Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Another idea is split up the dialogue with commentary summarizing stuff that was just said and put it into context with what the audience would know so far.

Jamesman posted:

What's keeping you from summarizing instead of doing a text dump?

It depends on the LPer’s style and preferences. I almost always go for full text dumps to give readers as complete a game experience as I can, whether good or bad. Plus you always lose something in translation, so unless I’m being goofy with a game that’s been done a thousand times like I did with FF6, I feel straight transcription is the best way to show off the game. But that’s my preference and I’m not going to complain if others prefer to summarize stuff, because

Blind Sally posted:

in the end, it's a stylistic choice that comes down to how the LPer wants to present it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyarc
Dec 29, 2016

I'm thinking of going with Tendales's example, mainly because it'd require the least amount of reformatting for the 70+ posts I've already done.

Blind Sally posted:

The desire to make the thread suffer through the miles of needless exposition so that they too may truly experience the horrors of a game?

Yeah, basically. Part of the fun is showing off how ridiculous the game's story gets. That full effect just won't come across through paraphrasing.

Anyway, thanks for all the ideas, guys. Hopefully this'll be helpful to other SSLPers, too, especially since there are quite a few good options to choose from.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
I've said it earlier in this thread, but I feel like SSLPs, by nature, provide a trimmed down experience for the viewer/reader. You're picking and choosing parts of the game to show and deciding on what's most important to share, and trying to convey the most information possible in an efficient manner. I would think that cutting out or summarizing dialogue would go along with that.

Is my mindset wrong here? When you go into an SSLP, what kind of experience with the game are you expecting to have? People are saying things like insisting on fully transcribed dialogue or wanting to give a more complete experience, but what, to you, makes a SSLP a unique experience from a VLP?

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Is my mindset wrong here? When you go into an SSLP, what kind of experience with the game are you expecting to have? People are saying things like insisting on fully transcribed dialogue or wanting to give a more complete experience, but what, to you, makes a SSLP a unique experience from a VLP?

The fact that you don't need to watch video for it, which is good in situations where watching video either isn't an option or is a worse one (being on data instead of Wi-Fi on a mobile devices, being somewhere where you can't get the studio anyway, being in a situation where you can't pay total attention to the video meaning you'd need to keep pausing, etc). Any situation where reading is more convenient than watching.

That's it for me, honestly.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Jamesman posted:

I've said it earlier in this thread, but I feel like SSLPs, by nature, provide a trimmed down experience for the viewer/reader. You're picking and choosing parts of the game to show and deciding on what's most important to share, and trying to convey the most information possible in an efficient manner. I would think that cutting out or summarizing dialogue would go along with that.

Your mindset isn't "wrong" so much as it's just... your mindset.

You can have exhaustive SSLPs. You can have abbreviated SSLPs. You can have informative, narrative, or comedic SSLPs. You can have all of these things with VLPs too. It's just a different format, which offers different possibilities, and has different eases of editing for different results.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Jamesman posted:

Some SSLPs do summarize. It really depends on what the LPer wants to focus on and is ultimately up to them how they want to present the game.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
In the end it just really all depends on what they bring to the table and how people take what they bring. Thus why it's important to question and criticize what is brought to the table; so they can grow and identify strengths and weaknesses. I mean, there are people out there that are great writers and have just entirely dumped the narrative of the game they're SSLP'ing and just made their own; is that a valid avenue for everyone? Nah, probably not but it's certainly an option and if people can do it then more power to them.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In my current LP I cut out a lot of repeated incidental dialogue for the sake of my own sanity and that of the reader because there's so much pointless filler dialogue based on what you decide to do each day of the game, but I feel that generally the more talking there is, the less you can get away with just skipping, ironically. What I'm saying is that when you get into the kinds of games with massive walls of text where skipping dialogue would be actually helpful to your workflow, it becomes that much more likely that people are reading your LP because they want to read that dialogue. In games with heavy focus on the story and characters, you have to take into account that those elements are going to be draws to the audience, and skipping may bother them.

e: of course, if you're doing something where the draw of the LP is blatantly not the story, rather some weird gimmick or joke or narrative experiment, you're totally free to ignore all that

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Jamesman posted:

SSLPs tend to be higher quality on average because they're hard to make, and that means that people spend a lot more time thinking about what they're showing off and how they're presenting it. People who make good VLPs are also spending a lot of time on the same things, but it's not as necessary.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jamesman posted:

People presenting VLPs can and frequently do edit out the parts of the game that would be tedious or pointless to watch, so it's not like a VLP is the definitive unadulterated Video Game Experience.

