Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Now I want a way to share systems with allies (and then have a total clusterfuck when we get divorced and each get half of the dog)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

GotLag posted:

0.75x hyperlanes on a spiral galaxy really is the way to go. You get some wonderful space terrain, which leads to stories.

My machine empire started near some erudite explorer lizards who were pretty chill, except that they took a system that blocked my access to further expansion up-arm. So I declared war, took it, immediately formed a NAP and then defensive pact (No harm no foul, right? Right? Look, sorry, but we really wanted that). Unfortunately for them, their other avenue for expansion was cockblocked by a spiritualist empire, so they just sat there in their 10-star empire until about 2400, at which point they asked to become my protectorate. I accepted, and will integrate them soon (I am running the Machines Co-exist mod, so they can participate in my empire as something other than Matrix pods).

Imagine being in that tiny star nation, watching the robot empire neighbouring you expanding and dominating a quarter of the galaxy. "That could have been us. That should have been us. But it isn't us, may as well ask the machines to take us in and make it official." :sigh:

That's the thing with these narrow-hyperlane setups, though: it invariably ends up with several empires per game getting hosed by terrain and doomed to irrelevance, which is kinda boring. I guess it's a little less awful if you also double the number of wormholes, but I think the tech comes a bit late to really save an empire that got hemmed in (especially if it's an AI).

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I've had over 100k fleet power for 50+ years, but neither of the two fallen empires (xenophobes and caretakers) seem to be waking up. At least that made it easy to murder the Xenophobes.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Mar 5, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Artificer posted:

You didn't give friends a break and some planets from the spiritualists to give them an exit corridor? drat dude. :(
I took some planets I wanted to give to a vassal or protectorate I forget which, but the option wasn't there. Can you not give planets to vassals/protectorates?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Splicer posted:

I took some planets I wanted to give to a vassal or protectorate I forget which, but the option wasn't there. Can you not give planets to vassals/protectorates?

Create a new trade deal, give them the system(s). They have to be neighbouring though, so if you want to give a chain of systems you'll have to spam deals to give them one at a time.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GotLag posted:

Create a new trade deal, give them the system(s). They have to be neighbouring though, so if you want to give a chain of systems you'll have to spam deals to give them one at a time.
Nah, the option isn't there at all. And the systems are entirely encased within their borders, they're a couple of rebels I decided to... deal with.

They're a funny bunch. They're egalitarian materialists with decadent, so they're constantly miserable and rebelling into authoritarians. I've modded it out of the guys on the planets I took, I'll probably integrate the rest and mod them and re-release them eventually.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I kind of want to create a mod that spawns more realistic star systems, and splits up and expands the class of uninhabitable planets a bit compared to what's already on the table (there's already plenty of mods for habitable planets). And on the topic of that I am wondering if anyone knows if I can set specify allowed orbit distances for randomly generated planets per star type? As far as I can tell it seems I can only specify a range of allowed orbits for a planet (that is for all stars) then for each star type select whether a certain type of planet is allowed to spawn or not. This is not ideal, as I'd like to have planets appear in reasonable orbits for their composition, size and temperature.

One solution is to make separate entries with the same stats and names for each star type that can spawn that planet, but that seems very clunky and will likely need alot more fiddling around with the files for deposits, anomalies, events and such than I think is reasonable. And for habitable planets it would really clutter up the interface when viewing habitability for a species for instance. So if there is some method to get around this that anyone knows of I'd be happy to know of it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Man, the diplo penalty for being Assimilators is dire. I started between some materialist turtles and some fanatic purifiers, which I figured was workable enough. I tried buttering up the materialists, but they rivaled me as soon as we touched borders, so I had to befriend them in that one other way. I also turned the purifiers into productive members of society, but I didn't get so much as a thank you from their former neighbors, who also ended up bordering and rivaling me. I managed to befriend some fanatic xenophiles enough to get a defense treaty, but they ended up joining the Federation of People Who Hate me, which cost me like 200 opinion points and made them hate me.

My only friends are a Hive Mind (which is cool with Assimilators and gets a diplomacy malus with everyone else) and some Barbaric Despoilers who are the other enemy of the Federation. The Great Khan popped up in the one spot that doesn't border any federation members, and took a third of my empire, as well as a good chunk of the Hive Mind and some Isolationists. I fell back to a chokepoint and fortified the hell out of it, but the Khan died of space fever before I could mount a counter-attack. I immediately rolled over the Diodachi and took the entire Khan empire in one fell swoop.

