Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

S5 Coming to a Neflix near you March 2 2018!

Season 5 trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYwreVlyc0g
A thing that happened: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoeGe82AFm0

A lot has happened since the Paladins first went to space! The galaxy has coalesced into three factions, namely:

The Good

Shiro

Probably a Clone?
Shiro's had a rough go of it. He's been captured by the Galara twice, escaped twice, we met an alternate universe version of him, and since he's been back the last time he's been less Space Dad, and more Space Squad Leader.

Pidge

The Green lion's paladin never kept her priority - finding her father and brother - a secret. She's had some success!

Hunk

The often underestimated Yellow paladin, and space gourmond has shown a surprising resiliance.

Keith

Is mostly working with the Blade of Marmora, which has left the Red lion vacant for...

Lance

Our favorite sharpshooter keeps on keeping on, but hasn't really found his niche. He used to pilot the Blue lion, which is now piloted by...

Allura

The princess has added lion piloting to her responsibilities, in addition to being the leader of the resistance to the Galara Empire.

Coran

Still hillarious.

Space Mice

The mice inhabit the castle, and continue to kinda-sorta represent the paladins through little skits for Allura.

The Bad

Emperor Zarkon

Now back on the throne, and back on the hunt for Voltron!

Haggar

Used to be an Altean!
An ageless witch and leader of the Druids, the mystical order of the Galra Empire. Haggar uses her mastery of both dark magic and science to create the giant monsters that plague Voltron and its paladins. She also seems to remember more of the Good Old Days than she lets on.

The... Ugly?

Lotor

When we last saw the clever and charasmatic Galara prince, he wasn't in the best spot, but it's too soon to count him out.

Ezor, Acxa, Zethrid

It's hard to say where these three will end up, but I'm thinking they'll end up wherever Lotor does.

Honorable Mentions

Colleen Holt

Husband and son status: Still lost in space.
Daughter status: Still ran off, joined the Acadamy under an assumed name, and disappeared in an incident involving aliens, the military, and a big robotic space lion.
I'm sure Colleen's doing very well.

Kaltenecker

Living her best life.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also, can I petition to have Bii-Boh-Bi added to the OP character spread. And by that I mean "demand"?

Bii-Boh-Bi

Cruelly forgotten from the initial draft of this OP, Bii-Boh-Bi may be Dave Coulier's finest achievement.

Rhonne posted:

Oh, Bii-Boh-Bi gets a spot, but no love for Fun Sentry? I see how it is. :colbert:
Fun Sentry

Fun Sentry is a new fan favorite, sure to play a role in the coming conflicts.
See you later, pali-dudes!

Credit Nodosaur's earlier thread for some of the the pictures!

OB_Juan fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Mar 8, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Season was quite good. Excited for the next season.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I vote we change the title to the Fun Sentry Appreciation Station.

OB_Juan posted:

Colleen Holt

Husband and son status: Still lost in space.
Daughter status: Still ran off, joined the Acadamy under an assumed name, and disappeared in an incident involving aliens, the military, and a big robotic space lion.
I'm sure Colleen's doing very well.

Well at least she'll have her husband back soon, so progress I guess.

New season was really good, lots of big things happening. I really like how killing Zarkon didn't just suddenly stop the huge evil empire, though now they seem like they're mostly busy killing each other, so that's an improvement at least.

Haggar is probably going to be the biggest wild card next season since we have no idea what her goal is.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So Keith is Half Galra? nifty. Though One of them is going to end up dating one of Lotor's generations. Hunk and Acxa might work, but she did save Lance, so maybe thats what we'll get.

Its amazing though, how they've created an excellent remake of what was kind of a silly show from the 80s. I've heard rumors they plan on doing the same thing with He-Man and She-Ra, which would has a lot of potential.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Goddammit and I just spent all night typing up a Voltron OP myself too :manning:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

twistedmentat posted:

So Keith is Half Galra? nifty.

