Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

snaeksikn posted:

Wonder if Ablett is regretting coming over to Geelong yet
ftfy

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

"Fox Sports posted:

Clubs will no longer be able to warm-up as a team on the ground other than briefly before the first bounce.

Clubs generally completed a 15-minute warm-up on the field 25 to 40 minutes out from the first bounce, went back into the rooms and then re-entered the arena for a final kick before the match commenced.

Players will still be permitted to enter the arena an hour or two before the start of play — when there is no curtain raiser — but teams will need to conduct the vast majority of pre-game drills in the confines of the change rooms.

It’s understood the AFL has implemented these changes to accommodate more curtain raisers and fan activation initiatives.

:wtc: No shots at goal unless it's into a stack of tires or 10 minutes before the game.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
That sounds like a terrible decision. Watching the players come out and kick the ball at the goals is one of the fun parts of the pre-match :(

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Yeah that seems like just a pointless thing to get rid off. Who the gently caress doesn't love watching them take potshots at goal or just doing stuff that they'd never get to do in an actual game

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

cmndstab posted:

That sounds like a terrible decision. Watching the players come out and kick the ball at the goals is one of the fun parts of the pre-match :(

What? You like watching the athletes/sportspeople you came to see practice their athletic skills? Nah mate, we'll give you a D grade celebrity with a mic on the big screen trying to get someone to wave on camera for the chance to win a free pie. That'll get the fans engaged.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Chiocci cops a two week ban for a high bump, ending her season.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-03-05/match-review-write-off-jlt-week-two-aflw

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
So the AFL didn't make a rules change and instead had to gently caress about with poo poo this way huh

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.
It was bad enough when they got rid of the magoos

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

BTW has anyone had any trouble putting their tips in?

I keep getting the emails saying REACTIVATE YOUR COMP NOWWWW but as far as I'm aware it's working OK.

I did purge anyone who hasn't logged in since 2016 so if you're one of these people who completely slept over Richmond's premiership year... yeah.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Deadly Hume posted:

BTW has anyone had any trouble putting their tips in?

Yes, in that I keep forgetting to do it

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003
I don't really see why anyone would care if clubs can't warm up 40min before a game? Particularly if it means we get more VFL games beforehand. More fan engagement I can live without though.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I guess it means I don’t have to watch someone like Daniher line up 50m out directly in front and put it dead Center through the middle before the game....then 10mins into the first quarter he has a shot from the exact same spot, filling me with hope, only to see it go out on the full.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

Periphery posted:

I don't really see why anyone would care if clubs can't warm up 40min before a game? Particularly if it means we get more VFL games beforehand. [b]More fan engagement I can live without though.[b]

That's my issue with it. They are taking poo poo away to make room for the horrible, tone deaf attempts at bullshit "hype" that the AFL does so badly.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

BrigadierSensible posted:

That's my issue with it. They are taking poo poo away to make room for the horrible, tone deaf attempts at bullshit "hype" that the AFL does so badly.

But don’t you want to see who can spin the ball on their finger the longest out of Joe from Templestowe and Kylie from Ringwood in the Chemist Warehouse Ball Spinnaroonie Extravaganza for a chance to win a $20 voucher??

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

thepokey posted:

But don’t you want to see who can spin the ball on their finger the longest out of Joe from Templestowe and Kylie from Ringwood in the Chemist Warehouse Ball Spinnaroonie Extravaganza for a chance to win a $20 voucher??

I already watched AFLX more than once this year, I think I can go without.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Periphery posted:

I don't really see why anyone would care if clubs can't warm up 40min before a game? Particularly if it means we get more VFL games beforehand. More fan engagement I can live without though.

If I was confident that there will be more VFL curtain raisers than that would be one thing, but it's the AFL and it's totally gonna be the usual bullshit with D grade celebs that the vast majority of people will just tune out

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Periphery posted:

I will care if injuries increase from not being able to do a proper warmup in the change rooms.

Periphery
Jul 27, 2003

Nutsngum posted:

I will care if injuries increase from not being able to do a proper warmup in the change rooms.