I do feel that presenting dialogue and cutscenes completely and accurately is important regardless of the format, because any summary is going to be "tainted" by the LPer's own impressions and interpretations, rather than allowing the viewer/reader to formulate their own and compare to what the LPer thinks. I will not read an LP that summarizes dialogue, with the possible exception of completely pointless sidequest dialogue.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

So, how often should an LP where most of the videos are between thirty minutes and an hour update? I usually update three or four times a week, and I was wondering if that's too often or not.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
More than once a day is excessive, but otherwise as often as you are willing. Your pace is pretty reasonable to me, at least,

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Once a day is usually the fastest I've seen an LP update. Any faster, and the update pace tends to get overbearing, SSLP or VLP.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Yeah. It's also very hard to follow a daily VLP with 30-60 minute updates unless you have a lot of free time.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay. I'm in the deep end on this one. I'm still not really comfortable with video in the first place, I'm in a new workflow, and I sure as poo poo have never done solo post-commentary before.

gently caress me up, Sandcastle. Because I love this game too much to put it On Here before you lot have had a say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AOTvsnF07s

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fedule posted:

Okay. I'm in the deep end on this one. I'm still not really comfortable with video in the first place, I'm in a new workflow, and I sure as poo poo have never done solo post-commentary before.

gently caress me up, Sandcastle. Because I love this game too much to put it On Here before you lot have had a say.

You have a really interesting voice. I don't know enough about the game to say much about that, and I don't tend to watch VLPs, so I don't really have any opinions there, either, but you deserve to work on something that isn't transcribing a novel's worth of text.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

PMush Perfect posted:

but you deserve to work on something that isn't transcribing a novel's worth of text.

Fedule sometimes yells at Artix and nine-gear crow

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Fedule posted:

Yeah, this is actually really good for the most part. Just tiny nitpicks here and there, like you don't really need to show off the options menu (even with the tiny bit of info you gave there and how lil time you spent looking at it) and that it might be worth mentioning what we might know the voice actors from. I know David Hayter and Jennifer Hale sounds familiar, but where should we know the other voice actors from that you brought up? Honestly though, that's all that came to mind and it's super minor.

Also there's a bit of speaker feedback that's super not noticeable at ummm 1:40, but I wasn't sure if that was the game or not.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties
I've been working on a subtitled VLP of an extremely spergy game. It's a Japanese air traffic control simulation.

There's a ton to explain, so I have been using lots of long subtitles. But I want it to be interesting and entertaining without being overwhelming.

This is an excerpt (first 6 minutes) from the planned first episode. Are the subtitles okay or are they a bit too much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxBZw81jfIg

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeah, this is actually really good for the most part. Just tiny nitpicks here and there, like you don't really need to show off the options menu (even with the tiny bit of info you gave there and how lil time you spent looking at it) and that it might be worth mentioning what we might know the voice actors from. I know David Hayter and Jennifer Hale sounds familiar, but where should we know the other voice actors from that you brought up? Honestly though, that's all that came to mind and it's super minor.

Also there's a bit of speaker feedback that's super not noticeable at ummm 1:40, but I wasn't sure if that was the game or not.

