Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

They're these guys right

lol who the gently caress thought palom and porom were fat, old hairless dwarves

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing I will give Lost Odyssey - it had what I believe to be the most amazingly, ridiculously over-the-top final boss theme I’ve ever heard. I mean, c’mon, listen to this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vbsI9xFuo8

Nobuo Uematsu has only gotten more wild with age, these are the end boss tracks from The Last Story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiG4ovX_p10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npDZRmOXAw4

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Mar 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Chaeden posted:

Episode Ignis is probably the best DLC for both story and the weapon you get for completing it. Prompto is the next best and then finally Gladio which isn't a terrible dlc but is definitely the worst of the batch and one of its unlockables is hidden behind doing a second run of it while trying to get a certain amount of points based on your combos and time.....really not worth it, and its weapon unlock is probably the worst of the three? I'd need to compare the Prompto gun to it but yeah. I can say I found it worthwhile to get the season pass......though with the royal edition coming out in 2 days I'm finding it significantly less worthwhile now.

You get a dece and badass looking katana for beating it. It’s way worse than endgame greatswords though and its slightly higher HP boost doesn’t matter when you can eat lasagna and get +4000 HP lol.

The score attack costume is extremely easy to get, has a chunky attack modifier, and most importantly of all, is just a shirtless gladio outfit.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I wish people would be less racist about New Yorkers. If I can't go on a racist tirade about the Cultural Revolution, despite being part Chinese myself, nobody should be able to give us Yanks flak about New York City.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing I will give Lost Odyssey - it had what I believe to be the most amazingly, ridiculously over-the-top final boss theme I’ve ever heard. I mean, c’mon, listen to this poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vbsI9xFuo8

Man, Uematsu really loving loves him some Deep Purple.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mega64 posted:

wait is that also Ian Whatshisname (fake-edit: Gillan, googled it) doing vocals there?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
not unless ian gillan can rap in japanese

Mega64 posted:

on one of the live black mages recordings, one of the MC segments where they introduce the members has uematsu playing the ubiquitous bars from from smoke on the water

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 5, 2018

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Gologle posted:

I wish people would be less racist about New Yorkers. If I can't go on a racist tirade about the Cultural Revolution, despite being part Chinese myself, nobody should be able to give us Yanks flak about New York City.

*smoker's laugh* ayyy "only in new yahk" amirite?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=regR8rWVuIA

fuckin' bogimoray

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty_BsBHFDrE

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

The White Dragon posted:

not unless ian gillan can rap in japanese

on one of the live black mages recordings, one of the MC segments where they introduce the members has uematsu playing the ubiquitous bars from from smoke on the water

one the first black mages' album maybe i'm a lion--a song title already likely referencing the deep purple song, maybe i'm a leo--has a part that goes into the solo of highway star, a completely different deep purple song

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Uematsu loves classic rock.
His inspiration for One Winged Angel was old Yes. Dancing Mad is clearly inspired from ELP's Tarkus. The Shinra melody is from a Led Zeppelin song. The Kuja battle is very close to Wayward Son by Kansas. There's more, but those are the ones i rememberd now.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Bring Uematsu back :colbert:

And make him do a soundtrack alongside Yoko.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Bring back Mitsuda

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Bring back Sakimoto

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Shimomura is still v. good.

Edit: so is Soken.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Mar 5, 2018

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
FF15 royal edition straight up added more stuff in the final section of the game, including new bosses and cutscenes with underutilized characters.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tae posted:

FF15 royal edition straight up added more stuff in the final section of the game, including new bosses and cutscenes with underutilized characters.

They've been adding cutcenes here and there for a while, but this is good to hear. I should update my game and peep them while I'm on days off.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

seiferguy posted:

Shimomura is still v. good.

Edit: so is Soken.

Soken Uematsu Shimomura team up for a new collab game ala CT.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Trying to play lightning returns for the 4th time.

Ive never made it past the second day so come hell or cheating Im doing that this time.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Barudak posted:

Trying to play lightning returns for the 4th time.

Ive never made it past the second day so come hell or cheating Im doing that this time.

Don't worry about the time limit. Even if somehow you do run out, it unlocks new game plus and you can then rush through the main quests in an hour or two.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I want to go drinking with Soken and get Square Enix blacklisted from even more bars

Barudak
May 7, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Don't worry about the time limit. Even if somehow you do run out, it unlocks new game plus and you can then rush through the main quests in an hour or two.

Yeah Im not going through the opening a fifth time. Were just following a game guide this time. I think the reason I never make it past day 2 is because they force you to burn off most of day one.

