Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

aware of dog posted:

Snap thinks people still want their dumb glasses, and will reportedly be shipping Spectacles 2.0 this fall

It's going to be Spectacular. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Did specs 1.0 ever get hacked?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

RandomPauI posted:

Did specs 1.0 ever get hacked?

Since all they are is a camera with bluetooth functionality to move things to a phone or tablet, the only hacks that seem to have come out are people finding ways to make it record more than 10 seconds of video at once. And of course, people determining the best way to cover over the "i'm recording now" LED indicators.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Of course not. The whole point isn't that you think chickens are cool or that you want high quality eggs (though chances are the chickens are getting terrible dietary supplements and/or are eating soylent rendering that point moot). The point is to do something ~new and special~ that makes you hip and remarkable and lets you smugly pretend you're ~connecting with your roots~ while just happening to also show off your money in a roundabout way.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

suck my woke dick posted:

Of course not. The whole point isn't that you think chickens are cool or that you want high quality eggs (though chances are the chickens are getting terrible dietary supplements and/or are eating soylent rendering that point moot). The point is to do something ~new and special~ that makes you hip and remarkable and lets you smugly pretend you're ~connecting with your roots~ while just happening to also show off your money in a roundabout way.
Having an actual yard in this town implies being a multi-millionaire. I don't see how the chickens are relevant.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
It could also imply being hill folk.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

ShadowHawk posted:

Having an actual yard in this town implies being a multi-millionaire. I don't see how the chickens are relevant.

“yo i have a yard” is a bit too on the nose

“yo i, a brogrammer, have chickens” lets everyone know you also have a yard

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I think maybe '45 year old tech worker guy with some kids and some chickens' is too far an extension of the term 'brogrammer'.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Raising chickens as egg laying family pets has been a thing forever, being upset about this seems really weird. Pretty much every picture in the whole article shows a family with a little kid. What a weird thing to be angry about.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Raising chickens as egg laying family pets has been a thing forever, being upset about this seems really weird. Pretty much every picture in the whole article shows a family with a little kid. What a weird thing to be angry about.

Most people don't keep them in $20000 coops and feed them steak and organic watermelon. Also, consider that this is Silicon "gently caress the poor and long live our property values" Valley. These same people will gladly block homeless housing assistance while spending a full family's income on chickens. It's just one more plop on a big poo poo sundae.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Sundae posted:

Most people don't keep them in $20000 coops

The guy in the story has 13 chickens and three sheep, the dude built a barn, what a monster.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ShadowHawk posted:

they're also breeding and tracking the traits of heirloom varieties which is pretty inverted from throwing corn amongst the yard birds

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

you realize this is actually the designated "let's laugh at silicon valley" therad and not the "argue with fishmech about linux" thread

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

boner confessor posted:

they're also breeding and tracking the traits of heirloom varieties which is pretty inverted from throwing corn amongst the yard birds

you realize this is actually the designated "let's laugh at silicon valley" therad and not the "argue with fishmech about linux" thread

I thought this was the self-driving cars thread

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

The guy in the story has 13 chickens and three sheep, the dude built a barn, what a monster.
He's appropriating hillbilly cultural values :mad:

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

suck my woke dick posted:

"our chickens end up eating grilled salmon, steak, fresh lettuce and organic watermelon.”"

:lol:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Andrast posted:

I thought this was the self-driving cars thread

self driving chickens running chrome OS thread

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Elias_Maluco posted:

self driving chickens running chrome OS thread

We've sucessful used birds as guidance systems:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...elTTNJmkBlN3mZA

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wanna shove evan spiegel in a goddamn locker.

also lmao:

quote:

Kerr described Spiegel as "very traditional" and said that he believes in sex after marriage.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

Did you run out of actual things to whine about and had to move on to freaking out someone built a barn for their 20 chickens?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Did you run out of actual things to whine about and had to move on to freaking out someone built a barn for their 20 chickens?

there's only one person whining and freaking out itt at this moment. stay tuned for the shocking reveal!

"haha look at these idiots doing the hipster chicken coop thing but like, way more expensive. lol dorks"

"why is this funny? i dont get the joke?! this is normal? everyone's freaking out, stop it you whiners aaaaRRRGH" *angrily installs firefox*

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

boner confessor posted:

"haha look at these idiots doing the hipster chicken coop thing but like, way more expensive. lol dorks"

I mean, it's talking about people with like 20 chickens and some sheep and stuff. I am sure you can build a barn or whatever for less than 20,000 but that is not even any sort of crazy amount. Not so crazy anyone needs to clutch pearls over it.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese is the living embodiment of annoying consumerist culture so of course he feels the need to defend even the most cartoonishly excessive instances of social signaling.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, it's talking about people with like 20 chickens and some sheep and stuff. I am sure you can build a barn or whatever for less than 20,000 but that is not even any sort of crazy amount. Not so crazy anyone needs to clutch pearls over it.

im sure if you keep insisting everyone but you is Extremely Mad it will eventually come true

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Facebook clarifies (?) its stance on child grooming.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Facebook asks users: should we allow men to ask children for sexual images?
Social network admits survey asking whether it should permit adults to ask 14-year-old girl for sexual pictures was a mistake

can't wait to hear the nuanced, thoughtful, libertarian, ancap thoughts

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

"This content should be allowed on Facebook, and I would not mind seeing it" is a great line to be admitted as evidence after Facebook sends the results of their honeypot survey to the authorities.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grooming partners as children has been a thing forever, being upset about this seems really weird. Pretty much every picture in the whole article shows a family with a little kid. What a weird thing to be angry about.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Trabisnikof posted:

Grooming partners as children has been a thing forever, being upset about this seems really weird. Pretty much every picture in the whole article shows a family with a little kid. What a weird thing to be angry about.

