Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
Ladies and gentlemen, Italy's first black Senator:

e: I'm the people nervously grimacing in the background

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Those loving Ivans are at it again

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

hackbunny posted:

lol

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lol It can't be that hard to trick Italians

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!

Byolante posted:

Look up operation gladio and propaganda deux. The literal answer is US interference in the cold war creating a shadow government tasked with systematically destroying the concept of leftist politics.

that was like 50 years ago, whatever

and the communists were winning more than 30% of the vote in the 70s

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

hackbunny posted:

There are no leftists in Italy

where'd they go tho

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

hackbunny posted:

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

LinYutang posted:

where'd they go tho

sleeping with da fishes

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

so, like, who are the people that elect black fascists

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Office Pig posted:

Italians lol

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/nycguidovoice/status/856954126210539520

Frijolero
Jan 24, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Office Pig posted:

The Nazi Party had some early Roma and Jewish members :chloe:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

(hitler gets his 23andme results back) ahhhh gently caress!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Drunkboxer posted:

sleeping with da fishes

I thought you said he was dead

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
like, did you guys already forget sheriff clarke

people are just goddamn stupid

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Karl Barks posted:

(hitler gets his 23andme results back) ahhhh gently caress!

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

LinYutang posted:

where'd they go tho

Worst case scenario: they won. As conditions improved (a good thing!), and people got richer and more educated and negotiated better working conditions, they no longer had to rely on unions, mutual aid societies, workers' recreational clubs or the Communist party's free night schools, and I guess they kind of forgot what the left was good for

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

I guess the secret to leftist success is to never win 🥂

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Office Pig posted:

Today on Facebook I got someone to outright say "no, it's not a racist party" (then I asked: "has it never been a racist party, or is it no longer a racist party? if so, when did it stop being a racist party?". I'll get someone to answer those, one day)

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

LinYutang posted:

that was like 50 years ago, whatever

and the communists were winning more than 30% of the vote in the 70s

Thats no longer relevant I cry as a member of propaganda deux is still the leader of a major political party.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Office Pig posted:

It's useful to have one around, so you can point to him and say "see, not racist! :smug:"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

LinYutang posted:

I guess the secret to leftist success is to never win 🥂

Recently deceased comedian Paolo Villaggio already rang the warning bell back in the 70s: he worked as a corporate entertainer back then (an experience that inspired his legendary character, meek accountant Ugo Fantozzi), and he warned that communism was as important for office workers as it was for factory workers, if not more so, but it was utterly failing to be relevant to them

Villaggio was quite the character: World War II witness (he was born in 1932, grew up under Fascist rule and lived through the Allied occupation of port city Genoa), lifelong communist, history buff, one-time songwriter and incredibly bitter and mean to the very end, both on and off stage. I should make an effortpost on him some time, maybe translate one of his short stories

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

hackbunny posted:

Recently deceased comedian Paolo Villaggio already rang the warning bell back in the 70s: he worked as a corporate entertainer back then (an experience that inspired his legendary character, meek accountant Ugo Fantozzi), and he warned that communism was as important for office workers as it was for factory workers, if not more so, but it was utterly failing to be relevant to them
if only dan nainan had a fraction of the insight as this guy

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

Dan Nainan doesn't have a fraction of anything Paolo Villaggio had. We're talking a guy who wrote stuff like "[the dog's] name was Ivan the Terrible XXXII, lineal descendant of Ivan the Terrible I, which had belonged to Tsar Nicholas: legendary steppe muzhik hunting champion, executed by firing squad on the Red Square as an enemy of the people during the October revolution". It took me two decades to get the joke the noble breed dogs that can sniff out poors (in my defense I saw the movie as a kid and never rewatched it critically until recently)

e: oh and of course the song satirizing Charles Martel's return from the victory at Poitiers that I already mentioned (one, how the hell do you even come up with that in the first place and two, how is it so good?). And a ton of other stuff

hackbunny has issued a correction as of 12:01 on Mar 8, 2018

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

get that OUT of my face posted:

People look at me and wonder what tendency I am. Well my father was a Trot and my mother was a Stalinist so I can only get my ice picks in one country

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

People look at me and wonder what tendency I am. Well my father was a Trot and my mother was a Stalinist so I can only get my ice picks in one country
lmao

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/972068036692889600

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ehh im drivin three people off a cliff ova hea

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

LinYutang posted:

where'd they go tho
It turned into Technocratic Nerds vs Berlusconi in the post-USSR 1990s, with the central aim of most True Nerds being to get into the higher ranks of the European institutions (which Mario Draghi, Romano Prodi and so on would say worked out for them!).

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
this time he's driving off the whole of italy :getin:

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Kurtofan posted:

With recent developments at the EU getting out is actually the smart move.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Kurtofan posted:

Who Wants To Be A Lira Millionaire £20 pub quiz prize is comin back baby :getin:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

better than spider-man 3

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

hackbunny posted:

Today on Facebook I got someone to outright say "no, it's not a racist party" (then I asked: "has it never been a racist party, or is it no longer a racist party? if so, when did it stop being a racist party?". I'll get someone to answer those, one day)

I thought la Lega was primarily a separatist party, at least originally.

Fun fact: I asked my cousin about the party while walking through Verona and she told me to shut up because people would yell at us because they hate the fash lol

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

a primate posted:

I thought la Lega was primarily a separatist party, at least originally.
*nodding as their party conference trades jokes about gypsies and southern leeches*

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

jBrereton posted:

*nodding as their party conference trades jokes about gypsies and southern leeches*

hating gypsies is a national pastime

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Byolante posted:

With recent developments at the EU getting out is actually the smart move.

eventually the EU is just going to be France and Germany domming Greece forever after everyone else has either left or been booted out

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
why five stars anyway

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

why five stars anyway

five golden manbabies movement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Oh yeah it's been well known for years. No, the real funny part about M5S is that they promised a "citizenship income" (a glorified unemployment check, modelled after the German system) and immediately after their "victory" (technically, they didn't win - the Lega-Forza Italia coalition won - although they are the single biggest party), some of their voters turned up at tax assistance centers demanding the forms to request it. They didn't take a "no" for an answer either, as many said that they'd escalate to city hall. How do you even begin to reach people so utterly naive and ignorant?

• Locked thread