Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

gently caress, I love this Savage/Warrior feud so much. Apparently someone else did too, I saw an old Warrior toy a bit ago and the extras are based on this entire thing. There is a lamp to drop on Warrior, there is a scepter to hit him in the head with...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DeathChicken posted:

gently caress, I love this Savage/Warrior feud so much.

You should do because it's rad as hell.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This was the start of a brief period (which felt like forever as a kid) where I was only able to get the odd show, so I basically missed the entirety of Warrior's title run after beating Hogan at Mania 6. I can't imagine how much I would have lost my poo poo to see Warrior lose to Slaughter thanks to Savage.

Those last 7 words are why I loving love pro-wrestling :allears:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Jerusalem posted:

This was the start of a brief period (which felt like forever as a kid) where I was only able to get the odd show, so I basically missed the entirety of Warrior's title run after beating Hogan at Mania 6. I can't imagine how much I would have lost my poo poo to see Warrior lose to Slaughter thanks to Savage.

I can see Lil J-Ru decked out in tassels and facepaint screaming with rage as he runs around the living room :3:

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Rarity posted:

I did a whole lot of research but I could not work out what this is referring to

Gomer was a derisive nickname for Sgt. Slaughter. As in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomer_Pyle,_U.S.M.C.

Diabolik900 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 4, 2018

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Rarity posted:

In the back Mooney is with Sgt. Slaughter who in the last couple of months has gone full Iraqi. He's got the headdress and a pipe and you can't just yet but he's even borrowed the Iron Shiek's pointy booties.

Those aren't Shiek's boots, those were a gift given to Slaughter from Saddam himself.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Sherri was always an asset, in both WWF and WCW.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Diabolik900 posted:

Gomer was a derisive nickname for Sgt. Slaughter. As in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gomer_Pyle,_U.S.M.C.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

I can practically hear this gif

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

I can see Lil J-Ru decked out in tassels and facepaint screaming with rage as he runs around the living room :3:

I thought I turned off my webcam :ohdear:

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"
I was 18 when this show came out, and even at that age I was FURIOUS at Savage. I can only imagine how mad Americans must have been.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Once him and Sherri went full-throttle on the Macho King thing, I was enthralled. That was my favourite period in Savage's entire career for sheer entertainment.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

It's too bad you won't see the span between PPVs here, since Warrior does some above and beyond batshit promos for this feud. Basically he declares that he should have had surgery to remove the bits of scepter from his head, but he told the doctors to leave it in, and because of that he can see visions of the future. Which in the long run ends up being foreshadowing of where the feud does end up months down the line (no spoilers).

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I was starting to fall out of being an avid watcher of the WWF during this time. I remember on the house show in Tampa that it was Hulk vs Sarge and Savage vs Warrior with Sherri interference. But for the life of me I do not remember much about Warrior vs Savage as an overarching feud.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Yo rarity I'm slowly going through the ppvs myself and following the thread as I go (WM4 now) so I just wanted to say this is a good thread and thanks for the effort :)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Namtab posted:

Yo rarity I'm slowly going through the ppvs myself and following the thread as I go (WM4 now) so I just wanted to say this is a good thread and thanks for the effort :)

Oh, how many weeks have you been watching WM4 for?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Namtab posted:

Thanks, I hope you keep enjoying it! :D

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Apropos of little, look what turned up on my Facebook

https://youtu.be/Zz_n3iEtEpQ

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DeathChicken posted:

Apropos of little, look what turned up on my Facebook

https://youtu.be/Zz_n3iEtEpQ

Brock would slide Hennig's junk into the turnbuckle so hard it just split his body in two :allears:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
There should have been a Bret Hart & Curt Hennig tag team called "Perfect Excellence."

Imagine the two of them just being :smugdog::respek::smuggo: as gently caress and taking turns donig evil as gently caress moves to the kneecaps and balls of their opponents.

