Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Pro tip: instead of playing bronze cards, consider playing gold cards. They are much more powerful!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Btw I think this deck is actually busted:

Emhyr

Leo Boner
Royal Decree
Vesemir
Stefan Skerton

Pizzarella
Marching Orders
ADC
Runestone (could be any alch card)
Mandrake
Last Wish

3x Nilf Knight
3x Manga division
3x wyvern shield
3x spotter
2x recon
1x wyvern spear

You get the knight -> emhyr + Vesemir/Mandrake very often. Then you bonhart using the knight and try to not play into scorch with your spotters. I haven't bricked my spotters in about 7 games. I lost to some filavandrel deck with too many answers (and i misplayed my spotters) and to an alchemy player who was top 100 in January who mandraked my knught turn 1 and vilgefortzed my second knight (I misplayed a lot as well). If you want to hit rank 15 fast to get back to arena would recommend this.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 2, 2018

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

No Wave posted:

Emhyr

Leo Boner
Royal Decree
Vesemir
Stefan Skerton

Pizzarella
Marching Orders
ADC
Runestone (could be any alch card)
Mandrake
Last Wish

3x Nilf Knight
3x Manga division
3x wyvern shield
3x spotter
2x recon
1x wyvern spear

You get the knight -> emhyr + Vesemir/Mandrake very often. Then you bonhart using the knight and try to not play into scorch with your spotters. Uninteresting to play but seems completely nuts.

That's just a worse version of swim's handbuff nilfgaard. It was run for about a week until people figured out how to play against it. It's busted if you have literally no answers in your deck but it's not a tier one deck. Definitely can still pull off wins with it though

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I didn't play during dwarves, but answers for which card? the knight? There aren't many cards people play now that can kill a nilf knight. Most decks only have 1, max 2 ways of killing or mandraking it right now. Dagon has nothing, alchemy only has mandrake and vilg, skellige only has coral, elves only has schirru, henselt only has scorch. I guess I can play it more and see what the proper strategy against it ends up being.

i looked up the swim version and this one would certainly lose to it as swim's plays more points, but this one has a little more redundancy by running three knights (and a 12 str bronze isn't that atrocious to have to play out)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Mar 2, 2018

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

No Wave posted:

I didn't play during dwarves, but answers for which card? the knight? There aren't many cards people play now that can kill a nilf knight. Most decks only have 1, max 2 ways of killing or mandraking it right now. Dagon has nothing, alchemy only has mandrake and vilg, skellige only has coral, elves only has schirru. I guess I can play it more and see what the proper strategy against it ends up being.

i looked up the swim version and this one would certainly lose to it as swim's plays more points, but this one has a little more redundancy by running three knights (and a 12 str bronze isn't that atrocious to have to play out)

So the big thing that I noticed was that a lot of people don't pilot the deck well. They don't try to win r1 hard enough and are afraid of winning it two cards down. Losing r1 makes it so rough for this deck because you just get bled in r2 and have a much weaker r3.

I can't speak for all factions but I was playing scorch a tael back then and was able to handle that deck fairly well. Isengrim to pull scorch, schirru as well, eithne for a third scorch. And then there's Borkh variants too

The deck has fairly limited methods of misaligning your spotters. IIRC there's ointment to randomly buff units but that's always a feelsbad since you get one less spotter. There's also wyvern shield I suppose. It's an overall rough matchup for that deck. I can usually only gently caress with the knight if he's greedy in his buffs and doesn't bounce him back immediately

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Eithne scorch is not a matchup I would feel shame in losing to, i just somehow never see that broken-rear end leader anymore. I have to believe she'll be back, i don't really buy that Francesca is actually any good and people have to have realized how to beat brouver at some point.

I also saw that spotter in Emhyr had a 50% win rate in the last meta report, which indicates that the deck is quite decent right now.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 2, 2018

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

No Wave posted:

Eithne scorch is not a matchup I would feel shame in losing to, i just somehow never see that broken-rear end leader anymore. I have to believe she'll be back, i don't really buy that Francesca is actually any good and people have to have realized how to beat brouver at some point.

