Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: Kyoko! Byakuya! I knew you guys would come!

Kyoko...? Byakuya...?

: We'd be better off leaving behind someone who jumps to conclusions without listening to our warnings...

: I-I'm sorry...

: Even though it took some time for two people to enter the program simultaneously...

: ...It appears we made it.
: H-Hey...what's going on? Why are there more people again...?

: How exciting! I haven't seen these faces in ages. It's like opening your high school yearbook ten years later!
: I must say, now that I'm seeing her up close... She's much bigger than I remembered.
: Whaaat? What kind of man isn't excited by big women? Once you gain some more experience, you'll understand.
: There's a looooooooot of kinky things you can do with big girls.
: ...Shut up.

: B-Byakuya...you're alive...! But you're so skinny now... I feel so bad for you!

: ...You shut up, too.

: U-Um...are you two...also from the Future Foundation?
: No...it's probably not just that...

"The six of you joined the Future Foundation because you agreed with our ideals, right? The Future Foundation rescued you from the tragedy you survived and cooperated with recovering your memories."

"Tragedy"... If the "killing school life" is referring to that...

: You guys...are the survivors of the killing school life who previously defeated Junko, right?
: ...Yeah, that's right.
: Th-There's three of them here now!?

: The former heroes plunging themselves into the game world, ignoring all danger...
: Jeez...! S-Stupids...! Making such a suicidal move...did you really wanna see me that badly?
: It can't be helped... In order to stop you, that suicidal move was our only choice.
: So how about it? There are eight people now. We have enough to activate the shutdown sequence!

Music fades out.

: ...

: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

: Why...are you crying?

: *sob sob*... You guys showed up looking all cool and stuff...and now, all the Ultimate Despairs... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! They'll be treated like even bigger chumps!
: Chump... You said it again!
: ...Just ignore her.

: As long as we activate the shutdown sequence, it'll be the end of her and this messed up world.

And...this messed up world...?

: ...Hey, can I ask you something? If we do shut down the program... What will happen to us?

: ...No need to worry. We won't let you get hurt.
: I-It's not just that, we want a more detailed explanation...

Music fades out.

: If you shutdown the Neo World Program, everything within the program will be deleted. It will obviously delete Alter Ego Junko, along with your avatars here...

: So you're saying we're going to be deleted too!?
: It doesn't mean you'll be deleted... The program will just finish without completing the Graduation Program...
: What does that mean for us?

: Your avatars will not upload... So you will revert to your original state before you entered the program.

...Huh!?

: ...Is there a reason to tell them all that?
: They have to know everything...or else they won't agree to do it.

: H-Hold on a second... If we go back to our original selves before we entered the program...

If we're going to revert back to our original selves before we entered the program...

> Revert to Ultimate Despairs

: D-Does that mean we'll go back to being Ultimate Despair?
: That's right! Back to being hopelessly controlled by me, when you used to feel despair upon despair!
: N-No!

: A-Are you loving serious...!? Can't you do anything about it!?
: I understand your concern...but this is the only way to stop Junko...
: It might be a painful decision...but I know you guys will be able to overcome it...!
: That's why, in order to defeat despair, I want you guys to fight alongside us!

: W-We still have to fight...? I...I thought we finally reached the end...!
: Don't worry... Once you get out, we will do our best to support you.
: But I thought the Future Foundation wanted to kill every last Ultimate Despair?

"For this reason, the Remnants of Despair must be immediately eliminated once they are discovered."

: When you say "support"...do you mean, "I'll make sure you don't suffer when I kill you" or...?
: Of course not... We would never allow that to happen.

: It's gonna be all right... Your real bodies have just been brainwashed. That's why...I'm pretty sure you'll quickly revert back to the state you're in right now.
: Can you stop saying cheesy stuff like "brainwashed"...? Washing your brain is, like...really nasty...
: B-But still...even if our brainwashing is undone, the memories we've made up till now will be erased, right?
: Does that mean we'll completely forget everything we did on this island? I don't want that!

