Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Koalas March posted:

It's weird, I hear people get more conservative as they get older but my grandmother has gotten way more leftist over the years.

The idea that people get more right-wing as they age is basically a myth. It's not backed up by any long-term studies and iirc is based more on a misunderstood Churchill quote than on reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Mu Zeta posted:

I read somewhere that sometimes a contestant will screw up their baking and seriously start crying. So the hosts will run up next to them and start swearing so that they can't use the video footage. I'm sure the producers hate that.

I have this lovely vision of Mary Berry running up to a contestant and saying 'there, there. Never mind that your meringue didn't rise' then turning towards the camera and chanting 'oval office, oval office, oval office'

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Jenny Nicholson is awesome and here she is talking about The Worst Reality Show of All Time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKFgn6tNU6w

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SEX BURRITO posted:

That’s the one! I remember it being quite entertaining because it was so stupid. A lot of their ‘training’ was done by terrible Russian stereotypes, and they explained the lack of weightlessness by saying they were still close to earth. It was a really elaborate hoax.
Just never found it appealling. Maybe if it was being done with intent of seeing if contestants would see through the hoax, but they deliberately set out to find gullible people who knew basically nothing about space. That's just shooting fish in a barrel.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mezzanine posted:

Jenny Nicholson is awesome and here she is talking about The Worst Reality Show of All Time

Yeah, this one came up in a thread over at RGD, it's really worth your time.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
I'm gonna watch this video shortly but holy poo poo those plush porgs behind her are amazing and I need to mention that right now.

Not Operator has a new favorite as of 21:51 on Mar 3, 2018

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Not Operator posted:

I'm gonna watch this video shortly but holy poo poo those plush porgs behind her are amazing and I need to mention that right now.

porgs are trash animals of no regard

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Porgs aren't canon.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Porgs aren't canon.

cannon all porgs

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mezzanine posted:

I know liability waivers are a thing but it sure seems like production should have been shut down after someone's leg shatters in the very first event.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Krispy Wafer posted:

On my favorite parts of Survivor was their eating competitions, but they stopped doing them after the first 5 or so years. I don't know if lawyers got after the producers realized they couldn't keep topping each season without someone dying.

It's weird how quickly lawyers end these things. To Catch a Predator ended after one of the guys committed suicide. I don't know if The Real Housewives changed after a husband killed himself, but it seems like it's more manufactured drama than before. And no, I don't 'watch' Real Housewives of [insert city], but my wife does so the crap sinks into my brain via osmosis. I'll readily admit the terrible crap I watch such as Predator.

Housewives didn't really change after the suicide. The only thing I can really think of that changed anything was when one of the ladies threatened to sue production for airing something. They added that you couldn't sue your colleagues or Bravo to the contract.

The Bachelor in Paradise hosed up royally last year. Two contestants got suuuper drunk and he started performing oral sex on her in a pool with everyone around. She wakes up the next day and a producer friend tells her about what happened last night she freaked out and threatened to sue. The dude was black and she was a tiny, white blond girl which just made the whole thing more uncomfortable. Non of the contestants noticed how drunk the girl was because the producers very obviously has a drinking problem of some sort.
Now they get a mere 2 drinks every hour!

... I watch a poo poo ton of reality tv and the only "good" ones are FaceOff and Rupaul's Drag Race.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SiKboy posted:

Swearing and using brand names. That was Mel and Sue when The Great British Bake-Off was still on the BBC, and the BBC has really strict rules about using brand names (As I think do many channels, but the Beeb being publicly funded is very strict about it in general). I presume after a while, with the show being a runaway hit, the producers (hopefully) realised that part of why people liked the show was that it was generally, well... nice. Its on Channel 4 now with different presenters, I dont know if Noel and Sandi do the same thing.

Honestly I cant watch the US versions of any of his shows. They are so obviously scripted/manipulated that (particularly Kitchen Nightmares) that they quickly become formulaic. 90% of episodes of kitchen nightmares are functionally identical.

