Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Solice Kirsk posted:

If there was a store that sold discount Hostess Cupcakes I would clear them out every single morning.

There used to be one on the South Side of Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
There still is if I am remembering right. They're called Wonder Bread Outlets or something like that.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
smdh that people will buy nasty-assed irregular wonder bread instead of just buying bread from their local bakery. Hell, buy the day olds from the bakery at half off then freeze it.

content:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shnag posted:

smdh that people will buy nasty-assed irregular wonder bread instead of just buying bread from their local bakery. Hell, buy the day olds from the bakery at half off then freeze it.

Hell yeah :hellyeah: gently caress POOR PEOPLE
and people with different preferences!

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Ferrule posted:

There used to be one on the South Side of Chicago.

In the baddest part of town?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Bloop posted:

They should be making their own for maximum savings.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Yes, apparently in Little Italy.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Solice Kirsk posted:

They should be making their own for maximum savings.

If they have an oven they're clearly not poor :colbert:

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

The Bloop posted:

Um..what? No? Factory bread like wonder bread is usually more expensive than bread from your local bakery. But I guess ymmv. But lol at making bread about gentrification. I loving broke my self. Come on :lol:

Double lol for trying to turn "support your local bakeries" around on me.

edit: I'll plead ignorance to bread stores. As I never heard of them till it was brought up in this tread. So maybe it really is much cheaper. I am just thinking full price at your local grocery store compared to local bakery.

Shnag has a new favorite as of 18:31 on Mar 4, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/bornmiserable/status/865695064722251776

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

and if you go down there, you better just beware

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

and if you go down there, you better just beware

Of a man named Giuseppe Ferrari, apparently.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Bloop posted:

Just pop down to your local bakery, you know, like all neighborhoods have. It's probably right next to your greengrocer and butcher. Just enjoy a leisurely stroll down to your local market street, whistling a jaunty tune as you go.

Shnag posted:

Um..what? No? Factory bread like wonder bread is usually more expensive than bread from your local bakery. But I guess ymmv. But lol at making bread about gentrification. I loving broke my self. Come on :lol:

edit: I'll plead ignorance to bread stores. As I never heard of them till it was brought up in this tread. So maybe it really is much cheaper. I am just thinking full price at your local grocery store compared to local bakery.

Yeah, how the gently caress are these people acting like you're the weird one because you still have a milkman?! Assholes! Get your bread at your local bakery, get your milk delivered from your local dairy, invest in war bonds, grow a victory garden, don't leave your pies to cool on the windowsill because they will get snatched by passing hobos, THIS IS NORMAL poo poo, PEOPLE!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sounds like that would be real handy for a cheap halloween costume. If you want to be Shehulk or Gamora without smearing makeup all over your arms.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Shnag posted:

I usually just pick up a fresh loaf from the bakery when I drop my shoes off at the cobbler for a stretch and polish. Sometimes I'll take a loaf of factory bread to the park. I make it a point to walk towards a vagrant on a bench, reach into the bag as if I were going to offer it to him, and then throw it to the ducks and laugh maniacally while telling him factory bread isn't fit for human consumption. I then reach into my satchel and break off a piece of my fresh loaf and stuff it into my mouth before telling the vagrant "GOOD DAY, SIR". Then, my man servant cranks the car to life and I eat the rest of the loaf on the way home.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

gently caress your "bread factories" a factory that makes bread is literally a bakery.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
As someone who gets normal bread from bakeries (it's the default in this part of the world), I feel sorry for people who have to eat pre-sliced bread from plastic bags. Don't you have at least bakery sections in supermarkets?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Yeah, how the gently caress are these people acting like you're the weird one because you still have a milkman?! Assholes! Get your bread at your local bakery, get your milk delivered from your local dairy, invest in war bonds, grow a victory garden, don't leave your pies to cool on the windowsill because they will get snatched by passing hobos, THIS IS NORMAL poo poo, PEOPLE!

Wow, a Guy Goodbody meltdown!

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

Just pop down to your local bakery, you know, like all neighborhoods have. It's probably right next to your greengrocer and butcher. Just enjoy a leisurely stroll down to your local market street, whistling a jaunty tune as you go.

