Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I tried using Onion Knight but I couldn't for the life of me figure out how to swap back from sage to knight to ninja and so forth and spent a long rear end fight lazily floating around shooting slow, easily dodgeable attacks
Then I tried using Squall and his combos are super boring and also apparently you can do timed hits with him like in 8 but I can't figure out how

And weren't there limit breaks in this?

Hit people with melee attacks to become a ninja, hit people with magic attacks to become a sage, switch between them with your EX move (that’s triangle with no directional input). Your base Onion Knight form is crap, and your job is to get out of it as fast as possible. Most characters’ limit breaks are HP attacks, although some, like Lightning, have them as their special EX abilities instead (for the record, Lightning and Exdeath switch forms by tapping L3).

Squall’s hits do need careful timing. Basically, you have to match the rhythm of his combos. It’s tricky, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

You don't know what 'burly' means, do you.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

MikeJF posted:

Maybe the Garif Elder is just really into Vaan. Like a lot.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Ripped was probably edited out for not meeting the style and most of your other choices are probably leaning a bit into him being a little too into Vaan.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

MikeJF posted:

That line was left in from when Vaan had dem abs

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh my god Judge Burgan your helmet is loving hilarious. How are you trying to be ominous and gravelly, you look like someone dipped an elizabethan noblewoman in metal.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Wow the Zeromus + bubble + Niho trick is insane, and I'm upset I didn't find out about this until endgame.

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek
Foe: Any > Shades of Black

I waited 10 years and I'm awarded with the satisfaction of spamming Scathe and Scourge on poor rainy Giza beasts, god I miss the visual effects of these stupidly OP magicks.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Since someone briefly mentioned ffV iOS I feel an obligation. I have used that version for all 13(?) Fiesta runs ive done so far. I am currently at NED with a purposefully "worst" team of Monk/Red Mage/Geomancer/Dragoon

I have a broken brain. Do not be like me, do not play FFV Mobile.

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Does Shades of Black piss off elementals?

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek
I think shades of black and motes don't trigger elementals, I will have to test that and see for myself actually as I never risked experimenting it yet.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
Picked up XIII because it was on sale (Well, I was gifted it by my other half. I gifted her X/X-2 HD). I'm not sure how long I can stick with it because this battle system feels very out of my control. Any advice for gettin gud at the battle system? Is it just one of those "keep at it until it clicks" things? I'm not minding the story too much, although when asked by the other half what the basic plot so far was, I used a lot of "umm" and "ahh".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

What chapter are you on?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

DeadButDelicious posted:

Picked up XIII because it was on sale (Well, I was gifted it by my other half. I gifted her X/X-2 HD). I'm not sure how long I can stick with it because this battle system feels very out of my control. Any advice for gettin gud at the battle system? Is it just one of those "keep at it until it clicks" things? I'm not minding the story too much, although when asked by the other half what the basic plot so far was, I used a lot of "umm" and "ahh".

The combat system becomes more robust and strategic as the game progresses. It will keep introducing new stuff into it for a while yet, actually. Keep at it.

The plot is enjoyable enough, but it’s definitely melodramatic anime stuff.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So the important thing to realize about XIII is that you "playing" the game is not putting in attack chains. You can, and at high level play it's better than the auto battle, but by and large you want to let the game take car of itself. Your role is sort of the next level up, to keep stock of the battle and change paradigms as necessary. You can have six of them in your deck, and each one is meant to handle a specific situation - Relentless Assault (Com/Rav/Rav) is great for staggering enemies, but you'll want to switch to something like Com/Com/Rav or even Com/Com/Com afterwards to maximize your damage, or have Combat Clinic (Sen/Med/Med) ready to go after a big attack to get you back on your feet. And just in general buffs and debuffs are super important, and you will get your poo poo stomped in if you don't make good use of them.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

DeadButDelicious posted:

You just gotta realize that once you've filled out the Libra data on an enemy the AI i pretty good at picking moves in most fights. The individuals actions are not what you need to worry about, it's the timing of your actions and paradigm shifts. Your goal is to keep that stagger meter up and you do that by keeping the pressure on with smart paradigms. Commando and Saboteur (the Melee damage and Status effect classes) don't build meter but they slow meter decay where as the mage classes builds it very fast but it dies fast. The main part of gameplay is timing your hits and timing your paradigm swaps to maximize damage and interrupt enemies as much as possible.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

What chapter are you on?

Really still quite early - Vile Peaks, which the wikia says is Chapter 4? Where Lightning and Hope have gone one way and Sazh and Vanille have gone another way.

Re: Battle system, I think it's throwing me off because it's very different to a more traditional FF where you have full control over your party inputs, can put on Wait instead of Active, game isn't over if the leader falls (that's very Baldur's Gate). It's taking a lot of getting used to.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You don't unlock everything (like choosing party members) until like chapter 11

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The gameplay for FF13 is preparing the right paradigms for specific situations and switching between paradigms at the right times. The commands chosen are irrelevant except for very specific scenarios as even if you don't spam Libra on every new encounter the AI will quickly learn an enemy's weaknesses and vulnerabilities and adjust strategies accordingly.

It's a bit different from other FF's since the actual battle moves are irrelevant and there's little in way of customization. Also the game has abysmal pacing which definitely doesn't help.

Honestly it comes down to if you find the battle system intriguing enough to keep playing until it actually opens up 2/3 into the game. If not, might as well stop playing since the plot certainly doesn't get much better and there's no minigames or other things to give you a break until near the end game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The first thing that needs to click is that choosing a paradigm is basically choosing what sort of attack you want to launch at the next ATB fill. Then what naturally follows is what sort of attacks the paradigms are going to get you - building stagger meter, maintaining stagger meter, doing damage to a staggered enemy, healing, or preventing damage. Then the next trick is that each class also gives a party wide buff that can stack so you do your best healing with 2 medics for example.

Always be changing. You get a free atb full charge when paradigm shifting after a certain amount of time (I think its after a couple natural fills of the atb?)

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mega64 posted:

The gameplay for FF13 is preparing the right paradigms for specific situations and switching between paradigms at the right times. The commands chosen are irrelevant except for very specific scenarios as even if you don't spam Libra on every new encounter the AI will quickly learn an enemy's weaknesses and vulnerabilities and adjust strategies accordingly.

It's a bit different from other FF's since the actual battle moves are irrelevant and there's little in way of customization. Also the game has abysmal pacing which definitely doesn't help.

Honestly it comes down to if you find the battle system intriguing enough to keep playing until it actually opens up 2/3 into the game. If not, might as well stop playing since the plot certainly doesn't get much better and there's no minigames or other things to give you a break until near the end game.

I think I've tried to play 13 twice and never got to that point where it opens up. I don't remember the plot itself that well even but mostly just remember not really finding any character interesting or engaging early. Seeing talk on the game usually just makes me feel like I'm missing something since a lot of people (especially the Japanese fanbase it seems) seem to absolutely adore Lightning.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zerilan posted:

I think I've tried to play 13 twice and never got to that point where it opens up. I don't remember the plot itself that well even but mostly just remember not really finding any character interesting or engaging early. Seeing talk on the game usually just makes me feel like I'm missing something since a lot of people (especially the Japanese fanbase it seems) seem to absolutely adore Lightning.

There was an effortpost earlier in the thread about how Lightning’s Japanese voice direction does take her in a slightly more interesting direction. Her constant, barely-suppressed rage is a lot more obvious in it, apparently.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Zerilan posted:

She's an independent woman protagonist that doesn't take anyone's poo poo and kicks a lot of rear end, that's pretty much it. Though I imagine most of the posters in this thread who like Lightning's character like her Lightning Returns iteration more than her FF13 one.

She doesn't have a lot of depth outside caring for her sister and having trouble handling her emotions in general, but her surface characteristics are interesting enough that it's not surprising she's a big deal, plus she's far from the list of biggest problems with the FF13 games. It's just that she doesn't have the depth of Cloud, Squall, Zidane, or Tidus since 13 slightly leans toward an ensemble piece, albeit still with a clear main protagonist.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Mega64 posted:

She's an independent woman protagonist that doesn't take anyone's poo poo

For as far as I got this mostly seemed to translate as "grumpy rear end in a top hat who hates Snow." I can't really remember much personality wise about the rest of the cast beyond the kid whose most notable trait was also "hates Snow."

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Who is everyone's favourite female protagonist?

Faris has a special place in my heart personally.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Lightning, is good to talk to you becows you strong of fight, say 'Fucks!' and do good with strongs. Dont even take a poo poo if dont have to!
Sometime a people take poo poo cause to be friend with you, I dont like that, I like fight hard style, and so I like you. Any kid I see, I tell,
no no dont take a shits for anynone, only GIVE shits, and see futures in balls.

Ma all the gods of furious strong be with you as you crunch opposents, and live like a windrammer as you gently caress.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yuna, for successfully abandoning her tragedy-based lifestyle to become a pop-star treasure hunter.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ashe, because in the intro she's a token princess staying at home while her husband rides to war, then she picks up a katana and starts loving things up without any "why does it have to be me" moping.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Aerith for the times she makes fun of anyone else trying to do the "I must do things alone to protect you" poo poo.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mega64 posted:

She's an independent woman protagonist that doesn't take anyone's poo poo and kicks a lot of rear end, that's pretty much it. Though I imagine most of the posters in this thread who like Lightning's character like her Lightning Returns iteration more than her FF13 one.

She doesn't have a lot of depth outside caring for her sister and having trouble handling her emotions in general, but her surface characteristics are interesting enough that it's not surprising she's a big deal, plus she's far from the list of biggest problems with the FF13 games. It's just that she doesn't have the depth of Cloud, Squall, Zidane, or Tidus since 13 slightly leans toward an ensemble piece, albeit still with a clear main protagonist.

Also, she's hot.

Nasgate posted:

Celes and Terra. I also really like Yuna and Tifa too, and Aeris is such a sassy bitch but who knows how much of that will make it into VIIR.

e: oh and Quistis, but that's more me liking her potential than anything else b/c she stops having a character/arc after Squall friendzones her

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Kumama

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Celes, Aerith and Ashe.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

Nasgate posted:

Rydia. Almost 20 years and still going strong as #1 for me.
(I didnt first play FF4 till like 1999)

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Oh, I also really love Agrias.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I like Yuffie, Quistis, and Iris personally. That's kind of all over the map though.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I have a soft spot for Garnet. She goes through a lot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Garnet easily takes top place. Yuna is probably second.

And while she's not a strong protaganist at all, I have a soft spot for Rinoa because of nostalgia. And I like her outfit ensemble because it works so much better than Garnet's orange jumpsuit thing.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Nasgate posted:

Garnet, because 8-Bit Scholar and ApplesandOranges pretty much nailed it. The same should probably apply to Selphie as well but I can't get over how insipidly manic-pixie she comes off as.

I'm also a big fan of Tifa, and I know I'll probably get flack for this but i especially loved her in VII:AC when she chews out Cloud for being an indecisive mopey prick.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Nasgate posted:

Ashe for having probably the best actual internal conflict in FF12 (How far are you willing to go for revenge), Dagger/Garnet for the back and forth between her and Zidane especially towards the end of disk 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

My genuine favorite lady protagonist is probably Aerith or Celes. Garnet would be up there but I frigging hate the mute plotline.