Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

of loving course it's McArdle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

oh, right, i almost forgot WaPo hired Megan loving McArdle

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Algund Eenboom posted:

both of you should be permabanned

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Algund Eenboom posted:

both of you should be permabanned

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

babypolis posted:

i resent the idea that business is the actual study of economics. business school is a 4 year nursery for trust fund kids
I would hope it actually teaches how to manage a capitalist business, b/c lol if it doesn't even accomplish that

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

lol whining about economic boycotts thanks wapo

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

the failing new york times washington post

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/970382685574221831

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

isn't that what they tried in the 2016 campaign

also lmao

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I haven't read the article, but they just need to wait a bit for the world to be ruled by illiberal empires again.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
bad dems want to be the party of flag waving so bad it's like an obsession

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I haven't read the article, but they just need to wait a bit for the world to be ruled by illiberal empires again.

Some of those empires were actually pretty liberal.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Some of those empires were actually pretty liberal.
Which ones?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

France was on again off again, but the bulk of France as a modern empire was a liberal state. You could argue the British were fairly liberal too, by deed if not tradition or the letter of the law. The Kingdom of Italy had a 50 year streak as a liberal state before it fell apart from WW1 and fascism.

The French especially embodied what might be conceived as a "liberal nationalism" because they tried to universalize Frenchness and force everyone to become French regardless of race or creed - and being French meant in part accepting their liberal mores.

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

remember the dnc which was like straight up reaganite flag waving patriotism through and through. or how the only thiings the dems seem to care about is russian subversion, and maintaining the Dignity of the Office. lol at the idea that american liberals arent dumb nationalists in their own way

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

France was on again off again, but the bulk of France as a modern empire was a liberal state. You could argue the British were fairly liberal too, by deed if not tradition or the letter of the law. The Kingdom of Italy had a 50 year streak as a liberal state before it fell apart from WW1 and fascism.

The French especially embodied what might be conceived as a "liberal nationalism" because they tried to universalize Frenchness and force everyone to become French regardless of race or creed - and being French meant in part accepting their liberal mores.
Definitely agree about the French Empire embodying the ideal of "liberal nationalism", for better and worse, but the ideology had its origins in (opposition to) the Ancien Régime. That's the period which I'm talking about, which set the stage for liberal nationalists to set up the liberal empires you were talking about. Or fail, where reactionary forces managed to tame the power of nationalism for their own purposes, perhaps best exemplified by Prussia.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

maggie habermans dad lol

https://twitter.com/ClydeHaberman/status/970400663564939264

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

remember the dnc which was like straight up reaganite flag waving patriotism through and through. or how the only thiings the dems seem to care about is russian subversion, and maintaining the Dignity of the Office. lol at the idea that american liberals arent dumb nationalists in their own way

remember the counter-chant memo lol

"No more war!" -> "USA!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The fun part is that there's no one they can possibly impress with their me-too wannabe warmongering

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

a certain Monsieur Dreyfus might disagree with you there

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/05/opinion/mom-gun-safety-intruder.html

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

You can forgive conservatives if we don’t believe that giving federal law enforcement officials more authority is the solution to shootings they bear some responsibility for.

That’s, in part, why many gun owners insist the answer isn’t a ban, but rather evaluating who can obtain these weapons. President Trump is now reportedly considering the idea of gun restraining orders, which have the ability to quickly take firearms away from those considered dangerous, like the shooter in Parkland.

so she thinks that law enforcement shouldn't have the power to take away people's guns.

also, she thinks the answer to gun violence is giving law enforcement the ability to take away guns

:thunk:

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Main Paineframe posted:

so she thinks that law enforcement shouldn't have the power to take away people's guns.

also, she thinks the answer to gun violence is giving law enforcement the ability to take away guns

The cossacks are bad, the Czar is good.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

she's pretty clearly arguing for not taking the guns away from everyone but instead taking them away from only bad people

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

isn’t she the writer who said we should befriend nazis?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I don't know, I've lost track of all the people trying to normalize Nazis.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

that’s every New York Times writer

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

No.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

the new pro-gun solutions to mass shootings are apparently all using your grotesque datamined panopticon to determine the exact inflection point where someone goes from Good Gun Person to Bad Gun Person and executing them the instant before this happens

better to have minority report run by fascists and morons than give up my murder toys

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

this is incredibly nonspecific

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

this is incredibly nonspecific

she's the writer who said in a Jewish newspaper that Jews should befriend neo-Nazis

https://forward.com/opinion/380510/we-need-to-start-befriending-neo-nazis/

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

she's the writer who said in a Jewish newspaper that Jews should befriend neo-Nazis

lol what

did she not get the memo from central likud that youre not supposed to say that out loud

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
These aren't your grandfather's Nazis.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

Shear Modulus posted:

lol what

did she not get the memo from central likud that youre not supposed to say that out loud

i don't think they care that much any more

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

ah yeah that’s the stuff

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

results from kevin dumb’s poll

https://twitter.com/kdrum/status/970632337158541313

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
if the idea is to represent the 'bernie left' then robert reich makes sense, as he 1) endorsed bernie sanders and 2) works within and in response to the framework of US electoral politics

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Definitely agree about the French Empire embodying the ideal of "liberal nationalism", for better and worse, but the ideology had its origins in (opposition to) the Ancien Régime. That's the period which I'm talking about, which set the stage for liberal nationalists to set up the liberal empires you were talking about. Or fail, where reactionary forces managed to tame the power of nationalism for their own purposes, perhaps best exemplified by Prussia.

Well America is the world's only superpower right now, and we're as liberal as an empire's ever been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I want the failing new york times to hire Matt Bruenig just to see all the twitter dipshits’ heads pop