I'll give you the settings menu (though I stand by having it in there - that all the graphics options are present and correct is something I appreciate, and the un-rebindable keys something I don't). Voice actor stuff is going in the OP with a bunch of other stuff. The speaker feedback is actually in the game! It happens every time we get a phone call. République was originally released for phones, and was presented as, like, something you were doing over a phone call, so I guess it was a cute way the devs tried to add some authenticity to proceedings? I guess it's a little weird, but weird is typical for this game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

discworld is all I read posted:

I was surprised by it too, but then I realized what it was. That’s the feedback noise produced by PC speakers when a cellphone receives a call in close proximity to them. In the game it plays over an incoming cellphone call routed through what would ostensibly be your PC speakers, so it’s actually a bit of ingenious and immersive sound design on the game’s part.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

sincx posted:

I've been working on a subtitled VLP of an extremely spergy game. It's a Japanese air traffic control simulation.

There's a ton to explain, so I have been using lots of long subtitles. But I want it to be interesting and entertaining without being overwhelming.

This is an excerpt (first 6 minutes) from the planned first episode. Are the subtitles okay or are they a bit too much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxBZw81jfIg
Some of the early subtitles are, as you say, a bit too much, as in they are long without enough time to read them without pausing. What are you using to add the subtitles? If it's a dedicated subtitle editor, it should come with a character/second (CPS) counter that gives you an idea on how readable your subtitles are. 15~17 is more or less the industry standard for subs, but you can definitely push into 20~22 if you're aiming for a video that can may ocasionally be paused. (Especially with the screen so visually busy.)
If you aren't using a subs editor, I'd recommend getting one for a project like this. I really like Aegisub, but some folks prefer the older Subtitle Workshop. They're easy to use, customisable, and free. Also there should be a spell check to avoid the occasional "freqency".

Try to aim for consistency. Some titles are very comfortable to read (2:50 has ~12 CPS subs), and some are impossible (0:29 is above 30 CPS).
Some of the long 5+ lines can probably be split into shorter, 2-3 line ones as well. It will hide less footage, and give the reader less to digest at once.
It's also good to leave some empty frames between subtitles. Persistence of vision is a thing, so at least 0.2 seconds between subs makes reading more comfortable.
Subs up might also want to stay up longer when introducing technical terms or figures, and finally, make sure your line breaks are clean. Lines should end on natural linguistic breaks, ideally at clause or phrase boundaries.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 5, 2018

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Fedule posted:

I'll give you the settings menu (though I stand by having it in there - that all the graphics options are present and correct is something I appreciate, and the un-rebindable keys something I don't). Voice actor stuff is going in the OP with a bunch of other stuff. The speaker feedback is actually in the game! It happens every time we get a phone call. République was originally released for phones, and was presented as, like, something you were doing over a phone call, so I guess it was a cute way the devs tried to add some authenticity to proceedings? I guess it's a little weird, but weird is typical for this game.

nine-gear crow posted:

I was surprised by it too, but then I realized what it was. That’s the feedback noise produced by PC speakers when a cellphone receives a call in close proximity to them. In the game it plays over an incoming cellphone call routed through what would ostensibly be your PC speakers, so it’s actually a bit of ingenious and immersive sound design on the game’s part.
That's very cool, I knew I had heard that sound somewhere before and figured it was just something in the game.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Miacis posted:

Lots of good advice.

Thank you!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Thread live, feedback appreciated.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Looking for some opinions.

I recent did a playthrough of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, and to avoid any automatic flagging, I replaced the licensed music with MIDI versions of songs from the first four games.

I'm contemplating doing a playthrough of THUG now, and licensed music is going to be an issue again. Here are the possible options;

1) Reuse the same MIDIs from the collection that I used for THPS4.
2) Use MIDIs of other songs that have no connection to the game (I did this when streaming the game).
3) Use video game music from various sources.
4) Leave the licensed music as is.
5) Have no music whatsoever.

Here are my concerns with each option;

1) Might be repetitive, using the same music as before.
2) If I use the same songs I used in the streams, then it's the same issue of repetition. If I should use new songs, I'll have a lot of difficulty finding songs that weren't already part of my playlist.
3) I'm concerned that they'll feel very out of place. Kinda like this. Also concerned about getting a large enough selection of music that doesn't clash with one another.
4) Copyright claims, potential muting/blocking of videos. Really not my favorite option.
5) Might just sound too "empty" without some music to go along with the gameplay sounds and commentary. The above video has the music turned off, to give you an idea.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jamesman posted:

Looking for some opinions.

