Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Mega64 posted:

The Switch's main problem is only having two Picross games one year in.
Piczel lines DX is on sale right now and although its not exactly picross its not bad in its own right. Iirc theres a demo too.

Pic-a-pax has been slowly dropping dlc puzzle packs too. I wish jupiter would handle it that way instead of releasing 8 almost identical titles with ~300 puzzles each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Detention mini-review:

If you like adventure games, you'll probably get some enjoyment out of this, but I can't recommend it to most. It's got tons of atmosphere, wonderful sound design, the art all looks good, but the gameplay is dull as ditchwater. There's a lot of flash game scares, weird images flashing across the screen when you solve a puzzle or two, but there are also some really disarmingly creepy moments, so it balances out. It *is* spooky, and quite appropriately tragic and depressing, so for its cheap price point, if you want a gloomy 3-hour game, go ahead and grab it.

However, the gameplay is pretty weak. There's an extremely tacked on stealth gimmick and there's basically only two "enemy" types, which the game eventually just abandons by the end. The game's story is quite good, particularly as it uses a very dark period of history as a setting, but the terror of the reality it is describing is in a lot of ways much more scary than the stuff you encounter in-game.

It ends appropriately well. If it were only $10 or less, I'd say it's worth the experience, but as it stands, it's a bit pricy for so little, and I feel overall like much more ado was made about this game than it really warrants. I don't think I'd call this a successor to Silent Hill, even if it clearly drew from the same lesson plan.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Haha yeah I love the terrible art in that game. The puzzles to get the terrible art are great though

The low resolution ones are the best.

Oh, the random static is tea leaves. Duh.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So what's the goon consensus on Dandara? How's it control?
I enjoyed Dandara. The atmosphere is unique, the pixel art is really good, and the music fits well too.

The movement mechanic is the game's novelty. It's definitely different than your typical platformer because you can't just "run" anywhere, you have to zig-zag between these marked platforms. There's a number of puzzles based around where you can/can't zag to at any time so it's pretty core to the game. I didn't find the movement to be better or worse than standard, but it being different was fun for one game. I could see people getting frustrated with it, so if it's something you're on the fence about it might not be for you.

The second issue is that the standard pistol requires charging before it will fire a shot. This means you have to hold the shoot button between shots which limits your shooting to one shot a second or so. Again it's a pretty core mechanic, and although it would seem annoying it's alleviated by some subweapons you pick up later that do allow you to spam fire (and so part of the challenge is strategic use of those weapons). Like movement, this is something that might turn people off from the game.

The third issue is that when you die, you lose all the unspent salt (XP) you've collected. If you locate your corpse/spirit then you get the salt back, but if you die a second time then that salt is lost. It's not really that bad as long as you spent your salt by upgrading/leveling up your abilities (which can be done at camps) often. I made a point to grind to the next level before a boss fight so that if I died it didn't matter. If you do lose salt you can always get it back by grinding enemies, but if you don't make an effort to replace it you'll end up behind in upgrades which can make the game more difficult.

Beyond that, I think the game is considered challenging. Reviews called it unbalanced and difficult, but those were written before the day-one patch that rebalanced the game. I did find it challenging at times, but usually if you're getting your rear end kicked in a new area it usually means you should go somewhere else instead. I never felt like I had to really go out of my way to grind, and didn't get stuck on a boss more than a few tries.

In total it took me 15 hours to 100% the game and fully upgrade my character. It's probably a ~10 hour game for a first playthrough depending how methodical you are, although the game definitely can be beaten under three hours if you knew where to go. For $15 I'm pretty happy with that. Overall I'd agree that Axiom Verge is better than Dandara, though the atmosphere and mechanics of the two games are pretty different. I'm playing through The Mummy Demastered right now and while I enjoy that too, I'd say it's more frustrating and less polished than Dandara, so I'd play Dandara before that.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Mar 4, 2018

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
One of my friends in college told me she would hold the n64 control stick with every finger of her left hand and move it that way. When I asked how she'd use the z button, she said she'd just hit it on her foot since she always played on the floor

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
A full year without vc or streaming support

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Reality Loser posted:

Yeah come on, Nintendo. Give me portable SNES games.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I’d be surprised if we ever saw native streaming support. It takes a non-trivial amount of resources to record and transcode video on the fly, and the Switch doesn’t exactly have power to spare.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
yeah I'd just be happy with the recording limit bumped up to 2 minutes or 5 minutes or something. 30 seconds is ok for making gifs and stuff but I'd love to be able to upload an entire Mario Kart race or a boss fight in Bayonetta or Dark Souls or whatever

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Just bought a Switch off eBay :toot:.

