Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The super hope program was a recent thing. Izuru Kamakura was also the name of the guy who founded Hope's Peak a hundred years ago or whatever it was, they just renamed Hajime after him to be poetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Sindai posted:

The super hope program was a recent thing. Izuru Kamakura was also the name of the guy who founded Hope's Peak a hundred years ago or whatever it was, they just renamed Hajime after him to be poetic.

Yeah, they claim the program was Hope's Peak Original Goal, and I can see it depending on the timelines involved, but I suspect it might have been a recent thing and furthermore given what we know of Kyoko's father it might not have had the full backing of the school, at least what was done to Hajime.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
It could easily have been the original goal but Izuru Kamukura's successors and faculty decided to take it to their own hands. Kinda like Boss' legacy was interpreted pretty drat differently by Big Boss and Patriots.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

GuyUpNorth posted:

It could easily have been the original goal but Izuru Kamukura's successors and faculty decided to take it to their own hands. Kinda like Boss' legacy was interpreted pretty drat differently by Big Boss and Patriots.

So the Comstar Blake Dilemma all over again.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Clearly, the only solution now is for somebody to hack the Gibson. Hack the Planet!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Just think, if only the original gang had the balls to kill the brain dead Ultimate Zeros before stepping into the computer world all this would be a moot point.

Everyone graduates and has their new personalities uploaded and Junko gets to wake up in a bunch of corpses.

Or, as the saying goes - evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: Click here to watch this update's video! :siren:

: This doesn't look good. I think we're gonna have exactly one shot at this.

: Neither of these Truth Bullets seem like the right choice going in to this mess... Let's see what else we can do and do it quickly!

> Absorb "hope"

Shoot "despair"

: Wait, huh?

: I-It's not working! Our cylinder isn't working!

: We're taking damage...

: Hajime! Snap out of it!

: I can't do anything!

: Nothing is working any longer...!

: ...

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
Well, that doesn't seem good.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I can't believe FPzero is loving dead.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Gorilla Salad posted:

Just think, if only the original gang had the balls to kill the brain dead Ultimate Zeros before stepping into the computer world all this would be a moot point.

Everyone graduates and has their new personalities uploaded and Junko gets to wake up in a bunch of corpses.

Or, as the saying goes - evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

There's a little part of me having trouble getting swept up in the drama and big dilemma here because yeah, I keep thinking of other, more obvious ways this could've been handled that the game isn't even acknowledging to explain away.

This is going full worst case scenario for everyone involved and ALL of them are being sacrificed to prevent Junko from getting out, and I keep thinking the DR1 three at least should be smarter than this.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
At least close your mouth Hajime. You're going to get a fly in there.

Or start drooling.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Zoe posted:

There's a little part of me having trouble getting swept up in the drama and big dilemma here because yeah, I keep thinking of other, more obvious ways this could've been handled that the game isn't even acknowledging to explain away.

This is going full worst case scenario for everyone involved and ALL of them are being sacrificed to prevent Junko from getting out, and I keep thinking the DR1 three at least should be smarter than this.

Kyoko and Byakuya sure but Naegi is the one pushing to save the Remnants of Despair in the first place and as you may recall when the other two showed up Byakuya literally complained about Naegi rushing in without discussing things first.

So sure Kyoko and Byakuya would have come up with a smarter more optimal solution but Naegi led them to this one because he wants to save people and both of them follow him because he’s proven himself.

I think it’s worth noting that the other Remnants may currently be Brain Dead but we’ve seen proof that their data isn’t fully gone from the simulation, they were all showing up before entering the ruins after all.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I don't think telling them that they killed the comatose classmates would go over well in convincing them to do the shutdown or graduation.

It'd also spit in the face of Naegi taking them away as a means of rehabilitation in the first place.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...so I notice nobody's really mentioned what happens if we push "Repeat". I can't help but think that's deliberate.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Glazius posted:

...so I notice nobody's really mentioned what happens if we push "Repeat". I can't help but think that's deliberate.

I was kind of expecting using it to bring everyone back to game start was how we'd get the nescessary quorum for the shutdown.

And then all this happened and I'm sitting here smacking my head on a table because nobody is considering the big 'reset' button in front of them.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

I was kind of expecting using it to bring everyone back to game start was how we'd get the nescessary quorum for the shutdown.

And then all this happened and I'm sitting here smacking my head on a table because nobody is considering the big 'reset' button in front of them.

I'm pretty sure "Repeat" won't undelete avatars; it doesn't mean repeat the entire scenario I thought, just mind-wiping all the students (and not Junko, since she's a teacher) of everything that happened and putting them back at the start of the scenario.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: ............................................... :siren:

: I can't do it...

: ...Huh? C-Can't do it...?

: I...can't choose... You guys are telling us the world's going to be destroyed unless we sacrifice ourselves... And that...I can't decide... I can't...choose either one...
: ...H-Hajime!

: Shut up! Leave me alone!

: This...this is just too much... Why do I...why do I have to be a part of this...?
: I mean, I'm different from the rest of you... And I don't even have a talent... But even so...I got dragged into this... And now...my existence is going to disappear?
: Ha...hahaha, I don't understand it at all.

: Both choices...are hopeless...

: H-How...much of ourselves do we have to sacrifice?