: It doesn't matter what you want, that's the reality... Every meaningless thing that happened here will vanish from your minds...

Meaning...vanish...

Does that...include her, too?

If we lose our memories of this world, we're also going to forget *she* ever existed, right?

If that happens... Does it really mean that...that she, an existence confined to this world...is really going to disappear?

She risked her life to protect us, and we won't even remember she existed...!

: Memory's not all that'll go back to normal. If you've lost a limb, like Nagito, it'll still be gone when--
: P-Please stop...!
: Going back to reality in that condition... That's like a bad joke.

: We're not joking...that is your past... Nobody can escape their past.
: W-We don't know anything about that past!

: Hey...why...? Why did we become Ultimate Despair in the first place?
: I asked the same thing in the real world but...nobody would give me an answer...
: It seems my teachings were quite thorough. However, if you ask me...
: People who cling to stuff like hope, talent, or admiration are truly the weakest!
: Huh...?

: Guys who desperately want to reach the top... They don't think about what'll happen when they're pushed off. They're probably too concerned with having a really nice view while they condescend to others.
: Shoving off guys like that is soooooo easy! I happen to know 17,082 ways to do that! The point is...the moment you cling to talent and hope, despair has already set in...
: That's not even an explanation!
: ...Then, what if you think about it like this?

: It turns out that you guys being Ultimate Despair was just part of the game world... And in truth, those guys from the Future Foundation might be part of the game world, too...

: They're simply side characters of the game world whose role is to offer hopeless hope to you guys...
: Well, after saying all that...I don't even know what's real and what's a game anymore.
: A-Are you kidding around...!?

: Enough...! My patience is wearing thin... Let's hurry and start the shutdown sequence already...!
: Before you do that, we gotta do some reviewing!

: Ahem! When you guys activate the shutdown, you'll revert back to when you were known as Ultimate Despair... And your dead friends will never be revived... And the embodiment of despair, AKA me, will be erased, thereby preserving hope in the real world!

: Now then! Will the hope of the Future Foundation win? Or will my despair win?
: Alllll right! Thingsh are shtarting to heat up!!!

: ...This isn't a game, you know.
: Au contraire, this IS a game. The game of hope and despair that started with your killing school life. That explains why these chumps who weren't around last time have been reduced to mere side characters.
: Y-You called us chumps again!

: Only cuz it's truuuuuuuue! Most importantly, the killing school trip wasn't just for your sake!

...Huh?

: There was a more important goal there. The goal of luring a specific group of people...
: Ah, since now's a great time, why don't we make that the question?
: ...Q-Question?

: As long as we're in the game world, the rules say I gotta ask questions every now and then. Sooooooo, question! Who did I lure and how did I do it!?
: The hint is...I get bored easily, so the same outcome as the killing school life would be a pain in the rear end!

: Okie-dokie, let's alllll think about it together!

The same outcome as the killing school life... Do I just have to remember what occurred there?

The people Junko lured... The method...

I should try connecting those dots. There should be an answer there...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

FPzero posted:

: There's a looooooooot of kinky things you can do with big girls.
: ...Shut up.

: B-Byakuya...you're alive...! But you're so skinny now... I feel so bad for you!
: ...You shut up, too.

I missed his assholery. Fake Byakuya was way too nice. :allears:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I had a big stupid grin on my face at the arrival of Real Naegi and the old team assembling again.

But... possibly we're not meant to think about this so hard, but if they were aware of Junkos plan prior to this, what was to stop them from just unhooking all the coma patients from the game so that she couldn't upload herself? Or if that were impossible without disrupting the entire program...restrain them somehow before it happens, or idk, smother them with a pillow.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

FPzero posted:

: So how about it? There are eight people now. We have enough to activate the shutdown sequence!

Music fades out.

And there she is at last.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

The weird way they keep going back and forth about the word 'chumps' makes me feel a weird translation choice was made there.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Zoe posted:

I had a big stupid grin on my face at the arrival of Real Naegi and the old team assembling again.