It looks pristine from the pictures, has Mario + Splatoon 2* (both as cartridges, I could have gotten one with Mario already installed but I was iffy on that), a carrying bag and a LAN cable adapter (if I ever need that). Also, insured for the next 4 years. 400€. That's what I'm talking about!

I'll pick it up next month, by which time I'll have gotten Zelda and Bayonetta 2 (with 1 possibly included for free, I gathered?). Now I just need to convince my wife that I will take it with me to Sweden, she already has my PS4 and 3DS and gosh darn it, BotW can wait until she has gotten bored of D3 and Samus Returns :argh:!

*there was a bundle with that and two pro controllers, I googled if it has local split-screen multiplayer and welp wouldn't you know it. Wonder why people sold it???

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Oh I meant streaming support as in yt/twitch/netflix apps

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Reality Loser posted:

There's Hulu, but yeah I'd like to have Netflix and YouTube

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Im surprised how much I use the Hulu app. It's way more stable than my TV and phone.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Regular Picross cheats, they just take every square and give it four colors to make a pretty picture, which the solution could theoretically have been a silhouette of.

Though once you solve puzzle and all the colors come in its very satisfying. That's the prestige.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

Kirby reminds me of smash brothers.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I’m going to get a ton of use out of the Switch’s built in stand when the YouTube app finally comes out.

Reality Loser posted:

Kirby reminds me of smash brothers.

The same guy created both series.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

drat I really, REALLY like Tumbleseed. Were the unlockable passive abilities/quests/separate zones part of the game at launch? From reading early reviews it sounds like they weren't, which makes a lot of the complaints make sense. This game would be really overwhelming if they threw you right into the roguelike Adventure mode first-thing, but the "Origins Mode" zones acclimate you to the gameplay very nicely.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Anyone have experience with the Atelier series? I'm feeling starved for turn-based jrpgs but the whole "cutesy" style isn't my thing. I'm willing to look past it if the game is good. If anyone has thoughts on the series I'd love to hear them.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like the Kirby demo but it not being 60fps hurts it. It feels a bit sluggish compared to the Wii and 3DS ones.

The game looks nice but I’d rather have 60fps and simpler backgrounds and effects.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

2 games I'm curious about are Lost Sphear and Nine Parchments (co-op with another Switch having friend). I still have yet to play I Am Setsuna, but I've got it downloaded. I heard it was meh, but I'm also a little starved on standard JRPG nonsense.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Is Damascus Gear Operation Tokyo any good?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Reality Loser posted:

They realized they can sell them as hardware instead

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Wanted to play through Cave Story again but I'm mad that it's 30 dollars, wtf!!!!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

goferchan posted:

Wanted to play through Cave Story again but I'm mad that it's 30 dollars, wtf!!!!

Forty Canadian! :eng101:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

did I dream it or did I read somewhere that Kero Blaster is coming to Switch?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

They realized they can sell them as hardware instead

i'd be very curious to know whether the classics are actually more profitable than the various VCs

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Kvlt! posted:

Anyone have experience with the Atelier series? I'm feeling starved for turn-based jrpgs but the whole "cutesy" style isn't my thing. I'm willing to look past it if the game is good. If anyone has thoughts on the series I'd love to hear them.

Do you like crafting? Because the Atelier series is 99% that.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dangerous Person posted:

Is Damascus Gear Operation Tokyo any good?

Midjack posted:

Damascus Gear came out on Vita a couple of years ago. It's an isometric slash em up with giant robots. It's OK, though I won't rebuy it on Switch.

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
Is a Hole New World any good?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

E2M2 posted:

Is a Hole New World any good?