: This burden...don't you dare make us shoulder it...

: ...There's no way we can handle this on our own.

: Everyone...get ahold of yourselves!
: It's impossible!

: For someone like me...it's impossible... I can't choose the future...!

: Hope...despair...do whatever you want! It's not my problem!

: Th-That's...!

: Annnnnnd there's no answer... So you've chosen to make no choice at all.
: Jeez, once again, this went exactly as I expected.
: I get so hopelessly bored when everything goes according to plan. Oh well, since I have everyone's data, I kinda figured things would play out like this.

: That is, unless something else hopelessly unpredictable happens...
: Well, I can say that...but the chance of something convenient happening is hopeless.

: After all, this is a game! A world where everything progresses with predetermined harmony!
: ...Fine, I guess it's okay. You don't hafta force yourself to make a choice. A futureless future... I think it's fine if that exists too.

: As long as you don't yearn for hope... You never fall victim to despair...

: That goes for me, too... As long as I don't yearn for despair, I'll never need to hope for it.

: So let's all free ourselves from this curse and stay here as the best of friends! Let's...immerse ourselves in this tropical island life forever and ever...

: Forever and ever...and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and everrrrrrrr.

Music fades out.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Also, it's obvious, but people should listen to this part just for the Imposter's voice.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

I think this is the first time we see Hajime's air guitar pose. It's nice.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Also, it's obvious, but people should listen to this part just for the Imposter's voice.

It takes the ultimate imposter to impersonate someone without looking, sounding or acting like them!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Happy ending achieved!

Good LP everyone

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

One thing I will say this game does well is sell how much the characters care about the rest of the cast that died despite the short time they knew each other.

The best we've gotten from the DR1 cast is being sad about Sakura in Chapter 4, and then a few allusions to Sayaka and Chihiro in this game.

BlazeEmblem posted:

I think this is the first time we see Hajime's air guitar pose. It's nice.

It is. It became a meme for some reason, too.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012
I really like this part, it's very jarring and somehow off.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

ApplesandOranges posted:

or for Hajime's voice, his voice actor knocked this part outta the loving park and that's coming from a huge Japanese-voices snob

I always liked Hajime as a protagonist a lot more than Naegi (not that I don't like Naegi though) and the contrast is especially strong here - instead of being all optimistic about hope saving the day, we get to see him realistically freak the gently caress out, I just love it.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm glad we got the good ending!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Time until Reality (and the bodies) hit the floor: T minus......

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And they all lived happily ever after :unsmith:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
I really like this game, and this entire finale is a good part of why. As has been mentioned, Hajime's voice actor kills it and the way he reacts- by entirely losing his mind- is a lot more relatable than Makoto was at essentially the same point, which adds a lot of juicy pathos to the scene. And the very last part is indeed off in the best way; the first time I got here, I wondered if I had made a mistake somewhere and tried to find it, even as I knew that other than the trial questions, the path is pretty much a straight shot.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

Its a training regimen, not a regiment, clearly he is the traitor and must be killed immediately.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Maybe catcoach prepared actual regiment for training. Sonia gets to practice acting royally, Ibuki gets to perform for stricter critics...

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

:siren: ............................................... :siren:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Let's do the time warp again!

warp again Let's do the time!

time the Let's again do warp!

again warp time the do Let's!

again again again again again!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
We got the good ending

got the good ending We

the good ending We got

good ending We got the

ending We got the good

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Are you going to take a look at the Nihil bullet's evidence info?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The game is over for real, you guys

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
This game is so weird

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

dancingbears posted:

Are you going to take a look at the Nihil bullet's evidence info?

Does it have info? I thought it was meant to indicate there was nothing.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Does it have info? I thought it was meant to indicate there was nothing.

It's more poetry than info or anything, but there's absolutely something there.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Hemingway To Go! posted:

hgse iwTd os em raisi

I agree

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
One thing that strikes me as odd is that apparently the survivors are 'restored' to their pre-despair selves but Hinata doesn't seem to be completely down with the idea of turning into some super talent zombie. I'm not sure if that's part of what they meant by it being imperfect or if Naegi/Junko just aren't entirely sure how it'll work out.

Fedule posted:

Look when you're gonna run with a cliché, you better loving run with it.

Yeah, like that.

I played DR2 around the time when the JUNKOS thing was going high in Orenonen's thread. My Japanese isn't super great so I wasn't entirely sure what was going on (not that it's much easier to know when you understand the language, apparently. :v:) but when giant AI Junko burst onto the scene I just about dropped my PSP laughing.

resurgam40 posted:

I really like this game, and this entire finale is a good part of why. As has been mentioned, Hajime's voice actor kills it and the way he reacts- by entirely losing his mind- is a lot more relatable than Makoto was at essentially the same point, which adds a lot of juicy pathos to the scene. And the very last part is indeed off in the best way; the first time I got here, I wondered if I had made a mistake somewhere and tried to find it, even as I knew that other than the trial questions, the path is pretty much a straight shot.

Apparently a lot of people didn't like the ending and I'm not sure why. Yeah it kinda goes off the rails, but not in an unprecedented way. The fact that this is apparently all possible because of how much Hinata wanted to be special only to be unable to take the pressure when thrust into center stage is perfect/terrible.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 8, 2018

• Locked thread