Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

theCalamity posted:

I don’t see the grey morality when the Marleyans are pretty explicitly bad.

Yeah, well, that's just, like, geopolitics, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

theCalamity posted:

I don’t see the grey morality when the Marleyans are pretty explicitly bad.

The grey morality would be the fact that a bunch of random civilians would also die in the crossfire. That doesn't mean Eren's actions aren't justified (since they're kind of limited in their options to oppose Marley), but they definitely have some hosed up aspects.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

The grey morality would be the fact that a bunch of random civilians would also die in the crossfire. That doesn't mean Eren's actions aren't justified (since they're kind of limited in their options to oppose Marley), but they definitely have some hosed up aspects.

The spin says tybur made himself a military target and he chose to involve civilians.

I mean that is what he really did, but if I was paradis propaganda, that is what I would focus on.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Well if the Paradis Eldians wanted to get their message out, it's been an utter loving failure considering they don't seem to have any diplomatic contacts with the outside world.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Phobophilia posted:

Well if the Paradis Eldians wanted to get their message out, it's been an utter loving failure considering they don't seem to have any diplomatic contacts with the outside world.

Except for the moment that Marley declared war on them and attempted to rally the world to their side, Paradis went and crushed the entire Marleyan leadership in one strike, with press and representatives of the whole world watching.

That's as strong a "don't gently caress with us" message as you can give.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

how could they have had any diplomatic contact with the outside world when they only learned there was one in the last few years? oh and also everyone hates them by default

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

This is the strangest game of Civilization ever.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Rhaka posted:

This is the strangest game of Civilization ever.

Everyone is Ghandi.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Conspiratiorist posted:

Except for the moment that Marley declared war on them and attempted to rally the world to their side, Paradis went and crushed the entire Marleyan leadership in one strike, with press and representatives of the whole world watching.

That's as strong a "don't gently caress with us" message as you can give.

yeah, i'm sure this series from japan is playing up the political effectiveness of a surprise decapitation strike instantly breaking the will of a global alliance of more heavily industrialized countries

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You thought you could escape us, the political hot takes crew, but you were mistaken.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Hey, Japan talks a lot about nukes.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Attack on Titan - The Real Nukes were the Titans we met along the way.

TowerofOil
May 22, 2007

You don't need a doctor, I'm a christian scientist.

Bread Liar
It never gets old to see a new discussion in this thread about how the murder of innocent civilians is good and ok.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think anyone has said that but ok

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think anyone has said that but ok

Well, not recently...

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
So either the Marley successfully get their Anti-Paradise military coalition as they spin this incident as completely validating their claims, or they get betrayed and the other factions take advantage of their weakness to attack both them and the Paradisians and turn World War Titan into a big, messy mêlée à trois.

Either way, this is going to be a glorious meatgrinder. Just mountains of corpses and oceans of blood.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TowerofOil posted:

It never gets old to see a new discussion in this thread about how the murder of innocent civilians is good and ok.

Yea, it's really hosed up that we were all okay with going to war with Germany, it would have been much better to let them complete their genocide and finish taking over whatever other countries they wanted. That way no innocent civilians would have been hurt by us, just by the Nazis, and that's not our fault after all.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
New chapter soon please so you insufferable twats can gently caress off for another month thanks

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

At this point the only characters I have any hope for, in terms of them not living life waist deep in blood as a brutal killer...

I guess Falco? Gabi seems a little too gung ho, she might be too far gone already.

Didn't Gabi knowingly commit a warcrime in very first appearance? Pretty sure she never had a chance.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Gabi seems to just be Eren's successor. Eren just killed a bunch of people she knew and caused the death of several of her friends. So now she is the Marelyen version of Eren.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Xarbala posted:

You thought you could escape us, the political hot takes crew, but you were mistaken.

:unsmigghh:

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gabi seems to just be Eren's successor. Eren just killed a bunch of people she knew and caused the death of several of her friends. So now she is the Marelyen version of Eren.

I think that's more Falco since he's actually human enough that getting duped like this would push him towards a manic desire for revenge. Gabi's very erenish but she's always been willing to go above and beyond to murder marley's enemies.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wellwinds posted:

I think that's more Falco since he's actually human enough that getting duped like this would push him towards a manic desire for revenge. Gabi's very erenish but she's always been willing to go above and beyond to murder marley's enemies.

Yeah but Falco may be dead.

While Gabi has already sworn revenge against Eren Yeager as his allies shot soldiers she knew right in front of her.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well, reiner was with falco as well. there's a good chance he's alive. I think they've built up his role going forward enough that killing him there wouldn't make much sense

the difference between gabi and eren is that she'd have gone to war with the paradisians regardless of what eren did here

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Manatee Cannon posted:

well, reiner was with falco as well. there's a good chance he's alive. I think they've built up his role going forward enough that killing him there wouldn't make much sense

the difference between gabi and eren is that she'd have gone to war with the paradisians regardless of what eren did here

And Eren would have gone after the Titan regardless of the attack on the wall by Reiner.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

And Eren would have gone after the Titan regardless of the attack on the wall by Reiner.

he wouldn't have gone after marley without reiner is what I'm saying but you're right

Wellwinds
Mar 20, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah but Falco may be dead.