Midjack posted:

Find a way to play the old NES game Metal Storm, it did it better almost a quarter century ago.

jetpackhewy
Mar 30, 2010

goferchan posted:

did I dream it or did I read somewhere that Kero Blaster is coming to Switch?

You did not dream, friend.

https://youtu.be/quGuGcroEl0

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Reality Loser posted:

You do realize this has nothing to do with Nintendo right? Complain to Google/Amazon/Netflix for not making apps.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Works for me. Thanks

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Pug Rodeo posted:

You do realize this has nothing to do with Nintendo right? Complain to Google/Amazon/Netflix for not making apps.

Sept 2017

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/rumour_netflix_app_ready_for_switch_all_it_needs_is_nintendos_go-ahead posted:

However, if a fresh rumour is to be believed, this won't be the case for much longer. Apparently, a Netflix sales representative has revealed that the company's Switch app is "locked and loaded" and all that is preventing a release is the go-ahead from Nintendo itself.

Jan 2018

quote:

In reply to a Twitter question about when we could expect Netflix to come to the Switch, the company said that there are “currently no plans for Netflix on Nintendo Switch.”
Taken on its own, that tweet is bad news, but Polygon followed up with Netflix and heard something a little more encouraging.
“We are still exploring the opportunity with Nintendo, but don’t have definitive plans to share at this time,” Netflix told Polygon.

:iiam:

I mean really what's more likely, that one of the fastest-selling (if not the fastest selling) consoles in recent memory is just not worth developing an app for (unlike the PS3, the PS4, the PS Vita, the XBone, and the Wii U), or there's some boardroom politics bullshit going on between both the companies and it's not as easy as "just slap the app on"

e: The fact that hulu's on there but Netflix and Amazon/Twitch and Youtube aren't screams "this is a Nintendo issue" tbh

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Mar 4, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Does it? If it's so hard why would Hulu be there?

I mean you can get a god drat microtransaction match 3 up there.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

gmq posted:

Do you like crafting? Because the Atelier series is 99% that.

Is it like a Monster Hunter type thing where you craft and then go do stuff or literally mostly crafting?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
My Wii U is doing hard work as a dedicated Netflix machine these days

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sudden Javelin posted:

My Wii U is doing hard work as a dedicated Netflix machine these days

:same:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Does it? If it's so hard why would Hulu be there?

I mean you can get a god drat microtransaction match 3 up there.

The fact that the shovelware games are all over the platform but Hulu's literally the only "application" app says something else is going on, and given that the switch is the odd duck out of all the current consoles (hell, even the 3DS has netflix) the answer with the fewest jumps is "There's something political on Nintendo's side going on". I don't know if we'll ever actually find out what that is, but it wouldn't surprise me if they have some half-formed idea about "The Wii U failed because people were using it as a streaming device instead of a game console" or some bullshit

Also from Hulu about why they weren't on it at launch:

https://nintendoeverything.com/why-hulu-wasnt-on-switch-at-launch/ posted:

Why not at launch? That was a political decision by Nintendo to a certain degree, but also a technical one because they really wanted to focus on the game-side of things on the one hand, and secondly really were only able to provide the basic technical functionality that you needed to make the greatest games on the new console. So one of the things which was missing until recently was one tiny little bit of encryption that most of the professional video services unfortunately need, and once that was unblocked for us, it was not a problem to get the whole thing going. We had the streaming actually and most of the tech we had done quite awhile ago.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

lelandjs posted:

Add me to the tally of people who push the edges of the dpad instead of rolling, and have had relatively little issue with the Pro Controller dpad (besides it being a little small)

This may be due to the fact that my first controller was an Xbox 360 wireless for PC.

How old are you? Are you legally allowed to be online yet due to COPPA? Your regdate is 2011, were you posting from the womb?

My first controller was an NES controller, because I am an adult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Holy poo poo Salamandra in Bayonetta 2 is amazing. It does ridiculous damage, good hit-stun, and super simple combos. The only downside is it's pretty short range due to no wicked weaves but that's only really a problem on some boss fights.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 4, 2018

• Locked thread