:smugdog: *kneebar**kneebreaker**knee drop**senton on knee**headscissors into knee strike*
:hf:
:smuggo: *Dick stomp* *Headbutt to dick* *Inverted atomic drop (to dick)**ringpost figure 4, crushing dick*

:discourse:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I mean, Bret and Hennig are basically shadow-selves for each other so that makes total sense. There's an essay in there to be written somewhere.

I also really want to write one about how Elizabeth and Sherri represent the WWF's obsession with the Madonna-Whore Complex but you guys will be glad to know that lies beyond the scope of this thread.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The origin of the scepter, and a Saturday morning cartoon level gathering of villains.

https://youtu.be/ClqhQW_9Cho

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

I also really want to write one about how Elizabeth and Sherri represent the WWF's obsession with the Madonna-Whore Complex but you guys will be glad to know that lies beyond the scope of this thread.

That sounds amazing and I for one would love to read that.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Open Marriage Night posted:

The origin of the scepter, and a Saturday morning cartoon level gathering of villains.

https://youtu.be/ClqhQW_9Cho

Coronated by his brother, his old enemy Dibiase, and the guy who lost the crown to the man he beat for the crown. This is some Game of Thrones poo poo.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Oh, how many weeks have you been watching WM4 for?

One seventh

It's a dull tournament with a lot of weird finishes

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Jerusalem posted:

That sounds amazing and I for one would love to read that.

Same. I like smart discussion of this stupid thing we all watch.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Boy, it feels like we've been advertising WM7 for a year now. We're almost there now, don't worry!

Koko B. Ware vs. The Mountie w/ Jimmy Hart

This is a textbook definition of a pissbreak match. You can tell because Koko is in it. And his opponent is going to be a new guy called the Mountie because we all know how much everyone hates... the Canadian Police Force? I'm not really sure how you guys wound up with this one. So the Mountie is this jarhead looking dude in a makeshift uniform and carrying a big loving stick. I hae no idea what the stick's about. His theme is some generic orchestral piece that's not exactly great but does do a good job evoking the caribou and glaciers of his home so it works well enough I guess. I'm not holding out too much hope here.

Koko starts out quick, dodging around all of the Mountie's offence and replying with a dropkick. The Mountie whips him into the ropes and does a leapfrog but Koko just stops in his tracks and punches him in the face. Haha, I love that someone finally realised that when you get sent into the ropes you don't need to keep running. The Mountie runs through a series of holds and Piper claims that he's using secret Canadian police techniques which he shouldn't be using outside the Mounted Forces. How very dare he! Personally, I just hope he uses one that's interesting cause so far this match is dull as hell. Whoever this Mountie dude is he's a shocker of a worker. He hurls Koko to the outside and...

Wait, hang on a moment.

No...

No...

Yes!

Oh Jacques! My sweet Jacques! Look what they've done to you! How could you, Vince? We had so much fun together. All those special times. All those smiles and flips and buttslaps. Why did you do this to him?

So yes, the Mountie is none other than Jacques Rougeau. But this is far from the Jacques that we all knew and loved. He's got a gimmick change, about twenty pounds of muscle and an entire new moveset. Anyway, Evil Jacques tosses Koko to the outside and nails him with the big stick which is apparently a cattle prod. Piper decides that “this guy has an identity problem here, go see a therapist!” Yeah, no kidding. Evil Jacques traps Koko in a chicken wing which is apparently a restraining hold for Canadian criminals except we all know in Canada that they just enter the back of the van when the cops ask nicely. Kayfabe broken!

Evil Jacques slams Koko into the turnbuckle and goes for a piledriver but Koko reverses into a back body drop. Koko follows up with a neckbreaker and connects with a missile dropkick while managing to land on his feet! And for one brief shining moment we see what could have been from a match between Koko and OG Jacques. Now you're just mocking me, guys. Koko hits a second rope crossbody but the Mountie responds his finishing move, which is basically the Bossman Slam, and he gets the win.