While Gabi has already sworn revenge against Eren Yeager as his allies shot soldiers she knew right in front of her.

Yeah but how far did eren get on just that? Eaten, and she doesn't have titan magic to save her.

She's very much like series-start eren but I don't think she can really occupy an eren like role other than dying; if this is closing in on series end I don't think there's time to put her on equal footing wrt viewpoint whereas Falco's somewhere around top-of-wall-reveal to basement Eren; he's just had a bunch of time learning that paradisans are people too but he's just been given a very good reason to be angry and vengeful.

Like, I guess Gabi could get ahold of the armored titan and have a crash course in empathy from reiner's memories? (that can work but i'd like to see the rube goldberg setup to make it happen since there's a kaiju battle going on in between their locations)

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

I don't get why people are trying so hard to draw comparisons between the warrior cadets and Eren in the first place.

There is no one comparable to Eren in the whole story, no successor. From the beginning he's an extremely driven kid who yearns for freedom, a driving principle so strong it constantly makes him push against his limitations. A lot is made about the bundle of rage he is for most of the story, but it's always about what he feels as the 'cage' keeping people away from that ideal of freedom: bullies, slavers, titans. This is what defines Eren.

Falco and Gabi? They're just stupid little kids with absolutely zero aspirations of breaking the status quo - Gabi only pursues what she has been indoctrinated to believe her entire life with no self-awareness, while Falco is able to see a little past the propaganda yet his goal is merely to take on the burden of the Armored Titan to spare Gabi.

How the gently caress do you compare that to Eren? Because they saw a bunch of people get killed?

The only person narratively analogous to Eren is Reiner, and only to the extent that it's Eren's turn to do what he did to him. When Eren says they're alike, he means that they inadvertently took on great burdens and are the kind of people who don't know how to stop once they set out on a path, but other than that they're completely different individuals. Reiner is lost. Eren? Eren has always known what he has to do. Not necessarily how to do it, but he's always had his eyes on the horizon.

Elijah Snow
Dec 10, 2006

some-something man
I don't know man I'm not a fiction expert or anything but maybe more things will happen?? The comparisons are there 'cus they're comparable.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I wonder how long and deeply the Paradise crew had been infiltrating Marley. How would they be able to know where the secret Titan Shifter neutralizing oubliettes are? I don't need specifics and know there aren't any, but it does imply they've been doing some legwork and getting intel beyond what Eren wrote to them.

Props to Marley for stocking them with food in duck-shaped lunch boxes, though.
Bawk Bawk!

Also, does anyone know if there's an actual, official Japanese name for the titan-shifters? "People with the power of a titan" or however they refer to it in translations seems like a really cumbersome mouthful for a pretty important concept.

Liquid Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Mar 4, 2018

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

Props to Marley for stocking them with food in duck-shaped lunch boxes, though.
Bawk Bawk!

I think the duck thing is a training toilet a small child would use. Paradise crew adding insult to their actual injuries.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

MH Knights posted:

I think the duck thing is a training toilet a small child would use. Paradise crew adding insult to their actual injuries.

The food is in a bag under the arm

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Oh. You sure it wasn't put there by the Marleyans? I mean, it was meant to be a detainment cell and a toy potty might have been the closest available waste receptacle you could throw down a 20 foot hole without it breaking.

Also I just caught up after about 8 months of waiting and holy poo poo this comic is so good, and got so much better than I would have ever believed in the peak-hype days of 2013. I told this to a friend who asked "is it still sort of fascist-leaning?" And I had to regurgitate the entire derail from a few pages ago at him.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Some spoiler images for the next chapter have come out and goddamn is this manga going to such a great place. All that buildup is paying off in such a big way.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Asuron posted:

Some spoiler images for the next chapter have come out and goddamn is this manga going to such a great place. All that buildup is paying off in such a big way.

You weren't joking, holy poo poo I was holding my breath for the entire chapter.

Dunno when Engilsh scans will be arriving so here are the Korean scans.

http://wasabisyrup.com/archives/4JCUuFcStLQ

Holy loving poo poo.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Asuron posted:

:yeah:

KILL KILL KILL

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

marley btfo

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Translated chapter is out and it is a doozy - http://kissmanga.com/Manga/Shingeki-no-Kyojin/Attack-on-Titan---Chapter-103?id=407451

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lol jesus christ explosive stake through the mouth of the shifter herself, gently caress

I like that Armin transformed and then we didn't even get to see it this chapter because so much other poo poo was going on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

:suspense: