Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Wow Bagger posted:

Found a fun bug. The neighbouring civ is really determined to use the stop colossus cassus belli against me, despite the fact that I haven't even researched destroyer tech yet.

One of those warnings shows up every in-game day.

"We will be greeted as liberators!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I just did two subjugation wars where I couldn't enforce my CB unless I took every planet, but once I did it instead annexed them entirely. I was able to release them as vassals at that point and trade back their planets but I don't think that's WAD? Beta patch

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
From my current game as the benevolent AI-Gods of the Techno Core: Holy poo poo, the part of the galaxy to my south-west is swarming with space amoeba! One of my neighbours is (due to bad lane placement) basically boxed in and hat multiple early game fleets mutilated by them. And my own science ships are constantly turned back by them.

It got so bad I had to build up a fleet base at my border to that region, just so I could assign a fleet to that region for basically forever: A couple more engagements, and I'll get regenerative hull tissue without having spend a single day of research on it

And still there are more of them, turning up just when I think to myself: Now that should be the last of them.

At least crystals and mining drones don't move around!

(But I have to confess, this ongoing hunt to clear the space lanes for civilization is kind of fun, if a bit tedious)

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Libluini posted:

(But I have to confess, this ongoing hunt to clear the space lanes for civilization is kind of fun, if a bit tedious)

I actually thought that was how the new pirates were supposed to be like. Having to keep patrolling the badlands for pirate activity instead of them just poofing into existence.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

I actually thought that was how the new pirates were supposed to be like. Having to keep patrolling the badlands for pirate activity instead of them just poofing into existence.

At least now that the mighty Techno Core has Enigmatic Engineering, I always know exactly where the pirates are. Space amoebas are kind of hard to find, except for when they stumble over my science ships. :v:

Question to the thread: What do you feel is more annoying, having to hunt around outside to find space pirates, or having them assault you constantly, but from an easy-to-reach border system?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Man, enforcing ideology is really tough. It'd just be easier to capture a bunch of their systems and turn them into a puppet state

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Life Seeded owns bones and fits my playstyle 100%, thanks wiz.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Hmm, tried a despoiler run just now, but got spanked on my first war a few years in. I'm guessing that I should be making GBS threads out starbases to claim more resources as soon as I have the influence? I was focusing on building up my fleet first, but that obviously didn't work.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Soonmot posted:

Hmm, tried a despoiler run just now, but got spanked on my first war a few years in. I'm guessing that I should be making GBS threads out starbases to claim more resources as soon as I have the influence? I was focusing on building up my fleet first, but that obviously didn't work.

yeah, expand as much as possible peacefully before warring. just make sure you set the game up with max AIs so that you can't expand peacefully for 100 years because half of the galaxy is never claimed

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

Splicer posted:

You can kind of do this. Reinforcing your fleet also kicks out any excess ships. You need to have something to reinforce to do it though.

Some a while back said it'd be neat if you could flag a fleet as "reserves" and reinforcing fleets would pull from the reserves before building new ships.

MoO3 had a strategic reserve that all ships and armies were produced into and pulled from and it actually worked pretty well. Putting ships or troops back into reserves would put them on a delay timer, so it was fast for all the way across your empire redeployments but otherwise you just moved ships normally.

its amazing how bad they hosed up by pushing that game out before it was ready, cuz it had a lot of good ideas.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

MoO3 ...
...its amazing how bad they hosed up by pushing that game out before it was ready, cuz it had a lot of good ideas.
Hah! I completely forgot that they even made it. What ever happened to it? I remember hearing that Paradox tried to buy the IP a while back, several years ago now.

edit: Wasnt it bought by the same company that owns WoT but some random developer in South America actually made the game?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Nevets posted:

A big issue was that whenever I attacked with multiple fleets at once the ones with Titans engaged the enemies as soon as they drop out of hyperspace, and charge forward at combat speeds, while the other fleets move forward at regular speed until they get near artillery range. So you end up with 2 or 3 waves of ships instead of one concentrated attack.

Are some fleets set to aggressive (will beeline towards a hostile in system immediately) and some are on passive (will fight when they get engaged but otherwise will chill through)?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Splicer posted:

So there is an actual difference between combat and regular sublight travel? Can you turn that off?

I didn't measure it, but I know that corvettes travel 3x faster than battleships, so as soon as battle is joined the faster ships in the engaged fleets peel off, while the faster ships in the unengaged fleets keep formation.

