Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Hmm, I have to say that I wasn't very impressed by the new episode.
I did like the Deke bits, especially the tree hugging and his surprised disgust at tasting real beer.

The Xena girl though... ugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
That bartender didn't even try to scan Deke's wrist. :mad:

Good to see Piper back, even if she hosed up bad.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AbstractNapper posted:

I did like the Deke bits, especially the tree hugging and his surprised disgust at tasting real American beer.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

AbstractNapper posted:

I did like the Deke bits, especially the tree hugging and his surprised disgust at tasting real beer.

Beer is nasty though?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

I’ve been more or less feeling that for this whole season so far. It’s... OK? I’ll power through and finish the season, but I have to say AoS is starting to lose me.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
AoS is still solid television as far as I'm concerned. I never find myself thinking "just get it over with" during it.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Wait poo poo there was a new episode, I thought it was next week :negative:

God reading from it, I just hope we don't spend too much time building up to them having to redo the loop and that this is actually the time they succeed in breaking it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I certainly enjoyed this episode a lot more than the rest of the season. Dank-rear end space dystopia with star trek aliens sucked.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I love how Deke's personality changed entirely, and not in a bad writing way at all. Like, when he was living in a miserable dystopia where everyone he gives a poo poo about gets eaten by giant alien cockaroaches he was a cynical jaded rear end in a top hat. But the second he sees the sun, trees, and garbage ice cream he's a giddy wide eyed child who can't even grasp the concept of animal crackers.

That was fun.

I don't know how I feel about the evil warrior Disney teen. Although I guess I'm glad she's evil and crazy because I was never going to sympathize with her.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Mymla posted:

I certainly enjoyed this episode a lot more than the rest of the season. Dank-rear end space dystopia with star trek aliens sucked.

This is certainly correct.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mymla posted:

yeah i appreciated it from a storytelling perspective but it wasn't really enjoyable to watch for the most part imo. I'm glad they're back on non-blown-up earth.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Look everyone, lighting! Sometimes even natural light!

My number one complaint of the first pod was most scenes outside of Kasius' room seemed like they forgot to pay the electric bill.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Those robot soldiers had a distinctly HYDRA look to them.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Biggest question here: why was it soooo important for the main characters (and each one of them specifically minus Fitz) to go into the future again? Like, what was the point of the first half of this season?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

self-fulfilling prophecy by the little girl, from which they got ... Deke and a Skye Power Inhibitor?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Whoa, holy poo poo, first Inhumans, then LMDs and Ghost Rider and now Thunderbolts?! This show's going everywhere!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I would not be surprised if Deke is the X factor that changes the future.

I'd not be surprised if General and slicey teen (wait is she named Ruby? like Reigns daughter on Supergirl?) turn out to be Kree or even Skrulls.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GLOSS posted:

Ok Creel is good, where the hell is Deathlok already!?!

Exactly! Dude's the biggest dropped element in this show, now that they've brought Gravitonium back and acknowledged it still exists.

JazzFlight posted:

Biggest question here: why was it soooo important for the main characters (and each one of them specifically minus Fitz) to go into the future again? Like, what was the point of the first half of this season?

They now know they can bring people back from the dead, so they can save Coulson and Yoyo's arms while they're sprinting through timelines.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Oh, and the “Asgardian in the city” was totally Thor from Ragnarok, right?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Who was the guy running at the end again?

Also are the general and her daughter new people that they just introduced or did they exist before? Just wondering.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also are the general and her daughter new people that they just introduced or did they exist before? Just wondering.

The general was seen during Fitz's episode leading the investigation into SHIELD. She killed two of her agents in cold blood when they botched the investigation.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

(wait is she named Ruby? like Reigns daughter on Supergirl?)

Oh huh, so she is.

Boris Galerkin posted:

The Absorbing Man

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The general was new to the Fitz flashback episode last pod, the one with Hunter. Her daughter is new to this episode as we're the robot super soldiers.

The jogger is Carl Creel, aka the Absorbing Man. He's showed up off and on through much of the shows run. He absorbs the property of stuff he touches.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.

Phylodox posted:

Oh, and the “Asgardian in the city” was totally Thor from Ragnarok, right?

Yes. The report being from the girl who saw him and took a selfie, so it had spread that he was around.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

I'm surprised the Thread-titel hasn't been changed to "We have a small but loyal fanbase" yet.

Also Deke is gold :3:
And Piper will redeem herself.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

And here I though Kasaius cut off Yo-Yo's arms to keep her from fighting back. That makes more sense than what happened. It's bad enough that she should have seen the chakram and easily avoided it, but then it also somehow managed to cut off both arms, at the same place?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

She hasn't had a great track record of reckless actions to save Mack. I can't remember what episode it was but remember when she took those bullets for him?

Now I can't even remember if she's been shown to be good at stopping things mid-flight or only when they're stationary like guns out of people's hands.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

CaveGrinch posted:

Yes. The report being from the girl who saw him and took a selfie, so it had spread that he was around.