Which leads me to my current problem. I own maybe a third of the galaxy, and my empire comprises two larger chunks of space separated by a long, thin lane. I have a pair of wormholes connecting the far ends, but I need to slowboat it most anywhere. I also set wormholes to 2.5x, because I thought 1.25 gave a bit too few. This means that every federation member holds at least one wormhole which connects to the heart of my empire. The federation which holds half the galaxy and declared war on my ally.

So in addition to having enemies on every border, they can also pop out from any wormhole and mess up my poo poo. The one empire that isn't pathetic didn't even have the decency to attack me head-on, and instead attacked my border on the opposite side of the galaxy. Thankfully it's an ideology war rather than a total war, but that also means I have nothing to gain, since I can't make claims. I'm a bit nervous what will happen when the war ends, since I cannot possibly liberate every system, and I can't access the claims menu, so I don't know what I'll lose in a status quo. Also it's gonna be a huge pain in the rear end to assimilate all these pricks when I get the chance to be war leader, but by then my nanobot dispenser should be online.:unsmigghh:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm still mucking around with Victoria 3 and have started fiddling with the UI tiles that everything is displayed on. I like the look so far, but I don't trust my own sense of aesthetics.

Does this look too busy or ugly or erratic?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm still mucking around with Victoria 3 and have started fiddling with the UI tiles that everything is displayed on. I like the look so far, but I don't trust my own sense of aesthetics.

Does this look too busy or ugly or erratic?

Reminds me of Might and Magic VI store screens, I approve.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

President Ark posted:

xenophile/authoritarian, maybe?

it should definitely conflict with egalitarian

Yeah I've been thinking about it, does seem like the kind of people who want to put other people in glass cases to be looked at wouldn't be down with space communism. History taught us that much! Restricting it to authoritarian would limit the amount of government types I'd need to create if I wanted to go that route.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

AG3 posted:

I've had over 100k fleet power for 50+ years, but neither of the two fallen empires (xenophobes and caretakers) seem to be waking up. At least that made it easy to murder the Xenophobes.

I think they might be a bit broken, maybe with the beta patch?
As I said earlier mine have awoken but aren't actually doing anything!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

GotLag posted:

0.75x hyperlanes on a spiral galaxy really is the way to go. You get some wonderful space terrain, which leads to stories.

Honestly, I just keep finding it to be way too restrictive. I always get three non-intersecting series of hyperlane linked systems that snake all the way along the length of the arms.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Are military fleets supposed to ignore restrictions placed on systems and just path through them anyway?

If so, what the gently caress is the point?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GunnerJ posted:

Honestly, I just keep finding it to be way too restrictive. I always get three non-intersecting series of hyperlane linked systems that snake all the way along the length of the arms.
Yeah 0.75 was too restrictive to me too. I just start a game at 1.0 with Spiral Arms and it is usually fine. I want to figure out how that one guy that posted here modded it to be 0.88 by default in Defines or something. I checked out Defines and couldnt find an entry for that, but I may not have known what I was looking for.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

GotLag posted:

Are military fleets supposed to ignore restrictions placed on systems and just path through them anyway?

If so, what the gently caress is the point?
They're not. I've blocked off some marauder systems and my fleets have obediently skirted around them with no problem.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah, 1 on a four-spiral normal size is real good for me but .75 looks super dicey. Maybe they're playing on larger maps?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

So I love the fleet manager but I feel like it could use some improvements (or who knows, maybe these are already possible and I just don't know how).

1. A "copy template" button for if I want to make a new fleet identical to another.
2. A way to make a template out of a fleet as it exists in game and/or instantly update a fleet's template to match its current composition if there's a discrepancy.
3. A button to split out ships in a fleet but not included in the template. Example: a fleet has two destroyers, but I reduce the number of destroyers in the template to one. This button would remove one destroyer from the fleet attached to the template. I could then add it to another fleet, and update that fleet's template with what I mentioned in point 2 above.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah 0.75 was too restrictive to me too. I just start a game at 1.0 with Spiral Arms and it is usually fine. I want to figure out how that one guy that posted here modded it to be 0.88 by default in Defines or something. I checked out Defines and couldnt find an entry for that, but I may not have known what I was looking for.

I think you need the huge/large/medium/tiny.txt files in... setup_scenarios? Something like that? I think that worked for me. Phoneposting so I can’t check.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Splicer posted:

Yeah, 1 on a four-spiral normal size is real good for me but .75 looks super dicey. Maybe they're playing on larger maps?

