Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I remember Cubix being on WB next to Yu-Gi-Oh and Ultimate Muscle and that show about luchadores

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Henchman of Santa posted:

I remember Cubix being on WB next to Yu-Gi-Oh and Ultimate Muscle and that show about luchadores

Mucha Lucha

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Also the worst CG show ever has to be Butt Ugly Martians.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Hattie Masters posted:

Man that is a show I have not thought about in about 3 months. And a few years before that. Watching that on CBBC was great, although I never got to see the ending.

I have no idea how it aged but you might remember this Bio, a show that seemed distinctly amazing when I was a kid: Flint the Time Detective.

although it did have an episode about colombus which was distinctly favourable, which as far as I can tell is becoming increasingly uncommon.

Aw man, I loved Flint the Time Detective! Was able to track down the subtitled episodes in Japanese a couple of years ago. It's such a ridiculous, dumb show but I love it. Probably helped that I was super in to Pokemon and Digimon at the time so it was pretty much right up my ally. I would still be interested in reading a translation of the manga but have never been able to find anywhere that has it uploaded.

Won't lie, still have a huge soft spot in my heart for Merlock, who was my first anime crush :downs: :cripes:
12-year-old Me was super lonely. 28 year-old Me is still super lonely

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Ultimate Muscle was pretty great. That cartoon was loving insane and you could tell the translator's basically got free reign to do whatever they thought was funny.

Plus one enemy was a butt.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I blame that loving Monkey's Paw. All I wished for was to only see good media. The fucker just made me like everything regardless of quality.

Do me a solid and google for "Fighting Foodons." The show started stale and aged like milk.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Post poste posted:

Do me a solid and google for "Fighting Foodons." The show started stale and aged like milk.

Bitch, don’t be talking poo poo ‘bout my nigga Fried Ricer. Or his friend, Shrimp Fried Ricer.

There were some other characters probably.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
I somehow liked Megababies for one full minute when I was a kid. :stonk:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I liked with the Ultimate Muscle dub was that they deconstructed the whole Shonen "Win through dumb luck and gumption" idea - Kid spends the entire first series getting lucky and fighting like an idiot, but then the auditors/elders point out that he has been sustaining countless microinjuries that have totally failed to heal under the major ones that he got over, and if he keeps winning relying on luck he will die. The next arc is "Learn to loving fight properly, because we'll be putting you up against some nasty boys!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They even made a new arc specifically for the dub.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

Wheat Loaf posted:

When I was little, I had this idea that Sailor Moon was some kind of weird Sabrina the Teenage Witch cartoon (there was an actual Sabrina cartoon by Disney, which was nominally connected to the live-action show) from Japan, because the main character was a blonde girl with magic powers called Serena (which I always misheard as "Sabrina") and her sidekick was a talking black cat.

In the later 90 or early 00s when the anime boom was really starting in the US I believe Archie Comics actually tried doing Sabrina as a manga-styled comic for a while, and it MIGHT have actually had Sabrina doing a bit of a magical schoolgirl-warrior maiden thing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sabrina was huge for a while. They even renamed a Pokémon character after her.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Man, speaking of early '00s TV, one storyline that aged badly because it was hosed up to begin with was the whole fifteen-year-old dates his teacher thing from Dawson's Creek. The older woman is predatory as hell and shames him for "acting like a kid" after they break up; like, yeah, no poo poo lady, he can't even drive yet. Plus, if memory serves, I don't think anything even came of it. She transfers schools but otherwise gets off scot-free, unlike in Riverdale, where the pedo teacher gets straight-up murdered in season two.

Also, along that vein, holy poo poo did the show Pretty Little Liars have a problem with adult dudes hitting on teenagers; it was like every other episode that some 28-year-old was trying to hook up with one of the extremely underage protagonists.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I recall Daria had a few cases of adults hitting on teenagers and it was generally always portrayed as super skeezy.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Also the worst CG show ever has to be Butt Ugly Martians.