My favorite was a teaser with him saying you just killed someone and showing a ambulance. Actual episode a person way undercooked meat and him saying if he served that he would killed someone and throws it away.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

One of the reasons I love Great British Baking Show, is that everyone is just so nice to each other.
I hate this show so much. I think the production team is poo poo, and they treat their contestants badly.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rirse posted:

My favorite was a teaser with him saying you just killed someone and showing a ambulance. Actual episode a person way undercooked meat and him saying if he served that he would killed someone and throws it away.

I've seen that one I think! Absolutely shameless. Not every episode is identical, but they normally hit like 7 of these 9 points;

-The owner/chef is very confident about their food at the start, then the waiters who know its crap serve him and hes incredibly hyperbolic about how its the worst thing he's tasted. (always in the US version, in the UK version sometimes stuff was merely "bland" and occasionally one of the dishes would be good, or at least would have been if not for (flaw).) This in all fairness is essentially "free space" because of the premise of the show.

-Then the owner/chef pitches a fit about how theres nothing wrong with the food. Gordon increases the hyperbole the more defensive the chef gets.

-Gordon pokes about a bit, finds they are microwaving a lot of food and they don't clean out the walk in freezer as often as they should. The kitchen dont see anything wrong with the microwaving, but accept they should clean out the walk in so no one gets botulism or something. He makes them clean it up.

-He cuts their menu down from like 117 items to about 1-2 sides A4 with a lunch special. The wait staff try and enjoy the new food as prepared by gordon ramsey. Chef isnt sure as it isnt what hes used to.

-They have an evening service where a bunch more people than the restaurant are prepared for turn up because they've heard Gordon is doing the restaurant and want to be on TV. Kitchen get overloaded because they are working with a new menu and have gone from "no-one eats here" to "completely full all evening" literally overnight.

-If the owner/chef is two different people: The chef pitches a fit and quits, or Gordon persuades the owner to fire the chef. If owner/chef is the same person then instead they either go out for a cigarette or blow up and walk out to cool off. Either way Gordon follows them outside and needles them by questioning their commitment and reminds them that he's here to help, but if they want to close up he can leave. The ultimate goal here is for them to cry about how much they need Gordon.

-They sit down and Gordon finds out (to his perpetual disbelief, every time is apparently equally suprising) that the restaurant is losing a huge amount of money, and the owner is in a lot of personal debt because of this. The owner cries. They then have a bit to camera about how grateful they are that Gordon has come to help them. This feels disingenuous at best as they are wearing the same shirt they were wearing when they did a piece to camera about how much they "hate that limey prick, what does he know about food anyway?" because they obviously filmed all the pieces to camera after the location stuff wrapped.

-He reveals a quick redecoration of the restaurant and a new POS system (which they namedrop the brand of about 4 times because they are obviously sponsoring the show). The wait staff react like they've each won a gold plated blowjob.

-Post relaunch they have a successful evening service with minor hiccups. Voice over proclaims it a success, and that if they keep on this path they'll be a success.

There are the odd outlier (like the bakery one where it turned out after the show wrapped that it was a money laundering operation or something?) but so many episodes are practically interchangable, all that is different is the size and shape of the owner and if they shout at him or cry at him.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I hate this show so much. I think the production team is poo poo, and they treat their contestants badly.

I will literally fight you. Unless you are talking about the Channel 4 season(s) in which case, fire away, I dont agree with buying success.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Kitchen Nightmares gave us Amy's Baking Company.

You know, just saying.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

muscles like this! posted:

I know liability waivers are a thing but it sure seems like production should have been shut down after someone's leg shatters in the very first event.

If we’re going by injuries, then the worst reality TV show is The Jump from the UK. A bunch of z-list celebrities take on ski jumping, the luge, and other terrifying winter sports. It has lead to broken vertebrae, shattered knees, and lots of other horrible injuries. It’s just such a dumb concept for a show.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
"A few hiccups" on Kitchen Nightmares means "A year after this episode first airs, this restaurant will be completely gone." Seriously, extremely few of the US KN restaurants have ever survived.

