Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Edward Mass posted:

Is there really a demand for a new Quantum Leap? Can't we just, you know, have something original?
We're getting a reboot of Greatest American Hero, we can tolerate a reboot of Quantum Leap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Well, time to get back to my spec script, then. It's about man's inhumanity to man...in outer space...but everybody acts like it's the 1970s.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe
So you're saying it's time to pitch my spec script for a dark and gritty Space: 1999 reboot?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

howe_sam posted:

We're getting a reboot of Greatest American Hero

If he (or she) doesn't loving fly like they're barreling out of control down a ski-slope I'm gonna be pissed.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Edward Mass posted:

Is there really a demand for a new Quantum Leap? Can't we just, you know, have something original?

Such as Travellers?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Edward Mass posted:

(I realize I'm saying this in a thread for a show that got revived 16 years after cancellation)

Honestly, I could use more optimistic sci-fi on my screen, and QL was nothing if not hopeful in tone.

And we totally saw what the back end of Project Quantum Leap looked like! And honestly, by going off the wall with its coloured block scheme, it didn’t really date.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

howe_sam posted:

We're getting a reboot of Greatest American Hero, we can tolerate a reboot of Quantum Leap.

I don’t know why they’re doing that. No goddamn Robert Culp anymore. :arghfist::(

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly, I could use more optimistic sci-fi on my screen, and QL was nothing if not hopeful in tone.

And we totally saw what the back end of Project Quantum Leap looked like! And honestly, by going off the wall with its coloured block scheme, it didn’t really date.

I just wish we could have a Bluetooth TV remote or something that looks like Al's device.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Quantum Leap would do great on a service like Netflix now given the nostalgia kick that movies/tv are on lately. The can at least reuse some Stranger Things stuff for a 1980s episode.

Dr. Gargunza posted:

So you're saying it's time to pitch my spec script for a dark and gritty Space: 1999 reboot?

I legitimately have said for years that a Space 1999 reboot could actually be good.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

Maelstache posted:

If they cast a younger actor to replace Sam, I guess you'd have to shift the time-frame to have the show be about Millennial nostalgia, as opposed to baby boomer nostalgia like the original was. That's assuming they'd stick to the rule about only leaping within the leaper's lifetime.

Now I really hope a continuation never happens. I’m envisioning an episode where nu-Sam thinks she/he is there to stop Columbine or 9/11, but really is there to save somebody’s dog that ran out into traffic or whatever.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/claytonhickman/status/970023733506211845

https://twitter.com/seanpertwee/status/970286524016287745

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Servoret posted:

Now I really hope a continuation never happens. I’m envisioning an episode where nu-Sam thinks she/he is there to stop Columbine or 9/11, but really is there to save somebody’s dog that ran out into traffic or whatever.

This is probably the ultimate reason why QL can't be remade today. A lot of the plots dealt with controversial topics the show would get castigated for dealing with now--civil rights and race relatiions, religion, historical events like the JFK assassintion, the Downs episode, mental health, war, etc. And often it was a misdirection and they didn't take the predictable plot route. Even though QL tended to be nuanced and is known for being sensitive, some people would be very offended about some aspect of it.

I mean, there a lot of people in this thread who EXTREMELY WORRIED :ohdear: about the very idea that a white male showrun show starring a white woman might touch on the US civil rights movement. QL would do this like, every week. And casting a woke POC female as the lead wouldn't necessarily be a solution--if any of the showrunners, writers, and directors were white males the ability of the show to touch on certain topics would be greeted with scathing blog posts, The Root and IO9 articles blasting it, and boycotts.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I think most people probably wouldn't care either way, to be honest

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Remember about 10 years ago there was a Bionic Woman reboot starring Michelle Ryan which lasted about four episodes? I never saw it but I found the script for the pilot and it really seemed like an obvious thing to have another go at. Maybe it turned out rubbish. I don't know.

I remain curious about the Shane Black/Fred Dekker reboot of The Avengers I've heard about.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
They’ll have to call it something other than The Avengers, I’d imagine.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

This reminds me how adamant my coworker was that Marvel would be hosed when the time came to title the first Avengers film. And holy poo poo was he angry when proven wrong. Like, 5 years later he was still being a bitch about it.

Also I can't believe there are no phone cases that look like Al's hand unit from QL.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

"Steed and Peel" or something like that (everyone forgets that Honor Blackman was the co-star for a couple of years before Diana Rigg showed up).

Rhyno posted:

This reminds me how adamant my coworker was that Marvel would be hosed when the time came to title the first Avengers film. And holy poo poo was he angry when proven wrong. Like, 5 years later he was still being a bitch about it.