For reference; Majora’s Mask is my least favorite Zelda. Id rather replay wand of gamelon.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Tae posted:

Can you give more details in spoiler bars if needed? That's piqued my interest.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pichupal posted:

I want an XV mod that lets you set Gentiana's photobombing chance to 100%

This, but she makes funny faces and mocking gestures.

ROFL Octopus posted:

You get a dece and badass looking katana for beating it. It’s way worse than endgame greatswords though and its slightly higher HP boost doesn’t matter when you can eat lasagna and get +4000 HP lol.

Shame on you if you don't immediately switch to Cup Noodles for your boy Gladio asap. :colbert:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Barudak posted:

Yeah Im not going through the opening a fifth time. Were just following a game guide this time. I think the reason I never make it past day 2 is because they force you to burn off most of day one.

For reference; Majora’s Mask is my least favorite Zelda. Id rather replay wand of gamelon.

Ng+ skips the opening too iirc

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Is it worth watching Kingsglaive before starting XV? I've alternately been told that it explains tons of things the game doesn't bother with, and that it spoils story you'd normally get in-game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Watch it first, it's literally like a 2 hour intro sequence to FF XV.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's worth watching IMHO. At the very least watch the first couple minutes on YT, since it explains some of the more neglected plot points. I'd say the while thing is worth watching since it gives King Regis some much needed character, and the last thirty or so minutes are pretty crazy.

Definitely watch the anime, Brotherhood. It's short, cute, and fleshes out the bros.

Sakurazuka posted:

Watch it first, it's literally like a 2 hour intro sequence to FF XV.

Also this. Then watch Brotherhood.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Hmmkay, thanks!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I will say you do not need to do those things. Various cutscenes in xv are literally just scenes from Kingsglaive because they reused the footage

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No, you should watch it, because Royal Edition adds more stuff related to it that will make more sense if you've actually watched it.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

corn in the bible posted:

For me the wall in Lightning Returns wasn't the time limit, but rather the stat curve. Enemies either seem to be super cruise and die in five seconds, or hit for like half your health and take five minutes to kill. I tried going to all the other areas to see if things were any different there, but the difficulty was all about the same. Plus the desert really sucked to navigate, lots of places to slide down and then you have to walk around invisible one-way walls to get back up.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is getting excessively granular, but does either XV or Brotherhood ever establish what the two sides went to war over? It always bugs me when a story just starts with "Angry superpowers hate each other, go".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yes

Noctis's kingdom has an important crystal, the Empire wants the crystal

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That's honestly a pretty decent reason.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lucis wasn't really a superpower, was it? Niflheim is dominant with Lucis the last holdout, except for that pesky magic forcefield that let Lucis hold out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It was a superpower but by the start of Kingsglaive it's just a city with a big magic shield over it. That was the main source of the conflict between the people living instead and those left to fend for themselves.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

I recently beat XV (right before the Royal Pack hit :negative: ) and there's still a bunch of stuff I'm unclear on, like if Eos is literally just two continents and an archipelago or if the Hexatheon appeared alongside the Meteor and brought the Crystal with them? Honestly the Cosmogony of Eos feels like it should've been fleshed out way more considering its importance to the story. Solheim is barely touched upon and despite being killed, Shiva is still kicking around as Gentiana. Does that mean Ifrit is also not perma-dead?

All in all, I think XV was okay and I liked the characters more than I thought I would. I'll happily buy a DLC based around Ardyn "Wearing the entire thrift shop on his person" Izunia because he's entertaining as hell.

Sakurazuka posted:

It was a superpower but by the start of Kingsglaive it's just a city with a big magic shield over it. That was the main source of the conflict between the people living instead and those left to fend for themselves.

I watched Kingsglaive in preparations for playing XV and it's weird to me that the only character whose KG model was the same as their in-game model was Ardyn. Iedolas and Ravus looked way different in Kingsglaive and while I think I'm probably in the minority for this, i think I liked how Luna looked in Kingsglaive more than her in-game model. Also while it's an important part of the movie, XV never even mentions Galahd or shows where the hell it even is which is a bummer.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

They are going to release an Ardyn dlc yes

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004
I saw in the XV demo there was a hard mode. Does anyone know what hard mode entails? It seems interesting, also I'm noob on this game should I play the base game before the DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Nutmeg posted:

I saw in the XV demo there was a hard mode. Does anyone know what hard mode entails? It seems interesting, also I'm noob on this game should I play the base game before the DLC?

DLC are unintegrated short side stories, most of which assume you beat the game so play the base game first.

Hard mode is a waste of time unless your fetish is things taking longer for no appreciable reason.