Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Contabo do 10 cores + 1.2tb ssd + 50gb ram + unmetered gigabit for ~$34/mo

(I can vouch for everything apart from the bandwidth - my servers with them are on 100mbit so I don't know how well their gigabit performs in reality)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Rufus Ping posted:

Contabo do 10 cores + 1.2tb ssd + 50gb ram + unmetered gigabit for ~$34/mo

(I can vouch for everything apart from the bandwidth - my servers with them are on 100mbit so I don't know how well their gigabit performs in reality)

This is a great deal but I'm looking for something in the US, preferably west coast.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

Perhaps VPSDime's premium (KVM) line, though I can't vouch for it personally

OVH are supposed to be opening a west coast dc at some point too, which should be in the right price bracket

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
how much do you think the offering you're looking for should cost?

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

ElCondemn posted:

This is a great deal but I'm looking for something in the US, preferably west coast.

Any specific state or city / maximum explicit budget and use case?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

FamDav posted:

how much do you think the offering you're looking for should cost?

Not sure, but the VPSes linked in the OP seem to range around 40-80/mo for what I'm asking for. Digital Ocean and AWS seem to be 100+ (AWS being over 200 for a t2.xlarge)

Biowarfare posted:

Any specific state or city / maximum explicit budget and use case?

Preferably in Seattle, but anywhere in the west coast is fine. I can order from any of the hosts in the OP but I'm wondering what's a good deal right now in the industry, I don't keep up with it like I used to but also I'd like to support an actual Goon, not some corp that doesn't give a poo poo about me or what I'm doing.

Basically we're just running a minecraft server and a few other services (websites, etc.) We have a VPS right now that has the requirements we're looking for but is definitely underperforming.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
apnscp: cPanel evolved

quote:

but is definitely underperforming

VPS is next-gen shared hosting. When you chase bottom dollar expect client density to ratchet up to compensate server amortization. Going to another inexpensive provider will result in the same outcome inevitably. The only valuable metric you have is steal %, (iostat/top) which tells you what percentage of time a request wasn't immediately furnished by the hypervisor, but it's meaningless unless you have a comparable machine with a comparable workload to compare.

You can oversubscribe on storage (LVM thin provisioning), memory (ksm/memory compaction), network connectivity (VFIO), and CPUs (vCPU is a meaningless metric). If you really want something that works and whose hardware you purchase you have to your full disposal, get a bare metal server. I'd argue a 2xSAS RAID-backed (1 GB preferred) solution would benefit you more than a sloppy seconds, high mileage nearline 1x SSD in reliability.

As to finding one under $100, that's another mission. Maybe kimsufi/soyoustart, but bear in mind if it's a hardware failure you're deprioritized to VPS customers.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
For minecraft I'd either ssd it or just run the whole piece of poo poo in ram and dump ramdisk to disk periodically.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ElCondemn posted:

Preferably in Seattle, but anywhere in the west coast is fine. I can order from any of the hosts in the OP but I'm wondering what's a good deal right now in the industry, I don't keep up with it like I used to but also I'd like to support an actual Goon, not some corp that doesn't give a poo poo about me or what I'm doing.

Basically we're just running a minecraft server and a few other services (websites, etc.) We have a VPS right now that has the requirements we're looking for but is definitely underperforming.
I'm looking for similar near Texas.

I've pondered on-and-off transitioning off of my hosting and I think I've gotten fed up with it. The application installer ate me and my wife's web sites; we have backups, but restoring is going to be a fuss. Well, they also reneged on supporting an addon domain, so we can't point two different domains to it. So I'm looking for what would easiest handle a really low-traffic web site that I can set up to backup and update fairly easily. I really should keep my Linux skills up-to-date, and I'm thinking a cloud node with my own poo poo on it will take care of that. I just don't want to have to micromanage it at the risk of it getting taken over by Russo-Nigerian hackers.

What would matter more would be on-and-off Minecrafting.

