Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I did this one with 2B (and 9S), not knowing you could hack the heads
son of a

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I think I ended up doing this with every character at one point or another. First with A2 and getting the ending because I felt if anyone would "let" Emil go out like that it's A2. 9S finished the quest, don't remember what I did with 2B. Maybe tried her second and lost and then decided to just 9S it up.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

DeafNote posted:

I did this one with 2B (and 9S), not knowing you could hack the heads
son of a

Ooh, ooh, that reminds me! You know what's really fun about the start of the battle? All of the linked-together heads are considered one target at first, but when they split up, each head will have the current HP of the initial unit, rather than each starting out with whatever their max is. So if you're quick and hack it with 9S right when it pops up and land a successful hacking, you've basically cut like a 1/3 of EVERY SINGLE HEAD'S health right off the bat.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

EclecticTastes posted:

My assumption is that their influence is primarily linked to the residual effects of the maso particles that started this whole mess, given that maso particles are just Powdered Watcher. Even with the particles themselves removed from the equation, so much of the underlying technology used in the Gestalt Project and its related programs was derived from research on them that it likely acts as a sort of link. Note how none of the Machine Lifeforms outside the network (and thus free from the Gestalt Project-derived Girls In Red AIs) ever suffered from the Logic Virus, nor did any non-YoRHa androids that we know of, likely because their operating systems weren't compatible with the Girls In Red (and every YoRHa android that caught the Logic Virus did so some time after hacking or being hacked by infected Machine Lifeforms or the Girls In Red themselves).

I'm sure there's something in the fact that the WCS-sufferers/Legion's leader was "Red Eye" and the sign of logic virus corruption is, well, red eyes.

Plus, you know. Red Eye. Red AIs.

I'm sure I'm thinking too much about this.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
I think Yoko Taro is well aware of his reputation and puts poo poo like that in there with no intention of tying settings together, but solely because he knows it'll make people poo poo themselves drawing connections that may or may not be intended.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Did shop keeper Emil try to stop his other heads? :psyduck:

What I like about this game is how it does feel like you've had quite a long journey behind you. Remember when you first met Emil. :)

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
...Taro-san has gone too far. Emil. :cry:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Couldn't help but notice that "magic weapons from the old world" in use look suspiciously like pod programs.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

On doing this with 2B: How, precisely? When I selected a chapter with her in control, this last quest never showed up in the mall area. Seemed like it was exclusive to route C.

I suppose it could just be finicky with quest flagging.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Mazed posted:

On doing this with 2B: How, precisely? When I selected a chapter with her in control, this last quest never showed up in the mall area. Seemed like it was exclusive to route C.

It was way back when the game first released, and I don't remember if I did or did not do it as 2B at this point. I just assume so because that's how I do things. I definitely got the ending with either A2 or 9S and completed the quest with the other one.

On how you actually do the fight you have to activate the quest in Route C and then the fight becomes available for parts of Route A from memory.

Ukokira
Apr 29, 2017

Mazed posted:

I assume it’s at least after you form the crater in the ruined city. Since that’s when the heads spawn in the world I think.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

:smith:

In slightly more upbeat news, a blacksmithing workshop actually went ahead and made a real-life version of the Virtuous Treaty sword. Turned out pretty nice: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2N3vlqSlSw

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I'm kinda sad you didn't show off A2's after-shopping dialogue with Emil where he'll talk about how much he likes 2B. :(

RIP Emil, immortality truly was the greatest curse.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Just as an experiment, in a later playthrough I used A2 in the Emil 2 fight and decided to put the easy mode auto chips to their ultimate test. And yep, even in this battle they make it almost impossible to lose. The amount of last second auto dodging is insane. A2 just looked like a blur.

Edit: So apparently the lasers can be perfect dodged and Dark Id just wasn't timing it correctly or something.

...! fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 5, 2018

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Also, Emil is Worst Boy and had this coming for his war crimes. Best Boy = Jean-Paul.