We knew that already.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Rhonne posted:

Well at least she'll have her husband back soon, so progress I guess.

I kind of hope that at some point in Season 6 or Season 7 that Sam comes riding to the rescue with a whole fleet of Galaxy Garrison ships all upgraded with Altean/Olkari FTL magitech to save his kids from some hopeless crisis. Because you just know that Earth is gonna play some kind of proper role in this story at some point, right?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

We knew that already.

You'd think he'd be more purple.

nine-gear crow posted:

I kind of hope that at some point in Season 6 or Season 7 that Sam comes riding to the rescue with a whole fleet of Galaxy Garrison ships all upgraded with Altean/Olkari FTL magitech to save his kids from some hopeless crisis. Because you just know that Earth is gonna play some kind of proper role in this story at some point, right?

I think Earth will come under attack at some point and the team will have to come to the rescue. We have to get en episode where everyone goes to see their family at some point(especially Lance, who seems to miss them the most).

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Mar 6, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
I said this in the SU thread but I was really pleasantly surprised by this season. I was really wondering if the show was going to address the fact that the Galra empire is well, an empire of people and can't just be taken down by taking down its leader, and unless the Voltron gang was willing to commit genocide, they'd eventually have to find a way to sue for peace with the Galrans they aren't destroying (though fwiw, it's pretty clear that they've killed thousands of Galrans up to this point, right?). And so far, season 5 has addressed that really well.

As someone who watched the old series, it's also been really interesting to see how they've chosen to integrate those elements into the new series. I'm still continually wondering if they're going to kill off a paladin, which ratchets up the tension any time Shiro or Keith is in danger (I'm pretty sure Lance, Hunk, Alura, and Pidge are safe forever, though).

e: Also I'm hoping they start to lean harder into the Alura - Lotor angle. From an intergalactic politics standpoint, it would make a ton of sense for them to marry and solidify an alliance, so I hope they at least explore that concept if not a romantic angle. Though Lotor is very, very pretty so I'm expecting more love triangle drama there down the line.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 6, 2018

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006
I think we all know who's really going to swoop in at the climactic battle to save the day.

YES bread fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 6, 2018

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

TheChirurgeon posted:

As someone who watched the old series, it's also been really interesting to see how they've chosen to integrate those elements into the new series. I'm still continually wondering if they're going to kill off a paladin, which ratchets up the tension any time Shiro or Keith is in danger (I'm pretty sure Lance, Hunk, Alura, and Pidge are safe forever, though).

Well something's gotta give with the whole Shire/Kuron situation. The question is, what happens with the Black Lion after that. The most obvious path would be to just have Keith come back and take over, but they already did the "something happens to Shiro, Keith pilots the Black Lion" plot, so doing it again would be a bit weird.

It would be neat if they had someone else take over the Black Lion(Lance, Allura, Lotor?)

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MonsterEnvy posted:

We knew that already.

I thought it was just suggested, no confirmed.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Rhonne posted:

Well something's gotta give with the whole Shire/Kuron situation. The question is, what happens with the Black Lion after that. The most obvious path would be to just have Keith come back and take over, but they already did the "something happens to Shiro, Keith pilots the Black Lion" plot, so doing it again would be a bit weird.

It would be neat if they had someone else take over the Black Lion(Lance, Allura, Lotor?)

I think there's about a 0% chance that Lotor stays around Team Voltron for very long, and about the same for him piloting a Lion for more than two episodes (after all, he's got to pilot one briefly to steal it...)

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

OB_Juan posted:

I think there's about a 0% chance that Lotor stays around Team Voltron for very long, and about the same for him piloting a Lion for more than two episodes (after all, he's got to pilot one briefly to steal it...)

He already has Lotron, he just needs Allura's new alchemy knowledge to perfect it. I assumed that was the whole point about him seeking out Allura to help him find Oriande, after he failed to take the Sincline ship through the rift.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Rhonne posted:

I vote we change the title to the Fun Sentry Appreciation Station.