But... possibly we're not meant to think about this so hard, but if they were aware of Junkos plan prior to this, what was to stop them from just unhooking all the coma patients from the game so that she couldn't upload herself? Or if that were impossible without disrupting the entire program...restrain them somehow before it happens, or idk, smother them with a pillow.

I mean, the whole reason this sim exists in the first place is their refusal to kill the remnants of despair.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Are the hamsters real or are they just parts of the Neo World Program?

You know, it was a missed opportunity for the devs to not give Sonia the hamsters after Gundham died. She even says she took them for a walk at one point, though admittedly that was in the glitchy moments post trial 5. But we could've had Sonia + Four Dark Devas sprites...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: It's the final Logic Dive in the game and how does it begin? With 20 seconds of nothing but a straight line! (why)

: After that it gets into tricky jumps territory like you'd expect from the final instance of a minigame.

: Last time, Junko was trying to show the world our killing game. But this time, she's probably only showing it to The Future Foundation itself.

> The Future Foundation

: Also watch out, there's a bend in the correct path!

: The jumps get weirder and weirder and we're only in the 2nd part.

: I suppose the killings are the only thing that makes sense. They certainly would get the Future Foundation's attention.

> The killings

: More diamonds...

: More long jumps...

: And then some weird sideways jumps too! Really pulling out all the stops here.

: It's definitely the cameras, but make sure you're spelling it correctly!

> Surveillance cameras

: Althought Surveillance Gamera sounds hilarious too.

: The end is in sight!

: I got it... You used the surveillance cameras...! You were trying to lure the Future Foundation by showing them the footage you were recording, weren't you?
: The surveillance cameras...? That's what they were being used for?
: In the previous killing school life, the surveillance camera footage was broadcast outside of the school...

: You used the cameras that were placed throughout the entire island for the same purpose...
: Ding-ding-ding! I was broadcasting the killing school trip live to every member of the Future Foundation!

: Th-The footage you recorded with the surveillance cameras...was shown to the Future Foundation?
: Wh-What shall I do...? I did a lot of...disgraceful things in front of those cameras!

: You...sure did.
: I will never be Queen now! Please forget what you saw!

: So you guys were watchin' us!? Then why didn't you come rescue us earlier!?
: We tried to hack in many times...but the virus within the program blocked us at every turn.
: Not only that, the Neo World Program stopped accepting shutdown commands from the outside...

: As a last resort, we considered cutting power to the program but...
: We didn't know what would happen to the subjects if we cut the power while the program was still running... There's no way we'd jeopardize your safety by taking such a gamble.
: Even so, we kept trying over and over again, until it was finally possible for us to enter the program just a short time ago.

: And you came all the way here when you knew it was a trap... I get it, you couldn't just leave them alone... If you saw people dying one by one with your own eyes, by the same killing game you guys played...
: Hope dictates that you act all high-and-mighty and say, "I'm definitely gonna stop it this time!", right!?
: Hey...don't tell me...that's the reason you made us go through all this.

Music cuts out.

: Of course we made you do it for that reason!

: We orchestrated this game instead of killing you outright solely to show it off to the Future Foundation!
: W-We were forced to solve puzzles and riddles...just do you could show it off to the Future Foundation?
: That's why you guys are chumps... You're just the bait I used to catch a big fish called the Future Foundation...
: But it's not my fault, you know...

: This game is a fight between the Future Foundation and me. You guys were just instigators in the background...
: But you guys already knew that when you chose to play this game, right?
: Just one second, please! That sounds as though we...

Music cuts out.

: "As though we wanted to come to this world of our own free will." But that's precisely the truth!

...Huh?

: You guys chose to be instigators and you were willingly taken into the Neo World Program...to provide the opportunity I needed to push this battle between hope and despair into overtime...
: That's right! The reason the Ultimate Despairs began killing each other was set up by the group itself!
: Th-That's just your imagination...!
: Ah, naive Makoto totally fell for the trap, and now your face is filled with a lovely shade of despair...
: Well, that despair is fuckin' obvious! You're here to rescue the assholes who set this up in the first place!
: D-Don't go blaming us for this!