I recent did a playthrough of Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 4, and to avoid any automatic flagging, I replaced the licensed music with MIDI versions of songs from the first four games.

I'm contemplating doing a playthrough of THUG now, and licensed music is going to be an issue again. Here are the possible options;

1) Reuse the same MIDIs from the collection that I used for THPS4.
2) Use MIDIs of other songs that have no connection to the game (I did this when streaming the game).
3) Use video game music from various sources.
4) Leave the licensed music as is.
5) Have no music whatsoever.

Here are my concerns with each option;

1) Might be repetitive, using the same music as before.
2) If I use the same songs I used in the streams, then it's the same issue of repetition. If I should use new songs, I'll have a lot of difficulty finding songs that weren't already part of my playlist.
3) I'm concerned that they'll feel very out of place. Kinda like this. Also concerned about getting a large enough selection of music that doesn't clash with one another.
4) Copyright claims, potential muting/blocking of videos. Really not my favorite option.
5) Might just sound too "empty" without some music to go along with the gameplay sounds and commentary. The above video has the music turned off, to give you an idea.

I'd say go with a mix of the first three. I usually advocate the "trust your instincts" policy on these ones. If it works for you, usually it'll work. If people complain, then maybe look at changing things. I'm pretty sure no one coming to see and LP of Tony Hawk's Underground is coming for its groundbreaking and captivating soundtrack. Go nuts with it.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm pretty sure no one coming to see and LP of Tony Hawk's Underground is coming for its groundbreaking and captivating soundtrack.
No, that's what the Tony Hawk's Underground 2 LP is for because look at this poo poo:

http://tonyhawkgames.wikia.com/wiki/Tony_Hawk%27s_Underground_2_Soundtrack

If I was the one doing the LP, I'd go for option 4 because I hate when music gets overdubbed on... well, anything really, but I understand that Youtube's content ID stuff can be a pain in the rear end. Video game music might work, it's what I mostly used when doing the sped-up shootmans/tailing sections in my GTA4 videos although there's still a chance it might get claimed by someone who may or may not be the actual owner of the content.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Just use Yakety Sax.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Record yourself singing all the music and dub that over.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

FactsAreUseless posted:

Record yourself singing all the music and dub that over.

It's what I did for Arkham Knight when GEMA hated on the Frank Sinatra song at the start.

I've gotten better at singing since then :v:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

It's what I did for Arkham Knight when GEMA hated on the Frank Sinatra song at the start.

I've gotten better at singing since then :v:

Thanks for the warning

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Let's Play Digimon: Digital Card Battle

One thing I'm not confident about with this (among other stuff) is how good I am at explaining how the game works; with the Yu-gi-oh thread I did awhile back, the game was not at all complicated in the slightest; Digimon is a little more complex, so I hope I didn't get too wordy here.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Question about the rules:

quote:

No YouTube dumps, no reposts!

The point of an LP thread is, if not participation, at least discussion. It's not against the rules to have a backlog or even to record an entire playthrough in advance - just don't post it all at once.

Also, don't re-post an LP you've already started elsewhere. Create your LP for the thread, not the other way around.

I have been planning on doing a Medieval 2 Total War LP for a while based on some fuckery with the AI. Nothing too fancy, just some fun stuff poking holes at some of the most famous AI quirks(like the one territory even the Pope really, really wants or Portugal's interest in Ireland for some insane reason) and watching how the AI reacts when put under situations that wouldn't usually come up in the game unless you were really, really trying to gently caress with it. Would be a chill LP with each update being basically a timelapse of 20 turns or so.

Anyway, I was thinking of posting the LP both here and in some Total War communities that appreciate this kind of stuff, since discussing stuff like this is fun. Would I be allowed to do that or would I only be allowed to post the LP here if I didn't later post it anywhere else?