I tried using a bigger galaxy size and it seemed like the same thing would happen. Then again, who knows, maybe it's actually the same as how it works in an elliptical galaxy but more noticeable because it's squeezed into arms?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GunnerJ posted:

3. A button to split out ships in a fleet but not included in the template. Example: a fleet has two destroyers, but I reduce the number of destroyers in the template to one. This button would remove one destroyer from the fleet attached to the template.
You can kind of do this. Reinforcing your fleet also kicks out any excess ships. You need to have something to reinforce to do it though.

Some a while back said it'd be neat if you could flag a fleet as "reserves" and reinforcing fleets would pull from the reserves before building new ships.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Splicer posted:

You can kind of do this. Reinforcing your fleet also kicks out any excess ships. You need to have something to reinforce to do it though.

Huh, this explains a few things I didn't understand.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

This might be hidden somewhere I missed it, but being able to turn off a station's shipyards for the purposes of reinforcement would be nice, if you've got some deep space shipyard for repairs and don't want reinforcements schlepping halfway across the galaxy

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

That reminds me of something else I noticed that was odd. I had my forward fleets based out of starbases that were mostly forts but had one slipway each so that I could upgrade the fleet without it travelling all the way to some other starbase. At some point, I think after I started building gateways to connect important systems, all my fleets would queue up to upgrade at one of these starbases. Like, the same one every time. It's not like the others were in use either.

Incidentally, I love wormholes and gateways. It's awesome that sometimes the fastest way across my empire is to go to the other side of the galaxy.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GunnerJ posted:

That reminds me of something else I noticed that was odd. I had my forward fleets based out of starbases that were mostly forts but had one slipway each so that I could upgrade the fleet without it travelling all the way to some other starbase. At some point, I think after I started building gateways to connect important systems, and all my fleets would queue up to upgrade at one of these starbases. Like, the same one every time. It's not like the others were in use either.

Incidentally, I love wormholes and gateways. It's awesome that sometimes the fastest way across my empire is to go to the other side of the galaxy.
I think fleets reinforce from their homebase regardless of where it is.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Ofaloaf posted:

They're not. I've blocked off some marauder systems and my fleets have obediently skirted around them with no problem.

Yeah, they're skirting them now. It seems like there's some slight delay from marking a system no-go and ships starting to exclude it from paths, though.

GunnerJ posted:

That reminds me of something else I noticed that was odd. I had my forward fleets based out of starbases that were mostly forts but had one slipway each so that I could upgrade the fleet without it travelling all the way to some other starbase. At some point, I think after I started building gateways to connect important systems, all my fleets would queue up to upgrade at one of these starbases. Like, the same one every time. It's not like the others were in use either.

The weirdness I've noticed is that ships in their home system will travel to some other spaceport if told to heal, if the systems are directly connected by gates (as all good production systems should be).

Edit: I've just managed to form defensive pacts with two empires that are rivalling each other. I wonder how this will play out.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think fleets reinforce from their homebase regardless of where it is.

I don't mean reinforcement, I mean upgrading to new models. For most of the game they'd upgrade right where they were. Somehow it looks like adding a gateway to systems made traveling to some starbase on the other side of the empire seem like a more sensible way of updating than just using the slipway they were docked at...?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Maybe there's some kind of funky negative weighting given to gates for pathing, that makes another gate-connected system more desirable than the current system.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GunnerJ posted:

I don't mean reinforcement, I mean upgrading to new models. For most of the game they'd upgrade right where they were. Somehow it looks like adding a gateway to systems made traveling to some starbase on the other side of the empire seem like a more sensible way of updating than just using the slipway they were docked at...?
O....oh. That is odd.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Ha, the wraith emerged from a pulsar in my territory... and made a beeline for Sanctuary where it lasted about 10 seconds against the defensive stations.

lol eat poo poo you spectral bastard

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've only ever heard of this happening in systems with gateways, so that sounds very likely.

The fleet manager really needs the ctrl/shift click for 10/100 increments. Making a new fleet from scratch is a lot of clicks, especially if it has a lot of corvettes (or, worst case, is 200 corvettes).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

GunnerJ posted:

I had the same thing....all my factory star bases were connected by gateways and at some point every fleet - based out of a separate factory base - would decide that no, gotta upgrade at Barban.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

ulmont posted:

I had the same thing....all my factory star bases were connected by gateways and at some point every fleet - based out of a separate factory base - would decide that no, gotta upgrade at Barban.