: Thank youuuuu! It's all thanks to you guys! This time around, I might be able to fill these guys with despair!
: ...We do not feel despair. Even if this was all a trap, we will never regret coming here...
: And...this is the only thing we could do to stop you.

: But nevertheless, it's all over. We will shut you down and end all of this!
: You're pretty fuckin' desperate! Well...that's pretty fuckin' obvious! If you don't initiate the shutdown, those Future Foundation fuckwits are gonna be trapped here forever!
: T-Trapped...? Why would that happen?
: Puhuhuhuhu-hoo! Didn't I already explain it? You know, the graduation exam rule?

: There are two options: Graduate and Repeat, right? You just have to choose one of them, and press it. All of you will cast your vote, and whichever one has the majority will be considered your final decision!

: But that's not all, right? In order to pass the graduation exam, there was one more requirement.

The other requirement to pass the graduation exam...is...

> Teacher's final decision

: As I recall...we also need the teacher's final decision...

: To participate in the Graduation Program, you need my final say as your teacher, you know?
: Wh-What... Does that mean it won't end with just a majority vote?
: After the vote...I'm going to judge every single one of you to see if it's okay for you to graduate or not.
: So even if we vote, you're saying we won't graduate unless you acknowledge it.

: Obviously, there's no way I'd let the members of the Future Foundation graduate. So if you can't activate the shutdown, the Foundation will enter the endless life of repeating the grade!

: Hmph, that's only if the shutdown sequence doesn't activate, right?
: But that's impossible. Everyone here understands how dangerous it is to release you into the real world.
: W-We know that...all too well...
: I mean...she's been badmouthin' us this whole time...
: ...Oh?

: Looks like you shouldn't have talked so much. Out of the mouth comes evil, so they say.
: It's true that we fell for this trap, and that we run the risk of not being able to go back...
: But what's wrong with that!? Thinking we'd back down because of something like that is a huge mistake!
: That's my line! Thinking your little shutdown plan will succeed is a huge mistake!
: ...Huh?

: You're totally overestimating those chumps over there! There's no way they'll start the shutdown sequence!
: ...Why not?
: Look upon their faces...
: They look like piglets who were forced to watch their mom roasting on a spit...

: There's no fuckin' way they'll initiate the shutdown just to go back to being Ultimate Despair!
: Th-That is...well...
: Junko...I don't care what you say, I've decided to believe in everyone!

: It's true that they walked the wrong path before... But that's all in the past now...
: What I believe in is not their past, but their futures!
: Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss...! I-I was totally waiting for a protagonistic line like that! When I crush you with despair...such ecstasy!

: No matter what you do to me...I will never fall into despair!

Music cuts out.

: Ah, wrong wrong... I'm not the one who's gonna make you fall into despair...

: That's the mastermind's job, and they'll be appearing very soon!
: ...M-Mastermind!?
: Mastermind...? Someone else is comin'...?
: That can't be... It's just...a bluff.

: You should never make the last character who appears in a detective story turn out to be the mastermind.
: But...I always fall into that pattern so I waaaas kinda worried about that.
: Enough already...what are you talking about?

Music cuts out.

: Oh well...let's bring him out with lots of energy! It's...Mr. Izuru Kamukura!

: Izuru...Kamukura...?

That name...I've heard it before. That person was called the Ultimate Hope...

...But that shouldn't be all he was. That's right...I've seen a person called Izuru Kamukura somewhere else... As I recall, that person was...

> The founder of the academy

: Izuru Kamukura... Isn't that the name of the founder of Hope's Peak Academy?

: It was written on the placard beneath the portrait of the academy's founder... That name... It was definitely Izuru Kamukura, right?
: However, based on the information I know, the man known as Izuru Kamukura...
: If I recall, he's a super genius who acquired many talents. He was even called the "Ultimate Hope", right?