I also saw that spotter in Emhyr had a 50% win rate in the last meta report, which indicates that the deck is quite decent right now.

Brouver seems to see play purely for Barcley-Cleaver.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So how exactly do you stop Consume if you don't have access to Sweers? Trying to kill the Nekkers doesn't work and they have A TON of ways to increase their power so it's not like you can stop the consuming itself.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
run the old muzzle mandrake cyprian wiley umas curse (to draw letho) jade figurine renew decoy silver lock card

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008
If you don't have consume techs it's often basically impossible to beat consume. Luckily consume will never be very popular on the ladder because then everyone techs against it and it'll never win.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Oh, alright. I was running Nilfgaard alchemy and I lost 4 games in a row to Monster consume and I felt really dumb :(

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Hope the Nekkers get changed next balance adjustments patch, I feel like 'weaken by 4 / transform this or lose' isn't exactly very exciting to play against.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Captainicus posted:

Hope the Nekkers get changed next balance adjustments patch, I feel like 'weaken by 4 / transform this or lose' isn't exactly very exciting to play against.

i'm sure the right way forward is not to take yet another archetype out of the game, especially one that isn't oppressively good.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

If there was some kind of card that perhaps destroyed cards with a certain keyword, but that keyword was only in one faction, would that be ok? There are still plenty of other consume related cards like yennefer or triss, harpies, arachas, reuhinn, etc. I don't think it is worth keeping around, but hey, it is all speculation because next balance adjustments, because, as we know, another flavour of scoiatel will be top dog again, of course. I'll be skeptical we will ever have more than 3 or 4 archetypes that are actually popular, usually with 1 or 2 ahead of the pack. Currently for me, at least, it is about 60% some flavour of scoiatel elf swarm, 30% alchemy NG, 10% other.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Captainicus posted:

If there was some kind of card that perhaps destroyed cards with a certain keyword, but that keyword was only in one faction, would that be ok?

no, i really dislike this way of balancing the game. i don't want less archetypes in gwent, i want more. i want mill to be a thing, and queensgards, and weather, and whatever other weird thing you can come up with. the answer to decks that aren't fun to play against is to make more decks that you can play that (a) are fun and (b) have a good chance against most other decks.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Arena report : Hawker Support + Imlerith : Sabbath is funny.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

botany posted:

no, i really dislike this way of balancing the game. i don't want less archetypes in gwent, i want more. i want mill to be a thing, and queensgards, and weather, and whatever other weird thing you can come up with. the answer to decks that aren't fun to play against is to make more decks that you can play that (a) are fun and (b) have a good chance against most other decks.

I'm sure there's a balance to be found, I dislike it when it feels like each deck is just do you have remove from play, do you have graveyard targeting cards, etc. Definitely see where you are coming from, I think nekker is slighty over the line, but that's all good. I feel like the problems can happen with 'did create give you a counter' but that's create at work :v:

Judging by current record though, every update will give us a new deck that doesn't interact with the opponent at all and get lots of 15+ points bronze cards

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

botany posted:

galaxy brain: continue down the route arena started and continue to kneecap and cripple the rest of the remaining cards to Properly Balance the upcoming thronebreaker pve mode

universal brain: spam post r/gwent with "artifact waiting station"

beyond the constraints of physics brain: stop playing card games

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

I feel Nilf Alchemy is less fun to play against because it feels like they play your deck, but can remove everything you play.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
nilfgaard alchemy is just an officially sanctioned and stronger version of spellatael

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So, I've just jumped into this game, and it is definately very different than other CCGs. If I've just completed the boot-up tutorial, what should I do? Can I do the single player challenge things with my starting cards?