Wow, this was so unexpected and it couldn't have been any worse. If you'd told me earlier that Jacques Rougeau came back as a singles guy I would have been so hyped and this would have been the most depressing experience as I realised what he came back as. It was bad enough with the months of expectation. But seriously, what's happened to this guy? He had so much skill and charisma by the bucketloads and that's disappeared. This is going to be an obscure reference but in the classic Claremont run of the X-Men there's an arc where Arcade traps all them in Murderworld and Colossus gets brainwashed into giving up his loyalties to support Mother Russia. That's what this is. Jacques is Colossus, we're the X-Men and Mother Russia is a rest hold.

Told you it was an obscure one

We go to the back once more to Mooney for another check-in with Savage and Sherri. He calls their treatment of Warrior “a heinous act”. Savage replies that he's always the champion in “past, present, future”. Then, now, forever. With his title shot secured he's now going after Slaughter but there's a huge crash by the door. It's Warrior and he's trying to break it down. Savage and Sherri decide this is the smart time to get out of the dodge and moments later Mooney decides to follow their act. Probably wondering why he can't ever get a nice peaceful interview Tito Santana or someone.

There's a brief cut to Gino and Piper that I wouldn't even mention except for the fact Piper looks coked up to all hell. If it wasn't clear from the stuff he's saying that he's elbow deep in the blow tonight then this would make it obvious. He's leaning back in his chair and he's got his shirt unbuttoned all the way and he's twitchy and man, get me some of what this guy's having.

He also really wants to have sex with that cameraman

Meanwhile, Zombie Mean Gene is with Slaughter and Adnan as they celebrate the WWF title win. Before Zombie Mean Gene can get out a question Slaughter tells him to shut up. He's going to reach out and takes whatever he likes because he has no boundaries and will crush whoever he likes. Remember, less than forty eight hours out from a real life international conflict. Even Piper is outraged at Slaughter's behaviour, going so far as to call him a “son of an unnamed goat”. Harsh words.

With all this indirect promotion for Saddam Hussein one might think the WWF weren't fully behind the war effort and the only way to dispel that notion is through clips of fans supporting Our Troops. So we get a bunch of proto-goons, Lil' J-Rus and abject marks cheering on the forces in Iraq. Gino then announces that Hulk Hogan was all set to tour Saudi Arabia but that idea has been nixed by the Department of Defence. I'm pretty sure the real reason is Hulk pulled out when he realised he wouldn't be going over. Anyway, with that idea out he's going to be going around US army bases instead although if we're sending any wrestler to help the troops it should probably be Corporal Kirchner.

Please lower the safety bar over your head and keep your arms inside the cart at all times because it's time for the roller-coaster that is RUMBLE PROMOS! We kick off with Jake “The Snake” Roberts who sees other men sweating but not him. He says while his chest hair is matted in cocaine sweats. He also mentions he's going after Martel so that feud is still going strong. Earthquake is ready for everyone and he's got a little something special set aside for Hulk. Is it going to be the exact same thing you've tried on him every other time, Earthquake? Greg Valentine says the rear hammer is going to come crashing down. He's looking very pudgy, he's filling the hole left by Honk with food.

I'd even go so far as to say his sweat is glistening

Kerry Von Erich says that when the air goes dark and the tornado touches down he'll end up the winner. Yes, we know what your gimmick is. Legion of Doom open up with an analogy about roller-coasters but it's nowhere near as good as mine was so I'm going to just skip past it. Animal thinks things can happen that have never happened before. Which is true in a factual sense if not a realistic one.

Brother Love claims that the Undertaker will bury all of his opponents so I guess he's seen tapes of Bikertaker already. Taker adds that everyone will rest in peace and in just three words he establishes himself as the worst promo on the roster by a country mile. Geez that was stilted. Hacksaw Jim Duggan is happy to sit in the corner and knock people out of the ring as they come close. Which is strange because he never tries that tactic in the match itself. Rick Martel realises that Jake is in need of some guidance so he'll help out by guiding him over the top rope. Oh poo poo, look who's back! It's Davey Boy Smith and he's going it solo so he's renamed himself the British Bulldog. And judging by the look of him I think I know where he's been for the last three years.