: Hm? Does the founder have the same name as that "Ultimate Hope" guy?
: I-Is that kind of coincidence even possible?
: The Future Foundation...might know something, right?
: ...How about it, Kyoko?

: Even within Hope's Peak Academy, there's very little information about a person called Izuru Kamukura... It's a mystery if such a person ever really existed. And not just that, the matter was closed without eve being settled because of that incident...
: If you do not know...then please allow me. Providing hopelessly skilled explanations is a quirk of mine. The reason Izuru's existence continues to be such a mystery...is because the academy hid it.
: Why did the academy hide his existence?

: If I recall, they were trying to protect their superior talent. They even called it mankind's hope, correct?
: However, that prodigious student ended up killing thirteen student council members at Hope's Peak Academy.

: Izuru is the killer responsible for Hope's Peak Academy's biggest, most awful event.

: And you're the one who set it up, right?
: Information about Izuru completely vanished after that incident...
: "We thought Junko Enoshima killed them"? Don't say such cruel things!

Music cuts out.

: Izuru Kamukura is very much alive.

: Isn't that right...Hajime!?

...Huh!?

: Wh-What...? I am...what...?

: Like I said...you're Izuru Kamukura.

: All righty, if you don't understand, I'll explain it to you till you do understand!

: You're Izuru Kamukura you're Izuru Kamukura you're Izuru Kamukura you're Izuru Kamukura you're--

: H-Hold on...! Seriously, what are you talking about!?
: L-Liar... There's no way...there's no way Hajime is Izuru Kamukura!
: Izuru is that Ultimate Hope, right? But Hajime is...

: That's right! Hajime is one of those Reserve Course dropouts and has noooooo talent whatsoever...

Music fades out.

: But the fact that he's really Izuru Kamukura makes all this muuuuuuch more hopeless!

I'm...Izuru...Kamukura...?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sonia not getting the hamsters makes me sad now.

Also, dun dun!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

The weird way they keep going back and forth about the word 'chumps' makes me feel a weird translation choice was made there.

It's very infuriating to have some dead evil teen insulting you.

Like, who does she think she's been programmed to be to take that kind of tone!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

FPzero posted:

: Th-The footage you recorded with the surveillance cameras...was shown to the Future Foundation?
: Wh-What shall I do...? I did a lot of...disgraceful things in front of those cameras!

: You...sure did.
: I will never be Queen now! Please forget what you saw!
please, everyone listen to the delivery on these lines :allears:

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

The plot twists keep on coming.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
Yes, Hajime. Weren't you listening? You're Izuru Kamukura you're Izuru Kamukura you're Izuru Kamukura you're Izuru Kamukura! And everyone is dead, Dave!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh god, how long has Hajime been in here?

Lol at taking anything Junko says at face value.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh... now I get it. Hajime introduced the virus to the system as part of some ridiculously complicated plot.

Izuru was the guy in DR0 right? I think I remember that much.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

FPzero posted:

You know, it was a missed opportunity for the devs to not give Sonia the hamsters after Gundham died. She even says she took them for a walk at one point, though admittedly that was in the glitchy moments post trial 5. But we could've had Sonia + Four Dark Devas sprites...

I'm so retroactively mad at the devs now. Thanks a lot.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

So if this is true, does that mean when Hajime exits the program he'll be in the old guy's body?

That'd be quite a shock, to suddenly wake up 45 or so years older.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Kangra posted:

So if this is true, does that mean when Hajime exits the program he'll be in the old guy's body?

That'd be quite a shock, to suddenly wake up 45 or so years older.

Lunacy.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Deja vu.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

FPzero posted:

WITH THE POWER OF HAMSTERS SHE SHALL REIGN SUPREME!

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So that explains the POV of the Nagito flashback.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I can't believe we didn't look in a mirror this whole time!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Hajime what the hell. Well there's a twist I didn't see coming at least.

FoolyCharged posted:

I mean, the whole reason this sim exists in the first place is their refusal to kill the remnants of despair.