I had co-workers rip on me because I mentioned buying lasagna from a local bakery. Saying I could have bought a no-name brand frozen lasagna from the grocery store for $5 cheaper (I am sure thrifty people could find that for cheaper still). Because the local one is way better? :confused:

I understand people can be thrifty, but it isn't fair to compare your local farmers market to whole foods because you can buy a pallet of mr.noodles at costco for $25.
I don't have a milkman at the moment, but did growing up, if I had kids I'd probably have one.

Mammal Sauce posted:

I usually just pick up a fresh loaf from the bakery when I drop my shoes off at the cobbler for a stretch and polish. Sometimes I'll take a loaf of factory bread to the park. I make it a point to walk towards a vagrant on a bench, reach into the bag as if I were going to offer it to him, and then throw it to the ducks and laugh maniacally while telling him factory bread isn't fit for human consumption. I then reach into my satchel and break off a piece of my fresh loaf and stuff it into my mouth before telling the vagrant "GOOD DAY, SIR". Then, my man servant cranks the car to life and I eat the rest of the loaf on the way home.

Hmm.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
LMAO at bakeries being some kind of unattainable utopic ideal

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I were rich enough to afford a car I'd probably drive down to Citymarket and buy that sweet sweet cheapo bread but since I'm not rich I have to make do with 40000€ bougie bakery bread.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Doctor Malaver posted:

As someone who gets normal bread from bakeries (it's the default in this part of the world), I feel sorry for people who have to eat pre-sliced bread from plastic bags. Don't you have at least bakery sections in supermarkets?

Yes. And the bread is twice the price of the factory bread and they usually don't carry just a standard white or wheat loaf. I have never been to a bakery where the bread is cheaper than what I get at the grocery store. I am in the US.

Guy Goodbody's meltdown is correct. Most of this stuff isn't available throughout the US anymore.

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

I buy my bread for 99c a loaf at the local Walmart like a real American.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I'm so poor I eat only bark bread.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Kennel posted:

I'm so poor I eat only bark bread.

Luxury! I'm so poor, my bread is just soggy cardboard.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Where the gently caress are you guys living that a bakery isn't with in at least driving distance?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Solice Kirsk posted:

Where the gently caress are you guys living that a bakery isn't with in at least driving distance?

Any ultra-capitalist dystopia.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Are you all hungover something fierce or what. This much anger over bread is more unhealthy than even the shittiest bread!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
Why the gently caress are you even eating easily avoided carbs in the first place

Megera
Sep 9, 2008
let’s just skip to the part where goons start talking about how poor people can just live off rice and beans bought in bulk

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Some parts of the world just have no bakery culture, notably a large portion of the US which then amuses most europeans to no end when an american from these regions speaks of a bakery like it's some sort of victorian-era novelty. I've heard LA has plenty though.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I live in a fairly large city in CA and other than something like Panera I have no clue if there are any actual bakeries here.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Yo guys, here's a lifehack, did you know you can buy the actual INGREDIENTS that BIG PHARMA/BREAD (THEY'RE ALL OWNED BY THE SAME COMPANY, LOOK IT UP!!!) use to make their BREADS from the grocery store?
You can then BAKE the ingredients into you're OWN BREAD.

Throw of the shackles of BIG BREAD and start making you're own bakeries!

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Solice Kirsk posted:

All food is purchased at supermarkets. 100% of foods. Going to a separate bakery, butcher, fish monger, farmer's market, etc. is less convenient than going to a supermarket for everything, so most people don't do it. Therefore over the decades most of those specialized businesses have all but died out. The ones that remain are basically selling the boutique experience, cost more than supermarkets, and only turn up in upscale neighbourhoods. Which makes people who don't have strong opinions about bread even less likely to shop there.

So while even in the most dystopion parts of north america most people will have a real full service bakery within a few miles, it isn't a place they'd ever think to go except for special occasions.

e: WTF, this isn't the argue about bread thread! Okay, gotta bring this post back on topic.

Facebook Aunt has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Mar 4, 2018

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

organburner posted:

Yo guys, here's a lifehack, did you know you can buy the actual INGREDIENTS that BIG PHARMA/BREAD (THEY'RE ALL OWNED BY THE SAME COMPANY, LOOK IT UP!!!) use to make their BREADS from the grocery store?
You can then BAKE the ingredients into you're OWN BREAD.

Throw of the shackles of BIG BREAD and start making you're own bakeries!

Oh look at this bougie gently caress who owns an oven!

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

My local bakery has fresh loaves for $2. I never realized spending $1 more on bread made me judgemental ignorant monster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Also American bakeries seem to exclusively sell sweets