Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i dont hate trains!!!! i just dont like walking and having to think about my commute!!!!!! even though im horribly out of shape and thought driving would be easier!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
*bursts into thread sweating and shaking from excitement* did someone say trains

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pollyanna posted:

i dont hate trains!!!! i just dont like walking and having to think about my commute!!!!!! even though im horribly out of shape and thought driving would be easier!!!!

I'm just gonna put out there that regular exercise can really help with depression and anxiety and after a month of forcing yourself to walk you might feel differently. It seems like you're letting a few mental health things dictate your life and you're never going to crawl out of the hole that way.

If you ever want to pm me or talk, feel free. I'm going to be slightly more sympathetic than the rest of this thread is as (I think) the only other not-rich not-a-white-man :). I know all about how anxieties can make self improvement and decision making *paralyzing*.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018
you can meditate on the train polyanna

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i read my google prescribed news each morning on the bus

it knows what i want

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

Once you take the commute a couple of times you will adjust not think about it as much. Also you will get faster at it because Google has to provide an estimate that will be good for everyone, which will necessarily be some kind of average.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

yeah you only have to think about it the first few times, then it's autopilot commute like driving. do you not use public transit around town ever? my prediction is "no" but give it a go, it's easy

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

no i take the t basically everywhere just not to cambridge/somerville and its more annoying than usual

cis autodrag posted:

I'm just gonna put out there that regular exercise can really help with depression and anxiety and after a month of forcing yourself to walk you might feel differently. It seems like you're letting a few mental health things dictate your life and you're never going to crawl out of the hole that way.

If you ever want to pm me or talk, feel free. I'm going to be slightly more sympathetic than the rest of this thread is as (I think) the only other not-rich not-a-white-man :). I know all about how anxieties can make self improvement and decision making *paralyzing*.

thankee :3: its tough yeah...its stuff that i gotta gumption up and get over ultimately, prodding gets me places. i will reach out!!!

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Boiled Water posted:

your office is full of them though

being serious, if you're in a huge city and using public transport in the winter you'll be getting ill at least once a month or more. i can honestly say being able to drive to work has drastically reduced the frequency of illness for me.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

qhat posted:

being serious, if you're in a huge city and using public transport in the winter you'll be getting ill at least once a month or more. i can honestly say being able to drive to work has drastically reduced the frequency of illness for me.

Try not licking the subway poles

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Analytic Engine posted:

Try not licking the subway poles

if most people knew how much dogshit transfers to your hands from those poles in just one journey, they'd be wearing gloves

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

why wouldn't you be wearing gloves in winter in boston?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

boston isn't a huge city. i was thinking more along the lines of london and nyc.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

qhat posted:

this was not my experience, maybe your immune system is a pos

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Achmed Jones posted:

:same:

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

cis autodrag posted:

pollyanna seems to have a recurrent theme of sabotaging herself, which can be hella frustrating for everyone trying to convince her stubborn mind. this time with the commute thing it sounded kinda classist so it did struck some nerves. but overall I think everyone is genuinely trying to help.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Achmed Jones posted:

YISPOS

new name for ylls?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
TRAINS?!?!?!?????!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lutNECOZFw

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

if i came off as classist i really apologize i did not mean to come off as such :(

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Blinkz0rz posted:

pollyanna is the exact sort of person boomers point at when they're derisive of millennials

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
i might be interviewing at a startup soon

what kind of stuff should i be asking thats specific to startups

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

what series funding

Ator
Oct 1, 2005

do people use Indeed Prime?

i got an email from their "Engineering Lead" advertising the site

i think i'll just work through regular recruiters.

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

Ator posted:

do people use Indeed Prime?

i got an email from their "Engineering Lead" advertising the site

i think i'll just work through regular recruiters.

right after i signed up for Indeed i got an email about it
i signed up for it and forgot about it until you reminded me with this post

Kudaros
Jun 23, 2006

Valeyard posted:

Do they use the phrases 'rock star' or 'wizard' in their hiring language? If so, flee.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Valeyard posted:

can I receive equity, if not, flee

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Boiled Water posted:

can I receive equity, if not, flee

unless you're really, really sure they'll go public with a huge ipo or will be acquired for gobs of cash you should eschew equity in favor of a bigger base salary every time

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Blinkz0rz posted:

unless you're really, really sure they'll go public with a huge ipo or will be acquired for gobs of cash you should eschew equity in favor of a bigger base salary every time

if they won’t why bother working with techbros at a startup?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Boiled Water posted:

if they won’t why bother working with techbros at a startup?

your equity will be worth less than the paper it's printed on

get that cash

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
the only reason im pursuing it is becaue they seem ughh more open to higher than normal salary for my area

id be going at them for a 40% increase over what im on just now just in base salary

their most recent round of funding (fifth) was 2 years ago and was for several hundred million

an ipo is something ill be asking them about

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Valeyard posted:

the only reason im pursuing it is becaue they seem ughh more open to higher than normal salary for my area

id be going at them for a 40% increase over what im on just now just in base salary

their most recent round of funding (fifth) was 2 years ago and was for several hundred million

giant startups isn’t really what we were talking about

milk that VC money. just remember that lockouts are likely to gently caress you over if they actually do ipo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Valeyard posted:

an ipo is not going to be a substantial amount of money for you, the new hire with 0.00000001% equity and an 18 month lockout

it may be literally $0 after all the liquidity preferences and preferred shares are paid off

Notorious b.s.d. fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 5, 2018

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
yeah, i dont really care about equity and that poo poo, i just want a big base salary and it seems like they have money to throw around

my bank dont care about equity and stock options when they are giving me a mortgage

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

an ipo is not going to be a substantial amount of money for you, the new hire with 0.00000001% equity and an 18 month lockout

it may be literally $0 after all the liquidity preferences and preferred shares are paid off

can’t it be negative with the way the stocks are taxed?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

can’t it be negative with the way the stocks are taxed?

not unless you do something stupid, no

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i had to interview another dude today and it was a phone screen. he kinda rambled a lot on questions he didn't understand, kinda like a book report on a book you only skimmed. he also was obviously googling some answers lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i wonder if its possible to be the opposite of the usual "terrible at interviewing, good at actually working" thing

cheque_some
Dec 6, 2006
The Wizard of Menlo Park

Pollyanna posted:

i wonder if its possible to be the opposite of the usual "terrible at interviewing, good at actually working" thing

^--- most of the people in this thread

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im getting a lot better at interviewing by giving them. turns out the person interviewing you does not give a single poo poo at all about it, so don't sweat it

e:

Pollyanna posted:

yes, how do you think all your terrible coworkers in the past got jobs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

PokeJoe posted:

im getting a lot better at interviewing by giving them. turns out the person interviewing you does not give a single poo poo at all about it, so don't sweat it

:yeah:

i've interviewed replacements for one of my previous superiors (he passed away :rip:), and i'm literally thinking about lunch or something else while interviewing