I mean but they're completely brain dead and about to become zombie Junkos and then go on to make more zombie Junkos, it seems like there'd be some kind of last ditch plan in place. Or at least like, tie them up before they wake up...? I'm just not sure about this whole entering the simulation thing and relying entirely on the power of HOPE to make the despair kids do the right thing, even before considering the non zero chance the DR1 crew could get killed somehow and become zombie Junkos too.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Radical lunacy.

Seb
Apr 8, 2003

Soiled Meat

:monocle:

The LP payoff that is happening right now across DR2 & VLR is quite fantastic.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Okay so hang on a second. The shutdown sequence is going to mean Naegi and the others don't remember any of this either, right?

So they won't even know that the Remnants deliberately set this whole thing up intending to unleash the Junko AI out into the world, and meanwhile all the Remnants will know is that something went wrong with their plan. Although I guess if they listen to Naegi they'll realize they must have agreed to turn on Junko for some reason and initiate the shutdown sequence. He'll at least remember that that was the reason he entered the simulation and none of them could have left otherwise.

Actually, having memories wiped won't completely remove every trace of these kids thanks to Junko herself; up until they entered the school(?) she was broadcasting the whole thing, so presumably they could all watch their high school selves; normal, likeable people getting manipulated by Junko.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

FPzero posted:

This would have been amazing. :allears:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

FPzero posted:

: It's definitely the cameras, but make sure you're spelling it correctly!

> Surveillance cameras

: Althought Surveillance Gamera sounds hilarious too.

Gamera ain't got time for that bullshit.

Friend to All Children would gently caress Monobear up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zoe posted:

Okay so hang on a second. The shutdown sequence is going to mean Naegi and the others don't remember any of this either, right?

No. Naegi and Co. did not lose memories upon entering the machine.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

No. Naegi and Co. did not lose memories upon entering the machine.

Right, but the memories they're making now are being made by their avatars, and so won't go to their bodies unless the avatars get reuploaded to their bodies. Any memories made in the simulation aren't copied to their brains unless the reupload happens.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...so this is a second secret trap. If everybody shuts down the machine, that'll also wake up noted murderman Izuru Kamakura?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Glazius posted:

...so this is a second secret trap. If everybody shuts down the machine, that'll also wake up noted murderman Izuru Kamakura?

Yes, looks like it.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

: Good news, Hajime!
: Even though you were mocked for being a Reserve Course Student...
: He had a talent all along! Ultimate Hope!
: How can someone from the Reserve Course...
: ...have such an amazing talent like that?
: In order to hide Izuru's identity...
: ...was he hidden in the Reserve Course?
: Then Hajime's name is fake?
: Th-There's no doubt I'm Hajime Hinata!
: I've always had that name, ever since I was born!
: Then Izuru is your fake name?
: Hey, you weren't lying to us, right?
: I do not want any more last minute plot twists...
: Could it be created hope...?
: That might be Izuru...

I'm the Ultimate Hope...? Then the current me...and Izuru Kamukura are...?

What did Hope's Peak Academy do to me...?

: The bombshells are dropping! We're actually Izuru Kamukura? But how could that be?
: I think Makoto might be on to something though, we did read a certain file that mentioned a program to create hope...

> Shoot "created hope" with "Hope Cultivation Plan"

: Created hope... Are you talking about the Hope Cultivation Plan?
: Hope Cultivation Plan...what is that?

: A while back I saw a file kept by the Future Foundation... For many years, Hope's Peak Academy was researching a breakthrough plan to cultivate personal talent.
: It's true it was a breakthrough plan. After all, it was a plan to create the perfect genius.
: C-Create...?

: For the longest time...the Hope Cultivation Plan was the earnest wish of Hope's Peak Academy. In fact, that's why the academy was established. Part of that plan was researching the talents of Ultimates... Because the plan was so important, they adopted the name of the academy's founder...

: ...and called it the Izuru Kamukura Project.
: Izuru Kamukura...Project...?
: Just a little while ago, they were finally able to reach the experimental stage of that plan. From there, they set their sights on the Reserve Course dropouts to use them as...lab rats.

