an insurance recovery operation that analyzes claims, and only recently got started in the analytics space. It seems they aren't totally sure what they are looking for, given the job description. B.S. required, excel background desired (lol), analyst title -- actual job is much different than what the advertisement conveyed. I'd basically have the freedom to develop my own approach. He made clear many times that there's tons of room for growth and space for innovation.

He's also concerned that the job won't hold my interest, which I took every opportunity to show interest vis-a-vis innovation in a new domain and the aforementioned flexibility. He asked me the whole 'where you see yourself in 5 years' deal, which in the context is a good question. I gave a diplomatic but certain answer that connected with what the job opportunity was offering in terms of developing mastery, etc.

I feel real good about it though. He said he would give me a phone call, and if I understood correctly, that's a phone call with a compensation number. Can't tell if I have the job or not, and I don't have an offer in hand directly, so...

YOSPOS, stabilize my emotions.

I didn't specify a number within that range, but I did say 'given the doctorate and background, I do prefer something at the higher end of the range' and he said of course!. So... dunno if I hosed that one up or not.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Caganer posted:

no one will fire you before 6 months - a year unless you actively gently caress up

Rex-Goliath posted:

yup. everyone will give you multiple benefits of the doubt if you're the fng.

my previous employment engagement is proof towards the opposite, i got let go within 1~2 months for vaguely defined "team/culture fit" reasons. attempts at digging into the reason resulted in being stonewalled everywhere

so its entirely possible to get fired that early

im glad i left honestly, the tech and product sucked. just wish it had been on my own terms instead

Penisface posted:

And loving hell the recruiting in Japan is crazy. The assumption seems to be that you are supposed to provide all your information to the recruiter up to and including proof about your current salary, and they pinkie swear that they are absolutely not never ever going to share it with the prospective employer, and especially definitely not during salary negotiations. When you point out that this practice has been made illegal in a number of places, you get some dumbass babble response that it's a "tradition" and will never lead to the prospective employer lowballing your offer because of the known high moral standards in :japan: or something.

remind me not to try and build my career in japan

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i mean id love to visit and maybe even retire there and im sure theres cool tech opportunities, but 1. the society hates me 2. theres a lot of stupid rules

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The only thing that can come out of a company telling you more info on your firing, from their point of view, is a lawsuit

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

fair

i just wanna know how i hosed up

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pollyanna posted:

my previous employment engagement is proof towards the opposite, i got let go within 1~2 months for vaguely defined "team/culture fit" reasons. attempts at digging into the reason resulted in being stonewalled everywhere

did you write any memos about :biotruths:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Caganer posted:

did you write any memos about :biotruths:

lol gently caress no

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pollyanna posted:

lol gently caress no

tbh i ran into a culture fit issue once too, and i'm still bitter. (if someone tells you in an interview they like your vacation policy and value work life balance, don't hire them then bitch when they use it and then go "oh well balance is a subjective term")

i hope you either negotiated a nice severance in exchange for resigning or claimed unemployment since "not a techbro, not a culture fit" does not constitute firing for cause

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Caganer posted:

tbh i ran into a culture fit issue once too, and i'm still bitter. (if someone tells you in an interview they like your vacation policy and value work life balance, don't hire them then bitch when they use it and then go "oh well balance is a subjective term")

i hope you either negotiated a nice severance in exchange for resigning or claimed unemployment since "not a techbro, not a culture fit" does not constitute firing for cause

claimed unemployment, didnt like the "you cant talk about this at all" clause

and it didnt go anywhere near long enough for vacation policy to be a factor. that said work-life balance might have been it, everyone there was pulling like 12+ hour days (some people worked from 10 am to 1 am their time!) and i was fairly strict and firm about working a standard 9~5 cause otherwise i get goony and burn the gently caress out.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pollyanna posted:

claimed unemployment, didnt like the "you cant talk about this at all" clause

uh... you do realize that those clauses cut both ways?

so now instead of having some $$$ and an ex employer who's legally obligated to give a neutral reference (most will just verify dates of employment and state you're eligible for rehire. not that they actually would but if you're smart you have them say that as part of the contract since that's how most companies use "eligible for rehire" as their heuristic for "was a poo poo employee")

you have an ex employer who can depending on their mood either say you were terminated or go into detail why. (statements of opinion aren't actionable and they could say "poor work ethic, not a team player" and have that not be actionable)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

reposting from cjs:

i have two offers in hand, one of which ive accepted and the other i received later and is looking more compelling right now

company A is a startup, with a product thats been around for a couple years iirc. recently pivoted more towards being a marketplace than a delivery service. theyre looking for fullstack engineers to generally work on the product and help improve the data ingest on one part of the product. theyve got a runway of like 6mo and say they want to bring in $80m~$100m of funding soon (i mighta gotten those numbers wrong). product seems interesting but im not sure of its long term prospects

company B is a ~200 person company but a non-startup, i.e. independent, profitable, and not reliant on funding. its a more boring product but the people seem happier, we got along well, and seem to be more invested in the development of their engineers. i would be working on one particular part of the larger product so its not as clear what id be working on or what specifically id be learning

so far im leaning towards company B cause its offering more stability, a better work-life balance, higher compensation, and a clear interest in developing engineers. but the one sticking point is that the commute would be hellish until i move closer in september (ask Captain Foo about how bad it would be). which still works cause i was looking to change areas anyway

some questions:

- how much should i worry about professional development, really? i feel like it might be independent of the specific job and more of a function of the opportunities i can find at one, and just plain chance. should that inform my decision?
- am i being too harsh on the stability factor? 6mo runway and looking for funding vs. profitable for most of their lifespan, etc.
- company A has tech thats closer to what ive done in the past and company B is more varied in terms of tech, should i favor one over the other? i want to focus, but its also not about the specific tech and more about the problems i can (attempt to) solve
- goddamn the commute for B would suck until i can move closer, though.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Caganer posted:

uh... you do realize that those clauses cut both ways?

so now instead of having some $$$ and an ex employer who's legally obligated to give a neutral reference (most will just verify dates of employment and state you're eligible for rehire. not that they actually would but if you're smart you have them say that as part of the contract since that's how most companies use "eligible for rehire" as their heuristic for "was a poo poo employee")

you have an ex employer who can depending on their mood either say you were terminated or go into detail why. (statements of opinion aren't actionable and they could say "poor work ethic, not a team player" and have that not be actionable)

oops

hasnt stopped me from getting offers but oh well maybe ill find out someday

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ok now you got me paranoid.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

i know someone that was fired under less than friendly circumstances and any time someone would call for a reference her former boss would say "sorry, you need to talk to HR" and then HR would tell the caller "Sorry, you need to talk to her boss"
hopefully the person calling got the message

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

thats what i figure. also i doubt they care so much to badmouth me vOv

since it was so short its not on my resume or linkedin anyway so for all intents and purposes i had a 1~2 mo break between employment for the holidays

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pollyanna posted:

so its entirely possible to get fired that early

im glad i left honestly, the tech and product sucked. just wish it had been on my own terms instead

remind me not to try and build my career in japan

Maybe the company was just transphobic? We're not a protected class so they're sadly free to fire you for that as a culture fit thing.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Penisface posted:

That would require a Linkedin account which I consider a sort of scrub thing to be honest.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Its a good way to accumulate recruiter spam and keep track of former co workers. I try and respond politely to people with interesting opportunities that I'm not ready for at the moment, and will probably go back to them and hit them up when its time to move on. Better than applying through someone's website.

I don't know why anyone would post articles or read those posted articles, but I find it odd if someone doesn't have an account and have used it to get more information about a candidate than would fit on a single resume page (please don't give me a resume with more than one page)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

cis autodrag posted:

Maybe the company was just transphobic? We're not a protected class so they're sadly free to fire you for that as a culture fit thing.

its a possibility and im afraid to admit it :( but it hasnt been a problem elsewhere, not that ive outed myself...still, its always in the back of my mind.

the only clues ive got were "a matter of culture fit" and "its about how you work in a team" so the only things i can think of were the fact that it was remote over a three-time-zone difference, and the fact that i explicitly refused to pull >8hrs

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

linkedin job posted:

We're running an Online Hiring Tournament on March 3rd to hire Chief Software Architects (USD $100K/yr) with expertise in C# (.NET) OR C++ OR Angular OR Ruby on Rails OR PHP OR React. If you are not familiar with any of those technologies, you should not attend the event as we currently have openings only in those roles.
This event will include testing. Upon grading the deliverables from the event, we will set up qualified candidates with an interview with the hiring manager, who can hire 20 Chief Architects this week. This is a 100% remote, full-time role.

so i guess there are now literal tournaments to get job interviews? why is touching computers so bad

edit: also editing this to say i ran into another good one
a company that had a dropdown list for college major. Computer Science, which was clearly asked for in the job listing, was not actually on the list
they also had a mandatory "Desired Salary" field that would not take 0 (but it took 1)

Shaman Linavi fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Mar 3, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shaman Linavi posted:

so i guess there are now literal tournaments to get job interviews? why is touching computers so bad

:laffo:

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

reposting from cjs:

i have two offers in hand, one of which ive accepted and the other i received later and is looking more compelling right now

Apart from hellish commute isn't B much closer to your personal preferences?

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Shaman Linavi posted:

a company that had a dropdown list for college major. Computer Science, which was clearly asked for in the job listing, was not actually on the list
they also had a mandatory "Desired Salary" field that would not take 0 (but it took 1)

if you aren't located in south america or eastern europe, i dont think youre the target audience

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Shaman Linavi posted:

i know someone that was fired under less than friendly circumstances and any time someone would call for a reference her former boss would say "sorry, you need to talk to HR" and then HR would tell the caller "Sorry, you need to talk to her boss"
hopefully the person calling got the message

the message being the company is disorganized?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Xarn posted:

Apart from hellish commute isn't B much closer to your personal preferences?

yep, significantly so

though im nervous that im missing something/wrong about something, hence the constant need for second opinions

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shaman Linavi posted:

lollll $100k for "chief architect"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Pollyanna posted:

reposting from cjs:

:words: :words: :words:

you're unemployed. flip a coin and pick one. a job is a job. they all loving suck. i would probably go with the company that isn't a VC-funded trashfire, but right now, the main goal is to be getting paychecks again, so if you want to dive into a trashfire instead, whatever, just loving do it

they call it a job because they have to pay you to do it

don't expect fulfillment or pleasure or "professional development" from work of all loving things, christ

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you're unemployed. flip a coin and pick one. a job is a job. they all loving suck. i would probably go with the company that isn't a VC-funded trashfire, but right now, the main goal is to be getting paychecks again, so if you want to dive into a trashfire instead, whatever, just loving do it

don't expect fulfillment or pleasure or "professional development" from work of all loving things, christ

normally i would agree with you, but...if i dont push for professional development, then that makes it more likely that ill be out of a job in the future/get obsoleted. i want a job now *and* tomorrow :saddowns:

and i am definitely getting *a* job, and the good thing is that the one im looking at right now is pretty drat good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

This. Chances are you're going to be jaded and bored after six months anyway no matter how great the job is, so just get paid (i.e earn money to survive) while you're at it.