WORST HAIR

Yeah man, I like totally got these done by a monk in Cambodia. Each bead was blessed in a ceremony of blossoms and herbs. And then we meditated on a cliff with birds singing from the trees, it was totally spiritual. I'm a Buddhist now.

And what meaningful words does Bulldog have to grace us with to commemorate this special occasion? He's glad he's a bulldog. Wow. Stunning. Curt Hennig is up next and HE'S THE INTERCONTINENTAL CHAMPION AGAIN! Normal order has been restored. Hennig says he's different to everyone else because he's the best talent that the WWF has ever produced. And the best part is he's arguably right. We finish up with Tugboat who's going to jump right into the middle of things. So hopefully they've reinforced the ring tonight. There's a whole bunch of guys we miss out on promos from. Booo. I hear Tito had prepared a barnstormer.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still remember watching news footage of the Gulf War, and the heady sense of triumph as Stormin' Norman made his moves... only for it all to be dashed by the shocking news that Iraq had launched a surprise flanking maneuver to gain the WWF Title. My mother burst into tears and my father just sat there, fist clenched so tight it was drawing blood, then silently uttered,"....no more. No. More."

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Be prepared for Rest in Peace being only thing the zombie cowboy says for years.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Please don’t be too hard on poor Jacques, because the Mountie is going to do some amazing things before his run wraps up.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
And it would have been all the more enjoyable to read if it was completely unexpected.

(Hell, that's two posts in a row talking about the future! Good work guys)

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Marmaduke! posted:

And it would have been all the more enjoyable to read if it was completely unexpected.

You can't expect people to read things on this text forum.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I could express myself in gif form..!

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

The Mountie actually makes for a terrific heel in Canada, as public perception of the RCMP often isn't nearly as rosy as the RCMP's perception of itself.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Koko B Ware owned.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
I can't wait for Rarity to turn around on the Mountie like she eventually does with most of the gimmicks she hates.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Rarity posted:

I'd even go so far as to say his sweat is glistening

Speaking of coke sweats, at some point in his WWF career Jake got serious about lifting weights and working out and got visibly bigger, and Vince told him to knock that poo poo off because "The Snake" is supposed to be slippery looking worm-man. So Jake just took some time off to not work out and to take more drugs until he got relatively skinny again.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Jason Sextro posted:

The Mountie actually makes for a terrific heel in Canada, as public perception of the RCMP often isn't nearly as rosy as the RCMP's perception of itself.

He actually wasn't allowed to do the Mountie gimmick in Canada because the RCMP look and designation are protected by Canadian law, so when he would do shows in Canada he would change his ring gear slightly, be billed as Jacques Rougeau and they would often have the ring announcer and the commentators give a disclaimer that he did not represent the RCMP in any official capacity.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

That X-Men tangent followed by that Piper screenshot only makes me realize that Piper would've made an awesome Arcade. I suddenly feel cheated out of a kickass episode of the animated series.

DeathChicken posted:

It's too bad you won't see the span between PPVs here, since Warrior does some above and beyond batshit promos for this feud. Basically he declares that he should have had surgery to remove the bits of scepter from his head, but he told the doctors to leave it in, and because of that he can see visions of the future. Which in the long run ends up being foreshadowing of where the feud does end up months down the line (no spoilers).

That reminds me. In-between a couple upcoming shows, there's a pretty major feud that goes on that is COMPLETELY BONKERS, except it isn't referenced in any of the PPVs outside of two wrestlers suddenly hanging out together. I'll have to remember to post the vignettes when it's time because it's incredibly stupid in the absolute best way.

Marmaduke! posted:

Raw 25 already spoiled the development that Undertaker's mic skills never get any better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Be satisfied with that one episode of Highlander where Roddy battles MacLeod in a spooky amusement park.