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

I feel like the 90s are cheating.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFDRXD7QiqQ

This ran for 5 seasons :psyduck:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

big cummers ONLY posted:

UK Kitchen Nightmares owned and made the US version unwatchable for us.

"The Office" chat: watched "A Benihana Christmas" last night. Michael and Andy go to Benihanas to help Michael get over a breakup. They successfully hit on a waitress and convince her to bring a friend to their office party. But when they show up, it's just two completely different Asian women. They are ostensibly the same character but played by different actors. I want to make the argument that they are playing on how horribly racist Michael is (he marks one of them on the arm because he can't remember who "his" Asian waitress is) but the episode spends zero time examining race or saying anything of substance about the switch. Just a weird thing that should have been weird when it aired ten years ago and is definitely weird today.

The marking is pretty bad but I assumed the two different waitresses showing up was that the waitress he actually asked out had rejected him.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

Also, along that vein, holy poo poo did the show Pretty Little Liars have a problem with adult dudes hitting on teenagers; it was like every other episode that some 28-year-old was trying to hook up with one of the extremely underage protagonists.

My other half watched that show and it was weird how the characters were supposed to be high schoolers yet acted like college freshman for the most part.

Plus the one did date her teacher

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Office joke was 100% about Michael’s casual (drunken) racism. It’s why at the end he talks to jim about it and can’t help but laugh at the absurdity of it all. Jim laughs but is clearly shocked.

Michael’s character is great because he’s always on the line of being a total piece of poo poo, but is too stupid to really understand what he’s doing. He’s like most people, and can really bring to light horrible things people end up doing day to day.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

edit: /\/\ Yeah, you said it much better than me /\/\

EmmyOk posted:

The marking is pretty bad but I assumed the two different waitresses showing up was that the waitress he actually asked out had rejected him.

The marking was loving hilarious. That was still back when you weren't supposed to feel good about Michael Scott.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It did a really bad job of trying to make you sympathise with Michael and that happened a bunch of times before that scene

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I'm saying that you're not supposed to sympathize with him. You're supposed to think he's a loving idiot. Early Office pretty much painted him in an unsympathetic light. His own bigotry and selfishness bite him in the rear end all the time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought it was a hilarious scene, and yes you're not supposed to think Michael is some great guy. It's just so absurd but at least he's open to talking about it.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

big cummers ONLY posted:

Pretty impressive that Gordon still loved it. Just imagine how good that poo poo was fresh :o

The barbecue restaurant one was a great one for this, where it turned out they had two top of the range, awesome smokers, were taking the time to long smoke all the meat...then putting it in the fridge for days and and microwaving it.

It also had the line YOU loving DONUT OF COURSE YOU DON'T MICROWAVE A SALAD which is probably my favourite line in the entire show

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Plus the running theme of that Office episode is that he's getting over a breakup and WAY too eager to declare that the first woman who shows him any sort of kindness is "the one". Which builds up to the absurdity of him saying "that waitress was the one" even though he only knew her for a few hours and conflated her with various other waitresses he flirted with on the same day.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

CPColin posted:

They say on the commentary somewhere that the joke was supposed to be that they couldn't convince the cute waitresses to come back and had to settle for two uggos, but casting didn't get the message and didn't cast ugly actresses. I'm not sure the joke would've landed anyway, without a line like, "Our waitresses said they were busy, but these two were eager to come with us!"

Feel like a couple people might have missed this

The joke was not originally going to be tied into Michael's racism and that's why the connection to the other racist elements (marking Kulap) feels tenuous. Like someone else said, writing failed to cover for casting's gently caress up.

I think I'm ok with how it turned out because "lol ugly people are so desperate they'll leave work for an office party with Michael" is bad too imo

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

big cummers ONLY posted:

Feel like a couple people might have missed this

The joke was not originally going to be tied into Michael's racism and that's why the connection to the other racist elements (marking Kulap) feels tenuous. Like someone else said, writing failed to cover for casting's gently caress up.