In the UK it was officially called Avengers Assemble entirely because of the movie with Ralph Fiennes and Uma Thurman from 20 years ago.

Frankly if Black and Dekker were going to reboot something, it should be A Nero Wolfe Mystery with Robbie Amell as Archie and Chi McBride as Wolfe. :allears:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 4, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Nero Wolfe, but modern day is an idea that works almost too well.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
Nero Wolfe, modern day, and keep the mostly-ensemble cast approach that the A&E series used.

goddammit, I miss that show.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

howe_sam posted:

Nero Wolfe, but modern day is an idea that works almost too well.

Wolfe and Archie are literally timeless characters, inasmuch as time passed in the novels but they never aged; Wolfe and Archie were the same people in 1975 (when Stout's last Nero Wolfe story was published) that they were in 1934 (when he started the series). There were some continuation novels written and set in the 1980s and the only thing that really changed was that Archie kept the germination records for Wolfe's orchids on his PC rather than in a filing cabinet. :D

I joked a while ago that this "Sherlock-style Dracula series" Moffat and Gatiss reportedly want to do will be set in 201X, star Alexander Vlahos as Dracula and be called Drac. Well, imagine Moffat and Gatiss doing a Nero Wolfe series: Wolfe would be played by Jamie Dornan, he'd always talk about how he used to be obese, and Archie would be played by Lara Pulver, except she'd cry all the time because Wolfe doesn't love her back. :barf:

Edit: I apologise for this derail; Nero Wolfe is my favourite detective series. :shobon:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 4, 2018

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

Well, imagine Moffat and Gatiss doing a Nero Wolfe series

I'm afraid I must decline with thanks. There's only so much insufferability I can take in my short span of time upon this earth.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

"Steed and Peel" or something like that (everyone forgets that Honor Blackman was the co-star for a couple of years before Diana Rigg showed up).

Everyone forgets that Steed was the sidekick for the first season to another guy, Dr Keel. Honor Blackman didn’t show up till season 2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The_Doctor posted:

Everyone forgets that Steed was the sidekick for the first season to another guy, Dr Keel. Honor Blackman didn’t show up till season 2.

Oh, absolutely, but it's slightly more justified in that case because I'm pretty sure the entire first season is a lost show except for maybe one episode.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

Oh, absolutely, but it's slightly more justified in that case because I'm pretty sure the entire first season is a lost show except for maybe one episode.

Two eps ... oh wait, three eps now. They found one last year!*

*Funny little anecdote about that lost-now-found-ep "Tunnel of Fear". Apparently rumors were abound for years that a fan had an off air audio copy of "Tunnel" in his possession, but refused to allow a copy of it to be released so others could enjoy it. If it's true, it's funny as hell that his audio copy is worthless now.

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

Davros1 posted:

Two eps ... oh wait, three eps now. They found one last year!*

*Funny little anecdote about that lost-now-found-ep "Tunnel of Fear". Apparently rumors were abound for years that a fan had an off air audio copy of "Tunnel" in his possession, but refused to allow a copy of it to be released so others could enjoy it. If it's true, it's funny as hell that his audio copy is worthless now.

I'm suddenly thankful as all hell that none of the Doctor Who fans who recorded the audio of the now-missing episodes as they aired weren't quite so selfish as this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Let's be real, there's at least one DW episode sitting in a private collection somewhere that won't ever see the light of day because the owner never talks about it and is also a dick.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Let's be real, there's at least one DW episode sitting in a private collection somewhere that won't ever see the light of day because the owner never talks about it and is also a dick.

Isn’t it that episode of the Web Of Fear?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Rhyno posted:

I thought Mugabe was ousted.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Edward Mass posted:

I thought Mugabe was ousted.

He was allowed to keep his collection

Ousted from power, never from our hearts

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nah, it's totally some dickbag living in his mom's basement.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Wheat Loaf posted:

Frankly if Black and Dekker were going to reboot something, it should be A Nero Wolfe Mystery with Robbie Amell as Archie and Chi McBride as Wolfe. :allears:

Yes, Nero Wolfe is a great idea. There's multiple stories that I read and swore I'd seen on the TV show, only to discover that I hadn't. Chi has the chops for Wolfe, but if we take A Right to Die seriously, we need to cast a black man as Archie, too.

William Jackson Harper, maybe? Might be too old, especially given that McBride's a bit young for Wolfe. And I don't know how you top Colin Fox as Fritz.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Narsham posted:

Yes, Nero Wolfe is a great idea. There's multiple stories that I read and swore I'd seen on the TV show, only to discover that I hadn't. Chi has the chops for Wolfe, but if we take A Right to Die seriously, we need to cast a black man as Archie, too.