Fun Sentry is good, but can it make milkshakes?

Oh, and, the new season's only six episodes long, and came several days ago, I think it's fair to drop spoiler tags at this point!

Edit: He posted, three posts after spoilering an entire post.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen
Lotor's voice acting is always great but this season was amazing :allears:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I think Lotor will betray them all. But Allura might still side with him afterwards.

The interesting thing they've shown is that Allura is not all smiles and sunshine and has the potential to be as oppressive as the galra, as seen in the alternate universe. She and Lotor aren't as dissimilar as they'd like, and if Lotor has anything that could help resuscitate the Alteans somehow using Quintessence Magic, it would be very hard for her to turn him down even if she ends up seeing his true colors.

I guess last season I was disappointed at how fast Lotor fell from grace after being built up as a threat. But Lotor's emotional manipulation does not work as well in galra might-makes-right culture, and needed to be in a place where he could manipulate the team. He now has the potential to make the team itself undo everything the team has worked towards.

I'm not sure where they're going to go with the alchemy business. It's really not nearly the explosive finale last season was. More like an omen, but not really foretelling anything directly, just that Lotor is still Lotor, and that Haggar is going to be a threat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Also, can I petition to have Bii-Boh-Bi added to the OP character spread. And by that I mean "demand"?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm surprised Lotor hasn't betrayed them yet. He's had at least a dozen or more times to do it, but he's into playing a really long game here. I was thinking Hagar and him had something planned but it seems that no, there isn't collusion between them.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
He doesn't really have all the cards in his hand. Once he's able to overpower everyone on his own he won't have to keep the charade up, and step one will be the quintessence operation.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nine-gear crow posted:

Done.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

He doesn't really have all the cards in his hand. Once he's able to overpower everyone on his own he won't have to keep the charade up, and step one will be the quintessence operation.
It's this.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

I'm surprised Lotor hasn't betrayed them yet. He's had at least a dozen or more times to do it, but he's into playing a really long game here. I was thinking Hagar and him had something planned but it seems that no, there isn't collusion between them.

There's no collusion, but Haggar seems like she's using "Shiro" to help him further his goals. Who knows why though, either she's feeling conflicted because she's slowly remembering that he's her son, or she's letting him get close to his goal before she swoops in to steal it all away from him.

Oh, Bii-Boh-Bi gets a spot, but no love for Fun Sentry? I see how it is. :colbert:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Rhonne posted:

There's no collusion, but Haggar seems like she's using "Shiro" to help him further his goals. Who knows why though, either she's feeling conflicted because she's slowly remembering that he's her son, or she's letting him get close to his goal before she swoops in to steal it all away from him.

This is why I’m hoping that Haggar actually turns out to be the main villain of the series. It’d be fun to watch Lotor get absolutely blindsided when she unfurls her master plan.

I just want a scene where like all of Team Voltron has Lotor at gunpoint (like even Coran) and Lotor just cops and goes “Yes, okay fine. I was totally planning to betray you, you caught me. But hey, that’s not gonna happen anymore because guess what? Turns out my mom’s even crazier than I am and wants to kill us all, so I kinda need your help to stop her. We cool again?”

Because Lotor could talk down a nuke that was in the process of exploding.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
I'd be pretty disappointed if Lotor does a full heel turn again. Not because he wouldn't make a great villain (he would/does), but because A. it's stupidly obvious, and B. They'd just need to create another Lotor-like character who could rule the Galra, and bring them out of nowhere to do so. Best-case, it could be one of the Blades I guess, but none of them are that well-developed.

I agree that it'd be a cooler twist for Haggar to become the big bad

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Lotor's been pretty clear why he's working with team Voltron - he wants an infinite source of energy for the Galra Empire, so they can stop their conquest. When that fails to materialize, he won't have any further need to work with them, and they'lll go back to being a threat to him. It's less a face-turn/heel-turn situation, more like everyone is acting according to their needs, and for the moment, those align.