^^Edit: nope, everbody set to the same.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

MoO3 had a strategic reserve that all ships and armies were produced into and pulled from and it actually worked pretty well. Putting ships or troops back into reserves would put them on a delay timer, so it was fast for all the way across your empire redeployments but otherwise you just moved ships normally.

its amazing how bad they hosed up by pushing that game out before it was ready, cuz it had a lot of good ideas.

Yeah moo3 was too ambitious for its budget/time and was pushed out way way too early. Could have been something really special.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Are some fleets set to aggressive (will beeline towards a hostile in system immediately) and some are on passive (will fight when they get engaged but otherwise will chill through)?

it's a range thing

fleets don't go into combat at a set distance; combat begins at the edge of the range of the longest-range weapon in either fleet. this has all kinds of weird consequences: missile corvette fleets are the best pursuers to trap a fleeing enemy because they're both fast and long-range, while gun/laser corvettes are less easily caught themselves. XL weapons have enormous range so any fleet that includes them will enter combat from very far away while accompanying fleets that have no XL weapons will not and may have to be manually ordered closer.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, the combat system is really weird (bad) and you'll often want to include a few ships with super long range weapons just to trigger combat sooner since combat acts as a FTL snare and forces all ships involved to fly straight at each other.

Alternatively if you want to make a stealthy hit-and-run fleet you want super low-range weapons. They can be useful for clearing out monsters and things in system, allowing you to just "pull" a fleet or two without being forced to engage the whole system.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, the combat system is really weird (bad) and you'll often want to include a few ships with super long range weapons just to trigger combat sooner since combat acts as a FTL snare and forces all ships involved to fly straight at each other.

Alternatively if you want to make a stealthy hit-and-run fleet you want super low-range weapons. They can be useful for clearing out monsters and things in system, allowing you to just "pull" a fleet or two without being forced to engage the whole system.

i think the weirdness of it would be really interesting if the AI could engage in the same tactical position & fleet composition manipulation that the player can, it's just kind of an extra player-only tool as it is though.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Any word on them fixing the unity bug in 2.0.2? I prefer the beta patch over live but that much unity feels like cheating.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Jazerus posted:

i think the weirdness of it would be really interesting if the AI could engage in the same tactical position & fleet composition manipulation that the player can, it's just kind of an extra player-only tool as it is though.

Yeah it ends up feeling really gamey as you micro-click you fleet pixel by pixel hoping to "pull" the enemy fleet without triggering others.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sedisp posted:

Any word on them fixing the unity bug in 2.0.2? I prefer the beta patch over live but that much unity feels like cheating.
Wait, what bug?

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah it ends up feeling really gamey as you micro-click you fleet pixel by pixel hoping to "pull" the enemy fleet without triggering others.
This is part of what I hated about the game at-launch, but they fixed mining stations having guns not powerful enough to even destroy a single starting corvette but it made them "armed" and thus caused fleets to go out of their way to engage them. Also the whole "stop, shuffle around to get into the right rigid obtuse and stupid formation while moving slowly in the direction of the escaping enemy fleet, then saunter at speeds less than half of what they move outside of combat towards the enemy fleet that is now 90% ready to warp out of the system" problem

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Mar 5, 2018

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

When they fixed the unity scaling improperly it looks like they bugged it the other way so that unity costs don't go up as much as they should.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I keep bringing up how buggy the game is in this thread but it seems to be ignored! In 2.0.2, Tradition costs do not scale properly with colonies. In fact, they don't scale at all with colonies, despite what the tooltip would have you believe. The 1% increase per system is being applied twice instead.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Sedisp posted:

i am playing my 2.0.2 game on 2x tech/unity. it turns out the balance is kind of better with 2x tech, and it evens out the unity cost to something closer to intended.

in 2.0.1, the unity penalty for colonies and systems was multiplied instead of added, making unity much slower than intended. in 2.0.2, systems give double their intended penalty while colonies give no penalty at all due to a typo, making it much faster than intended

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I've read that they're not properly accounting for number of colonies somehow. This being the internet, I'm not sure if it's "colonies aren't counted against you at all" or "they count less than they should".

I have kind of wondered why, even now that I'm up to 15 planets and at the end of the tree, I was still pulling in a new tradition every 4-5 years. I have made sure to dedicate every possible tile to unity production and buy every possible edict for it...but still. It seemed fast.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Sylink posted:

Is there any mechanism in game to quickly cycle through the surface screens of planets so I can go upgrade them all etc without zooming in and out of the system view ?