Another corollary: the bit about the owner being up to his eyebrows in debt? About 50% of those are people that could not even pass a basic business math class, but "had a dream" about making a place the people in the community would love and gather at.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This convo just reminded me of one of the only jokes in Drawn Together that is actually kinda amusing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6zE3l9SMR0

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

"A few hiccups" on Kitchen Nightmares means "A year after this episode first airs, this restaurant will be completely gone." Seriously, extremely few of the US KN restaurants have ever survived.

Another corollary: the bit about the owner being up to his eyebrows in debt? About 50% of those are people that could not even pass a basic business math class, but "had a dream" about making a place the people in the community would love and gather at.

Restaurants have a very high failure rate and it's for exactly that "but I had a dream" reason. For whatever reason restaurants are one of the most common businesses for people to dream about opening and most people starting a business just don't do their homework. The restaurant world also has one of the highest failure rates of businesses ever. It isn't just "most restaurants fail" it's "drat near all of them do." Even if you do everything right and are an experienced restaurant person there's a very high likelihood of failure.

Restaurants on the show actually have a significantly better chance of succeeding then normal. Which is still "most of them fail" but I also imagine a significant chunk of that is "gently caress that Ramsay guy, I'm going back to doing it my way."

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Re-watching the first episode of the x-files and there's a line near the beginning of the episode "Gender Bender" (not even going to get into that part of it)

Dana Scully posted:

hard to imagine in this day and age someone having sex with a perfect stranger

Nowadays the line would just be nonsensical, but even then I know there was the AIDS crisis but did the 90s actually see any real reduction in casual sex?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Yeah, I've seen a few "where are they now" type episodes (of both the UK and US versions) and if the economy is good a decent number of them are still going. If the economy has had a downturn they have almost all closed down. Hell, Ramseys own restaurants have been struggling in last few years. And there was one (I think it had been a carvery or similar?) had shut down and refused to talk to him, so he tracked down a (now unemployed) member of staff who basically said "Literally a week after the cameras went away the owners changed everything back and we went back to losing money again.", as Toxicslurpee suggested many of them probably do.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, I've seen a few "where are they now" type episodes (of both the UK and US versions) and if the economy is good a decent number of them are still going. If the economy has had a downturn they have almost all closed down. Hell, Ramseys own restaurants have been struggling in last few years. And there was one (I think it had been a carvery or similar?) had shut down and refused to talk to him, so he tracked down a (now unemployed) member of staff who basically said "Literally a week after the cameras went away the owners changed everything back and we went back to losing money again.", as Toxicslurpee suggested many of them probably do.

I thought the only reason a lot of these disasters went on the show was so they could sell off their failing business at a profit because 'it was saved by Ramsay' and pawn it off onto another starry-eyed lunatic who thinks it's easy and simple to run one.

Restaurants really are the mid-life crisis of businesses, aren't they?

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

In 2016 I was bedbound for a month or so and hopped up on drugs, I binged a lot of Ramsey content in that time. The overly dramatic editing was just hilarious.
The UK Kitchen Nightmares is legit cool though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Zedd posted:

In 2016 I was bedbound for a month or so and hopped up on drugs, I binged a lot of Ramsey content in that time. The overly dramatic editing was just hilarious.
The UK Kitchen Nightmares is legit cool though.