Haggar is doing a great job of being the biggest problem the protagonists don't know about.

Rhonne posted:

He's always been in the OP of our hearts.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

OB_Juan posted:

Haggar is doing a great job of being the biggest problem the protagonists don't know about.

Haggar has always been the biggest threat. Even when Zarkon was around Haggar was more competent then him and she was the one sending most of the threats at them and was the one that allowed Zarkon to track them. She also created most of the stuff Zarkon himself used.

As Lotor said Zarkon was little more then one of her monsters. Even if she had genuine loyalty to him.

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style
I'm hoping Cmdr Holt comes back with an army from earth and at the head of that army is that weird knockoff Voltron Vehicle Force with like 10 different vehicles.

I think Lotor is definitely going to betray them, it is what he did all the time back in the day. He had like two major characteristic I recall: Double crosses everyone, has a boner for Alura, wants to rule the Galra. That all gets shaken up when they introduced Queen Merla...

Writh fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Mar 8, 2018

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Writh posted:

I'm hoping Cmdr Holt comes back with an army from earth and at the head of that army is that weird knockoff Voltron Vehicle Force with like 10 different vehicles.

I think Lotor is definitely going to betray them, it is what he did all the time back in the day. He had like two major characteristic I recall: Double crosses everyone, has a boner for Alura, wants to rule the Galra. That all gets shaken up when they introduced Queen Merla...

I'd forgotten Queen Merla.

Check out that bird though:

II hope she shows up, and is the MVP of her season

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

OB_Juan posted:

I'd forgotten Queen Merla.

Check out that bird though:

II hope she shows up, and is the MVP of her season

My only concern with bringing in Merla is that it's going to be hard to visually differentiate her from the host of other female half-Galra villains they've introduced. Still, interested to see what they do there.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhonne posted:

Yea, that's pretty neat, Hagar remembering her former life and Lotor being her son, though Lotor's rejection of that idea was pretty harsh.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheChirurgeon posted:

My only concern with bringing in Merla is that it's going to be hard to visually differentiate her from the host of other female half-Galra villains they've introduced. Still, interested to see what they do there.

Most of the Galra Females we have seen recently are full Galra. Only Lotor's former minions were half.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MonsterEnvy posted:

Most of the Galra Females we have seen recently are full Galra. Only Lotor's former minions were half.

There's no way Keith's mom is full Galra

Writh
Dec 31, 2008

Big D's chillin' over here, wasteland style

TheChirurgeon posted:

I don't think Merla was a Galra. *google fu* Ummm it doesn't really say what she is but she has psychic powers, and looks waaaaaaaaay more like a space elf than even current day Lotor. If they do bring her in I hope they skip her minions who talk simultaneously, even as a kid that was annoying.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Merla wasn't from Planet Doom, she had her own conquered corner of the galaxy she came from before allying with Zarkon.

Everything in the OG series gets a vague shrug of lumped under "Drules" but there's very clearly different species umbrella'd under that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

TheChirurgeon posted:

There's no way Keith's mom is full Galra

Why not. The Galra have tons of differences in appearance. Also given that she was in charge of that base I assume she is pure.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Why not. The Galra have tons of differences in appearance. Also given that she was in charge of that base I assume she is pure.

You'd think Keith would be more purple if she was a full Galra. I guess Galra genetics are just really weird like that.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So, I just started watching this, finished all the seasons in two days, and that cliffhanger left me feeling about how I assume Lotor did after being booted from the Temple. Give me moooore

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I think this definitely needs to be enjoyed by the thread, just because Josh Keaton is a treasure (and he really can sing, holy poo poo!) :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Rhonne posted:

You'd think Keith would be more purple if she was a full Galra. I guess Galra genetics are just really weird like that.
Or human genetics are really weird in the show.

nine-gear crow posted:

I think this definitely needs to be enjoyed by the thread, just because Josh Keaton is a treasure (and he really can sing, holy poo poo!) :allears:
This is a good thing.