Elkyrie
Mar 18, 2014

...! posted:

Also, Emil is Worst Boy and had this coming for his war crimes. Best Boy = Jean-Paul.

them's fightin' words motherfucker :toughguy:

RIP Best Boy 3366-11,945

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Perestroika posted:

In slightly more upbeat news, a blacksmithing workshop actually went ahead and made a real-life version of the Virtuous Treaty sword. Turned out pretty nice:

It still kinda feels weird that Nier isn't a really obscure series anymore. Like, I'm so used to thinking about it as something only a small handful of people even heard of, much less played. But now it's sequel is a multi-platinum seller and one of the most popular games of last year, not only have people heard of and played it, they're requesting swords from it

I just think it's neat that the series could pull a 180 like that.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

...! posted:

Best Boy = Jean-Paul.

What happened to that moron anyway?

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

StandardVC10 posted:

What happened to that moron anyway?

He had to go, his planet needed him. (At least that's what he thought, his planet probably shot him on sight)

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]

Geemer posted:

I'm kinda sad you didn't show off A2's after-shopping dialogue with Emil where he'll talk about how much he likes 2B. :(

RIP Emil, immortality truly was the greatest curse.

Emil's flags can get turbo hosed due to chapter switching business and hell if I could ever get that dialogue to trigger. There's also one in Route C where he mentions charging the shopping to 2B's YoRHa account and 9S gets bummed out that I could never trigger.

Also worth mentioning that the unit data says that was the true Emil. In case you were going "it's just another clone, it's fine."

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
So shopkeeper Emil was THE Emil all along? Oh man.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It still kinda feels weird that Nier isn't a really obscure series anymore. Like, I'm so used to thinking about it as something only a small handful of people even heard of, much less played. But now it's sequel is a multi-platinum seller and one of the most popular games of last year, not only have people heard of and played it, they're requesting swords from it

I just think it's neat that the series could pull a 180 like that.

Yoko Taro is at least as bemused as we are.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

When I played, he flat out said that he suddenly remembered that he's the original but it's easy to miss that line during the hecticness of the fight.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

...! posted:

When I played, he flat out said that he suddenly remembered that he's the original but it's easy to miss that line during the hecticness of the fight.

We just saw an entire transcript of the battle, at no point during it or any permutation of it does he outright say that.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

...! posted:

I never once claimed to be a truth teller. :colbert:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Honestly as sad as it is, this was probably for the best considering the issue of his memories to begin combined with the despair of eternity.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

We just saw an entire transcript of the battle

there is different dialogue for different guys

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

He knew all along

...!
Oct 5, 2003

And he wasn't kidding about ending Y being permanently missable. If you don't know about it ahead of time and just do the natural thing and finish the fight, you're locked out of that ending forever. You can't even redo the fight with chapter select. You're just hosed. You'd have to start your game over from the beginning.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Emile died as he lived.

Exploding.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

...! posted:

And he wasn't kidding about ending Y being permanently missable. If you don't know about it ahead of time and just do the natural thing and finish the fight, you're locked out of that ending forever. You can't even redo the fight with chapter select. You're just hosed. You'd have to start your game over from the beginning.

dont save files avoid this?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Oxxidation posted:

We just saw an entire transcript of the battle, at no point during it or any permutation of it does he outright say that.

Look up A2’s version of the fight. He says this is what happened to his clones.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

...! posted:

The game asks you if you want to save after beating the fight. If you decline, you get another chance.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Geemer posted:

The game asks you if you want to save after beating the fight. If you decline, you get another chance.

Assuming you know about the ending ahead of time, yes, but unless you have a friend just hanging over your shoulder waiting to yell "HA you beat emil and missed ending Y" but jumps the gun before you save, you're still likely hosed

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

It still kinda feels weird that Nier isn't a really obscure series anymore.

N:A is famous, but how many people are really familiar with the original game, or with any of the Drakengards?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Geemer posted:

Yeah but if you don't know about ending Y then you're going to say yes.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Atop his throne of suffering, Yoko Taro laughs.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
It's great; the one ending you can possibly miss is literally the hardest and most time consuming one to get in the entire game. And the people most likely to even get to the point where they can miss it are also those most likely to be incapable of just forgetting about it and letting it go. So, basically,

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Hahahaha, eat poo poo completionists!

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Atop his throne of suffering, Yoko Taro drinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I can't wait until Yoko Taro makes Nier 3 just so he can off a certain character from the last ending of Drakengard 3.

• Locked thread