It was weird going back to the bad audio and quiet nature of episode 1 after not seeing it for a while, it was more like an amateur film.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

FactsAreUseless posted:

Uh, what? You've usually got some really well-reasoned opinions but I'm just not seeing this one, care to elaborate? I mean

Mu Zeta posted:

I read somewhere that sometimes a contestant will screw up their baking and seriously start crying. So the hosts will run up next to them and start swearing so that they can't use the video footage. I'm sure the producers hate that.

at least is true, and I've heard it from several sources. They go out of their way to make sure any contestants having emotional episodes don't get exploited for the sake of the show. That's rad. And at the end of the show you get to see Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood tasting a bunch of delicious looking cakes. When Paul gives someone a handshake over their bake, we fuckin' cheer in the FCB household. I don't know if it's different/worse for the later seasons with the Mighty Boosh guy or whoever.

e: seriously Great British Bake Off reminds me a lot of those kid chef shows where Ramsay is all polite and helpful - it's a competition, and if you gently caress up they'll definitely tell you about it, but it doesn't feel like anyone on the show is out to stomp people's dreams or anything.

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 00:01 on Mar 5, 2018

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

Uh, what? You've usually got some really well-reasoned opinions but I'm just not seeing this one, care to elaborate? I mean

at least is true, and I've heard it from several sources. They go out of their way to make sure any contestants having emotional episodes don't get exploited for the sake of the show. That's rad. And at the end of the show you get to see Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood tasting a bunch of delicious looking cakes. When Paul gives someone a handshake over their bake, we fuckin' cheer in the FCB household. I don't know if it's different/worse for the later seasons with the Mighty Boosh guy or whoever.

e: seriously Great British Bake Off reminds me a lot of those kid chef shows where Ramsay is all polite and helpful - it's a competition, and if you gently caress up they'll definitely tell you about it, but it doesn't feel like anyone on the show is out to stomp people's dreams or anything.

I never got the bitching about Noel Fielding becoming a judge, it's not like he's Frankie Boyle. His humour is surreal, but suitable for all ages so I think he can be trusted with a family show like Bake Off. Let him eat cake! :v:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BioEnchanted posted:

I never got the bitching about Noel Fielding becoming a judge, it's not like he's Frankie Boyle. His humour is surreal, but suitable for all ages so I think he can be trusted with a family show like Bake Off. Let him eat cake! :v:

Maybe it's because Noel Fielding isn't funny? I know that's something I often regard as a negative trait in a comedian.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

I thought the only reason a lot of these disasters went on the show was so they could sell off their failing business at a profit because 'it was saved by Ramsay' and pawn it off onto another starry-eyed lunatic who thinks it's easy and simple to run one.

Restaurants really are the mid-life crisis of businesses, aren't they?

They pretty much are. It's depressingly common for somebody to dream about escaping the daily grind to think "well I can cook so now I'll take on a lot of debt to take a shot at being my own boss!" Then they find out that cooking for a restaurant is very, very different from cooking at home, restaurant work is loving hard, and running a restaurant successfully is extraordinarily difficult. They also very frequently forget "location, location, location." Sometimes it's "well I can make a better cheeseburger than McDonalds so running a restaurant can't be that hard." Well yeah no poo poo, drat near everybody can put together something better than a McDonalds cheeseburger. The reason McDonalds is successful is they dump cash into high traffic, ideal locations. Plus good loving luck making your very good cheeseburger faster or cheaper than McDonalds.

If memory serves a lot of KN episodes also had competent, well-meaning owners who had deadweight relatives loving the whole operation up but "I can't fire him, he's blood!"

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Garrand posted:

Re-watching the first episode of the x-files and there's a line near the beginning of the episode "Gender Bender" (not even going to get into that part of it)

Nowadays the line would just be nonsensical, but even then I know there was the AIDS crisis but did the 90s actually see any real reduction in casual sex?