Pretty sure the Saints haven't been doing a proper warmup for the last year or two and they've had one of the best injury lists in the league over that time.

E: I may be mistaken, but they definitely don't do a big warmup directly before the game?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

NTRabbit posted:

Speaking of competition, it's :siren: FANTASY FOOTBALL TIME :siren:

The Goon Golden Spoon Draft League has been carried over, but teams need to rejoin, with the draft currently set to 6pm Saturday March 17, but that's movable.

Supercoach invite link here, currently a 10 team league.

We need to pick a time and date for the draft, start making nominations.

Also, start joining the leagues, Golden Spoon is 7/12, and Silver Spoon is 6/10

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

Our long national nightmare continues as Toby Green is signed to a 6 year contract for a million p/a.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Definitely should have gone with the headline “Toby Greene given six years” just to keep people guessing

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Tom Lynch offered $10.5m over 7 years with afl ambassador payments ontop (easily another 100k a year) to remain at the suns.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

drunkill posted:

Tom Lynch offered $10.5m over 7 years with afl ambassador payments ontop (easily another 100k a year) to never play finals or win a coleman.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ebony Marinoff split her tongue in a head clash against Carlton, and had to have it stitched back together after the game. A request from the coach to keep sewing and stitch her whole mouth shut was declined by the club doctor.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 6, 2018

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Even in just words that makes me wince.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Katie Loynes was on the other end of that clash:

https://twitter.com/CarltonFC/status/969906422853988352

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

NTRabbit posted:

Ebony Marinoff split her tongue in a head clash against Carlton, and had to have it stitched back together after the game. A request from the coach to keep sewing and stitch her whole mouth shut was declined by the club doctor.

Ouch. From memory I thought she played the match out, did I remember it wrong?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

cmndstab posted:

Ouch. From memory I thought she played the match out, did I remember it wrong?

She did.

“It hurt and my tongue felt weird, but I had no idea it was in two pieces!,” Marinoff said.

“It was just after half time, so I was fresh and didn’t think I needed to come off at that stage.”

It wasn’t until after the game that the Club doctor informed Marinoff she’d need several stitches in her tongue.

Despite the bizarre injury, the tough onballer was judged Adelaide’s best player on the night along with co-captain Chelsea Randall.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Sam Naismith has done his ACL, poor guy. Without Tippett, Sydney are very low on ruck stocks.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Lol at letting Tippet go though

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Didn't he retire though?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

I thought he was strongly encouraged to gently caress off. I'm sure that they had good reasons, allegedly he just wasnt putting in at training, but still 1 ruck > 0 ruck

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

monolithburger posted:

Didn't he retire though?

He "retired", where they did a joint announcement that his injuries were too much, but in reality Sydney were sick of his bullshit and paid him to gently caress off a year early.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
They could ask him nicely if he wouldn’t mind playing, but that would be pretty embarrassing.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!
Do "retirements" even officially occur before the list lodgement at the end of the year anyway? I guess if they are claiming to have saved some money on his contract, it must have, but in my mind he's still technically on the list.

It's a bit like last year when Scott Thompson retired mid-season, and then there was some talk about him possibly getting a call-up late in the year to cover an injury.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

He is still on the list, but if they were to bring him back to play it would undermine their stated claim that he is so chronically injured that he is no longer capable of playing.

snaeksikn
Feb 28, 2010

:qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq::qq:
they still have callum sinclair who might end up relishing the responsibility

Apolis
Mar 4, 2004

They also have Darcy Cameron, who I believe was pretty close to playing last season.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I thought Tippett's retirement was a Salary thing.

As in because he is retired, they only have to pay out a percentage of the last year of his contract. Hence why a bunch of the big monster long term contracts are back-loaded.

But I could be very very wrong on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

BrigadierSensible posted:

I thought Tippett's retirement was a Salary thing.

As in because he is retired, they only have to pay out a percentage of the last year of his contract. Hence why a bunch of the big monster long term contracts are back-loaded.

But I could be very very wrong on this.

Nah they're paying him out in full