Is that the one where Wolfe says something like, "If I were a black man, Mr Goodwin would have to be as well," and the inference is that Archie is actually Wolfe's son?

quote:

William Jackson Harper, maybe? Might be too old, especially given that McBride's a bit young for Wolfe. And I don't know how you top Colin Fox as Fritz.

Chi McBride right now is actually the exact age (56) that Stout always gave as Wolfe's in the novels. :eng101:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Senor Tron posted:

I legitimately have said for years that a Space 1999 reboot could actually be good.
There was a supposedly official Space: 2099 show in development, but I haven't heard anything new about it for a few years. It's probably gone the same way as the Blake's 7 reboot(s) that have been talked about but never happened.

They 'reimagined' (hosed with) the design of the Eagle a bit too much in their concept art, to my mind. "What's the single most iconic and memorable thing about the old show? Yeah, we're gonna JJ that bitch up."

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

FreezingInferno posted:

I'm suddenly thankful as all hell that none of the Doctor Who fans who recorded the audio of the now-missing episodes as they aired weren't quite so selfish as this.

It's more amazing that due to several fans, every episode that's missing has an audio counterpart. I don't think there's another show like that.

Payndz posted:

There was a supposedly official Space: 2099 show in development, but I haven't heard anything new about it for a few years. It's probably gone the same way as the Blake's 7 reboot(s) that have been talked about but never happened.

They 'reimagined' (hosed with) the design of the Eagle a bit too much in their concept art, to my mind. "What's the single most iconic and memorable thing about the old show? Yeah, we're gonna JJ that bitch up."

George Lucas changed the design of Han Solo's ship because it resembled the Eagle too much. It became the blockade runner at the beginning.

Still, the 1999 Eagle became the Millennium Falcon

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Mar 4, 2018

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

Davros1 posted:

George Lucas changed the design of Han Solo's ship because it resembled the Eagle too much. It became the blockade runner at the beginning.

Still, the 1999 Eagle became the Millennium Falcon

I've always been impressed with the capsules-and-girders design of the Eagle. It just screams "utilitarian human-built workhorse." I believe it also influenced the design of the human fleet ship in the Star Control games, though those were meant to be larger to house nuclear missiles and point-defense lasers. (Scale wasn't much of a priority in the early 90's PC gaming scene.)

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Astroman posted:

This is probably the ultimate reason why QL can't be remade today. A lot of the plots dealt with controversial topics the show would get castigated for dealing with now--civil rights and race relatiions, religion, historical events like the JFK assassintion, the Downs episode, mental health, war, etc. And often it was a misdirection and they didn't take the predictable plot route. Even though QL tended to be nuanced and is known for being sensitive, some people would be very offended about some aspect of it.

I mean, there a lot of people in this thread who EXTREMELY WORRIED :ohdear: about the very idea that a white male showrun show starring a white woman might touch on the US civil rights movement. QL would do this like, every week. And casting a woke POC female as the lead wouldn't necessarily be a solution--if any of the showrunners, writers, and directors were white males the ability of the show to touch on certain topics would be greeted with scathing blog posts, The Root and IO9 articles blasting it, and boycotts.

I feel like there's two things that kind of set QL apart from other "white dudes have opinions" shows:

First off, this was sort of the show's brand. It's not like it was doing this out of nowhere, it did it constantly, week-to-week. If this sounded bad to you, you probably wouldn't be paying attention to QL in the first place.

Second off, as you said, it tended to be nuanced and is known for being sensitive. Audience goodwill can really smooth a lot over, and QL built up a lot of it by consistently handling these topics decently and sensitively.

For a reboot, carrying this over would be kind of important; shows only get outright castigated for handling heavy topics if a) it's jarring and outside the show's lane and/or b) they have a history of cocking it up. If a QL reboot tackled heavy issues, even if it were white dudes, people would just be worried up until release and then if it came out and was good and sensitive, everyone would be basically fine.

e: like, South Park doesn't get castigated for the simple fact that Trey Parker and Matt Stone have political opinions, it gets castigated for them having staggeringly awful political opinions that they feel compelled to wedge into a show about kids making dick jokes. BoJack Horseman, meanwhile, is a show ran by a white dude that's political as gently caress, but "woke" people love it, because like QL, it's both defined by handling those topics and incredibly sensitive about them.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If they remake Space 1999 they have to still call it Space 1999 and it still needs to be set in the super-futuristic year of 1999 :mad:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

If they remake Space 1999 they have to still call it Space 1999 and it still needs to be set in the super-futuristic year of 1999 :mad:

And clearly there's only one song they can use as the theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rhyno posted:

And clearly there's only one song they can use as the theme.

Bien sur!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLAsBzOOhLQ

• Locked thread