Also, I need to point three domains at different places on it. I'd be paying $180/year to do this with my shared hosting right now with cpanel. I don't have a problem paying, say, $35 a month for having more control and firepower for this other stuff.

Edit: Ehh I don't mean literally a cloud node here. VPS is more likely fine enough.

Edit Edit: And a god drat private git server hell yes.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

You can easily find a free DigitalOcean credit for hosting for a month. Gitlab will give you free private repos.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

jaegerx posted:

You can easily find a free DigitalOcean credit for hosting for a month. Gitlab will give you free private repos.
I'm not really planning to do any scaling stuff in the cloud, but I'll grant they do have a good reputation. Maybe I should just use Gitlab regardless; I didn't really realize I could just put my personal crap on there on a personal account. I mostly want to push to a repository that is not in my house.

The bigger issue for me is having to manually assume control of my web server and all that jazz. I haven't really looked into all this and I hope that open-source management tools for that has improved over the past, like, 15 years. I have no idea. I had some stuff in drupal and wordpress, but I imagine I could scribble some code to do data migration if I really wanted to keep it.

What I was looking at was a $30/mo plan for iozoom for 8GB of RAM and 80GB SSD. This is mostly to run modded Minecraft in the background. They can also set me up with a VPS in Dallas, which is close enough. Is iozoom poo and butts?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Digitalocean is awesome even if you don't do any scaling stuff. And honestly not that hard to protect against Hackerman for small websites. Use SSH key logins (disable password authentication), install Fail2ban and don't expose any unnecessary ports to the scary internets. They have guides for all that. All you really need open is 23 (SSH), 80, and 443 (if using HTTPS, which you should because it is free with Let's Encrypt). If you want better security than that, use containers/service accounts.

Also I've been playing around with Digital ocean Spaces (their clone of Amazon S3) and combined with goofys (which lets you mount it) and it's very good. My only complaint with DO is that their storage is expensive since it is all SSD, but Spaces+Goofys solves that problem. Hopefully they have bigger plans than the $5/250GB in the future though.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The application installer ate me and my wife's web sites

Softaculous or Installatron?

If you need a panel for your VPS, which on complicated setups can be nice to facilitate account management/app updates, your options are

• cPanel
  • Plesk
  • ServerPilot
  • RunCloud
  • Moss

The last 3 are agent-based SaaS and require you to allow root access from their control server to roll out configuration changes. I'm much more weary of RC/Moss than SP when it comes to how securely kept those keys are. I'm ~2-3 months out from a limited alpha of my platform/panel as a separate standalone service for VPS customers. It tackles essential optimization, brute-force, malware scrubbing, privilege separation, resource limitations (cgroups), automated updates for Wordpress, Drupal, Ghost, Laravel, and a pretty flexible framework to extend it further for example if you wanted to run a periodic job built off Laravel Horizon or anything; it's designed to be flexible. It's also 100% self-hosted, so you don't have to deal with giving some random IP address root.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
nem, do tell if you have any open slots for testing

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Sent you a PM for contact information. I'd like to keep the alpha down to 20 participants. In exchange for participation it'll be a lifetime license. The only requirements are CentOS/RHEL 7 and more than 2 GB memory; more is always better since you can leverage it for caching. Alpha will support 2 VPS providers, TBA based upon candidate feedback. If anyone else is interested in participating send me a PM or an email to matt@apisnetworks.com with your email and VPS provider.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
PM sent.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Having set up Apache on a VPS over the weekend, I assume then that we're probably not going to see a really solid free, open-source cpanel alternative due to all the secret sauce that has to be constantly updated behind the scenes for all the tools it supports.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Can I still participate if I am hosting my own VMs (can meet every other requirement, pretty much - OS and spec-wise).

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Having set up Apache on a VPS over the weekend, I assume then that we're probably not going to see a really solid free, open-source cpanel alternative due to all the secret sauce that has to be constantly updated behind the scenes for all the tools it supports.
It'll be $10/mo, which shouldn't break the bank and puts a roof over my head.