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Yes, you should do those first to get the leader cards

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

lmao this deck looks fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvPCfj47Ark

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I had an arena deck with 5 bronzes, which is easy to win with but i still almost found ways to throw (I almost conceded - like was in the middle of pushing the button as I rage threw my last card, a dead Cahir onto the board, only to see my opponent's usurper come up as an option).

i think bronze count is the more informative metric of a deck's strength than gold count. Bronzes that aren't hawker smuggler basically just suck.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I'm not a real arena fan so I've only played the few free runs, but I definitely feel like the toughest opponents are the ones who play the fewest bronzes. I got an easy 9 wins when I was very lucky to have a deck with only two bronzes, which I never ended up having to play.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

So, I've watched some matches, and I'm a bit confused about some of the plays people make. What's the point to straight up passing the first turn you get in a round? Is the redraw that big of a deal to forfeit an entire round?

Why is it better to go second?

I've played some of the AI matches, and they seem very easy so far. However, I'm still not very comfortable with passing. When's the best time to do this?

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Roluth posted:

So, I've watched some matches, and I'm a bit confused about some of the plays people make. What's the point to straight up passing the first turn you get in a round? Is the redraw that big of a deal to forfeit an entire round?

Why is it better to go second?

I've played some of the AI matches, and they seem very easy so far. However, I'm still not very comfortable with passing. When's the best time to do this?

Going second is better because it is much easier to try and make your opponent have to play two cards in order to beat you, so they have an advantage of two cards for later rounds. Generally speaking, it is very hard to win when you have two cards fewer than your opponent. If you go second and your opponent doesn't overcome your points advantage on any given turn, you can pass and gain that card advantage. This can get even worse if the player going second has their silver agent card, to gain even more control of card advantage.

Second is also very useful if your deck is full of reactive cards that target your enemy units or hazards, so you never have a 'missed' first turn in which you play something without anything to target.

As a general, new player rule, I'd say you should pass if you can gain a card advantage of two like I mentioned earlier. Also, if you win the first round and your opponent has no cards that carry over in to the second round like Olgierd or Morkvarg, you can pass the second round to force your opponent to play something while you don't have to, to gain a small card advantage. Card advantage is very useful so that you can play cards without your opponent being able to respond at the end of the round, especially with cards like Scorch.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Captainicus posted:

Going second is better because it is much easier to try and make your opponent have to play two cards in order to beat you, so they have an advantage of two cards for later rounds. Generally speaking, it is very hard to win when you have two cards fewer than your opponent. If you go second and your opponent doesn't overcome your points advantage on any given turn, you can pass and gain that card advantage. This can get even worse if the player going second has their silver agent card, to gain even more control of card advantage.

Second is also very useful if your deck is full of reactive cards that target your enemy units or hazards, so you never have a 'missed' first turn in which you play something without anything to target.

As a general, new player rule, I'd say you should pass if you can gain a card advantage of two like I mentioned earlier. Also, if you win the first round and your opponent has no cards that carry over in to the second round like Olgierd or Morkvarg, you can pass the second round to force your opponent to play something while you don't have to, to gain a small card advantage. Card advantage is very useful so that you can play cards without your opponent being able to respond at the end of the round, especially with cards like Scorch.

So, card advantage is everything? Even so, I'm not sure why the 13-strength spy cards are played so often. They seem pretty good for sifting, but a 13-point swing against you seems pretty big. What's the reason for this? (EDIT: Well, other than the specific case you stated.)

Estraysian
Dec 29, 2008

Roluth posted:

So, card advantage is everything? Even so, I'm not sure why the 13-strength spy cards are played so often. They seem pretty good for sifting, but a 13-point swing against you seems pretty big. What's the reason for this? (EDIT: Well, other than the specific case you stated.)

Play a CA spy in a round you don't intend to win and the 13 points don't matter at all. Card advantage is basically everything in Gwent and proper use of spies and round/coin flip manipulation is almost required to win at a high level.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
Arena, how I love you.