And people said AoS would never reference the movies again

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Rewatching the episode, the first scene doesn't seem to make much sense. Kid Xena questioning her mom's morals over SHIELD, and her mom reassuring her that it's her job to make the world a safer place. That doesn't really make much sense when we know that kid Xena's the assassin she's using. And the whole capture/kill thing makes even less sense knowing that.

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

RareAcumen posted:

They now know they can bring people back from the dead, so they can save Coulson and Yoyo's arms while they're sprinting through timelines.

I think Coulson certainly already knows they can bring people back from the dead.

e: Lol I misread your sentence. Nice

Good Lord Fisher! fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 3, 2018

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Kheldarn posted:

And here I though Kasaius cut off Yo-Yo's arms to keep her from fighting back. That makes more sense than what happened. It's bad enough that she should have seen the chakram and easily avoided it, but then it also somehow managed to cut off both arms, at the same place?

I was thinking the same thing earlier. It didn't seem to be an open matter how she lost her arms. I also just assumed Kasius did it -- although on second thought he could have used one of his slugs couldn't he?

Anyway, the episode wasn't bad per se. It was more of a set up episode than anything else and I admit that with all the hype about the 100th I thought this was it and that didn't help.

RE: "real beer". I don't really like (European) beer but I will drink on occasion with my friends. I do remember though the first times I've tasted it and yeah my main thought was how do people drink this in large glasses no less?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hope and vaseline posted:

Rewatching the episode, the first scene doesn't seem to make much sense. Kid Xena questioning her mom's morals over SHIELD, and her mom reassuring her that it's her job to make the world a safer place. That doesn't really make much sense when we know that kid Xena's the assassin she's using. And the whole capture/kill thing makes even less sense knowing that.

Yeah, I was thinking that, too. But it seems she's just obsessed with Daisy Quake, and doesn't give a poo poo about the rest of them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

AbstractNapper posted:

I was thinking the same thing earlier. It didn't seem to be an open matter how she lost her arms. I also just assumed Kasius did it -- although on second thought he could have used one of his slugs couldn't he?

Anyway, the episode wasn't bad per se. It was more of a set up episode than anything else and I admit that with all the hype about the 100th I thought this was it and that didn't help.

RE: "real beer". I don't really like (European) beer but I will drink on occasion with my friends. I do remember though the first times I've tasted it and yeah my main thought was how do people drink this in large glasses no less?

Hey man, don't feel patriotic about your bad beer, Aussie beer is universally bad. But they/we don't know that.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Also, it looks like Coulson & Co. are going to be responsible for the extinction of the Chronicom race, one observer at a time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

There is nobody on the planet who took their first sip of beer, or coffee, or hard alcohol, and thought, "Mmm. Delicious." You drink it to get hosed up and eventually you love the taste.

I really appreciated this show's portrayal of somebody drinking their first beer.

Also, whoever floated the idea of an episode where the crew goes on vacation really hit on something that has been bothering me. I love the show, and it's still awesome, but since the middle of last season, the crew has just been playing whack-a-mole with crises and the pace is starting to wear on me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

AbstractNapper posted:

Speaking of future tech, Daisy is still chipped and powerless right? And I guess everyone has their wrist implant too but that doesn't really do anything anymore.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

hope and vaseline posted:

I would need to rewatch it to make sure the whole thing gels, but I'm fairly sure that she wasn't actually asking an honest question there, but was just pushing her "the ends justify the means" mom's button out of raw teenage spite by casting doubt on the whole moral justification that she's using to pursue SHIELD. When the daughter asks "are you a good guy?", she even gets a little smirk on her face and then mockingly repeats her mother's mantra verbatim back to her face as she says it.

And as far as the capture/kill thing, I feel like that was specifically focused on Daisy, not a more general statement. She obviously has no problems with killing the rest of SHIELD because Daisy didn't walk into the trap with them, but goes out of her way to second-guess her mother about what they are planning to do with Quake.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Generic American posted:

I would need to rewatch it to make sure the whole thing gels, but I'm fairly sure that she wasn't actually asking an honest question there, but was just pushing her "the ends justify the means" mom's button out of raw teenage spite by casting doubt on the whole moral justification that she's using to pursue SHIELD. When the daughter asks "are you a good guy?", she even gets a little smirk on her face and then mockingly repeats her mother's mantra verbatim back to her face as she says it.

And as far as the capture/kill thing, I feel like that was specifically focused on Daisy, not a more general statement. She obviously has no problems with killing the rest of SHIELD because Daisy didn't walk into the trap with them, but goes out of her way to second-guess her mother about what they are planning to do with Quake.

Good call, I wasn't paying as much attention to her body language there. It does make sense that there's something up with her Daisy fixation there.

I really liked this episode, the space stuff was starting to feel claustrophobic with the cheap reused sets they were forced to use :(

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

overall it was a clunky episode, both in terms of setting up plot threads as well as the fighting (I can't be the only one who thought that that encounter with the evil mooks was clunky right?). Regarding the first, a bunch of drama bs is coming from the fact that neither yo-yo nor coulson are talking to each other or the rest of the team. That's just a lazy source of drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
So...between this and Everything Sucks! (which, I know, it’s a period piece, but still had the weirdly prominent placement)...is Zima a thing again?