Yeah, the average number of sexual partners for a person has been steadily declining since the 70s, at least in the US. Our Boomer grandparents were slutting it up in comparison to today's Tinder generation. The younger generations started having sex later and are more educated in general, along with far better sex ed, including awareness of STDs, all of which correlates to a lower number of sexual partners through life. There are also the huge cultural shifts in sexual mores with the acceptance of LGBT individuals, premarital sex, etc. that have also contributed to lowering the number of partners for the average person because there's a lot less sneaking around for furtive one-night stands. Younger generations are just more casual and open about sex, including non-vanilla stuff, despite sleeping around less than prior generations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

There's a website that tracks the restaurants from kitchen nightmares and pretty much the only resounding success was the one where the owner actually went to a business school but lacked real world experience and pretty much only needed to be pointed in the right direction. The episode at the sushi restaurant was interesting because between the show deciding to use the restaurant and them showing up to film they had already decided to shut down the restaurant. The daughter does a really bad job of faking it and is crying the entire time.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
I've heard that many of the families featured in Extreme Makeover: Home Edition end up struggling with their shoddily made homes and massive tax increases after taping. It's also weird yo me that it spun off of Extreme Makeover which while I've never seen it seems like it must have been more explicitly exploitative.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

rodbeard posted:

The daughter does a really bad job of faking it and is crying the entire time.

But enough about your sex life

ToyotaThong
Oct 29, 2011

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Can’t get enough of that booty juice.

More of a Come And Pet The P.U.S.S.Y. guy myself.

On topic though.
Combat Missions was a weird reality TV show.
Take SF, SWAT, Rangers, SEALs, Recon, CIA operators, etc.
Make them into teams, have the teams do challenges and combat missions.
If you were "killed" on the mission, you were out of the competition.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I've heard that many of the families featured in Extreme Makeover: Home Edition end up struggling with their shoddily made homes and massive tax increases after taping. It's also weird yo me that it spun off of Extreme Makeover which while I've never seen it seems like it must have been more explicitly exploitative.

That's what happened to most people on Pimp My Ride. They're already broke so that's why they're driving pieces of poo poo.

Then after Xzibit gets done pimping their ride, their insurance skyrockets and they end up selling the car because there's no way they can afford it anymore.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

ToyotaThong posted:

More of a Come And Pet The P.U.S.S.Y. guy myself.

On topic though.
Combat Missions was a weird reality TV show.
Take SF, SWAT, Rangers, SEALs, Recon, CIA operators, etc.
Make them into teams, have the teams do challenges and combat missions.
If you were "killed" on the mission, you were out of the competition.

This sounds pretty awesome.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

duck trucker posted:

That's what happened to most people on Pimp My Ride. They're already broke so that's why they're driving pieces of poo poo.

Then after Xzibit gets done pimping their ride, their insurance skyrockets and they end up selling the car because there's no way they can afford it anymore.

Or they sell it as a better alternative to getting it stolen and/or gutted within days.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inescapable Duck posted:

Or they sell it as a better alternative to getting it stolen and/or gutted within days.

I thought that there was some kind of no-sell clause in the contracts, which would make it the most pointless show to be on.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

I know one family immediately took our extra mortgages on their newly revalued (and paid off) house and ended up losing everything. Otherwise I think most of the families came out ahead. A house built in one week is going to have issues, but in every case they came from near squalor to upper middle class living conditions.

The problem is some people are in dire straits because they make bad choices. Giving them nice stuff just enables them to make more bad choices.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

SiKboy posted:

Swearing and using brand names. That was Mel and Sue when The Great British Bake-Off was still on the BBC, and the BBC has really strict rules about using brand names (As I think do many channels, but the Beeb being publicly funded is very strict about it in general). I presume after a while, with the show being a runaway hit, the producers (hopefully) realised that part of why people liked the show was that it was generally, well... nice. Its on Channel 4 now with different presenters, I dont know if Noel and Sandi do the same thing.

They completely changed the way they edit the show after Bingate happened in 2014 - at that point something like 50% of the adult UK population were watching the programme and it ended up being national news for a couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

duck trucker posted:

Wasn't there also something like that with a talk show giving cars to everyone and then they all got hit with tax bills for accepting such large gifts as well as all the costs of registering and insuring their brand new, expensive cars?

I think it was Oprah, but I'm sure at least one other show did it, too.