Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Being unemployed means you hold exactly zero cards in your hand, and the fact you even have more than one offer at the same time is an extremely fortunate position for an unemployed person to be in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

qhat posted:

Being unemployed means you find literally zero cards, and the fact you even have more than one offer at the same time is an extremely fortunate position for an unemployed person to be in.

its a strange feeling and im not sure how much of it is due to my own virtues

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

anyway yeah im taking company B's offer and just dealing with the hilarious commute for a few months

now to break the news to company A

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i probably would have done the same, but i would try to move sooner. paying a lease penalty might be worth it to save many hours of your life

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

haha ask them to cover a few months of rent as a signing bonus

unfortunately poo poo here in boston is often on a june-september cycle so i cant just up and move whenever i want, if i want good options

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Penisface posted:

That would require a Linkedin account which I consider a sort of scrub thing to be honest.

incorrect

add all the former coworkers that you liked, they will have good leads and you may even have good leads for them

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

that said, using linkedin like its a blog is indeed scrub tier

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pollyanna posted:

haha ask them to cover a few months of rent as a signing bonus

unfortunately poo poo here in boston is often on a june-september cycle so i cant just up and move whenever i want, if i want good options

yes. make sure it's a signing bonus too. "moving expenses" gives too much wiggle room.

ex: once had a job offering a few thousand in moving expenses, w/ receipts. I moved at an odd time so it took a couple months to fill the apartment. when i tried to turn in receipts for that they said that rent was not a moving expense per their "policy" which i did not see before i was hired (probably because it wasn't written down :shrug:)

this was the beginning of my adventures with the "trickster genie" school of HR

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

im still very close in terms of geography and location, and im planning on driving in when i can (or maybe not, we'll find out) - its just that i have to drive on congested boston main roads during rush hours. i dont think i can play the "gib me relocation" card this time

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Progressive JPEG posted:

that said, using linkedin like its a blog is indeed scrub tier

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

There's one UK/US tech recruitment firm which, at least on the basis of the LinkedIn messages I receive, exclusively employees young blond women.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

LinkedIn is only good for checking out a specific company and seeing if there's anyone you know that works there who can refer you. All the advice I've seen posted by people there is universally bad, like 1950s don't mention you're black bad.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pollyanna posted:

im still very close in terms of geography and location, and im planning on driving in when i can (or maybe not, we'll find out) - its just that i have to drive on congested boston main roads during rush hours. i dont think i can play the "gib me relocation" card this time

where's the new place? i assume 'cause you mention driving that it's burlington or woburn or somewhere around 128. iirc you still live in the city, don't you?

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

normally i would agree with you, but...if i dont push for professional development, then that makes it more likely that ill be out of a job in the future/get obsoleted. i want a job now *and* tomorrow :saddowns:

and i am definitely getting *a* job, and the good thing is that the one im looking at right now is pretty drat good

Every job has room for professional development. It's the basic nature of the whole social construct - you have a bunch of people trying to make money by solving both clients' problems and also making their internal process more efficient and productive. As you become more familiar with your workplace you will always find places where there's room to use your problem solving skills to improve something.

The frustrating part comes in where you have gotten used to the company, see all inefficiencies but are not allowed to make substantial fixes or changes without being given any reason beyond "just because". But this you won't know for certain unless you have invested some time in the company because what company is going to let new hires walk in the door and start rearranging everything.

Progressive JPEG posted:

incorrect

add all the former coworkers that you liked, they will have good leads and you may even have good leads for them

The paradox here is that in my neck of the woods the only type of people who use linkedin were absolutely the type I could not stand and would rather not associate with. This and the fact that I understand linkedin has already created some loving shadow profile for me are kind of offputting.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

im in east boston, new place is near kendall square

when i lyfted it it was easily like ~40 min

and you have a good point re development...ill wait until im settled in to worry about that i think

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

for now im gonna crash cuz flu, or something like it

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Pollyanna posted:

and you have a good point re development...ill wait until im settled in to worry about that i think

lmao take the t wtf

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I am not sure how well this advice holds up in the US, but my last Tokyo commute was around 7km by bicycle one way and most days it took around 35 minutes door to door. If the distance is less than that I would definitely try to bike it, but this depends heavily on the traffic culture and congestion on whatever route you take.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

tokyo is much more amenable to cyclists than boston is, and even the T is still about 39 minutes according to google maps

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

What's the average commute like though? I have heard people here do like 1hr+ one way and my commutes before coming to Japan were like 20 minutes on foot tops. I was OK with 30+ minutes one way on the bike because it also provided much needed physical exercise, but spending that time on the train is bullshit.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pollyanna posted:

tokyo is much more amenable to cyclists than boston is, and even the T is still about 39 minutes according to google maps

The t is cheaper. Boston has a good public transit situation if my visits were anything to judge by.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

cis autodrag posted:

The t is cheaper. Boston has a good public transit situation if my visits were anything to judge by.

it's showing its age but literally better than 98% of public transportation in this country

which isn't saying much but you know

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Pollyanna posted:

that's a pretty average commute. if I leave my house at 7 I'm in the office by 7:30-7:40

you gonna learn to compromise somewhere. a 40 minute commute by train is nothing

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

maybe getting up and going in the morning will be easier now that i have a cpap

im just terrible with long(?) commutes, especially if i want to cook dinner

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Pollyanna posted:

maybe getting up and going in the morning will be easier now that i have a cpap

im just terrible with long(?) commutes, especially if i want to cook dinner

40 minutes isn't long

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

im a wimp ok

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lmao 40 mins on a train is a piss easy commute

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

why would you drive when it isn't faster at all??????

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i dunno, i’ve managed to keep my commute under 20 mins for the last few years so 40 sounds pretty long to me.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

jony neuemonic posted:

i dunno, i’ve managed to keep my commute under 20 mins for the last few years so 40 sounds pretty long to me.

40 is only long if you can't read during it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

40 driving is bad, 40 on a train is easy.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
are we talking 40 total or 15 walking to train, 15-30 waiting on train 40 on train and another 10-15 to your apt

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

40 driving is bad, 40 on a train is easy.

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

i have 10 on the bus and 10 of walking. used to just have 20 mins of walking which was the best.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Caganer posted:

are we talking 40 total or 15 walking to train, 15-30 waiting on train 40 on train and another 10-15 to your apt

total:

Pollyanna posted:

Pollyanna posted:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

i have 40 minutes low-traffic driving followed by 30 minutes on a train followed by 10 minutes biking

however i only do this twice or occasionally three times a week

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
God loving dammit, in what world is 40 minutes door2door via train hellish commute?

Pollyanna, what kind of commute is acceptable to you? Your bed magically teleporting into your work place and dumping you into the chair?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

40 is great either by car or train

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

Caganer posted:

who cares you can stand at the bus stop on your phone doing whatever

a lovely commute is one you have to be actively paying attention during

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
40 minutes on the T is trivial. put your headphones in and read a book, jfc.