I think I'm ok with how it turned out because "lol ugly people are so desperate they'll leave work for an office party with Michael" is bad too imo

Michael had a great arc but bringing back "Ping" in his last episode was too much.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

MikeCrotch posted:

The barbecue restaurant one was a great one for this, where it turned out they had two top of the range, awesome smokers, were taking the time to long smoke all the meat...then putting it in the fridge for days and and microwaving it.

It also had the line YOU loving DONUT OF COURSE YOU DON'T MICROWAVE A SALAD which is probably my favourite line in the entire show

The best part about this line is that it makes the whole staff of the restaurant laugh, and it breaks some of the tension in the room. It also made them realize that a salad being the only thing in the place not microwaved was completely ridiculous. People being [i[shocked[/i] that people don't like their microwaved food and that Gordon in particular hates it always makes me laugh, no matter how many times I see it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Koalas March posted:

Michael had a great arc but bringing back "Ping" in his last episode was too much.

Did he ever do Ping before that? I know it was implied a few times. I get what they were trying for there, but Michael's character had sort of moved past that stuff by that point so it did feel kinda stupid. Should have brought back his southern guy or something to show he couldn't say goodbye himself because it was too hard.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Did he ever do Ping before that? I know it was implied a few times. I get what they were trying for there, but Michael's character had sort of moved past that stuff by that point so it did feel kinda stupid. Should have brought back his southern guy or something to show he couldn't say goodbye himself because it was too hard.

Twice in season one. (I'm near the end of a rewatch right now, s8) I can't remember the first episode but the second is The Dundies and he has false teeth and everything iirc.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
M.U.S.C.L.E. has such a weird life in the West. When I was a kid in the mid 80s their figures were the height of quarter supermarket vending machines to the point my brother and I had a poster showing all 150+ figures, but none of the comics, cartoons, or video games came to the US. Then 20 years later, the Ultimate cartoon is a smash hit, but again, nothing else in the franchise hits the US.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Choco1980 posted:

M.U.S.C.L.E. has such a weird life in the West. When I was a kid in the mid 80s their figures were the height of quarter supermarket vending machines to the point my brother and I had a poster showing all 150+ figures, but none of the comics, cartoons, or video games came to the US. Then 20 years later, the Ultimate cartoon is a smash hit, but again, nothing else in the franchise hits the US.

I had tons of them and I used to spend hours in the back yard having them fight each other on overturned stumps or woodpiles, so I'm kinda sad they got left behind when I moved out of Kansas 5 years back.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Choco1980 posted:

I believe Ultimate Muscle wasn't actually all that popular in Japan (the anime, anyway - I know the manga's continued in one form or another to the present day) but it was so popular in America that they made an extra season, which strikes me as pretty unusual.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Unusual but not unprecedented. Big O was popular enough here that Adult Swim financed a second season. It's apparently not that popular out in Japan. Cowboy Bebop has a similar US/Japan popularity. Nothing American made being more popular in Japan springs to mind, but I know Top Cat is oddly popular in Mexico to this day. And India got a Johnny Bravo movie from the original team like a decade after it ended.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Japan has bad taste in anime.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

In ultimate muscle the main character fights a guy who can turn into a shoe. Then they reveal that a thing a shoe hates most is stepping in poo poo.

So the main character shits on the mat.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I loathed this so much and still do. But it ain't stronger than a golden banana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D14-EJHaJIg

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Volcott posted:

Japan has bad taste in anime.

Confirmed. Pacific Rim only made $14 million in Japan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I always thought the Dundee's episode was supposed to be intentionally cringey, considering the only person who seemed to enjoy it was a super drunk Pam.

The Office episode I think goes too far is the one where Michael does his best to ruin Phyllis's wedding. I think only Scott's Tots is harder to watch cringe wise.