Biowarfare posted:

Can I still participate if I am hosting my own VMs (can meet every other requirement, pretty much - OS and spec-wise).
Answered over PM, but for the sake of anyone else interested, yes and you'll be responsible for connecting DNS to the API. You could in theory without implementing a surrogate DNS module, but it's simple with a little PHP: implement add_record(), modify_record(), remove_record(), add_zone(), remove_zone() in the dns module. Create a surrogate module that extends Dns_Module and implement those methods while keeping the dns provider configured as "builtin" for the account.

It still needs another rewrite to cleanup the code + add support for different DNS providers, but that's the gist of what one would need to do. If you run PowerDNS, then fire up a PDO connection and send the respective queries once parameters are parsed.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

nem posted:

It'll be $10/mo, which shouldn't break the bank and puts a roof over my head.
Yeah okay, but for the record, I wasn't crapping on you or anything. I was coming to terms with how mercurial these software suites can be, so any solution trying to be a one-stop integration shop for them will require constant maintenance. Hence I can't really imagine there being some throw-off open-source project really ever tackling it.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Yeah okay, but for the record, I wasn't crapping on you or anything. I was coming to terms with how mercurial these software suites can be, so any solution trying to be a one-stop integration shop for them will require constant maintenance. Hence I can't really imagine there being some throw-off open-source project really ever tackling it.

I can't see there being one either. From what I've seen, the free, open-source ones are garbage or very barebones. Open-source works when you need to establish traction and need collaboration to achieve it. Something truly collaborative makes opinionated design difficult. In the realm of server security, you need scope on how things must and must not be. You must adhere to the policy of least privilege. Code must be designed by contract. Side-effects minimized, etc.

After a certain inflection, it makes sense to license the project to keep incentivization structured on product quality rather than freemium addons (ServerPilot licenses its firewall/brute-force deterrent separately, for example) or impairing quality instead focusing on support-generated revenue. Pricing it at $10/mo with community-driven support, open-source code, and no restrictions on functionality should be enough incentive for folks to have some degree of protection/automation over their server configuration, provide an open ecosystem for contribution, and, fingers crossed, make compromised VPSes way less common.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I am extremely retarded, so please take pity on me.

I bought a domain name from 1and1 and then I bought hosting under that domain name from a different site. That host allowed me to automatically install Wordpress, and I did that.

When I went to access the website via the domain, it just led to a placeholder for 1and1 "this domain has just been registered". At this point I realise something is afoot and I interpret that the domain name needs to be transferred to the hosting site in an official capacity? Maybe? It's a .co.uk address, so I had to change its "IPS Tag" to the new host's ID, which I did, and whois now confirms that has been done. I did that on the 1and1 control panel and it said, OK, job done, bye now

It also said it will take up to five days to go through, and it's been only a few hours, but I'm looking on my host's site, and its own "Transfer" option costs money and has all sorts of prerequisites, which I now clear all of, except the one where the domain must have been registered for 60 days. Do I have to go through the transfer process on both ends and pay the host to do this? And now do I have to wait two months to get started on this? Am I being punished by God for my idiocy?

I can't even access the Wordpress admin panel to start doing stuff on this site through its IP address that's listed on the control panel on the hosting site.

how is webby formed? how site get pragnent (with pertinent content)?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Jeza posted:

I am extremely retarded, so please take pity on me.

I bought a domain name from 1and1 and then I bought hosting under that domain name from a different site. That host allowed me to automatically install Wordpress, and I did that.

When I went to access the website via the domain, it just led to a placeholder for 1and1 "this domain has just been registered". At this point I realise something is afoot and I interpret that the domain name needs to be transferred to the hosting site in an official capacity? Maybe? It's a .co.uk address, so I had to change its "IPS Tag" to the new host's ID, which I did, and whois now confirms that has been done. I did that on the 1and1 control panel and it said, OK, job done, bye now

It also said it will take up to five days to go through, and it's been only a few hours, but I'm looking on my host's site, and its own "Transfer" option costs money and has all sorts of prerequisites, which I now clear all of, except the one where the domain must have been registered for 60 days. Do I have to go through the transfer process on both ends and pay the host to do this? And now do I have to wait two months to get started on this? Am I being punished by God for my idiocy?