Same in my game. Doesn't matter what system they're parked in, gotta upgrade in Trappist, gently caress my local starbase that I'm currently docked at.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

jng2058 posted:

You can make new claims during a war, but they cost x2 or x3 influence depending on whether you are the defender our attacker. Expensive, but sometimes worth it.
Oh I didnt know this was possible, thank you! It let me have Prettier Borders because i had forgot to claim a 2 energy star that was clustered up with some other, better, stars.

King Doom posted:

From the Sol System, right? these guys were the all stars of the very first game of Stellaris I ever played.
I forgot to mention that I got them as refugees - I have no idea where they came from. Without them I would be stuck at 3 planets right now because I only have size 10 planets or a bunch of 20% habitability stuff like size 23 Ocean and size 24 Tomb World. Instead I am at 6 and counting because they can settle on that stuff and on the deserts that I am conquering from a neighbor.

King Doom posted:

I was messing about with an ultra friendly super sciencey race and I found the Sol tomb world on the other side of the galaxy and those guys were on it, so I built an outpost and uplifted them. And then some fanatic purifiers blindsided me and conquered basically every one of my original planets, leaving me with a tomb world full of uplifted bugs.

As emergent stories go, it was pretty awesome. A bunch of only just raised to sentience bugs left alone after their uplifters just vanish one day. They had the prole trait, so they were awful at science, but awesome at building, so they build a fleet and go flying back towards where their buddies are. There's a slaver empire in the way though, so they have to smash through them by flying fleet after fleet after fleet of crappy ships, till the slavers are just overwhelmed. Maybe the slavers are the reason the uplifters vanished? the slavers get purged, just in case. So does a despotic empire and a one planet sized purifier civilisation who picked the worst time to make the trip to the stars.

Finally the Roachoids make it back to the uplifters home system, obliterating the original fanatic purifiers fleet in a battle where the purifiers are outnumbered five to one and the planet is liberated! The Roachoids finally get to meet their uplifters face to face, all two of the pops that hadn't been purged yet. The Roachoids mass migrate to their new homeworld to guard their uplifters.

Of course, by this point the threat they've built up means that all the neighbouring races are starting to build up, so it was time or the Roachoids to rally their own fleets again...
:vince:

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 5, 2018

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Staltran posted:

I think you need the huge/large/medium/tiny.txt files in... setup_scenarios? Something like that? I think that worked for me. Phoneposting so I can’t check.

That's exactly what you do, yeah: change "num_hyperlanes" in those .txt files in map/setup_scenarios.

I threw up a quick-and-dirty Workshop mod for it, and then found that there are actually a couple of other mods playing much more clever tricks with the hyperlane generation defines too. (do a search for "density" on the workshop).

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Staltran posted:

I've only ever heard of this happening in systems with gateways, so that sounds very likely.

The fleet manager really needs the ctrl/shift click for 10/100 increments. Making a new fleet from scratch is a lot of clicks, especially if it has a lot of corvettes (or, worst case, is 200 corvettes).

Balance for corvette spam!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

uber_stoat posted:

so some of my pops became psychic and the rest of them, most of the race, are now set to be "undesirables" and are being purged. and I can't change the species settings to make it so that this isn't happening. I can reload to a save before I did it, but I'm just curious as to what the hell is actually happening here.

Pop modding by event has been hosed for like three patches now, it’s ridiculous. The problem is that when a pop is modded by event, instead of creating a subspecies it creates an entirely new one, so cybernetic pops, psychic pops, and any pop which self-modifies immediately ceases to be a member of their old species.

There’s a value “is_mod = yes” which should prevent this, but it’s currently nonfunctional.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
My fleets total 30k and I've just had the contingency pop up in my space...

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
I just started playing the game yesterday, and my first start has me playing with a wormhole right next store.

How do I research the technology to stabilize it? Will it just come up as an option under one of the scientist research options eventually, or do I have to build some sort of sequence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Catfish Noodlin posted:

I just started playing the game yesterday, and my first start has me playing with a wormhole right next store.

How do I research the technology to stabilize it? Will it just come up as an option under one of the scientist research options eventually, or do I have to build some sort of sequence?

Hyperdrive tier 2 is a prereq for Wormhole Stabilization to show up. It's a Physics tech.