Outliner can be used to cycle sector planets too, click on the planet icon on the left edge of the sector's entry.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

So I got bored and decided to do a new start, and to maximize my initial growth I uh... dissasembled my starting fleet so I could get more mineral production freed up

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I cant say i like marauders in the beta patch. It's way too easy to pay them off and never have to fight them, ever. Even the first time a raiding fleet shows up 500 energy is basically nothing compared to the expense of fighting them or rebuilding after they attack.

Yeah their demands should scale as the game goes on. I got a notice of a raid coming my way from across the galaxy, positioned my fleets in the most likely spot. Then after like 20 years of waiting, I get the notice that they are returning home after losses suffered. I wish I knew what happened, makes me think they ran across a drake or something.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Magil Zeal posted:

I keep bringing up how buggy the game is in this thread but it seems to be ignored! In 2.0.2, Tradition costs do not scale properly with colonies. In fact, they don't scale at all with colonies, despite what the tooltip would have you believe. The 1% increase per system is being applied twice instead.
You were having a meltdown about how systems shouldnt cost any unity penalty and then I started ignoring your posts. Many people have brought up bugs and how the 2.0.2 patch is buggy, and understandably so because they just did a major overhaul of the game less than two weeks ago. I have no idea what you are talking about with this "but it seems to be ignored"; you are being ignored because you spent two pages posting nonsense about expansion costs.

Zore posted:

When they fixed the unity scaling improperly it looks like they bugged it the other way so that unity costs don't go up as much as they should.

Jazerus posted:

in 2.0.1, the unity penalty for colonies and systems was multiplied instead of added, making unity much slower than intended. in 2.0.2, systems give double their intended penalty while colonies give no penalty at all due to a typo, making it much faster than intended

ConfusedUs posted:

I've read that they're not properly accounting for number of colonies somehow. This being the internet, I'm not sure if it's "colonies aren't counted against you at all" or "they count less than they should".

I have kind of wondered why, even now that I'm up to 15 planets and at the end of the tree, I was still pulling in a new tradition every 4-5 years. I have made sure to dedicate every possible tile to unity production and buy every possible edict for it...but still. It seemed fast.

Thanks gents! Good to know my game as a Fanatic Spiritualist making stupid amounts of Unity is at least somewhat of a lie, now i wont be surprised when it is not as good once the bug is fixed.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

This being the internet, I'm not sure if it's "colonies aren't counted against you at all" or "they count less than they should".

It was confirmed by a designer who explained exactly what was happening. It does make for a very strange kind of game, I admit, where at the end unity ambitions are so cheap I can easily run all of them at once.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

You were having a meltdown about how systems shouldnt cost any unity penalty and then I started ignoring your posts. Many people have brought up bugs and how the 2.0.2 patch is buggy, and understandably so because they just a major overhaul of the game less than two weeks ago. I have no idea what you are talking about with this "but it seems to be ignored"; you are being ignored because you spent two pages posting nonsense about expansion costs.

Nope! I never said systems shouldn't cost any unity penalty, actually. You must be confused.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

edit: not worth it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Mar 5, 2018

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Uh... okay? You didn't need to quote all of them. But what I said was that systems shouldn't cost any research penalty (and provided some arguments as to why). I didn't say anything about not costing unity. In fact, I reinforced the idea that the unity penalty was a balancing factor.

Not that it's working correctly in 2.0.2.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Mar 5, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

No one cares who was right in a pages long stellaris argument.

Good to know why I had tapped out the entire unity tree by the early mid-game though. Is there any buzz or ETA on 2.0.3 ?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Magil Zeal posted:

Uh... okay? You didn't need to quote all of them. But what I said was that systems shouldn't cost any research penalty (and provided some arguments as to why). I didn't say anything about not costing unity. In fact, I reinforced the idea that the unity penalty was a balancing factor.

Not that it's working correctly in 2.0.2.
Yeah sorry, I re-read some of them and you make some good points (and quite a few I disagree with, but that is not what this is about) in there but it was a bit much. You caught me before I could edit.

Baronjutter posted:

No one cares who was right in a pages long stellaris argument.

Good to know why I had tapped out the entire unity tree by the early mid-game though. Is there any buzz or ETA on 2.0.3 ?
You're right, I edited it.