I can't even access the Wordpress admin panel to start doing stuff on this site through its IP address that's listed on the control panel on the hosting site.

how is webby formed? how site get pragnent (with pertinent content)?

It sounds like all you needed to do was update your nameservers. You should contact the new company regarding the transfer. I am pretty sure .co.uk domains don't have that same waiting period as .com and other domains. Changing the IPS Tag and telling the new company to expect the transfer is pretty much all that is required to move a .co.uk domain.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Can anyone recommend a registrar that will handle .ae domains? Namcheap and gandi don't do it.

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

fuf posted:

Can anyone recommend a registrar that will handle .ae domains? Namcheap and gandi don't do it.

here are your options https://www.tra.gov.ae/aeda/en/accredited-registrars.aspx

so your best bet is probably instra or markmonitor

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
Regarding Wordpress site hosting-

I put a client up on AWS for their Wodpress site. She runs a small practice so there's only a total of 9 pages on a simple layout, but even still the t2.micro I put her on isn't able to serve the site to a single user without it taking around 10 seconds to load. I've optimized all the images already and there are no plugins running on Wordpress. Underlying OS is Amazon's own Linux distro (not version 2) so there's not much improvement to be gained by switching to a different OS.

Very simply, I'm just wondering if AWS was the right choice. I put her on AWS because they offer SSl certificates for free (if you utilize Cloudwatch and/or ELB). Essentially I want to know whether or not it would be worth it to upgrade her to a t2.small or take her off AWS and find a new host.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
What's the load average on there? What's the steal % on the server? (top/iostat will tell you this) Running any plugins? How's WP served? Custom theme or default? ISAPI embedded into Apache or php-fpm with nginx/Apache in front? 10 seconds is bad, even by HostGator shared hosting standards.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

LiterallyAnything posted:

I put a client up on AWS for their Wodpress site. She runs a small practice so there's only a total of 9 pages on a simple layout, but even still the t2.micro I put her on isn't able to serve the site to a single user without it taking around 10 seconds to load. I've optimized all the images already and there are no plugins running on Wordpress. Underlying OS is Amazon's own Linux distro (not version 2) so there's not much improvement to be gained by switching to a different OS.

Very simply, I'm just wondering if AWS was the right choice. I put her on AWS because they offer SSl certificates for free (if you utilize Cloudwatch and/or ELB). Essentially I want to know whether or not it would be worth it to upgrade her to a t2.small or take her off AWS and find a new host.

You pretty much need a gb of ram to run Wordpress now. Let’sencrypt is free ssl.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

AWS is almost certainly the wrong choice, unless you are willing to invest the time managing the security updates for the instance and dealing with migration if you are unlucky enough to have an instance be on physical hardware that needs replaced. AWS sucks if you try to run a single instance, the entire design philosophy is very anti "pets", and you get the best experience running multiple instances in a ASG behind an ELB.

It's not a good fit for low volume php / mysql sites. Any reason you are not just using wordpress.com ?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Rufus Ping posted:

here are your options https://www.tra.gov.ae/aeda/en/accredited-registrars.aspx

so your best bet is probably instra or markmonitor

Thanks. I ended up using nic.ae. The site is a little rough but it works fine and the prices are way lower than anywhere else.

IRSmurf
Mar 27, 2010

Regarding raw transfer rate, I put together a simple wordpress blog for bandwidth comparison between hosts. This one is on Amazon Lightsail (on EC2, 512 MB RAM, 1 vCPU, 20 GB SSD, $5/mo): http://brianjam.es/

I upload files individually at 30-60mbps. Each page load transfers between 25MB and 125MB. Pages load around 300mbps. They load quickly, prior to downloading media.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

IRSmurf posted:

Regarding raw transfer rate, I put together a simple wordpress blog for bandwidth comparison between hosts. This one is on Amazon Lightsail (on EC2, 512 MB RAM, 1 vCPU, 20 GB SSD, $5/mo): http://brianjam.es/

I upload files individually at 30-60mbps. Each page load transfers between 25MB and 125MB. Pages load around 300mbps. They load quickly, prior to downloading media.