: Wh-Why did they use the Reserve Course as lab rats?
: A plan to create talent artificially requires test subjects that are wholly lacking in talent.
: From that group of Reserve Course students, the one who was finally chosen was...

: Hajime, who stands before you now!
: Wh-Why...me...?
: Because you admired Hope's Peak Academy more than anybody else...

...Huh?

: You still don't get it!? You were used by the Academy! They exploited your feelings of admiration toward hope and talent just to use you as a lab rat!
: What...!
: See, didn't I tell you? The moment you cling to talent and hope, despair has already set in...
: L-Lies... That's...definitely a lie...!

: And, after many shurprishesh, Hajime Hinata wash transhformed into Izuru 1.0!
: Did you say..."transformed"?
: What did they...do to him?
: Unless you're willing to go to extremes, it's impossible to change a normal person into a perfect genius. So naturally, they went to extremes.

: By directly interfering with his brain, Hope's Peak Academy transformed Hajime Hinata into a completely different person whose specialty is talent itself known as Izuru Kamukura.
: Eventually Izuru became an Ultimate Despair thanks to me... But all I did to Izuru was simply break his spirit. That's nothing compared to what Hope's Peak academy did to him. Not even close...
: Seriously, it's scary how determined the researchers were to mess with the human brain *that* much. Doing such inhumane acts that nobody else is capable of with such a calm mind and a steady hand... I admire it sooooooo much it makes my mind numb!

: By the way, you're just a simple avatar right now, so even if you touch your head, you won't feel the scar.
: ...Gh!

: D-Did they...really do something like that...?
: But if ya think about it... If Hajime gets outta here, he's gonna be a super genius, right...?
: Like I said, he's not Hajime, he's a completely different person whose specialty is talent itself!
: D-Different person...? How is he different?

: All of his senses, emotions, thoughts, and hobbies that interfere with acquiring talent have been excised...
: All of his memories of the past have been forcefully suppressed into the darkest recesses of his mind...
: ...Huh!?

: Emotions, thoughts, hobbies... H-He doesn't even have a memory...?
: It sounds like he is a completely different person.
: So that's why it's so surprising that Hajime even exists here at all...even if he's just an avatar.

: The Neo World Program must've dug up those memories and rebuilt his old personality from data from the past...
: I cannot help but feel impressed that the Neo World Program was able to accomplish such a feat.
: But as for Hajime... He probably would've been better off if he stayed erased.

: Th-Then... When Hajime returned to his original state after the shutdown...

: He'll disappear.

: D-Dis...appear...?
: All that will remain is Izuru Kamukura, an entirely different personality created by Hope's Peak Academy.

: He will no longer be Hajime Hinata.

D-Disappear...

I'm...going to disappear...?

Disappear...

Disappear...disappear...

Disappear...disappear...disappear...

Disappear...disappear...disappear...disappear...disappear...disappear...disappear...disappear...disappear...disappear...

: But...no matter what happens, it's of no concern to me.
: I will not be able to participate in what lies ahead.
: Hm? Really...? I don't really understand, but... I guess we have to part ways for a while. That's disappointing...we seemed to get along pretty well.
: ...Hey, can I see you again?
: There is no reason we'll ever meet again. After all...you are boring...
: Your talent, your thoughts, your entire existence is boring to me...
: ...You really don't play along, do you?

: ...Ahh...ahhhhh...AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
: H-Hajime...!?

: Was that...me...?

: N-No...! That...that's not me...!

: That's what you are! That's who Izuru Kamukura is! You're the one who brought me into this world! You're Izuru Kamukura, the mastermind behind all of this!

: Could it be...? The one who uploaded you into the Neo World Program was...?
: I-It's not me...!
: Just so you know, as long as your brain has been messed with, you can't undo it no matter how hard you try.

: Th-Then...I-I...
: "Have no way to be saved", you say? But you already know what you must do!

I do...?

I-I... I already know...how I can be saved...?