Asking because as I understand it(I could be wrong) the rule seems more aimed at preventing people from trying to get views on youtube videos and stuff, and I honestly just really like talking about game AI with people. I totally understand if this is a "no exceptions" sort of thing and this isn't allowed though, I mean the rules do more or less say that I wouldn't be able to post the LP anywhere else. Figured there was no harm in asking though.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.
If you haven't even made anything yet, it's totally fine. No rules against posting an LP multiple places at once. It's mostly just a measure to stop people from spamming new threads with like 30 video links.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hopeford posted:

Question about the rules:

I have been planning on doing a Medieval 2 Total War LP for a while based on some fuckery with the AI. Nothing too fancy, just some fun stuff poking holes at some of the most famous AI quirks(like the one territory even the Pope really, really wants or Portugal's interest in Ireland for some insane reason) and watching how the AI reacts when put under situations that wouldn't usually come up in the game unless you were really, really trying to gently caress with it. Would be a chill LP with each update being basically a timelapse of 20 turns or so.

Anyway, I was thinking of posting the LP both here and in some Total War communities that appreciate this kind of stuff, since discussing stuff like this is fun. Would I be allowed to do that or would I only be allowed to post the LP here if I didn't later post it anywhere else?

Asking because as I understand it(I could be wrong) the rule seems more aimed at preventing people from trying to get views on youtube videos and stuff, and I honestly just really like talking about game AI with people. I totally understand if this is a "no exceptions" sort of thing and this isn't allowed though, I mean the rules do more or less say that I wouldn't be able to post the LP anywhere else. Figured there was no harm in asking though.

Crossposting an LP that’s started here or primarily intended for SA elsewhere is not verboten, no. The rule is meant to prevent the inverse from happening, like you surmised. So coming in and dumping an LP you started four months ago on another forum and are now halfway through in a post is a no no, but if you post a thread here and then say simultaneously start the same thread on say the LPzone as well, that’s fine. It’s all a matter of using common sense about it, which you clearly are, so there shouldn’t be an issue with it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The key part is "no dumping". You make LPs one update at a time (or two if it fits the format, like you can start the LP with an info post and a regular update or make two updates that cover the game and a historical anecdote about what you saw in the video) instead of just hurling 5 hours of completed gameplay at everyone.

ShichiNoBushi
Sep 16, 2010
I'm planning on starting an LP for Surviving Mars, a colony management/city builder game published by Paradox. I'm mainly doing it as a solo LP as I am having trouble scheduling sessions for my other LPs with my regulars. I'm generally not much of a talker, so don't be surprised if there are some dull moments of no commentary. I'll try to work on talking more consistently and enunciating more. But I am also open to whoever is willing to co-commentate with me though you will likely need a fairly open availability.

Episode 1: Setting Foundations
Episode 2: Founders Arrive
Episode 3: Meeting Demands
Episode 4: New Life on Mars

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
I'm already busy with a big project thing I'm doing here but since I played Celeste and loved it so much I can't not LP it sooner or later.

Here's a test video featuring the Prologue and Chapter 1

Some feedback would be appreciated.

Especially in regards to the playstyle. I use advanced movement mechanics occasionally, more out of habit than consciously (Though, the part at the start of the first proper level was intentional), which I'm afraid might be distracting or hard to follow for some people (though, I do plan on explaining part of the stuff I use as soon as the second Episode to alleviate that, I just felt it would be flow breaking to do it in the first episode.).

If there's any other input regarding my commentary, the video's structure or other miscellaneous things that catch your attention that is also appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm already busy with a big project thing I'm doing here but since I played Celeste and loved it so much I can't not LP it sooner or later.

Here's a test video featuring the Prologue and Chapter 1

Some feedback would be appreciated.

Especially in regards to the playstyle. I use advanced movement mechanics occasionally, more out of habit than consciously (Though, the part at the start of the first proper level was intentional), which I'm afraid might be distracting or hard to follow for some people (though, I do plan on explaining part of the stuff I use as soon as the second Episode to alleviate that, I just felt it would be flow breaking to do it in the first episode.).

If there's any other input regarding my commentary, the video's structure or other miscellaneous things that catch your attention that is also appreciated.

I don't know what your process for game audio is but something is wrong with it. It's barely noticeable most of the time but it's distorted the hell out of the BGM in the room with the cassette tape. I have no idea what would cause that.