What’s the point? Aws has a cdn you can use so everything is kinda local. I don’t get transfer rate metrics.

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev

jaegerx posted:

What’s the point? Aws has a cdn you can use so everything is kinda local. I don’t get transfer rate metrics.

His contention was whether a gig is necessary, to which I'd agree your 1 GB/Wordpress suggestion is horribly misadviced. A micro instance affords 1 GB RAM and from local testing I can serve a single WP instance, as reported by memory_get_peak_usage within 8 MB, specifically 5.04 MB beyond initial VM scaffolding from kb.hostineer.com.

Much about how Wordpress/PHP sucks is rooted in lore. Times change, Yes, garbage collection and reference counting in 5 sucked. Additionally, there are lovely plugins just as there are lovely how-tos that were incentivized to be written by DO to bolster SEO and in general, it's dated rubbish. Technology changes. PHP as of 7 is anything but a slouch. You can do well with with Wordpress on PHP 7 as an ISAPI under half a gig, but with memory speed and oversubscription, how is this a thing?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Plesk just doubled their prices starting in April :(

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IRSmurf posted:

jaegerx posted:

yea just a heads up smurf, bandwidth is very very unlikely to be the constraint you need to test for in scaling or capacity planning a webapp.

the most naive-yet-valuable metric to start with would be the average response time. 50ms is good, 500ms is bad.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin

jre posted:

It's not a good fit for low volume php / mysql sites. Any reason you are not just using wordpress.com ?

Seemed cheaper if I had two clients on an AWS instance as opposed to paying for the premium WP service which allows you to use your own domain name.

Thanks for the information regarding transfer rates guys.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Seemed cheaper if I had two clients on an AWS instance as opposed to paying for the premium WP service which allows you to use your own domain name.

Thanks for the information regarding transfer rates guys.

Have you factored in the cost of managing that server ? Because with the wordpress hosting someone else deals with patching and monitoring for you.
Not sure I believe you're spending less than £6 a month of your time maintaining your own instance.

LiterallyAnything
Jul 11, 2008

by vyelkin
You're absolutely correct. I've already put in a good deal of effort and time which I didn't and will not be paid for. I'm justifying it to myself because we want to start offering custom WP designs/templates and eventually SEO as well aside from just managed, reseller, hosting.

I'm not currently charging my two "test" clients, who are personal acquaintances with businesses that are wanting to branch out. I've already built AWS scripting to (mostly) automate the set ups, with only the essential info needing to be input manually, but I still have a lot of work to do in terms of what and how I plan on charging clients for if I'm using AWS. I decided to start this on AWS because of the vast amount of services they provide. As one man with a 2-man design team I need to be as efficient as possible, and so far, because my intent is to eventually attract clientele willing to spend money on quality custom design work, AWS seems very reasonable in price.

Of course this all depends on my ability to lock in contracts worth at least 10k y/y. I'm willing to, and currently am, work(ing) towards that.

LiterallyAnything fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 28, 2018

nem
Jan 4, 2003

panel.dev
Heads up folks, severe 1-click takeovers of Drupal 6/7/8.x sites. Upgrade today to not join the Syrian Liberation Army!

drush does not cover 6.x sites from my survey. A recent drush is necessary to upgrade from 7.57 to 7.58 as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Alright, so this company just finished creating our AWESOME NEW CORPORATE WEB SITE, using WordPress, and they plan on going live with it in a month or so.

Where should we host it?

Is it worth doing Wordpress.com?

Do they handle all the updates, etc?

Should I just throw it on a Linode?

Would it be completely stupid to use something like Hostgator? We don't get much traffic and our e-commerce is all B2B and on another site.