> Choose "Graduate"

: I-I see... I just need to choose "Graduate" then...huh...
: Huh!?

: In that case, the Hajime avatar will be uploaded into his real body... So Hajime will be safely reborn! Truly a royal road to a hopeless happy ending!

: Hold on...you can't do that...!
: I-If you do that... Everyone who died will be taken over by Junko's Alter Ego...
: Like, if you guys don't start the shutdown, the Future Foundation will be trapped here!

: I can't allow the Future Foundation to sacrifice themselves for the Ultimate Despairs...
: Jeez, you should've said so before! You guys aren't honest at all!
: That's not it...what we're saying is...
: "We have to protect the world from despair", you say? Okay okay, that's getting soooooooo old!

: Do you reaaaaaally hafta sacrifice yourselves just to protect the world in the first place? What if the world's hope is different from your hope? Even if the world is happen, it's meaningless if you aren't happy.
: Th-That's...

: Plus, the Future Foundation wants to kill all the Ultimate Despairs, right? Once you go back to being Ultimate Despair, the Future Foundation's punishment time will activate...
: ...It would be absolutely dreaaaaaaaaaadful if that were to happen!

: N-Not just dreadful...
: It's rather....loving hopeless don't ya think? GYAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
: ...And can you guys even endure that?

: Everything that happened here will just end up being a meaningless game... Everything you felt...awe, friendship, love... There won't even be save data left of it... The girl you love and the guy you hate grow weaker and skinnier each day they lay immobilized...

: And in Hajime's case, his very existence is going to disappear...all because of the academy he loves so much.

: Will you be able to endure such despair? Who are you going to endure it for? For people you've never met before? For people who don't even appreciate you?

: ...Does that sound like "hope" to you?

: You can't believe her...! That's how she works...!
: That's what she does...so she can lure you all toward despair.
: There is no reason to listen to her. Hurry up and start the shutdown...
: H-Hold on!

: ...What is it!? Why are we still waiting? Do you still not understand what's going to happen to the real world if Junko escapes...!?
: N-No...I was just...
: How many victims do you think the biggest, most awful, most tragic event in human history has claimed...!?

: Right now...it's finally started to calm down... If Junko Enoshima makes it to the real world, countless victims will fill the streets... The world will regress to an era of bloodshed, chaos, and worldwide rioting...
: So that's why you're telling them to start the shutdown sequence? To prevent that?

: You're telling them to turn back into Ultimate Despair and lose all the memories they made in this world. even among them, there are those who will simply cease to exist, and you're telling them to just deal with it?

: At this point...this is the only way...
: No no no, there is *another* way.

: As long as they choose to Graduate, they can pass along their avatar's memories...and everyone here will be able to hold hands and keep on living. Well, everyone who died will be taken over by me but don't you think that's a better fate than being a vegetable for the rest of their life?

: You guys...you can't buy into this... Think carefully about which is true hope...

: ...And which is true despair!

: U-Um...what shall we do?

: You're asking us...?

: Y-You're telling us...to decide?

: Dammit...why'd it turn out like this...?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

FPzero posted:

: N-No...! That...that's not me...!

quote:

Poor Hajime, missing the 'accept your shadow and gain a persona' option.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Poor Hajime's fragile mind is shattering under the knowledge of how silly his hair looked.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
AHAHAHAHA, Hajime, your hair!

....uh, the rest is very emotional and tense, wow.

But the hair! :laugh:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

How can he be Ultimate Hope without the Ultimate Ahoge!?

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Haircuts are boring, apparently.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

How can he be Ultimate Hope without the Ultimate Ahoge!?

Hope’s Peak have terrible taste in what makes the Ultimate Hope obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
And now I wonder why Hope Peak kept going for so long, when the truth of it was that it was a super-soldier program. You would think someone would have acted and ruined its rep before Junko and company even had a chance to enroll. Oh well, its just the stuff of a game, even if doesn't make sense you have to sort of go with or else the game falls apart.

• Locked thread