Currently having 4 golds, 6 silvers and no changes.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

No Wave posted:

This version benefited a lot from removing a knight, adding a recon, removing the runestone, adding assire instead to put spotters or magnes back into your deck, switching last wish for glorious hunt, and swapping skellen for Letho.

Queueing into the dumb imlerith decks with this one is very funny.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Mar 7, 2018

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
Soo, I want back in but the last time I played there were resurrections and poo poo. Now NR is a mess and there are too many cards! What can I do on the cheap with them?

Also, golds are getting wrecked. There's no immunity anymore!

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Mar 7, 2018

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"

Tafferling posted:

Soo, I want back in but the last time I played there were resurrections and poo poo. Now NR is a mess and there are too many cards! What can I do on the cheap with them?

Also, golds are getting wrecked. There's no immunity anymore!

Big rear end golds are mostly dead outside Ciri:Nova, but they're still the best cards. Lot of them have unique abilities and lot of utility, compared to silvers/bronze.

NR has couple of good archetypes:
Foltest and power 3 temerians. It basically vomits out lot of troops that get buffed up high. Uses mostly old cards.
Foltest, Blue stripe scouts and field medics all boost your forces, with reaver scouts and reinforcements fetching those guys.

Curse decks are viable, but if you haven't played after they came out, you'll have to craft most of the deck.
They're usually based on Kaedwani revenants and Tormented mages casting spells to get revenanants to multiply.

Henselts machine decks are fun and have mostly older cards with couple of new ones.
These deck usually have 2-3 different siege machines and winch event, which creates a choice of 3 machines. Idea is to either create a machine that you have 3 in the deck or 1 in hand and 2 in the deck and then use Henselt to summon rest of them from the deck. You usually mulligan excess machines from your hand to enable these tactics.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
Yeah, I just bought some winches and my henselt ballista-rams deck is downright murderous. I don't even have optimal gold-silvers for it but it just doesn't care.

I tried a Foltest spam deck and while it's fun it needs much more card optimization to function. And since I started from level 13(I thought there would be some sort of rank degradation over time... WTF?) I keep getting wrecked

Tafferling fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Mar 8, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Henselt is pretty insane right now yeah. Not a leader I'm ever happy to face but ladder seems to be 90% alchemy regardless.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Didn't play last season so I've been leveling through wood league with Shupenanigans, but today I decided to try out some Henselt and this deck is good fun. I didn't realize how much I missed playing decks that just build up a shitload of power.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT

Kalko posted:

Didn't play last season so I've been leveling through wood league with Shupenanigans, but today I decided to try out some Henselt and this deck is good fun. I didn't realize how much I missed playing decks that just build up a shitload of power.

It's not even a machine deck anymore!

How did you manage to have all your bronze cards in triplets? I need reaver scouts to fish them out reliably

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

God help me, I'm honestly thinking of making an Ihuarraquax deck.

That horse looked terrible at first glance, but once I was reminded that Stefan makes it trigger automatically I couldn't resist the jank. :negative:

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Embrace the jank! I saw a ST version with Hawker Supports, the swap dudes and Royal Decree too but NG is probably better.

Tafferling posted:

It's not even a machine deck anymore!

How did you manage to have all your bronze cards in triplets? I need reaver scouts to fish them out reliably

Yeah, it's not a regular Henselt deck. It has a lot of thinning so you almost always end up going through the whole deck, and the fact that you're playing to 2-round your opponent catches a lot of people off-guard. I steamrolled my way to 15 dropping only a couple of games, which isn't saying much since most netdecks could do the same, but I was surprised at how well it handled decks that have a lot of removal. Or maybe I've just been lucky since my sample size is still kind of small.

edit : just played an Alchemy NG who did the Mandrake -> Calveit move in R2. Sorry, buddy, there ain't gonna be a R3!

Kalko fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

It's me, I'm the noob who's still running a dwarf deck. And on my scrub level it's decent enough. I've been doing Ale of the Ancients + Mahakam Marauder as an engine. It's really easy to counterattack but when it works it's great