I loved your movie Manhattan. Great cinematography.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

9-Volt Assault posted:

"our chickens end up eating grilled salmon, steak, fresh lettuce and organic watermelon.”"
This is journalist for "I asked them if they feed leftovers to the chickens instead of throwing them in the trash, they said yes, then I made them clarify and took it out of context".

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

lol that Facebook poll indicates how the folks making decisions there are fuckin out of the loop of normal irl society

"a piece of the puzzle we just can't figure out is seeing if the unwashed sub-millionaires are down with grooming children as sex partners- one this that is baffling: how do they afford the private jet?"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

ShadowHawk posted:

This is journalist for "I asked them if they feed leftovers to the chickens instead of throwing them in the trash, they said yes, then I made them clarify and took it out of context".
Yeah I don't want to defend the millionaire hipster whatever he is in any general sense, but I had exactly the same thought.

edit: VVV I was wrong!

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 6, 2018

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Proactively policing private messages is not a thing any major form of communication does. If Facebook wants to move in that direction it’s not necessarily bad but it makes sense they would proceed with a lot of input on how to make those policies. Like it’d be really wild if a phone company announced it was going to actively screen all calls for pedophiles and it might be good if they did but they probably would do survays too on how to figure out a policy like that. Especially if they were looking at a range of policing, like if an email company was going to search all messages for drug deals that would be horrific but looking for pedophiles sorta doesn’t bother me and figuring out where people break on that stuff seems not crazy.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Proactively policing private messages is not a thing any major form of communication does. If Facebook wants to move in that direction it’s not necessarily bad but it makes sense they would proceed with a lot of input on how to make those policies. Like it’d be really wild if a phone company announced it was going to actively screen all calls for pedophiles and it might be good if they did but they probably would do survays too on how to figure out a policy like that. Especially if they were looking at a range of policing, like if an email company was going to search all messages for drug deals that would be horrific but looking for pedophiles sorta doesn’t bother me and figuring out where people break on that stuff seems not crazy.

No it makes no sense to ask if adults sexually harassing children is ok. It's already manifestly not ok.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

pangstrom posted:

Yeah I don't want to defend the millionaire hipster whatever he is in any general sense, but I had exactly the same thought.

Nope, they explicitly said they *weren’t* feeding them scraps:

quote:

“We spend an insane amount of money. We thought we’d feed them leftovers, but our chickens end up eating grilled salmon, steak, fresh lettuce and organic watermelon.”

Bonus lol

quote:

At least one of Citroen’s clients has a personal chef who cooks for her chickens.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

No it makes no sense to ask if adults sexually harassing children is ok. It's already manifestly not ok.

Absolutely not ok. But like, no other medium of communication proactively policies something like that. Like it would be an absolutely massive deal if a phone company or something did it. But at the same time it does really make sense for facebook to be in a good position to monitor private messages in a way that is different than other sorts of private messages so it's not crazy to suggest they should. Still, if they are looking to monitor and moderate private communication it makes sense for them to seek input from the public on how to best do it. Like I guess it made a laugh o rama by having generic questions that don't apply well to something so illegal and immoral as sexting children but it was a multi question survey about a bunch of topics and they all had the same set of possible answers.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Absolutely not ok. But like, no other medium of communication proactively policies something like that. Like it would be an absolutely massive deal if a phone company or something did it. But at the same time it does really make sense for facebook to be in a good position to monitor private messages in a way that is different than other sorts of private messages so it's not crazy to suggest they should. Still, if they are looking to monitor and moderate private communication it makes sense for them to seek input from the public on how to best do it. Like I guess it made a laugh o rama by having generic questions that don't apply well to something so illegal and immoral as sexting children but it was a multi question survey about a bunch of topics and they all had the same set of possible answers.

It's literally a crime to sexually harass children, and the question is "in an ideal world, what should we do". There can be no other answer than "don't allow this".

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
They might not really care about the answer and are trying to out pedos in their userbase

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
loving lol at owlofcreamcheese defending pedophiles right to privacy

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

fishmech posted:

It's literally a crime to sexually harass children, and the question is "in an ideal world, what should we do". There can be no other answer than "don't allow this".

I mean, literally every other form of private communication ignores it. maybe they shouldn't but you can call people on the phone or send letters in the mail or through email or text messages or slack or twitter DMs or something and commit all sorts of crimes and they all turn a blind eye and at most passively store things incase a warrant comes. Facebook being proactive about it might be a good thing, but it's not the normal way this stuff works so determining how policy on something like that should be formed isn't a nutty idea. It's gonna be a thing someone is gonna have to figure out the details on. Especially if it's for many types of crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, literally every other form of private communication ignores it.

a) no, "literally every other form" doesn't
b) It's asking for an ideal world, and if your answer for in an ideal world is anything but "no sexual harassment" then you shouldn't be allowed near kids.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

maybe they shouldn't but you can call people on the phone or send letters in the mail or through email or text messages or slack or twitter DMs or something and commit all sorts of crimes and they all turn a blind eye and at most passively store things incase a warrant comes.

Enough about all the ways you harass kids and get away with it, all sorts of email providers will monitor incoming and outgoing messages (particularly business email servers), Slack will absolutely let administrators monitor direct messages - it's a feature Slack has for paid use to meet records compliance requirements. And all sorts of sites out there do keep track of messages between users that aren't "public".

fishmech fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Mar 6, 2018