I hope 2.0.3 is soon.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I do admit, seeing the screenshots of the min-maxers who after they finish expanding go back and delete all the unnecessary starbases is kind of amusing though. Huge, holey Swiss-cheese empires.

I'm just a bit irritated that some things in the game still don't work properly, like +range modifiers (there are a lot of these in the game, and they're all nonfunctional). That's been around since before 2.0. And then yesterday I met some Rogue Servitors who really suck at being Rogue Servitors. I'm about to finish my second game in 2.0 and it just seems to be more of the same poo poo as before. It feels like the game has not significantly improved.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Baronjutter posted:

Also when I kill a marauder "civilization" there's always an event about them getting a revenge attack on your home system. I always get the event but never once an attacking fleet.

It definitely can happen, the one time I took out a marauder civilisation I got attacked at home.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Gort posted:

It definitely can happen, the one time I took out a marauder civilisation I got attacked at home.

Yeah, it happens. The fleet can also just get destroyed on the way by a space monster or something. One particular marauder empire loved to send fleets at me straight through the Ether Drake system. That didn't work out well for them. On the other hand one time I destroyed one on my border and the revenge fleet managed to take out a few starbases before I could catch it. Which is unfortunate since the "revenge" fleet seems to actually destroy starbases rather than just disable them like normal raiding parties.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'll still die on the hill that they need to ditch the tile system entirely. It's not fun for humans and the AI absolutely can't handle it in the slightest.

I'm still invading mid and late game empires where half the tiles are empty. I'm still releasing 3-4 planet vassals who can't balance their economy and are constantly starving, hitting their energy, and making them demolish buildings. I've created whole self-sufficient planets, released them as vassals, and come back to look 100 years later to find a bunch of the tiles empty and the capital building some how demolished while everyone sits at 0% happiness from starvation.

I had a neighbouring empire who never built any research stations. Big empire with lots of juicy +4 research deposits, all untapped. Why? From the huge value they placed on me trading them energy, it seemed they were out of energy. They had a bunch of empty tiles on their planets, many with energy bonuses, but built nothing on them. Their people were also starving, I think from buildings being shut down from lack of energy.

Sometimes the AI will get it right and fully build out planets and have citizens with over 50% happiness and generally act like a rational space country, but most of the time I see empires totally unable to cope with the tile or economic system, trapped in an economic death spiral and existing only through cheating to keep their fleet up.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I don't get how Civ 5 was able to allocate pops to tiles just fine and you could even pick a focus that would do a decent job of allocating workers to prioritize that thing like food or production or research (it wasn't the best at minmaxing specialists for sure though)

Why can't I pick a Mineral / Energy / Science focus for the planet and have the AI come up with a 80-90% efficient pop allocation so that I don't have to? It would make sectors work properly too.

Like, whatever logic you need for the AI to math out tile assignments doesn't seem hopelessly complex and other games have it, here's hoping it shows up in Stellaris sometime. "general" to maximize yields, and then a few specialized templates that will get you decent pop distribution favoring that resource.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AtomikKrab posted:

So I got bored and decided to do a new start, and to maximize my initial growth I uh... dissasembled my starting fleet so I could get more mineral production freed up

This is interesting. So what happens when the first pirates show up? Will you be able to rebuild your fleet fast enough to stop them, or will they raze your empire to the ground? Don't leave us hanging!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

GotLag posted:

0.75x hyperlanes on a spiral galaxy really is the way to go. You get some wonderful space terrain, which leads to stories.

My machine empire started near some erudite explorer lizards who were pretty chill, except that they took a system that blocked my access to further expansion up-arm. So I declared war, took it, immediately formed a NAP and then defensive pact (No harm no foul, right? Right? Look, sorry, but we really wanted that). Unfortunately for them, their other avenue for expansion was cockblocked by a spiritualist empire, so they just sat there in their 10-star empire until about 2400, at which point they asked to become my protectorate. I accepted, and will integrate them soon (I am running the Machines Co-exist mod, so they can participate in my empire as something other than Matrix pods).

Imagine being in that tiny star nation, watching the robot empire neighbouring you expanding and dominating a quarter of the galaxy. "That could have been us. That should have been us. But it isn't us, may as well ask the machines to take us in and make it official." :sigh:

I had one of those guys in my game. Poor empire spawned locked into a handful of systems by a hefty void cloud fleet in a chokepoint, and by the time I realized what was happening it was too late to help them. Even after destroying the void clouds for them they never managed to expand, and eventually they came over and asked my dreaded assimilators to take them in.